1 By Force
    1 Cave-in
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Fiery Gambit
    2 Abrade
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    2 Silent Gravestone

What is this deck?
    Ruby storm is a combo deck designed to take advantage of having many ritual effects, and to lessen the overall cost of spells. Some of the main functions here are to abuse Burning Wish and Act on Impulse with the help of rituals and Lion's Eye Diamonds to string together as many spells as possible. Guttersnipe is an additional threat for times when Burning Wish is not possible, or when you have a string of spells that leads to nowhere. Lightning Bolt is for interaction and reach. This storm deck is unique in that it gets to play with City of Traitors, which can function as a mini ramp spell the turn you combo. It also allows for some strong turn 1's when playing a Ruby Medallion or a Guttersnipe on turn 2.

Why would I play this?
    You enjoy storm combo, but are tired of ANT/TES/High Tide. You enjoy playing with Lion's Eye Diamond and killing with Tendrils of Agony. You like being able to manage your storm and mana with only two dice.

Why shouldn't I play this?
    Decks with ponder and brainstorm offer a little more consistency. Decks with black provide you with some hand disruption.

MAINDECK
    4 Ruby Medallion
    This deck is not playing the most efficient cards like other legacy decks. The deck is still good without a Ruby in play, but when one is play the rest of the deck almost feels like playing vintage. Never play less than 4.
    4 Lotus Petal
    We have access to a lot of ritual effects, but due to the low land count, and ability to cast this off of Act On Impulse it's played over other ritual effects like Desperate Ritual and Simian Spirit Guide.
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    LED is unique in this deck, it is more like a Black Lotus here than in other decks. The tutor plan is the same as in TES/ANT, but with Act on Impulse it plays any of the revealed cards just like Black Lotus.
    4 Rite of Flame
    Red's sort of Dark Ritual. If I could guarantee I'd have a turn 1 Ruby every game, I might consider Desperate Ritual over it. Make sure you sequence these properly by trying to draw into more before casting them from the graveyard.
    4 Seething Song
    Red's actual Dark Ritual. It costs 3 to start, but it has the same effect as Dark Ritual. With a Ruby in play, it's a threshold Cabal Ritual. With 2 Ruby Medallions in play there really isn't an analogue. Blacker Lotus I suppose.
    4 Manamorphose
    Manamorphose is unique in this deck. It normally just cantrips and fixes your mana, in this case you'll only "fix" it if you're afraid of killing yourself with phyrexian mana or to generate enough black mana for your Tendrils of Agony. With a Ruby Medallion, it also generates a mana. Extremely powerful with a Past in Flames and Ruby in play.
    4 Act on Impulse
    Act on Impulse is deceptive. It appears rather weak as it costs 2R to start. When playing a few games it's quite obvious that with Ruby in play the card is nuts. I don't need to speak more to that. I would like to address that the card is still pretty good with no Ruby in play, given that you are running LED's. If you have an LED in play you don't need to crack it in response, you can just reveal 3 and see what you get.
    4 Burning Wish
    Burning Wish is one of the decks main win conditions, and in this deck is usually a Tutor for R. Don't be afraid to use one early to make sure you have a Past in Flames in hand. Another non kill target for the deck is Reforge the Soul, which has unfortunately been phased out of the maindeck over time.
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    Gitaxian Probe allows the deck to interact with the opponent to some extent. The deck doesn't run discard, and it doesn't have counterspells. What this deck can do though is brute force your way through multiple counterspells due to playing many threats. It's better to know what your opponent has when using this approach. You should note that you will cast this spell roughly 4+ times per game, and almost always with phyrexian mana. This is the main reason for running City of Traitors over Ancient Tomb.
    2 Commune with Lava
    It's like braingeyser except that it makes led into black lotus. Hard to fit more than 2, as it's a bit clunky.
    2 Past in Flames
    This card is the glue that holds the deck together. It allows the deck to brute force your way through blue decks. If you don't run enough then you will need some alternative way to push through a lot of counters/discard.
    3 Guttersnipe
    This guy is great. I avoided playing with him for quite some time. That was stupid of me. Once he's on the board, if left unchecked he will win the game that turn or the following. I guess you need to see it to believe it. I did.
    2 Lightning Bolt
    Utility. There's a lot of options for these 2 slots. This card gives you a maindeck answer to Deathrite Shaman, Leovold, and Thalia. The ability to give the deck some more reach is worth noting as well. With Guttersnipe it's 5 damage. Every threat you can kill with a bolt can also buy you some time to find the cards you actually need. You could potentially run Magma Jet here or Abrade, but 1 mana for 3 damage is just too much of bargain.
    12 Mountain
    2 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    15 lands, it's rare to see sol lands in a storm deck as they are playing many colors. Take advantage of the mono colored storm.

