Thread: 2nd with Pox, not quite a Mox Ruby (MTG Deals, 46 players)

2nd with Pox, not quite a Mox Ruby (MTG Deals, 46 players)

The tournament:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ls-and-Staples

46 people showed up, 1st place was a Mox Ruby, other top 8 prizes were foil sac lands, wastelands, a taiga, and foil abrupt decays.

I don't get out to many tournaments anymore (married, job, kid, all of which I love... yes even the job). In fact the last one I attended was also at MTG Deals almost a year ago (report link below). Today was my birthday, my friends were in town, and we all felt like playing some magic!
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ht=#post639125

I like pox because I think it stands a chance against anything. Whatever you're playing I just want to kill your creatures, strip your hand, and nuke your lands. It used to be that most people didn't know what many of the cards did, or what your gameplan was, but I guess it's become more popular and mainstream. On occasion people still pick up cursed scroll to read it, or call a judge over 4-5 times to ask another question about trinisphere. I've built my list to have some graveyard abuse, but not to be completely reliant on it in case someone lands a Rest In Peace or Scavenging Ooze. Previously I ran more discard (I love funeral charm) and The Rack, but that's when I expected more RUG Delver, Maverick, and other such decks. It seems the meta has shifted to more combo and control, and I've had beta sinkholes sitting on the sideline forever, so it was time to give them a spin.

My friends and I were discussing the merits of hymn vs targeted discard. I'm light on the 1cmc spells and might benefit from more duress type stuff, but I feel that hymn just makes everything better (plus Quinton Hoover rocks). If I stall them with sinkholes I want to strip the hand so they can't get back in the game. When Lil's out doing her +1 thing I want to follow it up with a hymn to put the game away. Yes it's a dead card in a topdeck war, but I feel like I don't lose many topdeck wars. We re-tooled to include a few Trinisphere to go with the sinkholes and it seemed to work really well. As a compromise I tried siding the hymns out most games in favor of sideboard cards to see how things went.

The deck:
    13x Swamp
    4x Wasteland
    4x Mishra's Factory
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

4x Dark Ritual
    4x Innocent Blood
    4x Inquisition of Kozilek
    4x Hymn to Tourach
    4x Smallpox
    4x Sinkhole

2x Cursed Scroll
    2x Trinisphere

2x Nether Spirit
    2x Tombstalker

4x Liliana of the Veil

The Sideboard:
    2x Nihil Spellbomb
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Ratchet Bomb
    1x Chains of Mephistopheles
    2x Mindbreak Trap
    2x Engineered Plague
    4x Leyline of the Void

I didn't take notes, but below is what I can remember. I might have been featured in each of the top 8 matches, so when those get posted I'll update this with links to more accurate match coverage.

Round 1: Greg, Jund
    G1: I don’t remember much, but I won the die roll and the only damage I took was from my own smallpox. He had an early DRS which died to smallpox, and I think I followed that up with a sinkhole the next turn, then got a cursed scroll online and just took control from there. Inquisition took something early which helped leaving him with maelstrom pulse which never got cast. Maybe I had hymn’d before that to make his hand really small. Tarmo might have made a brief cameo before meeting innocent blood.
    G2: +2 nihil spellbomb, +2 ratchetbomb, -4 hymn.
    This game I drew all 4 lil. If memory serves he inquisition’d one, abrupt decayed a second, which turned out to be huge for me. Tarmogoyph was in play doing 6 a turn and I was at 10. Decaying the lil (who was at 1 counter) allowed me to play another and kill the goyph, instead of having to +1 and kill it the following turn. He had a bolt (that he later used on a nether spirit to survive an extra turn), and the bolt and 1 more goyph hit would have put me at 1 and shut me off smallpox. I’m not sure he would have won with that line of play, but it definitely would have been a lot closer. I remember he discarded at least 2 bloodbraid elves to lil when he had multiple sac lands in play. I had an urborg, so maybe he was just trying to avoid thinning his lands out when he could use the fetches for black… or maybe I had turned him completely of fetchable lands (or one of his colors).

