Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: can you say Bye Bye Reserved List...Hopefully

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

can you say Bye Bye Reserved List...Hopefully

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=218662

As it shows there Wizards is reprinting Phyrexian Negator a card that is on the reserved list.

So is there going to be an announcement soon about a change in policy concerning the reserved list.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Re: can you say Bye Bye Reserved List...Hopefully

This is getting me all excited. Until now they put forward the policy of only reprinting reserved cards in non-comercial (read: Judge / Player Reward Promos) ways. Reprinting Negator in a Duel Deck seems like breaking their own rules for the good of humanity! Hooray!
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

How can anyone read that tiny tiny tiny image? Wow. My eyes suck, I know, but I can't see any text clearly. Yeah, well, I wouldn't be surprised if they can get around the reserve list through specially released products such as this. I don't think they'll be putting reserve list cards into actually newly released sets, though. Apples and oranges.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Can we all agree that Wizards has been working towards this for a long time? I know that I have felt that it is only a matter of time until it happened. I think this means that we can expect more support for Legacy down the road. If you believe my article last month it seems perfectly reasonable to reprint even powerful cards from past sets. The long term effect of this should be better access to Legacy staples.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Apr 2007
    Norway

They might just say that the foil-card in a duel-deck is a promo, and as such printing it does not break the reserved list? Or am I misunderstanding something?
    "Don't let your mind wander - it might not come back." -Braids, dementia summoner

Playing solidarity on MWS because I love to masturbate.
    Aug 2008
    Arkansas

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatzman View Post
    They might just say that the foil-card in a duel-deck is a promo, and as such printing it does not break the reserved list? Or am I misunderstanding something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reserved List
    All policies described in this document apply only to non-premium, tournament-legal Magic cards. Wizards of the Coast has and may continue to print special versions of cards not meant for regular game play, such as oversized cards.
    Negator is meant for regular game play so is in direct violation of the reserved list.
    Join Team Short bus We have all the special People, We allow helmets at our tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Personally I ... find MWS to be as fun as running a cheese grater down my ballsack.

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Can we all agree that Wizards has been working towards this for a long time? I know that I have felt that it is only a matter of time until it happened. I think this means that we can expect more support for Legacy down the road. If you believe my article last month it seems perfectly reasonable to reprint even powerful cards from past sets. The long term effect of this should be better access to Legacy staples.
    Yeah, because Negator based decks are T8ing everywhere. Sorry, I hate sarcasm but you've driven me to it () with false hope. Seriously though, one not played card reprinted as a foil (presumably) in a special deck does not make this a trend for printing Legacy staples.

I'm not for this printing foils = more cards in circulation theory. I have been desperately trying to get my hands on Survival of the Fittests for months now and I can't seem to get them. The price for Survivals when I started looking (by MOTL) was around $11 and now it's over $13, and in between those times there has been the release of the promo judge foil. If this is their plan for alleviating Legacy woes, it's too slow and doesn't seem to have the desired effect.

Hell, cards not even on the reserve list are not being printed. Instead of Negator, why don't they put Wasteland in there? It's an UC, and not on a reserve list and would add some non-premium into the market. Or Force of Will, another card desperate for non-foil reprint. They really missed the boat by not printing that in the Ice Age reprints. That would shift large quantities of their lousy pre-con product and make players happy: win-win.
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! The price of my foil Negator playset will sink through the floor! Damn you, Wizards! I thought you were supposed to be helping collectors like me?!

Just kidding. Great news

Has anyone seen my pants?
    Aug 2009
    Towanda, PA

why do we always have this conversation? Special Promotional Product. No Violation of Reserved List. These cards are not going to be anymore legal in any format now that they're being printed in a Special Promotional Product. Can this thing get locked before my brain esplodes.
    Skizzik No Kicker. Like a true retard.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Honestly, I wonder if I just decided to play the format with the most whiney players or if every format is like this.

Mar 2009
    Coon Rapids, MN

Read the Reserve list: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/art.../reprintpolicy

Here's the applicable quote:
    "Wizards of the Coast has and may continue to print special versions of cards not meant for regular game play, such as oversized cards."

