Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The EPIC DLD and MORE!!!!

EPIC awesomeness
    Mar 2004
    Baldwinsville/Oswego, NY

The EPIC DLD and MORE!!!!

The EPIC Dual Land Draft and MORE!!!

Who: EPIC, and everybody else too.

What: A DLD bigger than any before. Entry fee is $30. This is to compensate for additional prizes. As you will see, the top 16 players will walk out with their entry fee back. This event WILL BE SANCTIONED. We will have a Level 2 judge running the event, you don't get much better than that without being Wizards sponsored.

Where: Baldwinsville, NY. Veterans Of Foreign Wars Post 153 Salina Wood, Baldwinsville, NY 13027. For those of you who have been, it is about 5 minutes from The Red Mill Inn.

When: 11 am, October 7, 2007. This is a Sunday, but also a 3 day weekend thanks to Mr. Columbus. Travel should be easy due to the long weekend, and I think everybody has enough notice, no excuses not to be here.

Why: Because we wanna have a kickass tourney.

Prize support, bigger and better!!! Duals will be GUARANTEED, ON HAND, AND IN GOOD SHAPE. I heard someone a while ago complain because they picked Seas, and then were bummed because they were in crappy shape. I can't guarantee mint condition, but they won't be beat.

Obviously since this is a DLD, there will be the standard 40 dual lands up for grabs. There will also be 10 more prizes offered. Because of the added prizes, they will go all the way to top 16. That's right, TOP 16 PRIZES!!! No draft sets here either, real prizes!

Here's the way it'll go down, After X rounds of swiss, top 8 will be announced, along with 9-16. Top 8 will have a playoff for their picks, 9-16 will be based upon standings because playing a top 16 takes too friggin long. Here's the way the prizes will go.

1st place-1st pick and 9th pick
    2nd place- 2nd pick and 10th pick
    3rd place-3rd pick and 11th pick
    4th place- 4th pick and 12th pick
    5th place- 5th pick
    6th place- 6th pick
    7th place- 7th pick
    8th place- 8th pick
    9-16 get picks 13-20 in order by standings.

This means that there will be a normal dual land draft, plus 10 more picks given out.

Here are some of our ideas for the extra prizes, these aren't set in stone, but this is what the prizes will resemble.

Extra Prizes WILL include:
    4x Wasteland
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Beta Bolt
    4x Survival of the Fittest
    4x ???
    4x ???
    4x ???
    4x ???
    4x ???

???= a yet to be determined playset of cards valued somewhere between a set of Wastelands and a set of Polluted Deltas

The top 16 should get their money back with these prizes, and anybody has a shot at top 16, so you don't have to be a top player to walk out with a good prize.

The duals are guaranteed to be given out, top 16 prizes will be given out at 50 people, which is cake considering to be a major legacy event we need to have 50.

At 60 people we will be adding in a playset of Force of Will!

At 70 people we will add another 4 Blue Dual Lands!

There will also be random door prizes given out regardless of attendance.

We want this to be the biggest non-GP/convention Legacy tournament ever. The more people that show up, the better the prizes get.

Pizza will be available.

For the more mature crowd, err... well, our over 21 crowd, there is a bar on site that the VFW runs. If drinking gets out of hand, you will be asked to leave without a refund.

Ok, so here's the closest hotel to this biatch, reasonably priced also. http://www.microtelinn.com/reservati...ccess_code=&i=
    Saving money is completely assuming that you stuff as many people possible into the room, which just makes sense to me.

This things gonna be EPIC!!!!
    More details to come!!!
    Last edited by bigbear102; 10-03-2007 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Making this even cooler!
    EPIC Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.
    -My hero

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Agent View Post
    For some odd reason, I find shackles to be superb against creature oriented decks. Of course, the logic behind it is the sooner you can play and activate shackles the better. Although, shackles definitely has it's late game uses as well. It basically counts as a threat and a removal spell simultaneously which is relevant against "not quite shroud" creatures. Also, you should really be running a playset of engineered plagues against merfolks. They can dismantle tribal decks so run more of them.
    -I don't think this one was a joke...

