4 Brainstorm
    4 Mystical Tutor

SB
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Duress
    3 Echoing Truth
    3 Pithing Needle
    4 Engineered Plague

Nassim Ketita, from London, Ontario, had played the deck to a 9-1-1 record after 11 rounds. He'd just picked it up instead of playing Solidarity, he did amazing with it. Was it the meta?

Obviously I bring this up because this deck has had very little action here on The Source. Alot of people mention it but no ones talking about it. Is it that underground. Nausea's had alot more notice here rightfully so. But the Tendrils deck thats putting up numbers is no where to be seen.

This deck just got two huge additions in the past 3 sets.

Leyline of the Void
    This card is auto trump to the most played deck in the format. Sorry Thresh I win game one.. It also lets IGG work only in our favor. After it discards our opponents hand of course.

No more opponents returning Force to hand during your combo. No more reanimator tricks, no survival toolbox bs, no more flashbacked anythings, maindeck graveyard hate. HOly ShIT! That scares me!

Infernal Tutor
    Do I need to start? This card is ridonculous in here. Im pretty sure it could safely replace Telling Time or Impulse.

Discussion?
    Last edited by Bane of the Living; 06-28-2006 at 10:25 PM.
    Now playing real formats.

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Re: Infernal Iggy Pop

Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living
    Infernal Tutor
    Do I need to start? This card is redonculous in here. Im pretty sure it could safely replace Intuition.
    I don't think that Infernal Tutor should replace Intuition. I was under the impression that Intuition was very important as it fills up your graveyard with what you need for Ill-Gotten Gains to go infinite.
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Re: Infernal Iggy Pop

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
    I don't think that Infernal Tutor should replace Intuition. I was under the impression that Intuition was very important as it fills up your graveyard with what you need for Ill-Gotten Gains to go infinite.
    Intuition doesn't go. You replace the Intuition slots with Infernal Tutor. Also, change from to Echoing Truth. You do this (so Chalice @ 0, 1 doesn't spell GG) to support MD Leyline of the Void for a heavy disruption element against Threshold and any other deck where you start the game with Leyline and play IGG (and proceed to win). Other changes are losing the Telling Time and Chromatic Spheres for an additional Tendrils of Agony and 4 Leyline of the Void.

These changes bring you up to speed with the latest suggested incarnation of the deck when Dissension becomes legal. Check TMD's Iggy Pop thread for more info.

The 4 Underground Sea is a misprint, it should have been 2 Underground Sea and that's all you need.

The updated decklist that is recommended by the deck's creator on TMD:

Iggy Pop

4 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Ill-Gotten Gains
    4 Intuition
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Echoing Truth
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Island
    2 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Re: [Deck] Iggy Pop

Michael Bomholt's primer which was published by StarCityGames is a very good introduction to the deck. When I started playing the deck I read over his primer and then went through many gold-fishing sessions. The primer is located at -

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...cle/10989.html

It obviously doesn't include the newer cards like Leyline of the Void or Infernal Tutor, but its just as relevant today as a starting point for learning the deck.

As a side note, I stopped playing the deck because it was difficult to beat Solidarity and Gro (both are always in my meta).

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Leyline is surely a back breaker for Thresh decks. Its nice to have a hate card maindeck against the most played deck in the format. Even when not playing against Thresh, turning IGG into..

2BB
    You and your opponent discard your hand.
    You return 3 cards from your graveyard to your hand.
    Remove IGG from the game.

Wow.

More testing has shown turn 2 IT for my second Cabal Ritual or Dark Ritual or LED makes the next turn a tko. It sets you up for alot of explosivness.

[Canadian Badass]

Mar 2006
    Canada - Duh

Does anyone have a list of goldfishes? This deck is consistantly fast and I would like to see the number of turn 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 kills.

On a sidenote, I think this deck is inherintly better than Nausea because it ony has to rely on a 2 color mana base.

EDIT: Link to TMD discussion here
    Last edited by MonkeY; 05-01-2006 at 10:09 PM.
    If I say something dumb, I'm drunk. Trust me.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living
    Leyline is surely a back breaker for Thresh decks. Its nice to have a hate card maindeck against the most played deck in the format. Even when not playing against Thresh, turning IGG into..

2BB
    You and your opponent discard your hand.
    You return 3 cards from your graveyard to your hand.
    Remove IGG from the game.

Wow.