This Negator is black bordered, and thus intended for regular game play. Violation of Reserve list.

I hope this is the beginning of the end for that antiquated list.

Feb 2008
    Leiden - Netherlands

Oh Noos!
    What if...
    ..Reprint..
    Black Lotus..

Secondary.. Market..

Blabla
    This message has been deleted by Nightmare. Reason: Boo fucking hoo

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Fanatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Reserved List
    All policies described in this document apply only to non-premium, tournament-legal Magic cards. Wizards of the Coast has and may continue to print special versions of cards not meant for regular game play, such as oversized cards.
    Negator is meant for regular game play so is in direct violation of the reserved list.
    Relevant section bolded, not sure why this is being misinterpreted.

Jun 2007
    Australia

The reserve list WAS designed to safeguard value of the cards to collectors. However, as players, we have sunk significant value into constructing powerful legacy decks. While there is a distinction between collectors and players, card value should still hold true as long as one owns or is considering purchasing the cards.

I think they are testing the waters with this particular reprint. Negator no longer hold a significant value and has not been viable since... Red Death in 2005?

Just out of interest: perhaps someone can create a poll on the opinion of legacy players (I assume most of the people here would be) on the reserve list? And more specifically, reprints of powerful/expensive legacy staples?

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

This is awesome news. Now, if they had broken the rule just in time for the Sliver deck...

Hell - fucking - yes. Even if they don't abolish the reserved list and claim it's the foil loophole, this is still a monumental event. Been looking forward to this for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Being a 1C 2/1 with an ability isn't enough to make a card good by default. Elvish Archer is to First Striking as Dark Confidant is to card draw, and Nezumi Graverobber is to robbing graves as Tarmogoyf is to being much much better than a 2/1, but what the fuck does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by stuckpixel View Post
    Read the Reserve list: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/art.../reprintpolicy

Here's the applicable quote:
    "Wizards of the Coast has and may continue to print special versions of cards not meant for regular game play, such as oversized cards."

This Negator is black bordered, and thus intended for regular game play. Violation of Reserve list.

I hope this is the beginning of the end for that antiquated list.
    What the fuck do the borders have to do with it? White bordered would work too. Silver wouldn't, I guess.

They have printed reserved-list cards with regular magic backs and black borders many times already. They're called Judge Foils. The reprint policy specifically makes an exception for "premium cards" (which is Wotc's official term for foils). If the Negator is foil, they have not broken their policy. If it isn't, they have. That is the one and only hinge. The innovation here would be putting a foil version of a reserved list card in a product meant for individual purchase, but as long as the Negator is foil, they have NOT broken their reprint policy.

Oversized cards are given as one example of something they might do. It is not an exhaustive list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Brony and Proud
    Oct 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

It has always been my understanding that a card that is present on the Reserved List can be reprinted in one of two ways.
    A) It can be "reprinted" on MTGO, since there is little or no relation between MTG and MTGO value-wise. Plus all of the cards on the Reserved List never existed in MTGO prior to "reprinting" (including promos like the MTGO Braingeyser).
    B) It can be reprinted as a promotional card that is not sold. This means any card on the Reserved List could be reprinted as a Judge Reward or Player Reward card. These cards are given away, not sold, and as such the Reserved List does not apply to them.

Point B was pointed out during the run-up to From the Vault: Exiled, when Wizards said explicitly that the Reserved List would apply to the Vault boxed sets, further implying that anything made for-profit has to adhere to the Reserved List.

With the inclusion of Phyrexian Negator in a "made for profit" (IE - intended to be sold by stores) product, the Reserved List has been officially violated. Now we need to wait for comment from one of Wizard's talking heads about why.

MattH: If Phyrexian Negator being foil means the Reserved List remains unviolated, then can you explain why it was emphasized that FTV: Exiled would print no cards on the Reserved List? As foils, using your logic, they could have printed 15 cards on the Reserved List without breaking it.

