Page 107 of 220 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 4395

Thread: [Deck] Zoo

Re: [DTB] Zoo

@HungryLikeLoin
    I've seen your list and I do like. How do the 3 figures work for you? Any problems?

Lion
    May 2009
    Bethlehem, PA

He's really good for maintaining threat density while also giving you something to put on the board on turn one. I'd almost always rather have him than Kird Ape.

And like I've promised in the past, I'll write that FoD primer eventually XD I've just been far too busy with school lately. ;\
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Strangest convenience store I've yet seen: Kum & Go (somewhere in Nebraska). I remember thinking: "Huh, a drive-through bordello. Clever."

Dec 2008
    Chile

I'm also playing 3 figures and I think it's the way to go. Kird Ape is a good creature, but it gets outsized very soon.
    Last week I went to a small tournament (4 rounds no top8) and ended up 3-1. I beat 2 counterbalance decks (both playing nimble mongoose), 1 affinity and lost to Dark Depths Rock.

In every single game I was happy to see Figure of Destiny instead of Kird Ape. Figure is a "deal with me soon" creature that may be a little slow, but it's worth every mana spent in making it bigger. Zoo is not meant to be that fast anyway.

This is my creature configuration:

3 Figure of Destiny
    2 Kird Ape
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Wild Nacatl

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo View Post
    I'm also playing 3 figures and I think it's the way to go. Kird Ape is a good creature, but it gets outsized very soon.
    Last week I went to a small tournament (4 rounds no top8) and ended up 3-1. I beat 2 counterbalance decks (both playing nimble mongoose), 1 affinity and lost to Dark Depths Rock.

In every single game I was happy to see Figure of Destiny instead of Kird Ape. Figure is a "deal with me soon" creature that may be a little slow, but it's worth every mana spent in making it bigger. Zoo is not meant to be that fast anyway.

This is my creature configuration:

3 Figure of Destiny
    2 Kird Ape
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    4 Wild Nacatl
    lol Im going run the same creature configuration with 2 KotR added. Good job on your 3-1 turn out Grillo. Can you go over your matches against Counter Balance, because Ive been having trouble playing that match up shockingly. Just to see what you played and how you sideboarded.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

This is in response to a discussion I had with Alix Hatfield about the possibility of running blue and playing a cantrip package to smooth out the deck's midgame draws. I came up with this a while ago and think that the inclusion of 6 draw spells might be worth testing.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
    1 [A] Tropical Island
    4 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
    1 [B] Volcanic Island
    1 [B] Tundra
    1 [CST] Mountain (2)
    3 [ON] Wooded Foothills
    2 [B] Savannah
    2 [A] Plateau
    2 [B] Taiga
    3 [ON] Windswept Heath
    1 [SHM] Forest (1)

// Creatures
    3 [TO] Grim Lavamancer
    4 [ALA] Wild Nacatl
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    4 [EVE] Figure of Destiny
    3 [ARB] Qasali Pridemage
    2 [ALA] Woolly Thoctar

// Spells
    3 [CFX] Path to Exile
    4 [BD] Brainstorm
    2 [VI] Fireblast
    4 [LG] Chain Lightning
    2 [M10] Ponder
    4 [R] Lightning Bolt

Fireblast/Thoctar/Figure could all be other things (Swords, Jitte, etc) and the manabase is kind of weak, but the general vibe of the deck hasn't changed. In some brief testing, I really liked what the extra draw was doing in terms of consistency.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Looks interesting. A lot of fetchlands + Brainstorm/Ponder has never been bad ;)
    Would be interested in your testing results + observations.
    Have you ever tried it in a tournament or just MWS?