More testing has shown turn 2 IT for my second Cabal Ritual or Dark Ritual or LED makes the next turn a tko. It sets you up for alot of explosivness.
    I have tested Leyline of the Void though I was running it out of the board. I do think it makes sense in the main deck. I was considering the same move before I stopped playing the deck. While a first turn Leyline is very good against Threshold it doesn't get around the fact that your spells can still be countered. Every Ill-Gotten Gains can still be countered and often you won't have enough spells that they need to counter. They won't counter your acceleration, but will counter or Ill-Gotten Gains or even Intuition to prevent you from continuing the combo. I'm still seeing this deck have trouble with Threshold. Is this incorrect? Has anyone tested the deck recently against Threshold to make this incorrect because of Leyline of the Void.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101
    I have tested Leyline of the Void though I was running it out of the board. I do think it makes sense in the main deck. I was considering the same move before I stopped playing the deck. While a first turn Leyline is very good against Threshold it doesn't get around the fact that your spells can still be countered. Every Ill-Gotten Gains can still be countered and often you won't have enough spells that they need to counter. They won't counter your acceleration, but will counter or Ill-Gotten Gains or even Intuition to prevent you from continuing the combo. I'm still seeing this deck have trouble with Threshold. Is this incorrect? Has anyone tested the deck recently against Threshold to make this incorrect because of Leyline of the Void.
    Well with Leyline neutering most of their threats, I suppose you could just play the accelaration like you said and just go for a couple big Tendrils, working up a storm count of 4-5, then play Tendrils, and use the life gain to setup the next one. I would assume boarding in Defense Grid and Xantid Swarm would help, making their counters/removal cost three more.

I haven't tested this much, I'm just going by what's pointed out in the primer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Feb 2005
    Fremont, Nebraska

I've been gold fishing Mental Note in the Telling Time/Impulse slot as an aid to quick Threshold. Seems to work great! Any comments?
    You can't kill my Zombies - they're already dead!
    Shoes for Industry!
    Reality is for people who can't deal with Middle Earth.
    Too much is never enough - I'm addicted to MORE!!!

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by syssc9
    I've been gold fishing Mental Note in the Telling Time/Impulse slot as an aid to quick Threshold. Seems to work great! Any comments?
    The first version of the deck I played was just like the Primer -2 Chromatic Sphere (I think this card is terrible in the deck) and -2 Strategic Planning +4 Mental Note. The reason for Mental Note was not just for Threshold, but also because when you combo off the cards you put in the graveyard can be replayed via Ill-Gotten Gains. I found the card solid, but I agree that Leyline of the Void should be played in that spot instead. Leyline fixes so many of the decks problems mainly the ability to recur spells by your opponent. It also allows you to play Mind Twist for 4 mana.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101
    The first version of the deck I played was just like the Primer -2 Chromatic Sphere (I think this card is terrible in the deck) and -2 Strategic Planning +4 Mental Note. The reason for Mental Note was not just for Threshold, but also because when you combo off the cards you put in the graveyard can be replayed via Ill-Gotten Gains. I found the card solid, but I agree that Leyline of the Void should be played in that spot instead. Leyline fixes so many of the decks problems mainly the ability to recur spells by your opponent. It also allows you to play Mind Twist for 4 mana.
    Not just Mind Twist, but to RFG your opponent's hand. This is Extremely Important against decks packing Fow. Since I have MD Leyline in my build, I have also added Duress back in, since it can much more effectively clear the way for the Turn 2 Yawgmoth's Mindtwist. I've also cut down on the Fetchland count to add in 3 Chrome Mox. These have been amazing in testing. They allow for more free storm at worst, and get rid of extra Leylines that otherwise clog your hand for Infernal Tutor.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare
    Not just Mind Twist, but to RFG your opponent's hand. This is Extremely Important against decks packing Fow. Since I have MD Leyline in my build, I have also added Duress back in, since it can much more effectively clear the way for the Turn 2 Yawgmoth's Mindtwist. I've also cut down on the Fetchland count to add in 3 Chrome Mox. These have been amazing in testing. They allow for more free storm at worst, and get rid of extra Leylines that otherwise clog your hand for Infernal Tutor.
    If a deck is playing Force of Will then it should probably Force your Ill-Gotten Gains if you have a Leyline of the Void in play. If you are able to go off after that then it might work, but don't kid yourself - Force of Will is still bad news. Playing Duress in the main deck still seems like a mistake because it removes another combo or search spell to play a disruption spell that only works with Leyline of the Void.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Wow Chrome Mox is such a good idea. Did you cut out actual fetch lands or other cards?

Feb 2005
    Fremont, Nebraska

@AnwarA101 - I am also running Leyline and would not be without the card in this deck. In fact I just built the deck last weekend and my initial build includes it. Early this morning I replaced Telling Time with Mental Note and I see direct improvement. Faster, more reliable threshold and a quicker kill. The fist three times I goldfished this deck, I was had Leyline and IGG in my opening hand and enough acceleration to cast it (IGG). That has to hurt, wrestling fans!
    Shoes for Industry!

