Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MEANDECK OPEN: LEGACY - Sunday, December 28, 2008

MEANDECK OPEN: LEGACY - Sunday, December 28, 2008

ANNOUNCEMENT: MEANDECK OPEN – LEGACY TOURNAMENT
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 – Columbus, Ohio

With the American Legacy Grand Prix only a few months away, it is the perfect time to play Legacy!

WHAT: LEGACY! Tournament

Swiss + Top 8.

Entry is $15

Note: This tournament will NOT be sanctioned so that players can play with proxies to try out decks they may not want to invest in for the actual Grand Prix.

*** 20 Proxy Limit ***

PRIZES:
    CASH!!!
    1st Place: 50% of Prize Pool
    2nd Place: 25% of Prize Pool
    3rd Place: 12.5% of Prize Pool
    4th Place: 12.5% of Prize Pool

$200 minimum prize pool!

There will also be door prizes. I will consult with teammates about additional cool prizes, and update this thread with that information. If you have suggestions or requests, PM me with that information and we’ll see what we can do!

WHEN: Sunday, December 28, 2008

The store opens at 12 Noon. Registration starts at 12:30. Tournament begins at 1pm sharp.

WHERE:

The Soldiery
    4256 N. High St.
    Columbus, Ohio 43214

DOPENESS FACTOR

Come meet 2007 Magic Worlds finalist PATRICK “The Innovator” CHAPIN! You’ve seen him on the Magic show, you’ve probably read his articles, now come meet the man. Also, check out thenlu.com!

DOPENESS FACTOR * 2

Hang out 2008 Vintage Champ PAUL “Mr. Type 4” MASTRIANO and JOIN IN a giant Type Four game after the tournament at THURMAN’S! YOU MUST try a Thurman Burger:
    http://columbusalive.com/2008/best/d...er-thurman.jpg

This will be the perfect opportunity to test your deck ideas before the Grand Prix! If you are a Midwesterner, you can NOT miss this event!

Hope you can make it!
    Last edited by Smmenen; 12-18-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Bryant Cook

Re: MEANDECK OPEN: LEGACY - Sunday, December 28, 2008

No 4th place? Seems weak to me, you may want to work on that.

Unfortunately, we couldn't find another 10% out of 100 ;)

Bryant Cook

Why not 50%, 25%, 12.5%, 12.5%? Seems more balanced to me.

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Prize support isn't beefy enough for me to drive out to Ohio for this. Plus it's on a terrible day, Sunday. This looks like a tournament for local Legacy players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    Prize support isn't beefy enough for me to drive out to Ohio for this. Plus it's on a terrible day, Sunday. This looks like a tournament for local Legacy players.
    Sunday has typically been the best day since people with busy lives (girlfriends, families, etc) don't want to eat up the entire weekend with a Saturday tournament smack dab in the middle of it. A Sunday tournament preserves the Saturday family experience and allows busy people to sling cards without getting female flak.

Also, we will have large contingent's driving from Michigan (Pat Chapin & Co.) and Pennsylvania (from the Pittsburgh area). It's only about a 3 hour drive from both places. Sometimes, West Virginia people also make the trip.

If you are in the Indiana, PA, MI, WV area, it's probably under a 4 hour drive for you.

Part of the draw isn't the prizes, but the practice. Legacy is a blast, but there often aren't alot of Ohio area tournaments with good players. We hope to correct that :)

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Yeah, come on out and bash up Meandeckers all day : ) It'll be a fun event, I can guarantee that. If you're bummed about the prize support, why play legacy at all : D The last event of this kind got 30 people in, so the prize support pool is likely to be $400+ dollars, which is pretty damn good for a nonsanctioned event. The T4 will probably do a cash split anyway in some form.

If you can't make it in under the proxy limit, send me a PM and we'll work something out. We want as many people as possible to come out and give Legacy a shot!

Leroy Rochester
    Jun 2004
    Cabrini–Green

Quote Originally Posted by hi-val View Post
    If you're bummed about the prize support, why play legacy at all : D
    You've seen the east coast prize support, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Smmenen View Post
    Sunday has typically been the best day since people with busy lives (girlfriends, families, etc) don't want to eat up the entire weekend with a Saturday tournament smack dab in the middle of it. A Sunday tournament preserves the Saturday family experience and allows busy people to sling cards without getting female flak.
    While this may be true for people that live in the area, a Sunday event is inconvenient for people who are traveling from say Virginia or New York. Personally, the prize support is not enticing enough for me to drive out to Ohio and use vacation time to get Monday off from work. Anyway, I'm sure this event will be a blast, and I hope you guys have a good turnout.
    My only dream is that yours never come true.
    "People played violin as the Titanic sank. Tomorrow they will play Green Day songs with plastic keytars as their Hoovervilles burn."

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Part of the draw isn't the prizes, but the practice. Legacy is a blast, but there often aren't alot of Ohio area tournaments with good players. We hope to correct that :)
    What if your family experience is watching the pigskin? I'm sure the event will be a fine event, it's just too far and on a poor day to draw numbers from the East Coast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

snooty tea cats

Jan 2008

13 Hour ride from Boston.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ochoa
    Shuffles, much like commas, are useful for altering tempo to add feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mcdonalds View Post
    I just come for the pretty pictures and mono-trolls.