Round 2: Gregg (good friend of mine, came 200 miles to hang out with me on my bday), BW Stoneblade
    G1: Mull to 6, Ritual trinisphere, with 2 nether sprit, in hand, and 2 land. Trinisphere turn 1 was just too much, I drew some lands, got both spirits out before he could get to 3 land (courtesy of a wasteland) and closed it out pretty quick.
    G2: +2 nihil spellbomb, +2 ratchet, +2 engineered plague. The 2 pithing needles might have also come in for equipment (but I can’t think of what else I took out so maybe not). -4 hymn, -1 urborg, -1 innocent blood (I figured with lingering souls IB was the next weakest link to take out).
    This game went long, like all the way to the end of the round long. Trinisphere came out and probably hurt me as much as it hurt him. We both had misplays; although I think I had way more that ultimately cost me the game. I didn’t scroll my own nether spirit when he plowed it, I didn’t spellbomb when he had a lingering souls in the grave (I wanted to save it for …. who knows what I was saving it for), I had a ratchet bomb out that I knew I was going to have to pop at 0 to kill a batterskull token that he had in his hand, but still wasted 2-3 turns scrolling souls tokens instead of him. He managed to stabilize at 1-3 life with a jitte, I think it was on a Bob who was of no threat to his life because of Sensei’s Diving Top. Other notable plays: Extirpate on my Mishra, and I had to use 2 engineered plagues on kor to prevent a SFM from picking up equipment and finishing me off.
    G3: Gregg knew we weren’t going to finish, and he had a loooong drive ahead of him still tonight. He likely wouldn’t be able to stay for all of the top 8 and decided to scoop to me. Muchas gracias mi amigo, it was definitely appreciated.

Round 3: Steph, Merfolk
    G1: Merfolk… joy. I need the stars to line up, and my opponent to misplay galore to stand a chance. Instead Steph just punched me in the face and left me whimpering on the floor. I went ritual lil, she went turn 1 vial. I +1’d until I had to start killing creatures. I was a little aggressive with my Mishra instead of saving it to block vial’d in creatures that would shrink my lil. I should have been able to hit 6 loyalty and 3 for 1, but even if I had played right I don’t know that I could have won it. There was an early standstill in play that I eventually pop’d to put out a tombstalker, but she spent her one mana and 4 life to dismember him and send us into game 2.
    G2: +2 pithing needles, +2 engineered plague, +2 ratchet bomb, +1 chains of Mephistopheles. -4 hymn, -3 sinkhole.
    Turn 1 ritual lil for me, followed by turn 1 vial for her. On turn 3 she had an island, a cursecatcher, the vial, and a mutavault in play. I had 2 swamps, laid a wasteland, and punted. Instead of casting a smallpox with wasteland to pay for the cursecatcher (or daze if she had it) I blow up the mutavault (thinking she would animate it to save the cursecatcher? who knows what made me think that) and run my smallpox right into the cursecatcher. This would have slowed her down, but the next few turns were Lords galore anyways so I’m not sure I could have won either way.. but it was bad play on my part none the less. I did zero damage, and died in the span of 2 attack phases. Nether spirit blocked one guy, tombstalker another, but after the first wave of assault I was at 8 life and she had 4 guys in play, all with at least 4 power, so that’s all she wrote.
    In retrospect maybe I should have mulligan’d more aggressively for needles or plagues, but ritual lil each game was tempting, especially G2 where I also had a spirit to recur.

