View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

4 2.08%
  • Standstill

6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 832 of 1178 FirstFirst ... 332732782822828829830831832833834835836842882932 ... LastLast
Results 16,621 to 16,640 of 23542

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Re: All B/R update speculation.

We have no clue if sweepers cost too much or not. We haven't seen any other sweep effect really be playable in a hard control deck since terminus was printed. And toxic deluge is a powerful and cheap sweeper that would probably see an uptick in play if terminus weren't the clear and far best one to build around
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I don't think they should kill miracles, what i think they should do is ban terminus so we still have a countertop deck but it isn't too powerful. If they ban Terminus, miracles would have to play a fairer sweeper which will probably be Supreme Verdict.
    I think they should be focusing more on unbanning cards that have got to come off the list already like Mind Twist, Earthcraft, Goblin Recruiter, Mana Drain, Survival of the Fittest and others. What I think will happen is no bans. If they are going to ban anything they're probably also going to unban Mind Twist along with it which will affect the format about as much as the unbanning of Black Vise did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    I'd love to see something like this too, but it's very doubtful. Mind's Desire may be a bit too dangerous to take off, but the others would be cool, and probably only slightly damaging if anything. Plus, Mana Drain is not on the reserved list, so it would give incentive to include it in the Iconic set (I know... no way in hell that's happening).
    I'd love to see them clean house and make legacy the wild west for a while.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

OK. Just saying because it is required in this thread. I'm moving past "just let it go" to "it's time to let it go"

Terminus is fine. It has a drawback that is prohibitive, making it nearly unplayable. <--That statement would be true if Legacy was not a fucked up warped-ass format dominated by a single card. Miracles is one of many decks that only exists because we have this insane card propping up otherwise unwieldy cards.

Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    If you can't innovate to beat the Gorilla Titan/Rest in Peace combo, leave the majestic 600 pound gorilla alone and ban RiP. If for no other reason than the That'sWhatSheSaid flavor text.

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    We have no clue if sweepers cost too much or not. We haven't seen any other sweep effect really be playable in a hard control deck since terminus was printed. And toxic deluge is a powerful and cheap sweeper that would probably see an uptick in play if terminus weren't the clear and far best one to build around
    We do have a clue though. The fact that an uncounterable 4-mana Wrath doesn't see any play goes to show that 4 mana is too expensive for a sweeper. The fact that Pyroclasm doesn't see any play goes to show that cheap sweepers that don't hit big creatures like Goyf, Leo, Eldrazi, etc aren't good. The fact that it takes a 1 mana instant speed tuck to prop up a control deck goes to show how crap other sweepers are. Deluge only sees play because black decks can't run Terminus reliably, plus it has modularity whereas stuff like Drown in Sorrow's -2/-2 suffers from the same problem as Pyroclasm.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    this.
    "eggs... why'd it have to be eggs"

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Is the announcement at 11 AM Eastern or Pacific this time?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Not sure. It's almost always 0200 on a Tuesday my time. That's 29 hours from now.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    We do have a clue though. The fact that an uncounterable 4-mana Wrath doesn't see any play goes to show that 4 mana is too expensive for a sweeper. The fact that Pyroclasm doesn't see any play goes to show that cheap sweepers that don't hit big creatures like Goyf, Leo, Eldrazi, etc aren't good.
    Verdict has seen play, but only in a more mid-rangy deck (Blade). It was run in smaller numbers.
    Basically Verdict won't support a control deck that prefers a clear board. It serves as a back-up plan for a deck built to leverage it's creature but needing a "fail safe" should the board get out of hand.

Creature power (actually toughness) creep is way too much for sweepers like Pyroclasm or Deluge to protect a control deck.
    Supremacy 2020 is the modern era game of nuclear brinksmanship! My blog:
    https://fieldmarshalshandbook.wordpress.com

You can play Lands.dec in EDH too! My primer:
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/t...lara-lands-dec

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Why you guys/gals seriously are bothered that there is no card which comes close to terminus? Why not having Miracles play the same game as the rest of the format having to balance cheap, limited cards with high cost haymakers?
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Feb 2015
    Italy

It would be nice if they could *adapt* their strategy and play the same game as the rest of the format. But instead it's everyone else that have to adapt to a "1 mana: get rid of everything, no question asked" card.
    Ah yes, I forgot the totally backbreaking drawback of having to play brainstorm in order to fix a starting hand that has a miracle in it

