Page 136 of 228 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 4544

Thread: [Deck] Aggro Loam

Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

sorry Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    Johannes, you traitor! :P

-Matt
    Haha Matt :D

This is just a break and an experiment, not forever!

I love Brainstorm too much, no worries! :P

Hey everyone,

I recently decided to give this Deck a try and now I'm preparing for my first Legacy Night with it.
    While my list is close to what Christoph Alzheimer played at GP Lille, I decided for some little adjustments to better fight my local meta (--> 4 Leylines because of many Reanimators / Tin Fins , 1x Containment Priest against SneakShow)

But when it comes to Sideboarding Im still not sure about the more flexible cards in the Main Deck... do you guys ever take out Bobs? In MUs where Thalia , choke and Games are good but you still need removal and Chalice like against Miracles, what do you take out? I only find ooze to be really replacable. Knights?

And does someone have experience with the MU against MUD?

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by zerzab11 View Post
    Haha Matt :D

This is just a break and an experiment, not forever!

I love Brainstorm too much, no worries! :P
    And here I thought you were one of the good guys now! :p Awesome tournament report, always cool to see the deck do well.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

I played a tourney yesterday and lost horribly against a 8-blood-moon deck. Why is it that this deck does not play a swamp? I understand that the Mox Diamonds should supply ample support for this but if your hand does not contain one it is almost impossible to claw yourself back when a moon is on board.

Also, I would LOVE some sideboarding notes using this deck swapping the Garruk for a Courser of Kruphix (lots of burn in the meta). I faced the following decks:

Burn won
    Goblins lost
    DnT won
    Storm won
    EsperBlade draw
    Blue/Red BloodMoon-stompy lost
    EsperBlade won

I understand if you think it's a hassle to write sideboardingtips but I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey useL.

Moon decks are naturally harder, as a single moon can ruin your entire gameplan. Zenith for Sage is imp. As leaving mana open in the early game to Decay/ Charm their moon.
    Forest is enough as basics, as you have moxes, and the second basic will screw you more often than it will help (only against Moon and maybe Burn).
    I don't really see Courser changing too much against Burn too, but I'm intrigued to hear if it performed well.

Regarding sidebaordingplans. I can give you smt along the lines I'd do. Maybe that will help?
    Please write short about the list you played against and where asking yourself about Boarding (the stompy deck can be totally different as there might be many "fringe" builds)....!

Hey useL.

Moon decks are naturally harder, as a single moon can ruin your entire gameplan. Zenith for Sage is imp. As leaving mana open in the early game to Decay/ Charm their moon.
    Forest is enough as basics, as you have moxes, and the second basic will screw you more often than it will help (only against Moon and maybe Burn).
    I don't really see Courser changing too much against Burn too, but I'm intrigued to hear if it performed well.

Regarding sidebaordingplans. I can give you smt along the lines I'd do. Maybe that will help?
    Please write short about the list you played against and where asking yourself about Boarding (the stompy deck can be totally different as there might be many "fringe" builds)....!

Hi,

thank you for replying to my post even though I am a newby.

The changes I made before this tournament was -1 Slaughter Games -1 Garruk, +1 Containment Priest, +1 Courser of Kruphix

Burn won
    Here I board in Courser of Kruphix, Reclamation Sage (to blow up sulfuric vortex, bridge and eidolon), 2 thalia. I have no clue what to take out so I shave a land, sylvan library, one loam and something else. I really have no clue if this is correct. A few comments on Courser here, he is zeenithable with lifegain, blocks like a boss, survives bolt. He also is nice against grindy decks and I boarded him in against both esper decks. Filtering with lifegain is excellent and what made me win one and almost win the second (he refused to scoop even though I had the win on board in r5)

Goblins lost
    In: charm, pulse, deluge, courser, Containment Priest
    out: no clue, think I boarded out gaddock teeg, one chalice and something else (probably shaved a land since I dont know what to take out)

DnT won
    In: charm, pulse, deluge, containment priest
    Out: Teeg, Loam, Chalice (I am on the draw in g2 and never play g3)

Storm won
    In: 2 thalia, 2 thoughtseize, 1 sg, 2 leyline
    Out: 4 decay, 1 maze, 1 barren moor, 1 grove

EsperBlade draw
    in: pulse, golgari charm (he played lingering souls and tnn), recla sage, 1 toxic deluge, 2 choke, 1 courser
    out: here I was struggling with what to take out, all cards except maybe maze of ith seemed to be good, I took out random cards proving that I had no real experience with sideboarding

Blue/Red BloodMoon-stompy lost
    took in enchantment removal cards, took out creature control (never saw magus in the first game)
    lost g2 when he played magus when I had golgari charm in hand, didnt dare to tap out the first 3 turns because he played city of traitors. I am aware that this is a very brewy list and nothing to cling on to and whine about, but a swamp would have won goth g1 and g2 since I had catacombs in play with a forest and couldnt fetch a swamp (holding decay in the first game and drawing into decay and pulse in the second)

EsperBlade won
    Same sideboarding, totally crushed him with chalice, thalia, liliana and choke.

