Page 314 of 332 FirstFirst ... 214264304310311312313314315316317318324 ... LastLast
Results 6,261 to 6,280 of 6623

Thread: 4 Card Blind

Re: 4 Card Blind

ROUND 6: The T1 Round

Me: 9. silkster: Blinkmoth Nexus, Mox Sapphire, Mox Ruby, Wheel of Fortune

1. Asthereal (TO): Blinkmoth Mexus, Mox Sapphire, Sea's Claim, Thorn of Amethyst WL
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Mox Ruby, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens WL
    3. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage, Dark Ritual, Dread Fugue WW
    4. dte: Collective Defiance, Mox Ruby, Mox Ruby, Hellion Crucible WL
    5. Phasmoid: Peat Bog, Hymn to Tourach, Remote Farm, Serra the Benevolent WW
    6. FTW: Mox Sapphire, Sunken Ruins, Hymn to Tourach, Ensoul Artifact WL
    7. alphastryk: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival WW
    8. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Mox Ruby, Ranger Class, Sorcerous Spyglass WL
    10. maxx!: Blinkmoth Nexus, Sol Ring, Mox Ruby, Wheel of Fortune WL (great minds!)

12W, 8L 6L.

This round is pretty much what I expected. For about five seasons now, I've actively tried to avoid what I thought was the "obvious" best deck, but there was no fighting it this time. I had a few ideas for how to fight against this, but those decks kept losing to just Blinkmoth Nexus + land/mox. You can see that I split my Moxen in the hopes of getting more of them banned, though it looks like both of them would have been banned anyway. I'm also impressed that Dark Ritual and Sol Ring are both on the chopping block. I was not expecting that. My proposed initial banlist included the unrestricted 1-mana discard spells to avoid having too many rounds like this. That and the 3.0 cutoff together mean that we probably won't have another round of WL like this one.
    Last edited by silkster; 05-11-2022 at 08:56 PM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    ROUND 6: The T1 Round

This round is pretty much what I expected. For about five seasons now, I've actively tried to avoid what I thought was the "obvious" best deck, but there was no fighting it this time. I had a few ideas for how to fight against this, but those decks kept losing to just Blinkmoth Nexus + land/mox. You can see that I split my Moxen in the hopes of getting more of them banned, though it looks like both of them would have been banned anyway.
    I tried to hedge by playing Hymn + 5/5 instead, so it still WL vs T1 decks but hoping any dedicated hate decks couldn't also beat a 5/5. I also feared both Moxes would get banned so it was now or never. In the end it didn't matter. Lots of turn 1. At least these cards get banned quickly to refresh the format. No 8 rounds of metagaming around Goblin combo either.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    I tried to hedge by playing Hymn + 5/5 instead, so it still WL vs T1 decks but hoping any dedicated hate decks couldn't also beat a 5/5. I also feared both Moxes would get banned so it was now or never. In the end it didn't matter. Lots of turn 1. At least these cards get banned quickly to refresh the format. No 8 rounds of metagaming around Goblin combo either.
    I spent a long time trying to play around the T1 discard decks, so I worried that playing Hymn or the like would run into something like Misdirection. I didn't have a 2-mana 5/5 in my list though, so I didn't appreciate that it could cover some of those edge cases. In the end, it seems to have mattered very little. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the Peasant Season, I was really excited for a Soldevi Digger brew, but I waited too long and all the Masques depletion lands got banned before I pulled the trigger. I missed one chance where it would have scored 5+ round points, but I was right not to play it after that into the impending onslaught of Strip Mines and Ghost Quarters.

Indeed, the turnover is nice. With Moxen, Dark Ritual, and Sol Ring all gone, next round almost feels like a new season. Looks like the turnover will be:

Blinkmoth Nexus
    Collective Defiance
    Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
    Dark Ritual
    Dread Fugue
    Empty the Warrens
    Ensoul Artifact
    Hellion Crucible
    Hymn to Tourach
    Mox Ruby
    Mox Sapphire
    Rite of Flame
    Sea's Claim
    Sol Ring
    Sunken Ruins
    Thorn of Amethyst
    Wheel of Fortune
    Last edited by silkster; 05-11-2022 at 08:56 PM.

Feb 2014

Funnily enough, here was the round in which metronome could have made close to a full sweep.

I am very happy that almost all of the "too good" acceleration got banned at once. And thorn as well!

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Funnily enough, here was the round in which metronome could have made close to a full sweep.

I am very happy that almost all of the "too good" acceleration got banned at once. And thorn as well!
    I don't know what you're pairing with Metrognome (and you can save your tech), but my Metrognome decks would have done quite badly this round. I think too many of them allowed my opponents to just not play their discard and beat me with the rest of their cards. Like, I'm losing to most of Thorn of Amethyst + Sea's Claim, 8 Goblins, Hellion Crucible, T1 5/5, Barren Glory, and a 2/2 that grows every turn.