Here is the relevant quote from a previous Arcana ( http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...ily/arcana/149 ):

"Sorry about that. Normally, we try not to judge you. Not to your face, anyway. The point is: this is the complete list of cards that have been banned in any format, not counting cards that have only been banned in Magic Online-specific formats. And this doesn't incorporate any cards that might be banned when we announce the March 20 Banned and Restricted List update tomorrow. Oh, and there's one more thing: the cards in italics are the ones that are on the Reserved List, which means they’re not in From the Vault: Exiled."
    Don't Hate the Herd

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    It has always been my understanding that a card that is present on the Reserved List can be reprinted in one of two ways.
    A) It can be "reprinted" on MTGO, since there is little or no relation between MTG and MTGO value-wise. Plus all of the cards on the Reserved List never existed in MTGO prior to "reprinting" (including promos like the MTGO Braingeyser).
    Also note that these MTGO cards are not eligible for redemption.

B) It can be reprinted as a promotional card that is not sold.
    Where are you getting the "cannot be sold" part from? It's sure not anywhere in the actual wording of the policy. They haven't done it yet but there is nothing in the policy to exclude it from happening. All the policy says is that these cards will be either:
    A) never reprinted
    B) reprinted as premium (foil), tournament-legal cards (example: judge foils)
    C) reprinted as non-tournament-legal cards (example: oversized cards)

The policy says nothing at all about what Wizards will do with any cards of type B or C. They can give them away, sell them, or burn them for fuel if they like., all without violating the reprint policy.

MattH: If Phyrexian Negator being foil means the Reserved List remains unviolated, then can you explain why it was emphasized that FTV: Exiled would print no cards on the Reserved List? As foils, using your logic, they could have printed 15 cards on the Reserved List without breaking it.

Here is the relevant quote from a previous Arcana ( http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...ily/arcana/149 ):

"Sorry about that. Normally, we try not to judge you. Not to your face, anyway. The point is: this is the complete list of cards that have been banned in any format, not counting cards that have only been banned in Magic Online-specific formats. And this doesn't incorporate any cards that might be banned when we announce the March 20 Banned and Restricted List update tomorrow. Oh, and there's one more thing: the cards in italics are the ones that are on the Reserved List, which means they’re not in From the Vault: Exiled."
    Yes, they could have printed 15 reserved list cards in FTV:Exiled. The wording of their policy would permit that. They chose not to, probably to honor the spirit of the policy as well.

My MOTL sale list

Brony and Proud
    Oct 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

So, to put this into an extremely extreme case, you're saying Wizards of the Coast could choose to print the Power 9, all 40 Duals, Balance, Demonic Tutor, Wheel of Fortune, Illusionary Mask, Mana Vault, Library of Alexandira, Bazaar of Baghdad, Mishra's Workshop, Mishra's Factory, Mana Drain, The Abyss, Maze of Ith, Oath of Druids, Tolarian Academy, Memory Jar, Grim Monolith, Mind Over Matter, Powder Keg, and anything else as foils, package them, and ship them to vendors to sell as 15 card packs at MSRP and not violate the Reserved List simply because the reprints are foil?
    Don't Hate the Herd

Quote Originally Posted by Solaran_X View Post
    So, to put this into an extremely extreme case, you're saying Wizards of the Coast could choose to print the Power 9, all 40 Duals, Balance, Demonic Tutor, Wheel of Fortune, Illusionary Mask, Mana Vault, Library of Alexandira, Bazaar of Baghdad, Mishra's Workshop, Mishra's Factory, Mana Drain, The Abyss, Maze of Ith, Oath of Druids, Tolarian Academy, Memory Jar, Grim Monolith, Mind Over Matter, Powder Keg, and anything else as foils, package them, and ship them to vendors to sell as 15 card packs at MSRP and not violate the Reserved List simply because the reprints are foil?
    Read the freakin' policy, and you'll see that yes, they COULD do this. They won't, because it would be a terrible idea, but they left themselves a loophole.

My MOTL sale list

Thread Information