Round 4: Arthur, Reanimate (his own BG version with living wishes and hexmages and probably the dark depths combo, but I never saw it).
    G1: I won the roll, he had to mull twice I believe. An early hymn really set him far behind. He opted not to entomb before I hymn’d, which led me to believe that he wasn’t really on reanimate as his primary win strat. A Vampire Hexmage briefly landed on the board, but cursed scroll and nether spirit closed this game out pretty quick. Mishra might have come in near the end to speed it up even more (although left after a while to a living wished wasteland).
    G2: +2 nihil spellbomb, -2 hymn
    He blew my face off. Entomb Iona, reanimate on black… gg.
    G3: +4 leyline of the void, -2 hymn and -2 innocent blood.
    Phew, leyline in my opening hand, which went a long way to me winning this game. I had an early inquisition and I had to choose between sylvan library and hymn. In my hand I had 3 cards I believe, 2 lands and a trinisphere. I chose the hymn to insure I could get the trini into play, which I’m still not sure was the right call even though I ended up winning the game. If he hymn’d me I would have been set waaaay back and I was afraid he’d find an answer to leyline and just win before I could get back into the game. The sylvan ended up doing a ton of work, he had a million fetches, looked at what seemed like 95% of his deck, but I ended up drawing better off the top with no filtering and just always had the right answer for whatever he tried to do. I think all 4 hexmage hit the board, although none survived the turn. Trinisphere was a major thorn in his side (about the time he’d hit 3 land I’d find a way to get him back down to 2), as was the leyline that stayed in play the entire game.

Round 5: Ethan, Storm
    G1: He went first with swamp duress and took …. hymn? I had inquisition, lil, ritual, wasteland, swamp, and … hymn (outside chance it might have been a trini, but I think I would have remembered being overcome with joy if it were a trini)? Whatever the case I inquisition’d and saw cabal ritual, polluted delta, gitaxian probe, and double ponder. I took a little gamble that he didn’t have basic islands (probably a bad decision if he’s running basic swamps, I really don’t know storm decklists that well) and took the cabal ritual. He fetched up an island and went about his business. Some smallpox happened, lil got to 6 loyalty, and then I drew trinisphere. We both had 2 lands in play, and I decided not to +1 hoping to draw a land on my next turn and drop the trini. Turns out he went off that turn at 2 lands. Maybe I should have sacrificed lil to eat one of his lands, but hindsight is 20/20.
    G2: +2 nihil spellbomb, +2 mindbreak trap, +2 ratchet bomb, +1 chains of Mephistopheles, -4 innocent blood, -1 cursed scroll, -2 smallpox (I figured they’d slow me down more than they slowed him down).
    I kept a mediocre hand, and played turn 1 nihil spellbomb, and then I think he just went off (not needing his grave). It might have been lotus petal, double LED, infernal, after a probe and a brainstorm or something.

3-2, probably no shot at the top 8, but I get only get out to play about twice a year so I might as well make the most of it! Turns out I was the highest seed 3-2.

Round 6: Trevor, Esper Stoneblade. Trevor was 3-1-1, and optimistically asked if I wanted to concede. Rough napkin math said that if Ethan played and won his game, that I’d be able to make top 8 with a win. Turns out Ethan got paired against the one guy unable to draw. Exciting!
    G1: Long back and forth game that we both thought I was going to win, until I didn’t. Tombstalker and nether spirit both got plowed, Mishra and cursed scroll were doing some work. There were a few early smallpox to eat his SFMs and lands, but the game went on long enough that batterskull just won him the game. I had him below 10, but couldn’t get the rest of the way, and he eventually stuck enough lands that I couldn’t answer.
    G2: +2 nihil spellbomb (even though I didn’t see any lingering souls, I assumed he had them), +2 pithing needle, +2 ratchet bomb, +1 chains of Mephistopheles, -4 hymn, -3 innocent blood.
    Again I’m not exactly sure of the details, but it involved early smallpox. I remember a SFM slowly beating me down, a pithing needle in play on batterskull, and me doing damage in big chunks (4, 5, 6, like maybe a nether + Mishra, then a nether + Mishra that was pumped, then nether + 2x mishra). There was also a critical turn when I sinkhole his only white source the turn after he spell pierced me. At one point Trevor willingly cast brainstorm with a chains of Mephistopheles in play because he knew his only chance was to find a white mana that I had been keeping him off of. Discard 3, draw 3 (technically discard 1, draw 1, repeat 2 more times), then put 2 back on top… ouch. I think on the final attack he had 2 mana, flashed in a snapcaster to block a spirit, but I had an active scroll (to either finish him, or kill the snapcaster which is what I did).
    G3: Ritual trini I believe (two spots over Matt Krystal playing MUD also had a trinisphere in play, and the match in-between us was laughing on what a crazy day it is with trinispheres everywhere). An early tombstalker helped close the game out quick (which he attempted to force, thank you trinishphere!). While keeping him off white I was also keeping him under 3 lands, including a wasteland on academy ruins (I wasn’t sure what he might be using it for, but I didn’t want to wait and find out). Game 3 started with less than 15 minutes left, and if we had gone to time I would have conceded for Trevor to stand a chance at top 8 (since he was a better seed than I), but my deck knew what it needed to do to help me close this one out fast.