SIDEBOARD
    1 Past in Flames
    see above
    1 Reforge the Soul
    Wheel of Fortune for 3RR, although usually in this deck it's 2RR or even 1RR. Against a non-blue deck, casting this card usually results in game over. It's still okay vs blue, but I wouldn't bank on it, more of a reset button vs blue.
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    Win condition.
    1 Grapeshot
    Tertiary win condition, can be boarded in vs surgical decks.
    1 Empty the Warrens
    Quaternary win condition. Prefer to keep in the sb.
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    To deal with storm matchups. Also not terrible vs cantrip decks.
    1 By Force
    Kill problematic artifacts.
    1 Cave-in
    I like a free mini-wrath. Also some extra damage with guttersnipe in play.
    1 Shattering Spree
    Another artifact killing wish target.
    1 Pyroclasm
    Pseudo wrath effects vs most legacy creatures.
    1 Fiery Gambit
    This is still in testing, but I felt like sometimes the deck just feels like you can't get there. If that happens and there's a creature in play, take a chance. @12.5% to hit all 3 coin flips, it might be worth it. 9 cards and untapping your lands will almost 100% win the game.
    2 Abrade
    Great Utility card.
    2 Silent Gravestone
    Only 2 right now, it could be used in that Cave-In slot for a 3rd. Protects you from Deathrite and Surigcal Extraction. Also attacks Deathrite, Snapcaster, and Life from the Loam.

and possible other list to be tested:

4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

4 Rite of Flame
    4 Seething Song
    4 Manamorphose

4 Act on Impulse
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Gitaxian Probe
    2 Past in Flames
    3 Guttersnipe
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Empty The Warrens
    12 Mountain
    2 City of Traitors

sb

SIDEBOARD
    2 Abrade
    2 Silent Gravestone
    2 Scab-Clan Berserker
    1 Reforge the Soul
    1 Insult / Injury
    1 Goblin War Strike
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Past in Flames
    1 Grapeshot
    1 By Force
    1 Pyroclasm

Potential card choices for main or sb.
    Helm of Awakening
    Gamble
    Empty the Warrens
    Reforge the Soul
    Simian Spirit Guide
    Hazoret's Undying Fury
    Faithless Looting
    Overmaster
    Goblin Lore
    Shreds of Sanity
    Desperate Ritual
    Commune with Lava
    Epic Experiment
    Gifts Ungiven

and more for SB
    Defense Grid
    Blood Moon
    Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    Goblin War Strike
    Scab-Clan Berserker
    Tormod's Crypt
    Telemin Performance
    Faerie Macabre
    Surgical Extraction
    Pithing Needle
    Pyroblast
    Red Elemental Blast
    Boil
    Boiling Seas
    Anarchy
    Blood Sun

How to play the deck
    I'd recommend first goldfishing quite a bit. First of all, it's fun. Secondly, it's quite important to know how to sequence your spells with this deck.

First I think the biggest issue for players with this deck is that they want to treat it like a belcher deck. WHat I mean by that is that players want to go off as soon as possible. While that is entirely possible (turn 1 kills are possible with this deck), you wouldn't expect TES or ANT to try to go off on turn 1. They tend to play a little slower to sculpt their draw vs blue decks and discard cards that would be a threat. With this deck you can roughly do the same by generating more mana.

For example: A deck like ANT can't really generate enough mana without thresshold to brute force their way through 2+ counterspells. TES is slightly faster, but generally there arne't enough business spells to force through.

A big point I want to make is that when ANT casts past in flames, they can usually cast a few rituals and a discard spell or two, but it's quite hard to cast the cantrips as it's a lot harder to generate blue mana in those situations. With this deck, you are likely to cast all of your cantrips and act on impulses. It makes almost any past in flames a must counter, even if it doesn't look like there is anything menacing in the graveyard.