That sums it up, the game against goblins is on twitch if you want to watch it and see my deck and probably bunch of mistakes. Always easier to watch than to play. http://www.twitch.tv/svmtv/v/20173492

get outta here, humanity.
    Jun 2009
    Butugychag

You definitely brought in the right stuff against Burn. What you take out/took out is sort of irrelevant. Most of what's in your deck is garbage. General guideline is to have lots of bodies so that you can present a clock and hope you see specific hate pieces.

There's very little reason to take out Loam against Death and Taxes. A large portion of their plan revolves around mana denial, and Life from the Loam just generally aids in consistency. You only really want to trim Life from the Loam in situations where you know it'd be too slow. Reclamation Sage is definitely something you want to bring in against Death and Taxes while Containment Priest is actually something that consistently proves itself to be lackluster against Death and Taxes's Vials. That's not to say that Containment Priest is bad, but everything else in the mainboard happens to be really good. Gaddock Teeg is really the only mainboard card that's useless against Death and Taxes, and after that comes Scavenging Ooze and Chalice of the Void. Most of Chalice's problems stem from the fact that it royally sucks in multiples, and Scavenging Ooze gets by on the fact that it can get really, really big. So, you cut Gaddock Teeg, trim Chalices to the point where you're guaranteed to never draw two, and load up on removal.

Slaughter Games is something you should have brought in against Storm. Naming their key to victory makes for a really bad time. Also, you should usually cut dead cards before you start cutting lands. In this case, Punishing Fire. It's not relevant and (unlike Bolt) it's really slow and inefficient in terms of flat damage to the face.

The thing about adding another basic land is that its only use would be to combat those R/x Stompy decks, and they're just not a significant enough presence in the format right now. Sure, they pop up every now and then and unfailingly pack your shit in, but would you rather have a marginally better time against an obscure deck or stronger game versus everything else?

I'd actually like to hear someone else's opinion on the Esper matter as it seems to be the deck that I'm having the most trouble with.

Quote Originally Posted by useL View Post
    Coverage started midway through game one so I can't really say you did well for the whole of game one, but from what I saw you did a pretty damn good job. The only critique I would have for game one (and this is somewhat true of game two as well when you targeted Warchief while he had an open Vial), is that you got too aggressive with Punishing Fire. In game one, Punishing Fire was only limited by how many activations you could get out of Grove of the Burnwillows. Instead of idly pinging the token at his end of turn, you could've simply returned the Punishing Fire to your hand and held it until either you saw something more relevant or until the end of that turn/combat when you would actually miss out on a Grove of the Burnwillows activation. I think he had the upper hand regardless, but it's just something to keep in mind since it seemed like a fundamental error rather than a judgment call.

Game two was significantly worse. You got screwed like holy hell with those Sylvan Library reveals (five or six Lilianas against a board full of tokens are sooo much better than flipping land or bodies or targeted removal, right?) and blatantly screwed yourself by not revealing and playing that Scrubland and I'm not sure if you would have been able to win outright, but there were a few mistakes that definitely set you back further than necessary.

One thing to keep in mind is that Maze of Ith can give vigilance. Swing with Courser of Kruphix. After combat damage is dealt, untap Courser of Kruphix with Maze of Ith. Now, instead of just Maze of Ithing the biggest attacker (ie: Goblin Warchief), they're either attacking into a wall big enough to kill their creatures or they're not attacking at all.

Failing to search for Knight was also a really, really bad play. I'm not sure what your rationale for it was (there are a fair number of at a glance reasons not to), but it was definitely the wrong play. Your only hope for beating Krenko (outside of a miser's Toxic Deluge or Maelstrom Pulse) was getting a Punishing Fire online, and there was one conveniently located in your graveyard. It would have been tricky and would have relied on him not preemptively popping Relic of Progenitus, but even one uninterrupted activation of Knight of the Reliquary would have meant the death of Krenko. Enough to win the war? Depends. But even a worst case scenario still has Knight of the Reliquary coming out on top in terms of Green Sun's selection. Ignoring that Knight is just flat out just better utility, Courser of Kruphix means that Knight's activations would have been a decent substitute for Scavenging Ooze's lifegain, and every activation would mean a fresh reveal for Sylvan Library.

p.s. This was all typed over a long period of time with frequent interruptions due to work. Sorry if it rambles or is poorly formatted.

