Page 88 of 180 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 3594

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator

Re: [Deck] B/U Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post
    The reason to use him is that he cannot be (reasonably) edicted. Goblins play edicts as their only removal. They have no swords.
    That's a good point. Though to be fair, he can be killed with a Gempalm Incinerator which every goblin deck I've ever faced ran as a four of. But nevertheless, he is undoubtedly strong against Goblins especially if he comes out early enough.

yeah he definitely needs to get out there fast. If your taking a while your likely to be dead anyway. (vs goblins)

Goblins loses to Zoo, which is the dominate deck at the moment.

We should focus on how we are going to fight Zoo, not goblins.
    this deck crushes zoo. or did you not get the memo?
    Last edited by RexFTW; 07-01-2010 at 07:55 PM.

m currently playing Zoo and hating it. I loved ANT and was fond of Reanimator. I would like to play Reanimator, but I am unsure of the list to play due to the lack of Mystical Tutor. This is what I believe is the best version of this build.

Creatures
    2 Inkwell Leviathan
    2 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Terastodon

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Careful Study
    4 Daze
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Force of Will
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize
    2 Lim-Dul's Vault
    2 Show and Tell

Lands
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Swamp
    1 Island

Sideboard
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Hurkyl's Recall
    2 Null Rod
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Perish

What do you guys think?

@Videogamer99: I'm in favor of the LDV build (I prefer the more comboish method vs the controllish/rock ideas) but any justification of why is it the best build?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokobotenkai View Post
    @Videogamer99: I'm in favor of the LDV build (I prefer the more comboish method vs the controllish/rock ideas) but any justification of why is it the best build?
    Im unsure if it is the optimal build, but it is good for my play style. It remains very similar to the build pre-Mystical banning. LDV is very strong. It is almost as powerful as it was before. UB is better than the inconsistent G splash. Sideboard may need more dedicated to Zoo and Aggro. Maybe Propaganda or Hydroblast. The only thing that Im not sure about is that I am not sold on the Show and Tells.

Quote Originally Posted by videogamer99 View Post
    LDV is very strong. It is almost as powerful as it was before.
    That's a bit of a stretch imo. LDV is no where near as powerful as Mystical Tutor.

You are paying life (which sucks with Reanimates) and also limiting your tutoring to turn 2.

A turn one Mystical Tutor for Entomb, turn two Entomb + Reanimate is a decent play.

A turn two LDV for Entomb, lose ~3 life, turn three Entomb + Reanimate is no where near as strong.

You are effectively expending three mana, three life, two cards and one turn just to get a creature into your graveyard.

This is why I vastly prefer Ideas Unbound. For two mana, one card, you get a creature into your yard that same turn and here's the clincher, you also get to dig three cards deeper. This effectively increases your odds of drawing into a Reanimate or Exhume that you can then use to Reanimate that creature by 40%! It also increases your odds of drawing into that Daze or Thoughtseize you need to ensure that you combo out.

And while it doesn't seem as such on the surface, Ideas Unbound provides great card advantage. This is because you likely have some useless cards like additonal Careful Study, Entomb and such that you can discard, along with the Iona, cards that you never would have cast anyways. So you are effectively trading three cards that you will never hardcast the whole game, for three cards that greatly improve your deck's effectiveness.

What the best build is, is dependent on what you're going for...

If you expect to see a lot of maindeck hate even after this banning, maindeck Show and Tell isn't a bad option.

If you expect to see little maindeck hate, you probably want to maximize speed, consistency and efficency to plow through countermagic and discard without getting phased. The key to that approach is to have such quick and easy access to additional Reanimate effects that your Exhume/Reanimate getting discarded or countered, or your Inkwell getting Edicted doesn't phase you for anything more than half a turn. Something like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
    What do you think of this as a starting point?

Spells
    4 Daze
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    4 Animate Dead
    2 Life/Death
    4 Entomb
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Careful Study
    3 Ideas Unbound

Creatures
    4 Iona
    2 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Blazing Archon

Lands
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

Sideboard Options to deal with the only hate this deck is exceedingly vulnerable to (enchantments that shut down your yard)
    Show and Tell
    Echoing Truth
    Dryad Arbor
    Emerald Charm
    Tranquil Domain
    Reverent Silence

This likewise allows the deck to run effectively 14 Reanimates, 13 Creatures (Counting Entomb) and 13 Discard Outlets (Counting Entomb, Ideas Unbound & Thoughtseize), 7 Disruption Spells and 11 Cantrips all in a curve that stops at two . This works quite out well because Thoughtseize is a card that you would prefer not to have to use as a discard outlet anyways.