Aim for somewhere around a turn 2-3 with this deck for when you first try to go off.

You should also be comfortable counting mana quickly.

Quick reference:
    Rite of Flame. (First is +1, 2nd is +2, 3rd is +3, 4th is +4)
    Seething Song. (+2, but with a Ruby it's +3, 2 rubies is +4)
    Manamorphose. (with Ruby it's +1)
    City of Traitors and LED. More obvious but +1 and +3 respectively.

This deck has some very good topdecks, which is why it can be so powerful.
    8 cantrips and 4 AoI + 4 wish + 3 PiF. unfortunately there's really no library manipulation in this build, so you just have to draw the dead cards. Fortunately guttersnipe allows the cantrips even when they're bad to be good.

MATCHUPS

Lands

They are generally a bit too slow here and not interactive enough on game 1. Be aware of Tabernacle and Glacial Chasm. Tendrils will kill through Chasm.
    POST SB:
    Lands tends to bring in some disruption in the form of Thorn Effects, Chalice effects and sometimes Leyline of Sanctity. Occasionally there is a Trinisphere.

Bring in abrades, possible a shattering spree. Bolts are less than stellar in this matchup so it's an easy swap.

Keep in mind guttersnipe gets around Leyline of Sanctity

Will update these over time, and will ask for some feedback from others.

Grixis Delver
    Czech Pile
    Elves
    ANT
    TES
    Maverick
    Aggro Loam
    Reanimator
    GrixisControl
    Sneak and Show
    Death and Taxes
    Stoneblade
    Deathblade, 8 1drop
    UR delver
    Eldrazi
    Tron/Post Eldrazi
    Burn
    Rug Delver
    Dredge (LED)
    Miracles
    HighTide
    Turbo Depths
    NicFit
    Food Chain
    Bug Aluren
    Moon Stompy
    Last edited by mistercakes; 02-10-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    -rob

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Hazoret's Ascension

I think the more efficient & resilient strategy is Dark Rit -> Doomsday -> Act on Impulse or Three Wishes. Exile an LED or two, and use them to cast cards not in hand.

Nov 2009
    Berlin

i'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with this deck and if you're going to compare another deck, then just play ANT.
    -rob

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with this deck and if you're going to compare another deck, then just play ANT.
    It's a 6 mana Act on Impulse. It's a pretty direct comparison. I mean you can free-cast stuff, but this is like tier 5 brewing; move it to modern deck development?

This is a 6 mana sorcery that lowers its own EV by having any copies of itself in the same deck. 1x it in the sideboard and Wish for it, that's about the only hope for this card getting played/sort of built-around in legacy.

Nov 2009
    Berlin

it's most certainly not a 6 mana act on impulse. it seems to be a very powerful card. it's my first draft, but i think the deck could be quite strong in its own right. it's major issue is that it is a glass cannon deck. the deck can go off on turn 2-3 pretty consistently (lethal)

helm of awakening, ruby medallion, burning wish are not modern legal. rite of flame and seething song are banned.

anyway, constructive criticism is welcomed, but what you mentioned is borderline trolling.
    -rob

May 2015
    PDX

anyway, constructive criticism is welcomed, but what you mentioned is borderline trolling.
    A good rule to live by concerning Helm of Awakening effects is don't run them; but if you're determined to, you absolutely need to be playing P-Fire.

The easiest way for big mana, mono-red to win a game of legacy is Chalice on 1 (+/- turbo Moon), and the easiest way to do that is Sol Lands...so you're making a bad Big-Red/Dragon Stompy deck that is as fragile as Belcher but also slower and with built-in nonbos.

The formula the deck has to adhere to is solved, because all big mana mono-red decks are essentially "cheese" - and that's a valid strategy. It's just hard to take a list like this seriously when it has no 1-drops, huge mana, and no Chalice. Do you want to make a Chalice on 1 Belcher-style deck or do you want to play some strange P-Fire grindy stormy thing? Either way, the 6 drop sorcery has to reside in the board - maybe you were under the impression that if its cost were reduced to 5 or less that it can free-cast itself like Mind's Desire? The cmcs of this deck are pretty outrageous, have you considered Vial Smasher or Sin Prodder?

Edit: Rite of Flame, there is a one drop.