Oct 2013
    Portugal

Landed in prague :) 3 days of holiday and a full weekend of magic. I am a happy man.

Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Reclamation Sage is definitely something you want to bring in against Death and Taxes while Containment Priest is actually something that consistently proves itself to be lackluster against Death and Taxes's Vials.

Slaughter Games is something you should have brought in against Storm.

Coverage started midway through game one so I can't really say you did well for the whole of game one, but from what I saw you did a pretty damn good job. The only critique I would have for game one (and this is somewhat true of game two as well when you targeted Warchief while he had an open Vial), is that you got too aggressive with Punishing Fire. In game one, Punishing Fire was only limited by how many activations you could get out of Grove of the Burnwillows. Instead of idly pinging the token at his end of turn, you could've simply returned the Punishing Fire to your hand and held it until either you saw something more relevant or until the end of that turn/combat when you would actually miss out on a Grove of the Burnwillows activation. I think he had the upper hand regardless, but it's just something to keep in mind since it seemed like a fundamental error rather than a judgment call.

Game two was significantly worse. You got screwed like holy hell with those Sylvan Library reveals (five or six Lilianas against a board full of tokens are sooo much better than flipping land or bodies or targeted removal, right?) and blatantly screwed yourself by not revealing and playing that Scrubland and I'm not sure if you would have been able to win outright, but there were a few mistakes that definitely set you back further than necessary.

One thing to keep in mind is that Maze of Ith can give vigilance. Swing with Courser of Kruphix. After combat damage is dealt, untap Courser of Kruphix with Maze of Ith. Now, instead of just Maze of Ithing the biggest attacker (ie: Goblin Warchief), they're either attacking into a wall big enough to kill their creatures or they're not attacking at all.

Failing to search for Knight was also a really, really bad play. I'm not sure what your rationale for it was (there are a fair number of at a glance reasons not to), but it was definitely the wrong play. Your only hope for beating Krenko (outside of a miser's Toxic Deluge or Maelstrom Pulse) was getting a Punishing Fire online, and there was one conveniently located in your graveyard. It would have been tricky and would have relied on him not preemptively popping Relic of Progenitus, but even one uninterrupted activation of Knight of the Reliquary would have meant the death of Krenko. Enough to win the war? Depends. But even a worst case scenario still has Knight of the Reliquary coming out on top in terms of Green Sun's selection. Ignoring that Knight is just flat out just better utility, Courser of Kruphix means that Knight's activations would have been a decent substitute for Scavenging Ooze's lifegain, and every activation would mean a fresh reveal for Sylvan Library.

Just a few comments, I wrote down the sideboarding at work so there are some small misses. I brought in the Sage against DnT (having played miracles for a long time I know the value of artifact removal) and I wrote "sg" against storm, meaning slaughter games.

The token ping was a mistake, this is my first tournament with the deck outside of a 4-round-trial and my lack of experience with P.fire shows through.

The reason I played Maze of Ith that turn instead of playing the wasteland from the top was that I was afraid of a 2drop like piledriver end of turn. In retrospect it was a bad play cause I should have just dug deeper into my deck, I was VERY flustered not to find a black source though.

The knight play I did not see though, thank you for the heads up on that one. I feel that I was a bit unlucky in the second game especially round 4-8 with my sylvan/courser interaction but oh well.

I thank you greatly for your comments and help!

@ useL: First of all, beautiful deck I like it ;) Regarding the video I think iamajellydonut gave already some good replies an tips.
    Didn't watch all, just one thing I'm unsure about myself regarding Courser + Library:
    Don't you have to reveal the 4th card too, as you literally draw 3 and the 4th card is your topcard for some amount of time?

