Thread: [Article] Unlocking Legacy - Elf Survival

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

[Article] Unlocking Legacy - Elf Survival

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l..._Survival.html

Who's that dashing figure writing articles again?

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Re: [Article] Unlocking Legacy - Elf Survival

Nice approach on Survival. What were Di's match-ups?
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

RawR Bitch
    Sep 2007
    Norwich, CT

I was hoping to read about match up results for the survival build not tes.
    Co-Founder of Team Awesome - I heard Randy Buehler say a while back that good players give themselves the most number of turns to find the answer.
    The Source on MTGO - Predator8785 and RockOut
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Women come and go, turn one protection is forever.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by rockout View Post
    I was hoping to read about match up results for the survival build not tes.
    I'm more than willing to give them to you, as soon as I play the deck in a tournament. I was hoping to write the article on how I beat the hell out of the tournament with TES, but sometimes a plan doesn't come together.

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

I wasn't interested in the TES report, so I didn't actually read that, but I thought it was a really nice article regarding the TEES part.
    Keep moon-walking.

Bryant Cook

<- Name dropped. Sorry man, bad beats happen. Nice article discussing two of our team's decks, you're one hell of a spokesman. ;-p

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I thought it was pretty good.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

I probably should have mentioned it in the article, but you can read Di's report here.

It's obvious you have a hard-on for your team's decks, and understandably so.

Still I'd like to see more from the section on the Elf deck more than just, you know, you reading the decklist to me and gushing as you look at each card. I feel like there's no analysis in the article that isn't readily apparent from just reading the decklist. Something like "Why no Glimpse" or "These are the Conflux cards that make it better" or "This is how I don't flat-out lose to Counterbalance/Top on turn 2". Otherwise I'm sort of left thinking "Oh ho hum, another deck that beats some decks with Islands and creatures but loses to combo decks" (the history of Legacy is probably the history of our board control decks).
    For example, you say, "The combo matchup is bad, so we sideboard X, Y and Z." Okay, for what replacements? How good does that make the post-board matchup? Is it merely difficult or actually unwinnable.
    ESG is a hotly contested card; what other cards were considered? What about Gaea's Cradle?

Edit: If you need an Elf to kill Counterbalance it's Elf Replica.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    It's obvious you have a hard-on for your team's decks, and understandably so.

Still I'd like to see more from the section on the Elf deck more than just, you know, you reading the decklist to me and gushing as you look at each card. I feel like there's no analysis in the article that isn't readily apparent from just reading the decklist. Something like "Why no Glimpse" or "These are the Conflux cards that make it better" or "This is how I don't flat-out lose to Counterbalance/Top on turn 2". Otherwise I'm sort of left thinking "Oh ho hum, another deck that beats some decks with Islands and creatures but loses to combo decks" (the history of Legacy is probably the history of our board control decks).
    For example, you say, "The combo matchup is bad, so we sideboard X, Y and Z." Okay, for what replacements? How good does that make the post-board matchup? Is it merely difficult or actually unwinnable.
    ESG is a hotly contested card; what other cards were considered? What about Gaea's Cradle?

This is fair critique. I'll be playing with the deck a bit more leading up to Chicago, so perhaps I'll go much more in-depth in my next article.

By the way, it's strange for me to be writing about, let alone playing, a deck that uses the attack step every turn.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

The analysis on Elf Survival (have we thought of a better name for that yet?) was just fine, in my opinion, but the whole beginning about TES just seemed out of place. It's fine that you planned to write about smashing face with TES, but when that didn't happen, I think it would probably have been a better idea just to skip the TES section altogether. It felt like I was reading two seperate and really short articles, the first of which wasn't really necessary.

That said, I've always enjoyed the way you write, so even the useless parts weren't arduous to read, at least.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    Viridian Shaman???
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by raharu View Post
    Viridian Shaman???
    Kills artifacts???

You were probably thinking Zealot. But Zealot costs 2, and therefore has about a 99/100 chance of getting countered by CB, especially with Top.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

Viridian Shaman
    2G
    Creature - Elf
    2/2

When Viridian Shaman comes into play, destroy target artifact.

Also, the deck that you propose can only beat combo game 1 if the combo player's retarded or you win yourself on turn 3 on the play against a slow combo draw. With the slowly increasing combo presence, how much longer will this deck be really playable?

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Colin Chilbert - 1
    David Gearheart - 0

Anyway, you should've told me you were going to write the article on this, I could've helped.

Also, the deck that you propose can only beat combo game 1 if the combo player's retarded or you win yourself on turn 3 on the play against a slow combo draw. With the slowly increasing combo presence, how much longer will this deck be really playable?
    Can't you put in that same argument for every other non-Island deck? There aren't really any decks without Force of Will that can reliably beat the storm decks, so that could be said for a lot of decks (but won't bring me to end up choosing between storm v. force of will deck). I admit the deck punts it hard to combo, that can't be denied. I personally don't know what to do to really give me an edge to the point where it's probably better off just focusing on other matchups. Honestly, through testing and tournament experience, storm is the only matchup I'm not comfortable in (ok Landstill can be bothersome, and Ichorid too, but meh, it's numbers are really down). That just gives this deck the option of either stockpiling on combo hate even more, or improving on already favorable matchups that take up the rest of the metagame.

Also, I beat Bryant game 1 of the top8 with a turn 4 combo on my part, but that was also due to him getting bad draws.

Banned

Feb 2008
    SF CA USA

I thought you said that you would write no more articles for SCG. What up this time? Chicago?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

He's filling in for Anwar who's busy with college.

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Damn, I was hoping on keeping this deck off the radar for at least a week, but I guess it can't be helped. It's not like anyone is going to know how to play against the deck anyway :)

Nice article Adam, I really miss your articles.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Atwa View Post
    Nice article Adam, I really miss you
    fixed

Thread Information