View Poll Results: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously than post of "normal" members?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes/Often

    43 28.48%
  • No/Rarely

    56 37.09%
  • Sometimes

    52 34.44%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 86

Thread: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

  1. #1

    Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    PR claims we need "proof" for what is in my opinion a pretty obvious conclusion, so please answer the poll.

  2. #2
    Get Money, Ghost
    Whit3 Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Location

    Albany
    Posts

    926

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    That was def not there when I posted.

    EEEEEEDIT
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

  3. #3

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Yeah the poll is up now guys, it takes about 30 seconds to set it up after submitting a new thread.

  4. #4
    Get Money, Ghost
    Whit3 Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Location

    Albany
    Posts

    926

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    I trust adepts in certain scenarios. I trust Bryant on the subject of TES and Dave on the subject of ITF and such. However, if an adept was trashing on Doomsday or Fetch Tendrils, I might be more inclined to take Emidln's word over theirs. I also happen to know most of the adepts personally so that might affect my bias more than them actually being adepts. As for the state of the format, because I know for a fact that adepts play in a ton of tournaments, I'd like to think that they have a handle on what's going on.

    Edit- I also take the results of people who have done well in the format more seriously, adept or not.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

  5. #5
    */*
    Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2004
    Location

    Syracuse, NY
    Posts

    207,137

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    I have difinitive proof that my opinion is not taken seriously:

    People still play Dreadstill.

  6. #6
    The King of Lockjobs
    Peter_Rotten's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2003
    Location

    Middle of Nowhere, NY
    Posts

    1,214

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    People still play Dreadstill.
    Holy shit! We have totally forgot about this. That deck is reviled by the Adepts. I think that I might be the only non-member to take it seriously! No, they really hate that deck.

    I voted sometimes for essentially the reasons WhiteGhost cited. Which, I think, isn't really useful for the poll. It is essentially a qualified "no." Oops. My vote should have been a "no" but I'm not going to mess with it to try to preserve whatever intergrity this poll has.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

  7. #7

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    I included "sometimes" because in the other thread I heard a few express that sometimes if time is a concern or it is a certain deck/subject they listen to people in different ways. I dont think it really damages the poll unless it makes people unwilling to say "yes" or "no" out of indecisiveness, but whatever.

    T.T

  8. #8
    Please read my signature.

    Join Date

    Jul 2004
    Posts

    1,515

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Generally, I don't care. I read everything. Nobody is on my ignore list. I weigh each as I read them.

    However, as I read and analyze, there are people that I just do not trust. For example, I will never trust Landstill_101 about anything relating to It's the Fear. Actually, probably most Magic Theory/Strategy in general.

    However, the same applies to Jack Elgin. I fucking hate that guy. I refuse to talk Magic Theory/Strategy with him and will pointedly ignore him when he tries.

    The list goes on, but I always read and judge by the merits of the post. I don't give a damn if you just won a tournament with it, I will tell you that I still don't agree with cards in your deck.

    For example, Tosh (who Top 2'd the Vancouver tournament) played a build of It's the Fear that I was vehemently against. I told him so. I did congratulate him on his success, but I let him know that there were cards in his deck that I didn't think were optimal (Wasteland comes to mind).

    There. See. People do actually read the posts of members and take them seriously. People also ignore Adepts.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

    Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

  9. #9
    Loves the anus
    Jaiminho's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil
    Posts

    544

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost View Post
    I trust adepts in certain scenarios. I trust Bryant on the subject of TES and Dave on the subject of ITF and such. However, if an adept was trashing on Doomsday or Fetch Tendrils, I might be more inclined to take Emidln's word over theirs.
    For each deck, there is a handful of people that can be truted on their words much more than the rest, but it doesn't mean that they aren't saying a bunch of crap on the rest of the threads. I usually will take Emidln's word over any adept on FT because barely only a few people give a crap about the deck.

    Summarizing, I try to know who are the "authorities" of each decks I'm interested in.
    Keep moon-walking.

  10. #10
    Leroy Rochester
    Getsickanddie's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2004
    Location

    Cabrini–Green
    Posts

    1,576

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    This poll seems poorly constructed. For example, couldn't often and rarely be construed as being the same as sometimes? Every vote cast could be a sometimes vote.
    My only dream is that yours never come true.
    "People played violin as the Titanic sank. Tomorrow they will play Green Day songs with plastic keytars as their Hoovervilles burn."

