Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you feel are the most underused/underplayed cards and Combos in Legacy?

Re: What do you feel are the most underused/underplayed cards and Combos in Legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Krosan Tusker
    People are stuck on a Landstill rut in the entire control archetype, and only on a few certain builds of Landstill. There's quite a few ways to approach control in this format.
    Totally aggreed. It's the same with most other decks, unfortunately. It seems that people spend to few effort into building other decks.
    Actually Standstill + manlands really isn't a very innovative game plan.

The problem is, most people don't accept less played cards and only focus on already proven synergies/strategies and cards.
    I once played against some competetive deck (I think it was ITF?) on MWS and won with a single Kodama of the North Tree. He could'nt believe it and flamed me with: "LOL, look what you play. n00b!!11" and left.
    Or new players, who wants to get into Legacy, go to the forums and ask: What should I play? If they then post a rogue decklist, with let's say some Goblin Welder interactions or their casual Reanimator deck, the most common answers would be: This is crap. Get duals and Forces and play Threshold instead.
    So he believes the common opinion and we have another boring Threshold deck on the next tourny.

People argue that Goblin Welder is a */1 and dies to easily but at the same time they play Dark Confidant.

@Frenger: Crop Rotation is already abused in Eternal Garden.dec

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Re: What do you feel are the most underused/underplayed cards and Combos in Legacy?

I have to say this again.

...Goblin Welder?

Seriously. All this other crap is great and all, but the little red dude is the most criminally underplayed card in the format.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

the interesting thing is to figure out, why those cards (maybe especially welder) are underplayed. ideas?

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Meditate
    Jace Beleren
    Golbin Welder
    Gigapede
    Intuition
    Living Wish
    Gaea's Cradle
    Cryptic Command
    Spellstutter Sprite
    Skeletal Scrying
    Disrupt
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Spatula, the problem with Goblin Welder is not him. It's the deck he belongs in. Granted, with a card as busted as that one there are probably a lot of uses. But his interaction with Survival of the Fittest screams broken. (With any other engine the little fella is pretty vulnerable.) And while getting him online is generally deadly in short order, the disruption for the deck is common and powerful (Needle, Grip, Force, etc) Crypt is not so good against it btw. You could possibly cut the combo pieces in favor of a more aggressive approach, etc, etc. But even if you get the usual negotiation of aggro-to-combo ratio correct, you still face the problem of a terrible game against combo. Bottom line: I love the deck [Finn Sept 2004, 1st post ever: Here is my Welder Survival list, can you guys help?]

...but Threshold owns it. So does TES. And most modern Landstill builds....etc.

The trick would be to find a way for Welder to be featured as effectively without Survival.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Spatula, the problem with Goblin Welder is not him. It's the deck he belongs in. Granted, with a card as busted as that one there are probably a lot of uses. But his interaction with Survival of the Fittest screams broken. (With any other engine the little fella is pretty vulnerable.) And while getting him online is generally deadly in short order, the disruption for the deck is common and powerful (Needle, Grip, Force, etc) Crypt is not so good against it btw. You could possibly cut the combo pieces in favor of a more aggressive approach, etc, etc. But even if you get the usual negotiation of aggro-to-combo ratio correct, you still face the problem of a terrible game against combo. Bottom line: I love the deck [Finn Sept 2004, 1st post ever: Here is my Welder Survival list, can you guys help?]

...but Threshold owns it. So does TES. And most modern Landstill builds....etc.

The trick would be to find a way for Welder to be featured as effectively without Survival.
    Thank All That Is Holy that Wizards R&D put "with converted mana cost 1 or less" on Artificer's Intuition.

astral slide + eternal witness.

Sic transit gloria mundi...
    Dec 2007

I have to second Fact or Fiction. Whenever it's played against an opponent they instantly lose confidence. They assume they won't make a good decision.

The card stands on its own, but it's as much a mind game as anything else. Don't underestimate mind games.

Don't overestimate them either.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by catholicspidey View Post
    I have to second Fact or Fiction. Whenever it's played against an opponent they instantly lose confidence. They assume they won't make a good decision.

The card stands on its own, but it's as much a mind game as anything else. Don't underestimate mind games.

Don't overestimate them either.

Fact or Fiction is amazing. Players sometimes see it as such a bad card, they get cocky and aggressively split piles like 2 lands, wog, swords, and cspell into

wog, land vs. swords, cspell, land.

That is a terrible pile. Depending on the board position, whichever pile you take, you're going to benefit from it extremely heavily because whichever pile you get gives you a land drop and card advantage.

The card is yes, very good for mind games when you're playing it in whichever phase you're playing it at; main phase, eot, or when spell is on the stack. It's also the most underrated Cunning Wish target of all time and also gets you those land drops for DoJ as well as ballin' digging power to find win conditions.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Thread Information