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: The EPIC DLD and MORE!!!!

My inclination is to make it all mana. Something like

5x Fetchlands
    4x Mox Diamond
    4x Chrome Mox
    4x Wasteland
    4x City of Brass
    4x Gemstone Mine

The last four seem a little weak. Maybe Foily/DCI versions? Foily Chrome Mox/Wastelands are worth a bit more than a Bayou, but foily CoBs and Mines are still worth less.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

For the most part, we're not concentrating on land, but rather format staple type stuff. Chrome Mox might be worth throwing into the mix, but Mox Diamond? We want people to be able to use their prizes, or at least sell them.

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

If you are looking for things that may (probably will) get picked before the dual lands then Sea Drakes would be sweet, Sinkholes as well. For lower end or roughly equal picks I would suggest:

x4 Force of Will
    x4 Pithing Needles
    x4 Wasteland
    x4 Rishadan Ports (not sure about his one)
    x4 Dark Confidant (lower end but it fits into so many decks)
    and of course
    (x4 Felchland)x5

I'm not a fan of beta/foil stuff. I think that people will go for staples before wanting "Pimp". Just my suggestion.
    Last edited by revenge_inc; 06-13-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This thread disgusts me. Carry on.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

I know many people who want to pick up Fetchlands. Its a card that is always in demand. I was thinking there should be a tournament out there that has like Duals and Fetchs as its prize. Why don't you guys do that? Just have 40 Duals and 40 Fetchs (two sets) and let the Top8 pick from either set. Then 9-16 will pick up what is left. There might even be less desired Duals that are left for people who make T16.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

We're planning to have plenty of prizes on hand to cater to the needs of the attendees. We don't plan to give more than 1 set of duals and fetches, but the rest is pretty open. Originally, our intent was to give out 1 set of duals, 1 set of Fetches, and a set of X to the top 16, but we figured giving out 20 prizes was better. Expect a pretty broad range of options, even if you come in 16th. I don't believe the last prize will be a "you're stuck with it" prize, there will still be options for that place.

2 sets of fetches would take the whole prize pool, we'd rather it be a little more expansive.

Small Eyed Unicorn
    Mar 2006
    RoChEsTa

This tournament sounds Kick-Ass. Count me in!
    Team Unicorn- "I'm Horny."

"The Wandering One" of Legacy.

"Glimmervoid, Go."

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Is this sanctioned?

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Mox Diamond pwns your face!!!

This is too freaking far for me. I expect nova not to play shitty decks at this tournament.

Just for the record, Oswego is not really "close to Rochester and Syracuse". Syracuse is closer to Rochester than Oswego is, at least in terms of driving time.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Just use 104 instead of the thruway. It goes alot quicker.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Bryant Cook

Will there be Grozoth!?!

I was referring to 104. 104 is no thruway - you have to go a lot slower.

I don't think it would make as much sense to take the thruway to Oswego, but I can make better time taking the thruway/81 to Watertown than 104.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Bryant Cook

Would anyone be interested in a 10$ side event for a playset of Beta Sinkholes?

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

If I am available, I'll need a ride from other Rochester players. Not having a car FTL.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Phasing, cumulative upkeep, echo, fading, flanking, rampage
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Is this sanctioned?
    Yes
    Old Fogey

You're not just wrong, rules say you're a dick!

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    I expect nova not to play shitty decks at this tournament.
    No promises. You won't be there to sign my registration slip.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

I was referring to 104. 104 is no thruway - you have to go a lot slower.

I don't think it would make as much sense to take the thruway to Oswego, but I can make better time taking the thruway/81 to Watertown than 104.
    Does this mean that Rochester wouldn't be interested on principle that Oswego is farther than Syracuse?

Will there be Grozoth!?!
    THERE WILL BE GROZOTH MARATHON.

I will also offer a grozoth to everyone who does not top 16. For serious. Anyone interested in that?
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    I will also offer a grozoth to everyone who does not top 16. For serious. Anyone interested in that?
    I'm in if you promise to sign it!

Thread Information