Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
Legacy has lost its shine. Not to us no, but to those who would have once joined our ranks. I have seen more people sell out of Legacy in the past 12 month then ever before. Hell even I have to a point. I basicly own Lands, Stax, Goblins and Elves now. Nothing else. Even that I will likely cut down on.

Who, as they get older, have kids, need house repayments, a new car or a set of school uniforms for the kids are really going to pick cardboard over life? We a tenacious bunch sure, but nothing lasts forever. And as we slowly fade who's really coming up to replace us? Fewer and fewer people will since Modern is a cheaper and good enough alternative for ones amusement.
I think all of this has to do with priorities. I have a couple of legacy decks built as well and if I ever felt the need to sell them in order to finance a house or pay for my kids braces then I will. I only get to play with the cards 1-2 times a month and to be honest that is enough for me at this time in my life. I know full well that my kids won't be small forever and that when they become old enough and think I'm boring as shit then I'll need to find a hobby. Thankfully I already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
When I moved here and showed up for the first Legacy night, the other players were like "wow, a 6th person to play sanctioned Legacy!" Now Legacy regularly fires twice a week here with 15-20 players on average. That's in less than two years. I play against kids younger than the cards all the time. Major-tournament Legacy support is creeping up as well; even SCG is running more Sunday tournaments after their departure from the open series touched off the Legacy-is-dying mania.

I don't see a need to be so melodramatic I guess. Sometimes people get so down on MTG I feel like playing makes me stupid. On the other hand I actually do have kids and a job and a house and it kind of irritates me when people say that you can't have that and also play Magic. I'm posting here on work downtime and I play on weekday evenings with the very occasional weekend tournament that I plan for. Am I supposed to be grouting my tub at 8pm on Tuesday? Am I supposed to be setting a fantasy football lineup instead with my leisure time?
After I moved to a rural area I basically created my own legacy scene at my LGS. Before no one was playing it but I asked the members if it was possible. Now I loan out all of my decks and I have gotten all of the modern players interested in building their own. They understand the uphill battle but I am more than willing to lend them decks and cards until they can get there. Several of them have started buying Forces and duals.

Also as a father of two who doesn't have too much spare time for MTG, I relish the opportunities I can play. Perhaps it would make sense to sell my collection and spend that time drafting instead. However, I look forward to the day in which I can teach my children how to play with the cards I have carefully collected over the years. Maybe they won't be interested but it's worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
At least in Seattle, we've had a stream of Modern players join Legacy. This might be because there's a weekly Modern tournament held on the same night as a Legacy tournament, so people can walk around the room and see both formats in action. Also, a good number of people here play both formats and simply switch between the two based on their weekly preference. I met someone last night who plays mostly limited, and even he said he plays both Legacy and Modern. He simply plays decks he can port between the two formats.

I think the money argument is overstated. Beyond borrowing and sharing cards between formats, there are budget versions of almost everything. I saw someone playing Glacial Fortress a few nights ago instead of a fourth Tundra. He could have sat out Legacy until his deck was considered ideal, but why do that? The difference between three Tundras and four Tundras is much smaller than people make it out to be, and his list was arguably superior because it's better against Choke, which has been seen a lot here.

Most people can't jump into a new format immediately, but once the desire is there, they'll get there eventually. Not everyone needs Underground Seas and Tabernacles to play, and not everyone wants them.
Different locations make for different experiences. It's not all bad.