Feb 2014

I don't know what you're pairing with Metrognome (and you can save your tech), but my Metrognome decks would have done quite badly this round. I think too many of them allowed my opponents to just not play their discard and beat me with the rest of their cards. Like, I'm losing to most of Thorn of Amethyst + Sea's Claim, 8 Goblins, Hellion Crucible, T1 5/5, Barren Glory, and a 2/2 that grows every turn.
    No need to save tech, I highly doubt metrognome would be relevant again. I had 2 storelands and Gideon of the trials, would have 6-0 everything but the gobs and the class. And I am sure there could have been better things to run than Gideon.

Edit : actually no, it would also have lost to Serra.

Edit2: Asthereal's deck will also be banned, so thorn and sea claim should join the list.

12W, 8L.
    Your wins and losses should add to 18...

Also I think dread fugue is sufficiently worse than Inquisition and blackmail that it is was worth seeing if it was ok.

Edit2: Asthereal's deck will also be banned, so thorn and sea claim should join the list.
    I hadn't done the math and was just making a minimum list, but on inspection it looks pretty straightforward. Seven others said they went WL and I trust those, then Sea's Claim beats the Peat Bog and Thorn beats Barren Glory. Thanks!

me: ​ ​ ​ Peat Bog ​ , ​ Hymn to Tourach ​ , ​ Remote Farm ​ , ​ Serra the Benevolent

1. Asthereal (TO): Blinkmoth Mexus, Mox Sapphire, Sea's Claim, Thorn of Amethyst ​ LL 0-6

The Sea Claims my Bog, and then I lose to the Blinkmoth.
    (Though technically, there is no "Blinkmoth Mexus". ​ If that gets replaced
    with a basic land, then you have no threats, but still draw against me.)

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Mox Ruby, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens ​ LL 0-6

Goblins smash

3. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Davriel, rogue shadowmage, Dark Ritual, Dread Fugue ​ LL 0-6

when I am OTD:
    You cast T1 Davriel and T2 Dread Fugue. ​ Those combine fo
    3 discards total, so I can't cast Serra and will lose to Davriel.

when I am OTP:
    By the above, I must play a land on T1. ​ You cast T1 Davriel, making me discard a card.
    The most I can do on my T2 is Hymn. ​ On your T2, Davriel makes
    me discard again, so I can't cast Serra and will lose to Davriel.

4. dte: Collective defiance, Mox ruby, Mox ruby, Hellion crucible ​ LL 0-6

Hellion smash

5. Phasmoid: Peat Bog, Hymn to Tourach, Remote Farm, Serra the Benevolent

This is me.

6. FTW: Mox Sapphire, Sunken Ruins, Hymn to Tourach, Ensoul Artifact ​ LL 0-6

You cast Ensoul Artifact on T1, and I am too slow.

7. alphastryk: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival ​ WW 6-0

T2 Hymn locks you out, and then Serra wins for me.

8. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Mox Ruby, Ranger Class, Sorcerous Spyglass ​ DL 1-4

when I am OTD:
    On T1, you cast Ranger Class. ​ On T2, you cast Spyglass,
    naming Serra. ​ That locks me out, so I lose to your Wolf.

when I am OTP:
    T1 Spyglass naming Serra means I don't win. ​ On T1, I play Peat Bog.
    You need both Forest Forest and Ruby to do anything, and can't cast both of your
    other cards before I cast Hymn, so your only try for a win here is T1 Ranger Class.
    That creates a Wolf, and on my T2 Hymn takes Spyglass. ​ On your T2 you level it up and
    attack me for 3. ​ On my T3, I cast Serra and create an Angel. ​ My Angel holds off your
    Wolf forever (since it can't +1/+1 again without attacking), so Serra makes more Angels,
    which would win for me. ​ Thus, instead of that, you draw with T1 Spyglass.