Nov 2009
    Berlin

the deck could certainly drop the rite of flames for 4x chalice if it's looking to get some free wins. it's definitely worse in the current configuration than the blood moon decks with regard to cheesing out a free win with a blood moon/chalice. that's totally okay.

i suggest just loading it up on cockatrice for a few games just to see how it works. it's been pretty rewarding doing some solitaire.

from what i've seen in the solitaire games the cc isn't so bad. i'd recommend jamming a bunch of games on there just to see how it plays out. the deck isn't as clunky as you make it seem. i also understand how the reduction in mana cost works. hitting a 2nd hazoret is fine. you are out a card, but hitting any ramp spell is huge and hitting a reforge the soul/past in flames generally means game over.

if you have a past in flames in hand prior to casting and hit a reforge, you can flashback past in flames and also go off a 2nd time. some weird lines of play involve casting burning wish for R getting the past in flames and then casting the 6cc spell.

obviously a huge bonus if you cut the rite of flames is that you can run chalice and you are immune to chalice. the deck would definitely then at this point want to run some sol lands. i haven't figured out a configuration for running sol lands in a deck like this. it's entirely possible a better build runs something like that.

i'll have to come up with a few more drafts to see how the deck might run something like that. after doing a lot of goldfishing though, it seems like the # of business spells needs to remain around what it currently has.

my main concern with running a chalice build is that if you hit a chalice with this flip 4 card, you're also out a card. you really want to just hit the red spells or reduction spells. the apes end up being 2/2's when you flip them.

because of flipping the chalices, it might be better to stick to the rite of flame.
    -rob

It's really sad that it doesn't chain. Can you go full jank with Mizzix's Mastery?

Nov 2009
    Berlin

it might be okay as a 1 of or definitely a wish target. the main issue is the spell isn't in the graveyard yet if you flip it. i like the idea of casting the overload with all the ritual effects.
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Either way, the 6 drop sorcery has to reside in the board - maybe you were under the impression that if its cost were reduced to 5 or less that it can free-cast itself like Mind's Desire?
    I believe the general idea is that the cmc 6 sorcery will hit enough rituals, helms, medallions and potentially reforge the soul that you can easily just cast the second copy of the cmc 6 spell using a bunch of mana in your pool once the deck starts going which will result in self-sustaining iterations of the cmc 6 spell going bonkers.

The 4th copy of the card could possibly be in the sideboard to help you keep the iterations going when flipping cmc6 into BW, but that seems like win-more since you are probably going for EtW or Grapeshot at that point and you want the extra chance of getting the first cooy of the cmc6 spell into hand -> 4MD?

Nov 2009
    Berlin

Yea my first draft did have 3 main 1 sb, but the deck wanted more business spells in the maindeck. You don't need to have a 2nd copy in your hand. Hitting any of the Business spells in hand or off the flip (other than flipping another 6 cc) can result in a huge chain.

One thing to take note of is that if you have a reduction artifact in play, manamorphose is a ramp spell that cantrips.

I still haven't thought of any other good business spells, any ideas are appreciated!
    -rob

Nov 2009
    Berlin

going through another draft.

the deck needed more business spells and Fox had a point about Act on Impulse.

Pyromancer ascension isn't a very good draw and was only really great when hit for free.

next iteration of the deck:

4 helm of awakening
    4 ruby medallion

4 simian spirit guide

4 desperate ritual
    4 seething song
    4 rite of flame
    4 manamorphose
    2 pyretic ritual

4 burning wish
    3 act on impulse
    3 past in flames
    3 hazoret's undying fury
    3 reforge the soul

14 mountain

sb:

1 hazoret's undying fury
    2 grapeshot
    1 past in flames
    1 reforge the soul
    1 ignite memories
    1 act on impulse
    1 empty the warrens
    X ???

so with the reduction spell, act on impulse is either 1R draw 3 or with 2 medallions it's R draw 3. it's also a great spell to hit off of hazoret's undying fury. helps you not fizzle a lot better than pyromancer.
    Last edited by mistercakes; 06-29-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    -rob

Nov 2009
    Berlin

updated. deck is still super fun to goldfish with. will try a few rounds on cockatrice to see how it goes.
    -rob

This is really interesting, I still think you want to at least consider Chalice here. It's free wins, it's asymmetrical, and it's protection for your combo. Fow doesn't do jack if all the cantrips are turned off.