I've tested a version like you since new year now. The idea was to have an aggressive Bant with Burn over Counter for Removal. That was the list:

Creature:
    1 Figure of Destiny
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Rhox War Monk
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Wild Nacatl

Instant:
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Lightning Helix
    4 Path to Exile

Land:
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains

I liked Rhox War Monk in this deck because he won against oll ather Aggrodecks and is an amazing creature. The manabase works and I think this deck has future. Comments and discussion about versions with U?
    Zoo<3

Folk Punk Pirate
    Oct 2007
    Mannheim, Germany

Interesting that you bring this up, me and my team mate Harald discussed a blue splash in Zoo last week. Well, it was more like drunken babbling, but whatever. Anyway, his point was that every manabase benefits from the inclusion of cantrips, even as a splash, the increased flexibility and better possibility to profit from your playskill.
    My point was to get more beer...
    Sneaky Pirates of Doom - Not really a Legacy Team anymore.

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Svenyboy View Post

I liked Rhox War Monk in this deck because he won against oll ather Aggrodecks and is an amazing creature. The manabase works and I think this deck has future. Comments and discussion about versions with U?
    I don't get it. Zoo already has the best matchup against all other aggro decks. Why weaken the manabase to make that matchup even better?
    Sylvan Library is your Brainstorm even though it is less flexible but at least it lets you dig much deeper for answers. Call me old fashioned but I don't see why you would put in blue.

On a different note. I played at my local tournament again, 6 rounds no top 4/8. Only eleven players attended I became 4th.

Round 1 vs Aggro Loam 0-2
    Round 2 vs A deck with Gifts Ungiven and Garruks and other goodies 2-0
    Round 3 vs Dreadstill 2-1
    Round 4 vs RB Goblins 2-0
    Round 5 vs BGW Rock 2-0 but Kitchen Finks are annoying.
    Round 6 vs Belcher 0-2

My list:
    //24
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Wild Nacatl
    2 Figure of Destiny
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Knight of the Reliquary

//15
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Path to Exile
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Lightning Helix
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

//21
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Arid Mesa
    3 Taiga
    2 Plateau
    1 Savannah
    2 Horizon Canopy
    1 Mountain
    1 Forest
    1 Plains

SB
    3 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Engineered Explosives
    3 Price of Progress
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Terravore - I was fed up trying to battle aggro loam so I tried a different approach this time, didn't work out either.
    2 Krosan Grip
    1 Swords to Plowshares

Notes:
    1. I missed the Chain Lightnings. Not because I needed the burn that bad but because of Tarmogoyf never growing bigger than 3/4. So next time I'll pick the deck up I'll try to add 3 or 4.
    2. I found Knight of the Reliquary too slow. I'm thinking of adding 2 Wooly Thoctars next time or forget about the 3 cmc slot (opens up space for Chain Lightning).
    3. Every time I play this deck I dislike Horizon Canopy more and more. Today I lost the 2nd game vs Belcher because of it. It hurt me in multiple ways: I took 2 damage extra from it, I couldn't play out an extra creature (a fetch land or a forest dual would have been better) and I had Kird Apes die because they were only 1/1. Otherwise I would have been able to deal with his 14 tokens. I know this is just one specific situation but in other matches too my Kird Apes were of no use because Horizon Canopy is no Forest.
    4. I think that Price of Progress in the SB will be replaced. There's always other sideboard cards that I find more important to side in and then there's no room to put them in too.
    5. I haven't been able to use Engineered Explosives so they will stay in for now.
    Quit playing Legacy but could still play Goblins (Rgw, Rg, Rw, Rb)

ジェームス・ブラウン

I'm staring in the mirror looking at my biggest rival.

is the freaking Zoo-ru!
    Jun 2008
    Good ole boondocks, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Nelis View Post
    1. I missed the Chain Lightnings. Not because I needed the burn that bad but because of Tarmogoyf never growing bigger than 3/4. So next time I'll pick the deck up I'll try to add 3 or 4.
    2. I found Knight of the Reliquary too slow. I'm thinking of adding 2 Wooly Thoctars next time or forget about the 3 cmc slot (opens up space for Chain Lightning).
    3. Every time I play this deck I dislike Horizon Canopy more and more. Today I lost the 2nd game vs Belcher because of it. It hurt me in multiple ways: I took 2 damage extra from it, I couldn't play out an extra creature (a fetch land or a forest dual would have been better) and I had Kird Apes die because they were only 1/1. Otherwise I would have been able to deal with his 14 tokens. I know this is just one specific situation but in other matches too my Kird Apes were of no use because Horizon Canopy is no Forest.
    +1!!!