9. silkster: Blinkmoth Nexus, Mox Sapphire, Mox Ruby, Wheel of Fortune ​ LL 0-6

Blinkmoth smash

10. maxx!: Blinkmoth Nexus, Sol Ring, Mox Ruby, Wheel of Fortune ​ LL 0-6

Blinkmoth smash

8 LL ​ + ​ 1 DL ​ + ​ 1 WW ​ ​ ​ = ​ ​ ​ 7 points

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round we ran out of proper interaction so now we all go T1 explode:

1. Asthereal (TO): Blinkmoth Mexus, Mox Sapphire, Sea's Claim, Thorn of Amethyst <-me
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: Mox Ruby, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens WL
    3. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Davriel, rogue shadowmage, Dark Ritual, Dread Fugue WL
    4. dte: Collective defiance, Mox ruby, Mox ruby, Hellion crucible WL
    5. Phasmoid: Peat Bog, Hymn to Tourach, Remote Farm, Serra the Benevolent WW
    6. FTW: Mox Sapphire, Sunken Ruins, Hymn to Tourach, Ensoul Artifact WL
    7. alphastryk: Lotus Bloom, Lotus Bloom, Barren Glory, Noxious Revival WW
    8. RoosterCocoa: Forest, Mox Ruby, Ranger Class, Sorcerous Spyglass WL
    9. silkster: Blinkmoth Nexus, Mox Sapphire, Mox Ruby, Wheel of Fortune WL
    10. maxx!: Blinkmoth Nexus, Sol Ring, Mox Ruby, Wheel of Fortune WL

Total: 33 points
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Anyway, easy round so smooth round. Here's standings:
    1. GoblinSmashmaster: 36 - 4
    1. FTW: 36 - 4
    1. silkster: 36 - 4
    1. maxx!: 36 - 4
    5. dte: 34 - 3,8
    6. Asthereal (TO): 33 - 3,7
    7. Reeplcheep: 27 - 3
    8. RoosterCocoa: 17 - 1,9
    9. Phasmoid: 7 - 0,8
    10. alphastryk: 6 - 0,7

Which leads to these bannings:
    Blinkmoth Nexus
    Collective defiance
    Dark Ritual
    Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
    Dread Fugue
    Empty the Warrens
    Ensoul Artifact
    Hellion Crucible
    Hymn to Tourach
    Mox Ruby
    Mox Sapphire
    Rite of Flame
    Sea's Claim
    Sol Ring
    Sunken Ruins
    Thorn of Amethyst
    Wheel of Fortune

And the season standings look like this now:
    1. dte: 23,4
    2. silkster: 22,5
    3. maxx!: 20,1
    4. RoosterCocoa: 18,9
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: 18,6
    6. FTW: 18,5
    7. Asthereal (TO): 16,5
    8. Reeplcheep: 14
    9. Phasmoid: 13,6
    10. alphastryk: 12,5
    11. Nasst: 6,1

So dte is still up top, with silk in pursuit.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-13-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

ROUND 7 OF SEASON 12: VINTAGE CREATURELESS BANNATHON has started.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 7, so you can start sending me your decks.

DEADLINE: Wednesday the 18th of May at 11:00AM Central European Time.
    (That's my time zone. Pacific Time it'll probably be something like Tuesday night a bit past midnight, so keep that in mind.)

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows: Mountain, Plains, Forest, Shivan Gorge.
    So with card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S12R07 in the topic.
    Don't forget to keep an eye on the banned list. You'll find it in the second post of the thread, or in our Google Spreadsheet.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deckbuilding!

Blinkmoth Mexus ​ is now banned, but what about ​ ​ ​ Blinkmoth Nexus ​ ? ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ :-)

Feb 2014

If someone fancy a challenge: I had a deck that would have scored better for me than the one I played last round (if played instead of mine), that goldfishes on T191 and plays no interaction (no disruption, no removal).

Anyone can find it, or an even slower deck?

Sep 2011

If someone fancy a challenge: I had a deck that would have scored better for me than the one I played last round (if played instead of mine), that goldfishes on T191 and plays no interaction (no disruption, no removal).

Anyone can find it, or an even slower deck?
    I have a deck that wins even slower, but it has interaction. I'm very curious about this deck with no interaction that would have scored better (I assume must either be able to play everything out on turn 1 or has Metrognome without mana to cast).

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I am curious about these fabled four as well. But they might be playable yet, so perhaps dte is holding them back.

Anyway, by the looks of things we are complete at the deadline, but I have one question out via PM, just in case.
    So I'll wait for an answer on that one before posting decks. But I expect that won't be long, so stay tuned.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I am curious about these fabled four as well. But they might be playable yet, so perhaps dte is holding them back.
    I'll post them with my deck ;)
    On my end, could not fathom at all FTW's or even any way to be slower than T191 without doing it on purpose / being worse than a faster version.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

The question has been answered to my satisfaction, so let's go.

