Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Song of Creation Storm

Sep 2011

Re: Song of Creation Storm

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    The riddlesmith deck had a really good reanimator matchup (one of it's best matchups), so i'm a bit surprised. But that deck had multiple bouncespells and the play of gamble for karakas after BR put an Iona on blue, so that might be the difference.
    If you look at the history of it i started with 2 crypt 2 faerie macabre 1 silent gravestone but the longer i played it the more i cut graveyard hate as it just was not needed.

Karakas was a very good card in that deck as an answer to Thalia, teeg, and big monsters. But i do think it's a bit to random without any way to tutor for it, even if it has kind of nice emry interaction.
    Interesting. My version runs 4x Gamble. Would you recommend 1-of Karakas in the SB then? The main seems tight for lands and doesn't run white.

Edit: Oh, that was your version of Breach with Riddlesmith tech. Just went through the link. I remember that build. Good tech.
    I never worried about Reanimator with Breach, though that was because most builds had FoW and also Breach was broken. When you bring a gun to a knife fight, you don't worry about the knife.

Song costing 1RUG instead of 1R is a relevant difference. This deck is slower to go off and needs to conserve more of its fast mana for resolving Song or drawing cards, which affects the clock against other combo decks. But we still have fast lines of Gamble into Echo.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiFunn View Post
    You're the original creator of the Riddlestorm deck? That's super cool, I've always loved RS but you're the first person I ever saw pair it with Ovalchase Daredevil. Thank you for the idea! It really adds a lot to the song of creation deck.
    Yes, i'm MartinMedMitten on MTGO. Riddlesmith has been a pet card of mine since ~2014, and it has been fun getting new toys for it. My early builds had Deep Analysis in them as a way to refuel from the GY and echo of eons is quite the upgrade :)

@FTW
    I think it could be worth trying an karakas still. I've always played one, both before and after the short breach meta. I don't play that deck much anymore, (mostly because it takes so many clicks to win) but if i would i would not add more graveyard hate besides the two tormods crypt.

Sep 2011

@FTW
    I think it could be worth trying an karakas still. I've always played one, both before and after the short breach meta. I don't play that deck much anymore, (mostly because it takes so many clicks to win) but if i would i would not add more graveyard hate besides the two tormods crypt.
    After Breach was banned, what did you play in those slots? Did you keep playing the deck after that?

I see before Breach you still made 10th in a Challenge just with the full 4 Narset and maindeck bounce. Maybe the bounce is what made the difference.

Did you ever try Burning Wish? That seems like a natural fit with Gamble + LED + Echo.

I did try many things, i really wanted to get cavern of souls+grand abolisher to work as it makes my opponent largely irrelevant. I did try ominous seas as an alternative way of attack. But mostly i just went up to 4 of everything.

I have tried burning wish on multiple occasions. The thing is that the deck is extremely land light (some versions run only 6 lands) and the only thing you want to wish for is echo of eons, but with 4 gamble 4 echo getting LED is more of a bottleneck than getting echo (i did try transmute artifact and artificiers intuition, but they were too mana intensive).

But i agree, song decks are more mana intensive and quite different. I'm brewing my own song variant now, without riddlesmith (SamuraiFunn has that covered :)). I really like song, i've won games where i tap out to play a song when my opponent has null rod in play, and i still chain zero mana artifacts until i get 2 land drops -> wish for pulverize. It's a really robust engine card. I need to get some more games in but then i might have something to share.

I need to get some more games in but then i might have something to share.
    Awesome, super excited to see what you come up with

Sep 2011

But i agree, song decks are more mana intensive and quite different. I'm brewing my own song variant now, without riddlesmith (SamuraiFunn has that covered :)). I really like song, i've won games where i tap out to play a song when my opponent has null rod in play, and i still chain zero mana artifacts until i get 2 land drops -> wish for pulverize. It's a really robust engine card. I need to get some more games in but then i might have something to share.
    That was my feel for the engine too once I started brewing with it. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. You have a good knack for combo brews.

This is what I'm on now.

//Spells: 22
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Gamble
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Burning Wish
    3 Manamorphose
    3 Echo of Eons

//Enchantments: 4
    4 Song of Creation

//Artifacts: 19
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Chrome Mox
    3 Defense Grid

//Lands: 15
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Wooded Foothills
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Taiga
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Echo of Eons
    1 Pulverize
    1 Cave-In
    1 Reverent Silence
    2 Hope of Ghirapur
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Echoing Truth

I'm enjoying Burning Wish for Echo lines, SB answers, and natural storm lines with Empty and Tendrils. Because Wish finds Echo, that means sometimes I Gamble for LED or Song and risk whiffing, but I can usually sequence my hand so I keep everything relevant with > 66% chance. I also board out Gamble in matchups where consistency matters more than flashiness.

Rather than trying to defend Song with Veil of Summer (1RUGG) or Pyroblast (1RRUG) or Spell Pierce (1RUUG), I've been sticking to protection that can be cast the turn before: Defense Grid and Hope of Ghirapur. That reduces some burden on the mana. Both also work well with Echo.

For a while I was splashing black with 1 Badlands to have SB Abrupt Decay and Massacre. It's a toss-up. Decay is a much more guaranteed answer to a lot of problems, but drawing Badlands/Underground Sea is really bad sometimes.

There's probably a way to make this work with Baubles and Emry, Lurker of the Loch. Emry + Hope of Ghirapur makes a softlock, which is pretty cool. Emry also recycles Defense Grid. You're better at designing those engines. I briefly tried it, but then I backed off the artifact engine for more mana and more must-answers with a natural storm plan B.

Without Riddlesmith or Emry I basically ignore creature removal and grave hate.

I've been on 3-4 Empties to board in the fast Goblin plan to slide under disruption.

Cave-In is tech I can pull off with such a high red count. Otherwise that slot probably has to be Massacre, Flame Slash, Pyroclasm or Forked Bolt.

The non-Wishboard spots are tight, so I try to have them answer as many problems as possible. Echoing Truth answers more things than Abrade while getting around Chalice @ 1 (if Chalice @ 0 becomes more common again then I might go to Chain). Surgical Extraction is gravehate that can also can get rid of pesky cards like Force of Will before casting an Echo.

Thread Information