I've been preaching things like these for a long, long time.
    Dead or Alive, you're coming with me.
    -Robocop-

Lion
    May 2009
    Bethlehem, PA

I wouldn't play 24 creatures, you need more room for burn/removal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Strangest convenience store I've yet seen: Kum & Go (somewhere in Nebraska). I remember thinking: "Huh, a drive-through bordello. Clever."

My comment goes to the above poster talking about not having used EE and that he lost to Aggro Loam which is one of the matchups where EE really shines. if your trying to fight Aggro Loam, side your EEs in. Trust me.
    declaring war on magic ignorance since 2009.

for the record i have no good ideas. im just pointing out yours are terrible too.

Come to the dark side! We've got cookies.
    Aug 2007
    Germany

Naya Zoo

Main
    4*Wooded Foothills
    4*Windswept Heath
    4*Arid Mesa
    2*Plateau
    2*Taiga
    2*Savannah
    2*Mountain

4*Wild Nacatl
    4*Goblin Guide
    4*Steppe Lynx
    4*Tarmogoyf
    4*Qasali Pridemage
    2*Grim Lavamancer
    2*Knight of the Reliquary

4*Lightning Bolt
    4*Path to Exile
    4*Reckless Charge
    2*Sylvan Library
    2*Fireblast

Board
    2*Umezawa's Jitte
    4*Pyrostatic Pillar
    3*Krosan Grip
    3*Pyroblast
    3*Gaddock Teeg

This is the list I used this weekend and we just played 5 rounds for a GP Madrid Trial. I went 4-1-0 and then Top 8, but got kicked out in the semifinals.
    1. I really loved the Reckless Charges and they even push the goyf to 4/5.
    2. Knight is the Best cc 3 creature in the world!! Woolly Thoctar can Never Beet him!
    3. Horizon really sucks. But my mana base was pretty cool and often I could hit with a 4/5 for Three or more turns.

Next Time I'll go:

-4 Goblin Guide
    +3 Magma Jet
    +1 Grim Lavamancer

allthough the turn 2 Jitte + turn 3 Goblin and equip is sexy ^^
    Last edited by Dr.AgOn; 02-15-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    I want a banana this big!

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

Ok, having taken into account my experience of late and your comments I have made the following changes:

- 2 Knight of the Reliquary
    - 2 Horizon Canopy

+2 Chain Lightning
    +1 Windswept Heath (I chose this one and not Arid Mesa because I want to improve the chance of fetching a forest when facing Blood Moon strategies (Dragon Stompy))
    +1 Savannah

That would make:

//22
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Wild Nacatl
    2 Figure of Destiny
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Qasali Pridemage

//17
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Path to Exile
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

//21
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Arid Mesa
    3 Taiga
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    1 Mountain
    1 Forest
    1 Plains

I actually would like to add one more Chain Lightning. This means getting rid of either a Kird Ape or a Grim Lavamancer. I'm a big fan of both. Which one to cut? I don't want to get rid of non creature spells. Or should I just leave it at this.

Quote Originally Posted by yadda View Post
    My comment goes to the above poster talking about not having used EE and that he lost to Aggro Loam which is one of the matchups where EE really shines. if your trying to fight Aggro Loam, side your EEs in. Trust me.
    I think I actually did but am not 100% sure. But I never drew them the whole day anyway.

ジェームス・ブラウン

Come to the dark side! We've got cookies.
    Aug 2007
    Germany

You're playing 11 fetchies, but not a single Steppe Lynx?? Try Steppe Lynx instead of Kird Ape.