DECKS FOR ROUND 7 OF SEASON 12: Vintage Creatureless Bannathon

1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Mental Misstep
    2. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Golgari Rot Farm, Ranger Class, Raven’s Crime
    3. dte: Mana vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust bowl
    4. Phasmoid: Sunscorched Desert, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Izzet Boilerworks, Reality Acid
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Lotus Petal, Culling the Weak, Vraska, Swarm's Eminence
    6. FTW: Bottomless Vault, Unmask, The Eldest Reborn, Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
    7. alphastryk: Mental Misstep, Botanical Sanctum, Wind Zendikon, Lush Growth
    8. RoosterCocoa: Tolarian Academy, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Court of Grace
    9. maxx!: Sheltered Valley, Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Garruk Relentless
    10. silkster: Hickory Woodlot, Island, Rhonas's Last Stand, Stubborn Denial

Please post your scores and cross-check with the opponents.
    I'll create a tab for the round in our Google Spreadsheet, so you can enter your scores there as well: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Mental Misstep
    If you ever play out Rot Farm, I Lush Growth it which stops Village and Trophy, and I can Misstep your Misstep to make sure Lush Growth or Wind Zendikon resolves. WW

6-0

2. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Golgari Rot Farm, Ranger Class, Raven’s Crime
    EDIT: I Misstep your Crime, but even with Lush Growth, I can't stop Ranger class from coming down on your turn 3, and making a 3/3 that can attack on your turn 4, and racing my Zendikon. LL

0-6

3. dte: Mana vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust bowl
    Misstep beats Mana Vault. WW

6-0

4. Phasmoid: Sunscorched Desert, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Izzet Boilerworks, Reality Acid
    Misstep beats Stylus and Lush Growth can hit Boilerworks to prevent Acid. WW

6-0

5. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Lotus Petal, Culling the Weak, Vraska, Swarm's Eminence
    Misstep beats Culling the Weak. WW

6-0

6. FTW: Bottomless Vault, Unmask, The Eldest Reborn, Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
    Misstep is a blank and Unmask takes away Lush Growth. Wind Zendikon is too slow to race your haymakers. LL

0-6

7. alphastryk: Mental Misstep, Botanical Sanctum, Wind Zendikon, Lush Growth
    me

8. RoosterCocoa: Tolarian Academy, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Court of Grace
    Misstep is a blank and you don't care about Lush Growth either. LL

0-6

9. maxx!: Sheltered Valley, Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Garruk Relentless
    Misstep beats Mana Vault. WW

6-0

10. silkster: Hickory Woodlot, Island, Rhonas's Last Stand, Stubborn Denial
    Lush Growth stops Woodlot from ever casting Last Stand, and Misstep means you can't protect it (or stop Zendikon) with Denial. WW

6-0

Total: 36 points

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round hey we forgot about an interaction spell that might be relevant, so let's just try that.

1. Asthereal (TO): Golgari Rot Farm, Treetop Village, Assassin's Trophy, Mental Misstep <-me
    2. Reeplcheep: Swamp, Golgari Rot Farm, Ranger Class, Raven’s Crime DL
    EDIT: Removed math below as I missed an idea. You float black mana on T2 before bouncing Swamp, so you get to Crime twice. OTP I can discard Village and destroy your land for theb draw. OTD you get all you want.
    3. dte: Mana vault, Karn, Scion of Urza, Manifold Key, Dust bowl WW
    Misstep the Mana Vault and you can't do anything anymore.
    4. Phasmoid: Sunscorched Desert, Tel-Jilad Stylus, Izzet Boilerworks, Reality Acid WD
    Misstep the Stylus and OTP I have enough time to destroy your land before you Acid one of my lands.
    5. GoblinSmashmaster: Khalni Garden, Lotus Petal, Culling the Weak, Vraska, Swarm's Eminence WW
    Misstep the Culling and you can't do anything anymore.
    6. FTW: Bottomless Vault, Unmask, The Eldest Reborn, Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath LL
    That's a good interaction spell too. Misstep does nothing, you Unmask my Trophy and Ob Nixilis easily races my Village.
    7. alphastryk: Mental Misstep, Botanical Sanctum, Wind Zendikon, Lush Growth LL
    Ah, you didn't forget about Misstep. Your Misstep missteps my Misstep, your Growth makes my Farm look silly and now my Village can't be activated and I can't cast Trophy, so you have free reign to kill me with whatever wincon.
    8. RoosterCocoa: Tolarian Academy, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Court of Grace LL
    Misstep can't touch your stuff. EDIT: I thought you made 4 guys, but you make a 4/4 guy instead. Can't beat that.
    9. maxx!: Sheltered Valley, Mana Vault, Lotus Petal, Garruk Relentless WW
    Misstep the Vault and you can't do anything anymore.
    10. silkster: Hickory Woodlot, Island, Rhonas's Last Stand, Stubborn Denial WW
    Misstep defends against your Denial, Trophy kills the 5/4 and Village wins the day.

Total: 29 points.
    Last edited by Asthereal; 05-18-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Thread Information