  11. #11
    I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Nihil Credo's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E
    Posts

    4,702

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Holy shit! We have totally forgot about this. That deck is reviled by the Adepts. I think that I might be the only non-member to take it seriously! No, they really hate that deck.
    Count me for two. Which reminds me, I still have to post that Dreadstill apologia in the Q&A forum. It's been sitting half-written in a .txt file on my desktop for days now, the forum will probably get abolished before I finish it.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

  12. #12
    (' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    TheInfamousBearAssassin's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2004
    Location

    Northern Virginia
    Posts

    6,709

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    However, the same applies to Jack Elgin. I fucking hate that guy. I refuse to talk Magic Theory/Strategy with him and will pointedly ignore him when he tries.
    My good friend David here raises a very excellent point with his ironically sardonic comment. Some people, such as myself, are simply worth listening to more than others, not because we're Adepts, but because of the qualities that led to us being selected as Adepts. This doesn't prove anything about the Adept system one way or another; no matter how flawed the selection process, if there's even a nominal effort to select the best posters/strategists, a random Adept should be more worthwhile to listen to than a random regular user.

    It's confusing cause and effect. Like, the great city of Boston and the cream pie for which it's named.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

  13. #13
    Member
    raharu's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2007
    Location

    Scrubington
    Posts

    1,072

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    lolJack.

    I voted sometimes because, well, it's a matter of who's speaking. If an adept is in a thread I'll generally be more inclined to listen to their advice, but there are other users that I'll immediately be more inclined to listen to (DIF, Adan, Volt, monkey, Whit3 Ghost, edlmin in regards to combo, Isamaru, etc.), even over a number of the adepts. It's simply a matter of who is talking, but again, if you were to grab a random user and an Adept at random, I would prolly listen to the Adept over the normal user. To me, being an Adept is an indicator of general brightness in the area of Magic Theory, but having that status doesn't really mean it's true, it's just more likely. Indicators do occasionally fail.
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

    If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

  14. #14
    Please read my signature.

    Join Date

    Jul 2004
    Posts

    1,515

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    My good friend David here raises a very excellent point with his ironically sardonic comment. Some people, such as myself, are simply worth listening to more than others, not because we're Adepts, but because of the qualities that led to us being selected as Adepts. This doesn't prove anything about the Adept system one way or another; no matter how flawed the selection process, if there's even a nominal effort to select the best posters/strategists, a random Adept should be more worthwhile to listen to than a random regular user.

    It's confusing cause and effect. Like, the great city of Boston and the cream pie for which it's named.
    Have you died yet? That resurrection cookie is close to getting stale. You don't want stale resurrection cookies. So, hurry it up before it's stale. Seriously, get with the dying.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

    Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

  15. #15
    Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Wallace's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2007
    Location

    East Syracuse, NY
    Posts

    1,234

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    I don't see how this is going to prove anything?
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

    Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

  16. #16
    Serious Rider
    Pinder's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Posts

    4,962

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Nope. I read every post in every thread, for the most part. And when I'm skimming, I skim everything, not just regular members.

    I mostly pay more attention to the well-known posters on the site, be they Adept or not, because they've demonstrated a habit of consistently good posts. Some (but not necessarily an exhaustive list of) members which are not Adepts, but whom I generally pay attention to:

    • Ebinsugewa
    • emidln
    • scrumdogg (maybe because he still owes me a beer, though)
    • Volt
    • AngryTroll
    • Whit3_Ghost
    • A Legend
    • etc., etc., you get the idea.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

  17. #17
    Please read my signature.

    Join Date

    Jul 2004
    Posts

    1,515

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    HEY! WHAT THE HELL!

    I should totally be on that list.


    Also, EBINSUGEWA!!!

    That name is so fucking awesome.

    EDIT: Oh, I get it, those are NON - Adepts you listen to. Fair enough. Still not retracting my statement. I should be on that list regardless. :)
    Last edited by Deep6er; 08-27-2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Oh, derf.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

    Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

  18. #18
    (' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    TheInfamousBearAssassin's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2004
    Location

    Northern Virginia
    Posts

    6,709

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    HEY! WHAT THE HELL!

    I should totally be on that list.


    Also, EBINSUGEWA!!!

    That name is so fucking awesome.

    EDIT: Oh, I get it, those are NON - Adepts you listen to. Fair enough. Still not retracting my statement. I should be on that list regardless. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Some (but not necessarily an exhaustive list of) members which are not Adepts, but whom I generally pay attention to:

    Chillax, friend-David.

    Also, I'm on a diet. But I'm told that baking cookies and other pastries is a sign of deep and binding friendship for those you love. Thank you, friend!

    Although that should be whom are not Adepts, as it's not the list's status as a Legacy Adept or not that is in question.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

  19. #19
    Please read my signature.

    Join Date

    Jul 2004
    Posts

    1,515

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    ... God. I fucking hate you. How about this, you die and then I'll laugh and point at you. Then, I'll find some necrophiliac to sodomize you when you're dead. How about that? Goddamn it. I fucking hate you so goddamn much.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

    Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

  20. #20
    (' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    TheInfamousBearAssassin's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2004
    Location

    Northern Virginia
    Posts

    6,709

    Re: Do you take Adepts' posts more seriously?

    I'm not sure if follow the point of your sadonicism, good chum.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)