The correct answer to all these questions is "It depends" (2p2 rep). Depends on your build and manabase and on their build and manabase. It depends on their sideboard plan and on history.

My perspective: I play the no discard in the main list. Discard is deceptive. When you are behind on board it is terrible, and shardless often plays from behind in the early turns. Legacy's power level is so high and there are so many cantrips that spending your turn and cards to attack their hand can be counterproductive. I'm not saying it can't be good, but that on balance I like to leave it in the board. I also prefer to leave in force of will in some number in most matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeff View Post
So I've finally settled on a list I'm pretty comfortable with but I'm having some issues working out how to sideboard. I realize some of these might be noob questions, but I'm new to legacy (only have about a year of exp) and am a total noob with this deck (only played about 20 games with it). I also realize that every situation and sideboard choice can be different depending on deck "quirks" and the way an opponent is playing/sideboarding, I'm just looking for some broad-strokes advice on these questions moving forward until I get enough exp to know exact numbers/situations. Thanks in advance!

  1. When do you add extra SB discard? Only against combo?
    All of it comes in vs combo in my list. I board in usually a small number of thoughtseize vs miracles to snipe REB or top on the play. I keep in all force of wills to hard counter entreat (and occasionally jace). Do not counter terminus unless it wins the game. I don't force top blind. This is controversial. I also bring in a couple vs stoneforge decks.
  2. Are there decks where Hymn is better than Thoughtseize, and vice-versa?
    Yes but I don't play Hymn. I've been running meddling mage to good success. Hymn is one of my favorite cards but I don't like the variance and the BB mana cost. Be wary of misdirection out of losset miracles, but I don't like it much vs miracles anyways.
  3. Do you take out Jace against decks like ANT, RUG Delver?
    Yes. I leave in vs BUG delver, especially if they have tombstalker.
  4. Do you take out Lili against Elves and D&T?
    No. I leave them in as expensive 3 mana edicts. I find lilly to be fine to good vs DNT. Just be wary of wilt leaf liege. It is only a 2 of and you can check for it with thoughtseize. Ironically, lilliana is one of the few ways most lists have to actually kill a 4 mana 4/4 outside of tarmogoyf combat. One easy way to close out games vs these decks is to deluge into lilly.
  5. Do you keep FoW in against any non-combo decks? (RUG Delver or Miracles)
    Yes. Yes.
  6. When do you take out the Shardless/Visions package? Any times where it's only Visions or only Shardless?
    I never board out Shardless. I think elves is the only matchup I have boarded out all the visions before. Vs combo I'm boarding out 4 decay 2 deluge sylvan sylvan a land a jace etc to bring in the meddling mage package and spot discard[/B]
  7. If you must have them, Flusterstorm or Spell Pierce? If not, what do you add? Extra Lili?
    Spell pierce>flusterstorm in today's meta. I don't see much storm and hitting sneak attack is huge. That said, I don't rock either.
I should