Im unsure if it is the optimal build, but it is good for my play style. It remains very similar to the build pre-Mystical banning. LDV is very strong. It is almost as powerful as it was before. UB is better than the inconsistent G splash. Sideboard may need more dedicated to Zoo and Aggro. Maybe Propaganda or Hydroblast. The only thing that Im not sure about is that I am not sold on the Show and Tells.
    What's green splash for? I only run them (a singleton bayou) for grips and/or claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokobotenkai View Post
    What's green splash for? I only run them (a singleton bayou) for grips and/or claims.
    Yeah. Thats usually it. Some people have been splashing G for Goyf

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

UB is better than the inconsistent G splash.
    Saying the green splash is inconsistant is wrong. A little worse against Stifle/Waste, sure, but it is just as consistent.

The more testing I've done, the more I dislike any of the 2cc spells. Ideas Unbound showed promise, but UU is really annoying, especially in matchups where you need to fetch basics. Peer Through Depths is under consideration, but I might as well grab what I want with LDV. At least PtD puts the card in my hand. Revealing the card sucks, but occasionally you can mind trick an opponent by revealing a FoW.

Currently, I'm running Ponder to good results and have 2/3 slots to settle on.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Im trying a slightly different build. Im kinda broke and LDV is now at 7 bucks a pop. If I can get them, Ill run them, but if I cant, Ill run this;
    Creatures
    2 Inkwell Leviathan
    2 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Blazing Archon
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Terastodon

Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Careful Study
    4 Daze
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    4 Reanimate
    4 Thoughtseize

Lands
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Island
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Swamp

Sideboard
    3 Echoing Truth
    3 Perish
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Spell Pierce
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Relic of Progenitus

The Courage Wolf
    Sep 2007
    Tucson, AZ

How good/bad would Impulse (or Peer Through Depths if keeping secrets is less important) be for those people who do not like the life loss of LDV? And what is the average loss of life for LDV? I was all set to buy Reanimator until Mystical Tutor was banned. I'm not saying the deck is now awful, but it is undeniable that the deck has lost a lot of raw power (Tutor bullets, consistent Entombs, etc).

It seems some people have just tried changing the deck by increasing the creature count and going the Careful Study/Ideas Unbound route, which is fine, but after testing it out, it feels less picky which could lead to suboptimal creatures being reanimated (Like finding Iona instead of another creature you want).

i usually pay 0-2 life to get the absolute nuts
    Last edited by RexFTW; 07-03-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Team Nijmegen Failtrain Captain
    Nov 2009
    Nijmegen, Netherlands

and if you decide to run more cantrips,

go get your hands on preordain.

You could play up 12 1-mana cantrips (excluding careful study here), if that doesn't give what you want, I don't know what does.

actually I do, but those are banned

So,

Green splash gonna be better than before? I didnt like it, but this stops bounce, kill spells, and lets you combo more efficiently.

May 2008
    Iowa

Seriously? That's strictly worse than Orim's Chant.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryPheldagrif
    The important thing is to always, always remember that while Brainstorm may require the tea-sipping socialite to think for 15 minutes as to the ideal configuration to optimize his carefully calculated 10 trillion branched decision tree of splendid victory, JUGGERNAUT ATTACKS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

Team Nijmegen Failtrain Captain
    Nov 2009
    Nijmegen, Netherlands

Interesting card, that's about the best I can say about it.

high likely not worth it to play since Xantid Swarm is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better

random scrub

Sep 2004
    Costa La Haya

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
    A turn two LDV for Entomb, lose ~3 life, turn three Entomb + Reanimate is no where near as strong.
    For 3 life you've looked at the top 20 cards of your deck. If you need that much life to find one of your four Entombs you are pretty unlucky. Plus you can set up a reanimation target plus Careful Study if you find these two in the same stack of five. It's most definately not as strong as Mystical Tutor, but it's not a poor choice. And it's not slower than Ideas Unbound, and digs deeper.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by The_Red_Panda View Post
    Seriously? That's strictly worse than Orim's Chant.
    It's worse, but not strictly worse (probably the most overused phrase on these forums). You can use this reactively to counter your opponent's counterspells after you know your opponent has one, whereas Orim's Chant only "does something" if your opponent has a counter.

May 2008
    Iowa

So it's G: Counter target blue or black spell that's countering a spell you control, or targeting a creature you control. Granted, it's not ACTUALLY strictly better than Orim's Chant, but if you're using it re-actively, I'm now fairly sure it's worse than Spell Pierce, in about 90% of cases.

So yes, I was using a cliche incorrectly. It's still not going to make the cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryPheldagrif
    The important thing is to always, always remember that while Brainstorm may require the tea-sipping socialite to think for 15 minutes as to the ideal configuration to optimize his carefully calculated 10 trillion branched decision tree of splendid victory, JUGGERNAUT ATTACKS WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

The Diet Coke of Legacy

Jul 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    Went undefeated at my local event tonight. R.I.P. Mystical Tutor, you've won me many games. It turns out, Mystical for FoW (with no other blue cards) is one of the greatest mind tricks that can no longer be used.
    Truth.
    <Dave> dude...ive done this at ptq

Thread Information