Nov 2009
    Berlin

i tried chalice, but i think the deck needs actual game testing to see the value in it. goldfishing with chalice isn't so useful. once i sleeve up the deck i'll report more. the sol lands are definitely an improvement, and i might want one more mountain in the maindeck. not sure what i'd cut yet.

in a few goldfish games, sometimes just using all 6 mana for the new card can lucksack through. othertimes if you hit a 1 or 2 reduction artifacts you can set yourself up for an easy following turn as well.

i played 1 match vs shardless. game 1 he had double force + wasteland. game 2 i sided out the undying card b/c i forgot it wasn't legal...and it's listed as wildfire in my deck. i sided them out and stormed on turn 3 or so. game 3 he had multiple discard and i faltered on getting a red mana (he discarded my spirit guides).
    -rob

Jul 2013
    Utah

i just loaded this into tapped out and lol

t1: mountain, spirit guide, helm
    t2: mountain, helm, wish for act
    t3: mountain, act, rite, desperate, reforge, desperate, desperate, exile spirit guide, reforge again, seething song, exile guide, wish for ignite memories, past in flames, then i lost track of what was going on. Didn't even need the new card!

Jul 2013
    Utah

ahhhh

t1: spirit guide, rite of flame, pyretic, helm, manamorphose x2, past in flames, rite, pyretic, manamorphose x2, hazoret, more rituals, flash back PIF, flash back hazoret, more rituals, act on impulse, reforge, burning wish for grapeshot

Slow down over there bud!

This deck seems ridiculous.

Nov 2009
    Berlin

try the new version. it feels a lot better.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 12 Artifact
    4 Ruby Medallion
    4 Helm of Awakening
    4 Lotus Petal

// 4 Creature
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

// 12 Instant
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Desperate Ritual
    4 Seething Song

// 14 Land
    7 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

// 1 Planeswalker
    1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

// 17 Sorcery
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Past in Flames
    3 Reforge the Soul
    3 Act on Impulse
    4 Wildfire

// 15 Sideboard
    // 4 Enchantment
    SB: 4 Blood Moon

// 2 Planeswalker
    SB: 2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance

// 9 Sorcery
    SB: 1 Past in Flames
    SB: 1 Reforge the Soul
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 2 Grapeshot
    SB: 3 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Rite of Flame
    -rob

try the new version. it feels a lot better.
    First goldfish:
    Opening 7: tomb, city, helm, ssg, petal, BW, seething song
    t1 no draw. tomb, helm

t2 draw manamorphose.
    play petal and crack, ssg mana, manamorphose (draw hazoret), city of traitors, cast hazoret. hazoret hits double ruby medallion, seething song and reforge the soul. Respond to Reforge the soul by casting seething song from hand. discard bw, draw 7: 3 land, helm, medallion, BW, Reforge the soul. Play helm for 1 (when against a real opponent, this should probably be left into exile) and medallion for free. Play Reforge the soul with RR. Discard all, draw 7: 2 land, seething song, act on impulse, BW, Past in Flames. Cast Seething Song. Manamorphose draw land. Act on impulse hits hazoret, petal, guide. cast guide just because, cast petal and crack, I have pretty much lost the count of stuff already. cast hazoret for RR. Hit helm, act on impulse, manamorphose, chandra. cast all, morphose draws desperate ritual, cast it, impulse hits 2 lands and impulse. cast impulse, hits reforge the soul, past in flames and petal. cast petal and crack, cast path in flames for R. Cast all rituals a second time, cast 3 manamorphose, cast 3 impulse. at this point there is only one card left in the deck. manamorphose from exile to draw it, uptick chandra for mana. Cast 3 Burning Wishes. Get 3x Fiery Confluence and cast them. cast path in flames. Cast the 3 Fiery Confluences a second time for lethal. Show the Burning Wish you left uncasted and the Grapeshot in the sb, make a trollface, do the knights of the hokey pokey dance.

I would like to see more EtW in the SB to be boarded in against live opponents because grave hate will hurt in g2 and g3. Hitting EtW accidentally with Hazoret mid-chain seems legit in g2. I might even be tempted to run 1 copy in MD.

Also, the Blood moons could be Defense Grids? Although I am not 100% sure how Helm + Grid works together, Grid can be casted t1 with sol land. We also have the option to board in Chalice @1 but I believe the Grid is much better.

Thread Information