A few anxious minutes of trying to find out if I made it or not, when I eventually found Ethan who confirmed his victory! 5 minutes of sheer elation followed by 5 minutes of fear when I realized Ethan was the #1 seed, and I was the #8. I don’t like my storm matchup, especially when he automatically gets to go first.

I think I was a featured match each round of the top 8. I’ll update with links to the articles if I ever see them.
    Top 8: Ethan, Storm… again
    G1: I never get to play a land as he just wins on his first turn. GG storm… gg…

G2: +2 nihil spellbomb, +2 mindbreak trap, +2 ratchetbomb, +1 chains of Mephistopheles, -4 innocent blood, -2 cursed scroll, -1 nether spirit.
    My hand is inquisition, hymn, lil, trini, lands, and a waste. I inquisition (forget what I take). He duress’d me and decided to take lil instead of trinisphere or hymn, I think he flashed back to our last match where I had her in play early and just ate his hand for a bunch of turns and almost won. He knew trini was coming and forgot to play his LED which made him visibly upset (turns out it wouldn’t have made a difference). I hymned and got to turn 3 to play Trinisphere. Trini was just too much for him, and two smallpox just pushed him out of ever being able to do anything.

G3: He gets to go first again… I keep a 1 lander that included mindbreak trap, nihil spellbomb, smallpox, trinisphere, urborg, and … lil? I figured with a MBT I could roll the dice and pray to rip some lands off the top. He starts off with probe to see my MBT and is very glad he did, as he had double LED and everything else he needed to win before I ever laid a land. Instead I MBT his first LED (after the probe and then the brainstorm, that I later found out put ad nauseum on top so that he could win on the next turn), he plays a second LED, and passes the turn. I decided to MBT in case I drew ritual into trini, and because at that point he knew I had it and would just go off around it. I drew land, played spellbomb and said go. He casts ad nauseam, and goes all the way down to 1 life. He almost stopped when he was at 4, since past in flames could kill him, but he knew I had trini and thought he had a better chance to just win the game. Turns out he was thiiiiiiiiiiiis close, but not quite there and stopped at 1 life (had he taken another card he would have died). He was gambling that I didn’t draw a land, not knowing that I already had, which I laid and killed him with a smallpox! I think that was the first time I’ve ever used smallpox as the finishing strike.

Top 4: Nick, Belcher.
    G1: This is another matchup I’m not excited about, especially on the draw. Nick has everything he needs to go off turn 1, plays the belcher, pops a LED to activate… and then hits his one tiaga 4 cards deep. Hallelujah!! I’m sweating bullets, just sure that he’s going to rip a LED and end this. I smallpox a card out of his hand, drop a lil and +1 her up to like 15 (can’t ultimate the 1 belcher in play), I get an inquisition to peek and take an Elvish Spirit Guide, start beating with Mishra, a few more turns go by and … and …. I draw and cast trinisphere!!

Nick: “You.. you play that main?!”
    Sometimes it’s just not in the cards, sorry Nick.