Wasted Wizard
    Jul 2007
    Dedham, MA

DOPENESS FACTOR * 2
    I this initially seems like one of Ray's cool announcement math problems, but it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamfishman View Post
    Dopeness Factor: The greatest integer multiple of 8, no two of whose digits are the same.
    And yeah, Boston = no go.

Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Oh yeah I wouldn't expect people to drive from the East Coast for this but if you're within a 4hr drive, it's an entirely enjoyable event to go to. That said, if you're not from Ohio and you're reading this thread, my compliments, it speaks to your willingness to travel to Legacy events : D

We'll be having two more after this, so if the turnout gets to be epic, the prize support will naturally be 100% of that epic.

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

I'll more than likely be there. With at least 3 other people
    Men yet not comprehending their stick in the scheme of the prey-on-prey ballet of ending day
    My eBay Auctions (art alterations! I FIXED THE LINK) - http://shop.ebay.com/yawg07/m.html

DOPENESS FACTOR

Come meet 2007 Magic Worlds finalist PATRICK “The Innovator” CHAPIN! You’ve seen him on the Magic show, you’ve probably read his articles, now come meet the man. Also, check out thenlu.com!

DOPENESS FACTOR * 2

Hang out 2008 Vintage Champ PAUL “Mr. Type 4” MASTRIANO and JOIN IN a giant Type Four game after the tournament at THURMAN’S! YOU MUST try a Thurman Burger:
    http://columbusalive.com/2008/best/d...er-thurman.jpg
    Aside from your poor prize structure and un-sanctioned-ness, I find this particularly offensive. Leave dopeness factors to Ray.

LAMENESS FACTOR OF STEALING FUN THINGS:
    Imagine a circle with two thousand points along its circumference. Starting at any point and moving clockwise, number them one to two thousand. Then, on point number point one, place the number one. Skip two spots clockwise, and place the number two. Continue in this fashion until you have placed numbers up to 2000.

The lameness factor is equal to the highest integer on the first spot on the circle.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    You've seen the east coast prize support, right?
    The prize support is 100% of the entry fees in CASH. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Apr 2006
    Nashville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by saspook View Post
    The prize support is 100% of the entry fees in CASH. That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

That is incorrect. The prize pool does not equal the entry fee in cash. We don't know what the prize pool will be because of player turnout and what part of the 15 dollars will go into the prize pool.
    ~Shriek~

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Tartell View Post
    Aside from your poor prize structure and un-sanctioned-ness, I find this particularly offensive. Leave dopeness factors to Ray.
    Ray is a friend of mine. If you are offended, I suggest you grow up. There many other things that cause offense aside from my borrowing Ray's phraseology, like Janet Jackson's nipple.

Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Quote Originally Posted by nickrit2000 View Post
    That is incorrect. The prize pool does not equal the entry fee in cash. We don't know what the prize pool will be because of player turnout and what part of the 15 dollars will go into the prize pool.
    I have never seen the prize pool below $200, and it often goes much higher.

As far as what the prize pool is, I'm pretty sure it defaults to a certain prize amount and then goes up; in Ohio, it's illegal to charge a rake because then it's gambling, so it's not like a set % comes out of every entry fee. It's a lot more generous than that and a lot more generous than offering cards of lower value in its place.

If you want to talk trash about a juicy prize structure (this is the only event I can think of that actually hands out cash) about an event you're not attending, why are you reading this thread/posting in this thread?

In the future, I suggest the following form post for threads like these: "sweet, another Legacy tournament! I hope the T8 gets posted and everyone has fun."

There, isn't that more friendly and mature?

Leroy Rochester
    Jun 2004
    Cabrini–Green

If you want to talk trash about a juicy prize structure (this is the only event I can think of that actually hands out cash) about an event you're not attending, why are you reading this thread/posting in this thread?
    Sensitive much? I don't see how anything Nick said could be considered "talking trash".

Also, plenty of events give out cash. I know Ray offers a cash option, and we have events like this in NY.
    My only dream is that yours never come true.
    "People played violin as the Titanic sank. Tomorrow they will play Green Day songs with plastic keytars as their Hoovervilles burn."

I have never seen the prize pool below $200, and it often goes much higher.

As far as what the prize pool is, I'm pretty sure it defaults to a certain prize amount and then goes up; in Ohio, it's illegal to charge a rake because then it's gambling, so it's not like a set % comes out of every entry fee. It's a lot more generous than that and a lot more generous than offering cards of lower value in its place.

In the future, I suggest the following form post for threads like these: "sweet, another Legacy tournament! I hope the T8 gets posted and everyone has fun."

There, isn't that more friendly and mature?
    1. There's a difference between saying "First place is 60% of prize pool" and "First place is 60% of collected entry fees." That's what Nick was trying to point out.

2. I think the prize support is setting people off not because it's bad, but because it's so top heavy. I think Bryant had a decent enough idea of 50, 25, 12.5, 12.5. Figuring out a way to extend to top 8 would be even better.

3. I rarely see a Legacy event that doesn't have at least a cash prize option. Don't think you're special.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Thread Information