Boarding:
    Against Burn I think that there are definetly bad and even worse cards in our maindeck. I agree that having bodies is important.
    I'd board (taking my list from ovino) along these lines:
    -3 Liliana
    -1 Library
    -1 Loam
    +2 Thalia
    +1 Pulse
    +1 Charm
    +1 Sage

Against Vial decks Chalice ist naturally weak and only good if you start with it otp Turn 1. As the probabilities to have that can't make it up for being really poor in nearly all other circumstances I'd cut all.
    So along these lines:
    -4 Chalice
    -1 Teeg
    -1 Library (you're the control deck imo, so abusing library is problematic)
    +1 Charm
    +1 Deluge
    +1 Pulse
    +1 Garruk
    +2 Thoughtseize (I'll always bring them when taking out Chalice, against Burn I'm still hesitant, they're ofc quite bad but might be better than other options^^)

Against blade it really depens on their list (TNN or not...)
    -your Boarding in seems along the lines I'd do it
    -out: against ctrl I normally board out 1-2 Moxen, maybe shaving a loam and one thing I did very often during Ovino and before (i now sacred cow!!):
    -I'm Boarding out 2 Knight... against those decks that have swords, snapcaster swords, I want threads that have immediate advantage when entering or make cardadvantage. Killing them is most realistic if you can take him out of the game with your superior cards: choke, walkers, pun-fire, libary, chalice... so I prefer those hate-permanants over a more beardown-oriented gameplan.

In general I think I'm a bit more ruthless with boarding than others, may it be better or worse... ;)
    Hope that helps!

@ Pilhas: We will probably meet there! :)

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

The token ping was a mistake, this is my first tournament with the deck outside of a 4-round-trial and my lack of experience with P.fire shows through.
    I mean, it's pretty forgivable and it improves with time. Even your Sylvan Library plan wasn't terrible. Hell, I actually approve of you being ballsy enough to pay the life when you needed to. It was just an outright crappy position to be in. No one likes flipping chaff off of Sylvan Library.

Don't you have to reveal the 4th card too, as you literally draw 3 and the 4th card is your topcard for some amount of time?

So along these lines:
    -4 Chalice
    -1 Teeg
    -1 Library (you're the control deck imo, so abusing library is problematic)
    +1 Charm
    +1 Deluge
    +1 Pulse
    +1 Garruk
    +2 Thoughtseize (I'll always bring them when taking out Chalice, against Burn I'm still hesitant, they're ofc quite bad but might be better than other options^^)
    You're totally right about Courser. I didn't even recognize that and clearly neither did anyone else, but it's definitely something that would be extremely relevant in any future game.

Also, you just suggested axing Sylvan Library? For Thoughtseize? Heresy.

Didn't watch all, just one thing I'm unsure about myself regarding Courser + Library:
    I am unsure of that interaction. I was under the impression that since it is a replacement effect and that you can not answer to triggers etc maybe the card does not get revealed. A judge can feel free to enlighten us.

Fun fact, the head judge let me dredge loam and put it back with sylvan library on top of library, is this correct? We tried to google this and think that it is not allowed since you dredge it instead of drawing a card.

When I asked the judge later she got pissed and told me my t-shirt was sexist and had me play with it inside out for the remainder of the tournament =(

Fun fact, the head judge let me dredge loam and put it back with sylvan library on top of library, is this correct? We tried to google this and think that it is not allowed since you dredge it instead of drawing a card.
    You can only put cards that you have drawn back on top of your library. So no, you can't put Loam on top of your library.

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

When I asked the judge later she got pissed and told me my t-shirt was sexist and had me play with it inside out for the remainder of the tournament =(
    World class judges.

L10 is correct that you can only put back cards that you have drawn. Dredge is a replacement effect, so you do not actually draw the Life from the Loam. It is simply put into your hand. You can replace any of the draws (first second or third) with dredge, but in the end you must put back two cards or as many as you are able to. You can still pay life to keep further cards.

And again compliments to Johannes as he made top8 in MKM serie in Prague
    http://imgur.com/5zn1I5

But there is also another list in the TOP4... not really bad
    http://imgur.com/ltJrmXK

It would be interesting to hear from them any comments on the dack and maybe to read a report... I am always so hungry of reading reports!!!

cya!

edit: I'm not able to include pictures :(

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Can't you report this to Wizards? Totally unprofessional.

Site Contributor
    Feb 2011
    Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Can't you report this to Wizards? Totally unprofessional.
    If I were you I'd want to see the shirt before making this pronouncement…
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I'm not saying sugarcoat the tournament scene, that's impossible, but for God's sake just act like a damned grown-up. Be polite, play fast-ish but allow for a little thought now and then, represent the rules to the best of your ability and be a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    WotC fucks up something computer related. Film @ 11.
    @warfordium on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by warfordium View Post
    If I were you I'd want to see the shirt before making this pronouncement…
    There you go =)

Jun 2009
    Butugychag

I mean... I've definitely seen more "PC" shirts.

That being said, not answering your question is still kinda lame.

Thread Information