G2: +2 mindbreak trap, +2 pithing needle, +2 nihil spellbomb, + 2 ratchet bomb, (I didn’t bring in the engineered plagues, but probably should have), -4 innocent blood, -4 sinkhole.
    My opener includes a pithing, a ritual, and other good things, maybe even a ratchet bomb. He doesn’t kill me turn 1, but does put out 2 chrome mox and a lotus petal. I ritual hymn and needle naming belcher. Next turn I inquisition and see a belcher, and by turn 3 I’ve drawn trinisphere and put it into play. Ratchet bombing away his two mox and the lotus petal were just icing on the cake.

OMG the finals!!! Gabe’s playing Team America, and we have a brief conversation about splitting. Neither of us really wanted store credit, and I figure it’s my birthday, I’m beating everything right now, and of all the decks in the top 8 his was probably my best matchup. Little did I know…

Finals: Gabe, Team America
    G1: He goes first and plays delver. I had a great hand and led with inquisition that got dazed. He replayed land and might have brainstormed (or just passed the turn). My 2nd turn was hymn hitting Force of Will and Abrupt decay. He answered my hymn with one of his own. I had a nether spirit, 2 lands, lil, and a hymn in hand, and I was feeling good. I thought I’d get lucky and he hit nether and a land, or at worst a land and either lil or hymn, but instead he goes for the money shot (1 in 20) and hits both lil and hymn. FML. The game goes on for a short while, but I just never recover from that. Delver flips, and a tombstalker eventually joins his side, and I die. I might have killed the delver and a goyph somewhere in there, but his foot was on the gas and I was 2 laps behind.

G2: +2 ratchet bomb, +2 nihil spellbomb, -4 sinkhole. I figured against daze that sinkhole was the weakest link, and that he could live off 2 land. He either ran loam, or sided it in, which would have made the sinkholes even weaker (although I don’t believe he ever drew it).
    This was a long game of back and forth, although it was more of him playing a threat, me finding an answer (sometimes after a turn or two), him finding an answer for my answer (decay on lil), etc. Lots of his lands died, and at one point he elected to sac his last bayou (his final green source in his deck) to keep a polluted delta on the table that he used to fetch up an underground to brainstorm with. He always seemed to have a card or two more than me in his hand, and was just slowly chipping me away. A DRS removed a fair number of cards doing more than his share of damage over several turns. I tried to get out a tombstalker with three lands and exactly 5 cards in grave to delve, but ran face first into a daze, ouch. I felt like it was a misplay at the time, but some people I talked to afterwards thought it was the right thing to do, instead of waiting and hoping for a land or another card to get into my grave giving him time to draw a counter or his own nihil spellbomb (he might have had the DRS out at that point). It came down to the wire, but eventually I just couldn’t keep his side free of creatures and I died.
    20, 19, 18, 17, 15, 14, 12, 10, 8, 7, 2, 0.

Very happy to have won the Tiaga, but when looking at it alongside the Mox Ruby the feeling was bitter sweet. I’m glad I decided to play, and would happily make that same decision again if given the chance.

Props:
    - All my friends that made it out to play/support. Ross for lending me a Chains of Mephistopheles for my board (and it actually being good), Geoff for being my 2nd set of eyes all day when he couldn’t get the last pieces for his deck, Gregg for taking a bullet for me, and Christine for bringing me Popeye’s just before round 6 to fuel me all the way to the finals.
    - All my opponents who were enjoyable people. The staff at MTG Deals also all seemed like good folk.
    - Trinisphere, I need more of you in my 75.

Slops:
    - I guess Aether Vial for being such a gigantic problem for me… but you can’t be good against everything so I’m not too bitter.
    - Not being able to make it out to more tournaments :p
    - Stupid FastTrack replacing the carpool lane, including the onramps, which are impossible to identify until you’re already on the onramp having your picture taken…. Grrrr

Nov 2010
    Japan

Re: 2nd with Pox, not quite a Mox Ruby (MTG Deals, 46 players)

Quote Originally Posted by Infectious View Post
    He doesn’t kill me turn 1, but does put out 2 mox opal and a lotus petal.
    Was there a reason your opponent played two Mox Opal?