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

@AnwarA101 - I am also running Leyline and would not be without the card in this deck. In fact I just built the deck last weekend and my initial build includes it. Early this morning I replaced Telling Time with Mental Note and I see direct improvement. Faster, more reliable threshold and a quicker kill. The fist three times I goldfished this deck, I was had Leyline and IGG in my opening hand and enough acceleration to cast it (IGG). That has to hurt, wrestling fans!
    So what card have you cut to play both Leyline and Mental Note? I only had spot for 1 one of those two cards. I imagine that you cut Impulse/Telling Time slot? That seems okay, but I really think that Infernal Tutor needs to go into that spot. I'm going to start testing the new build suggested by the creator -

4 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Ill-Gotten Gains
    4 Intuition
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Echoing Truth
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Island
    2 Swamp
    2 Underground Sea

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Mystical Tutor is just so.... eh.

How about:
    -2 Mystical Tutor
    -1 Tendrils of Agony
    -1 Infernal Tutor

+4 Mental Note.

Infernal Tutor can grab extra copies of whatever, but you're porbably not in a good position to use Infernal Tutor if you're lacking a game-breaker (IGG, Cabal Ritual, LED). Intuition is STILL the #1 tutor for this deck. Infernal Tutor simply aids in completing the combo faster: ie. more mana to go off with.

Feb 2005
    Fremont, Nebraska

@AnwarA101 - The simple answer to your question is that I do not have any Infernal Tutors. Frankly, I am having trouble seeing how they could help this deck in any substantive way. Win more? This is, of course, sans testing. I agree completely with ruckus - Intuition is #1!
    Shoes for Industry!

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

@AnwarA101 - The simple answer to your question is that I do not have any Infernal Tutors. Frankly, I am having trouble seeing how they could help this deck in any substantive way. Win more? This is, of course, sans testing. I agree completely with ruckus - Intuition is #1!
    Intuition is also blue, and costs 3. It's worth noting that going Cabal Ritual, LED, Infernal Tutor(crack) for IGG, IGG for Cabal+LED+Tutor leaves you with exactly the same mana you started with. This means its free to do that. FREE. Intuition can't say that.

@ FoW and Duress - I'm not kidding myself, I know. However, with Infernal Tutor, you don't need the extra draw/search! I'm running 4 intuition, 4 Tutor, and 4 Brainstorm. That's all I've needed, although I admit I may change it to 3 Intuition/1 Mystical. Infernal Tutor is that good. Adding Duress does slow the deck down by a turn or so. However I feel it's worth it to add this bit of disruption so you can guarantee the ability to go off at your leisure. There's a lot to be said for turn 0 Leyline, turn 1 Duress, turn 2 IGG returning Ritual, X, X, and then having all the time in the world to build up the perfect hand.

@ Chrome Mox - I only run 4 fetches, 5 basics (3 Swamp, Black is so much more important than blue now) and 2 Useas. This hasn't really been an issue, but I can see it being a problem vs. Gro. I'll be testing the matchup a lot more soon.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-11-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Intuition is also blue, and costs 3. It's worth noting that going Cabal Ritual, LED, Infernal Tutor(crack) for IGG, IGG for Cabal+LED+Tutor leaves you with exactly the same mana you started with. This means its free to do that. FREE. Intuition can't say that.

@ FoW and Duress - I'm not kidding myself, I know. However, with Infernal Tutor, you don't need the extra draw/search! I'm running 4 intuition, 4 Tutor, and 4 Brainstorm. That's all I've needed, although I admit I may change it to 3 Intuition/1 Mystical. Infernal Tutor is that good. Adding Duress does slow the deck down by a turn or so. However I feel it's worth it to add this bit of disruption so you can guarantee the ability to go off at your leisure. There's a lot to be said for turn 0 Leyline, turn 1 Duress, turn 2 IGG returning Ritual, X, X, and then having all the time in the world to build up the perfect hand.

@ Chrome Mox - I only run 4 fetches, 5 basics (3 Swamp, Black is so much more important than blue now) and 2 Useas. This hasn't really been an issue, but I can see it being a problem vs. Gro. I'll be testing the matchup a lot more soon.
    Getting your mana source dazed does seem like a slight issue. Doesn't chrome mox also hurt more against B/W Confidant where you rarely have extra cards in hand to pitch?
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by emidln
    Getting your mana source dazed does seem like a slight issue. Doesn't chrome mox also hurt more against B/W Confidant where you rarely have extra cards in hand to pitch?
    Vs. Daze: Lead with the land, and it won't get Dazed. Vs. B/W Confidant: At worst, +1 Storm. At best, an un-sinkholeable Swamp. This is a matchup where Duress shines.

Also: I don't know about sideboards, I haven't really looked at lists, but you should all have 4x Defense Grid in yours. AMAZING.

Thread Information