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Come on, if any of you really think anything is going to change, please given me whatever pills your on. The real question for this update is if Street Wrath gets the flick in Modern. Legacy, unlikely to change.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Feb 2015
    Italy

Come on, if any of you really think anything is going to change, please given me whatever pills your on. The real question for this update is if Street Wrath gets the flick in Modern. Legacy, unlikely to change.
    I have said that it would be nice if something got the hammer (terminus or even top, but a top ban would obliterate the deck completely), not that I think that something is going to get axed.
    Eventually it's going to be like it always is: from Tuesday, silence will fall on this thread until someone starts the "ban brainstorm" thing again.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

We do have a clue though. The fact that an uncounterable 4-mana Wrath doesn't see any play goes to show that 4 mana is too expensive for a sweeper. The fact that Pyroclasm doesn't see any play goes to show that cheap sweepers that don't hit big creatures like Goyf, Leo, Eldrazi, etc aren't good. The fact that it takes a 1 mana instant speed tuck to prop up a control deck goes to show how crap other sweepers are. Deluge only sees play because black decks can't run Terminus reliably, plus it has modularity whereas stuff like Drown in Sorrow's -2/-2 suffers from the same problem as Pyroclasm.
    The uncounterable 4 mana wrath sees no play because why would you play it when you have a 1 mana wrath you could be playing? There's no other control deck in the format, not because the cards aren't good enough, but because miracles is clear and away the best control deck and there's no reason to even try to play anything else. Yes the pyroclasm style sweep effects aren't that great anymore, but most red sweep effects are dealing 3 these days. And Deluge sees play because it is a good card, but it sees limited play because there's not a black control deck because why would you play black when you could be playing miracles? Miracles stifles diversity of control decks the same way that people argue Survival would do to green mid range decks, or delver does to aggro decks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Greatness awaits!
    Oct 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Miracles stifles diversity of control decks the same way that people argue Survival would do to green mid range decks, or delver does to aggro decks
    I think, that the underlying point made here is, that diversity suffers, if one of the available options is just miles better than others.

In terms of Miracles its indeed pointless to argue about or consider alternatives to a 1cc instant sweeper.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

Join us at Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Deluge is also incredibly flexible. Sure, I'll wipe your board of all your X/1 and X/2 and still swing in with my Tarmogoyfs.

I don't want Top to go. I like it in other decks. But Terminus is awful.

Probably won't be any changes tomorrow to Legacy, but we can still hope.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

That's like arguing that the format needs StP because Murder doesn't see play.

The other sweepers don't see more play because Terminus outclasses them all. Who right in their mind would pay more mana for a worse sorcery speed sweeper when you can fire off Terminus at instant speed for ? And nonblue ways (blue has counters, Clique & Stifle) to fight it are basically non-existant (Teeg and Prelate, which both die to StP; also Warping Wail).

The Agonistic Antagonist
    Mar 2015

The uncounterable 4 mana wrath sees no play because why would you play it when you have a 1 mana wrath you could be playing? There's no other control deck in the format, not because the cards aren't good enough, but because miracles is clear and away the best control deck and there's no reason to even try to play anything else. Yes the pyroclasm style sweep effects aren't that great anymore, but most red sweep effects are dealing 3 these days. And Deluge sees play because it is a good card, but it sees limited play because there's not a black control deck because why would you play black when you could be playing miracles? Miracles stifles diversity of control decks the same way that people argue Survival would do to green mid range decks, or delver does to aggro decks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    That's like arguing that the format needs StP because Murder doesn't see play.

The other sweepers don't see more play because Terminus outclasses them all. Who right in their mind would pay more mana for a worse sorcery speed sweeper when you can fire off Terminus at instant speed for ?
    Did WoG or Damnation see play before Terminus was printed? No. Legacy is too fast of a format for a 4 mana sorcery-speed spell that doesn't have some iteration of "win the game" on it to be of any significant use.
    The purpose of any moat is to impede attack. Some are filled with water, some with thistles. Some are filled with things best left unseen.

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

Did WoG or Damnation see play before Terminus was printed? No. Legacy is too fast of a format for a 4 mana sorcery-speed spell that doesn't have some iteration of "win the game" on it to be of any significant use.
    Wrath of God absolutely saw play in Landstill/Stoneblade decks pre-Terminus.

Supreme Verdict is actually quite powerful in my opinion and would be played more in a world without Terminus, but as things currently stand it simply can't compete with the efficiency.

Thread Information