Quote Originally Posted by Namida View Post
    Was there a reason your opponent played two Mox Opal?
    Sorry, Chrome Mox, not Mox Opal.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Great read; go pox! Just need that little bit of extra push for first place next time.

and Happy Birthday!
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Jul 2010
    twitch.tv/oarsman79

Coverage of the event has now been posted.

http://blog.mtgdeals.com/oarsman/mar...op-8-coverage/

Quote Originally Posted by Coverage
    Kaare will win the game once he untaps and casts Smallpox. He copies down all 16 of the revealed cards anyway. Ethan then discards down to seven and Kaare crosses all the discards off his list. This entire process has clearly convinced Ethan that Kaare does not yet have the mana to cast the Smallpox. He makes that clear, saying he is worried Kaare will draw a land. Kaare shows him that he did in fact draw it last turn… and the game is over, with Kaare Anderson and his Smallpox deck advancing to the semifinals.
    Normally, I would balk at such epic IRL trolling, but you were playing against Ethan, so I'm okay with it.

Feb 2013
    Los Angeles, CA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jakgotbak View Post
    Normally, I would balk at such epic IRL trolling, but you were playing against Ethan, so I'm okay with it.
    Ethan is a great guy. He's a pacifist and a humanitarian. And pretty damn handsome too. Don't be a hater.
    Decks
    -------
    paper:
    Death and Taxes
    Eldrazi & Taxes
    Sneak Attack

online:
    grixis delver / 4c control

Time was not an issue for us. I was just trying to keep calm and go through all the right motions. I had made some bonehead mistakes earlier in the day and didn't want to punt in the top 8.

Nice report! I've had a Pox deck ever since I started playing, so it's cool to see it doing well.

A couple of questions about your specific build:

Do you like playing Crucible of Worlds?

Do you ever like Nether Void instead of Trinisphere?

Why only 3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth instead of 4?

Quote Originally Posted by CardboardCrack View Post
    Nice report! I've had a Pox deck ever since I started playing, so it's cool to see it doing well.

A couple of questions about your specific build:

Do you like playing Crucible of Worlds?

Do you ever like Nether Void instead of Trinisphere?

Why only 3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth instead of 4?
    I used to play Crucible years ago, but just wasn't happy with it. The occasional wasteland lock is nice, but the 3cmc spot is already full to the brim. You usually can't use it the turn it comes into play (since you probably had to drop a land from your hand to put it out), and you can't build your manabase counting on having it (so you should be hitting enough lands without it anyways). I also don't want to overload the grave strategy leaving me weaker to grave hate.

I like Nether Void, but 4cmc just feels like too much to me. I'm not really trying to lock people out completely, I'm just trying to disrupt and slow the game down to the tempo I'm designed to play in. Nether Void is a great card, and you could take the deck in that direction (with Ports and such), it just wasn't what I wanted to do (at least for now). Void really requires a neutral to favorable board position before you can play it, whereas trinisphere you can plop down even when behind and still recover. The ability to play it turn 1 is just amazing. I added the trinisphere specifically because I wanted 2 more chances for a major turn 1 play. And now that I've played with them more I'm realizing in most cases I'd probably choose trinisphere turn 1 over Lil in most situations.

I really wanted to cut the Urborg's completely, but to do so I probably would have swapped some Mishra's to swamps, and I didn't think I could prosper with any fewer win conditions. Urborg let's the opponent use their fetchlands for black (or basically colorless), working against the sinkhole/wasteland/trini path. It also opens you up to devastation if you're counting on an urborg and it gets wasted. If I've got an option of keeping 2 swamps in some combination of what's in play and in my hand I would always sac/discard the urborg. 4 seems like too many, 2-3 feels right, and I'd really rather run 0. Maybe if I cut down on the 2cmc spot and reduce the double black needs I'll go down to 0-2. Maybe I'm letting fear cloud my judgement, but when I've got 0-1 swamps and an urborg as my only black source(s) I'm on the edge of my seat.

Cool, thanks for the detailed response. I'll definitely have to try testing with Trinisphere more.

Thread Information