And I would cut 1 Grim Lavamancer, because you don't want to see them in multiples or in your opening hand.
    Also, I would replace 1 swords with the fourth path, cut 1 Taiga for the fourth Arid Mesa and replace the Figures with Knight of the Reliquary.
    I want a banana this big!

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

I won't play Steppe Lynx for the following reasons.
    1. It's the worst topdeck ever.
    2. Running Lynx will the goblin and merfolk matchups because I can't take on the control role.
    3. Red and green are the most important colors for all 1 drops i don't want to be forced to play a Steppe Lynx turn 1 when there's also a Wild Nacatl in my hand.

I don't want to run Knight of the Reliquary like I stated above.

I'm sorry but those suggestions are of no use to me. I don't want to offend you but your approach towards the deck is totally different from mine and I don't think you've read all my posts. But I understand why you make the suggestions when I look at your decklist. It's just that I am not looking to change the whole concept of the deck (and in my opinion make it weaker by running Stepe Lynx) but I want to tweak my deck a bit because I'm very happy with the way it works now.

ジェームス・ブラウン

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Sylvan Library is your Brainstorm even though it is less flexible but at least it lets you dig much deeper for answers. Call me old fashioned but I don't see why you would put in blue.
    Blue smooths out your draws way more than a mediocre two-of does. Setting up your next two-three draws with Brainstorm/Ponder turn 3 is way better tempo wise than dropping Sylvan and the blue draw is also much better in the late-game because it does things immediately.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Vulvaapje!
    Jun 2007
    The Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost View Post
    Blue smooths out your draws way more than a mediocre two-of does. Setting up your next two-three draws with Brainstorm/Ponder turn 3 is way better tempo wise than dropping Sylvan and the blue draw is also much better in the late-game because it does things immediately.
    If you think the benefits outweigh the downsides then by all means play Brainstorm. To me it's not worth it. Sylvan Library makes me finish the game in midgame and that works for me.

ジェームス・ブラウン

Oct 2005
    Pittsburgh

Ok, having taken into account my experience of late and your comments I have made the following changes:

- 2 Knight of the Reliquary
    - 2 Horizon Canopy

+2 Chain Lightning
    +1 Windswept Heath (I chose this one and not Arid Mesa because I want to improve the chance of fetching a forest when facing Blood Moon strategies (Dragon Stompy))
    +1 Savannah

That would make:

//22
    4 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Kird Ape
    4 Wild Nacatl
    2 Figure of Destiny
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Qasali Pridemage

//17
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Path to Exile
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Chain Lightning
    4 Lightning Helix
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

//21
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Arid Mesa
    3 Taiga
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    1 Mountain
    1 Forest
    1 Plains

I actually would like to add one more Chain Lightning. This means getting rid of either a Kird Ape or a Grim Lavamancer. I'm a big fan of both. Which one to cut? I don't want to get rid of non creature spells. Or should I just leave it at this.

I think I actually did but am not 100% sure. But I never drew them the whole day anyway.
    If you're removing all your maindeck 3 cc drops I think its safe to drop down to 20 land.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

I won't play Steppe Lynx for the following reasons.
    1. It's the worst topdeck ever.
    2. Running Lynx will the goblin and merfolk matchups because I can't take on the control role.
    3. Red and green are the most important colors for all 1 drops i don't want to be forced to play a Steppe Lynx turn 1 when there's also a Wild Nacatl in my hand.
    1. This can be alleviated by playing Reckless Charge, and saving Fetches.
    2. Running Kird Ape will (hurt) the Storm, and combo matchups, because he doesn't do enough.
    3. Alter the manabase a bit. You can still play Wild Nacatl turn 1 off Savannah for turn 2 Lynx. Then you play a fetchland, Reckless Charge, and attack for 10. Kird Ape can't do that. He improves the non-aggro matchups, and we're already great against creature decks.

Thread Information