Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1534

Thread: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

  1. #1161
    Cabal Therapist
    Kuma's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2007
    Location

    Akron, OH
    Posts

    968

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    I've been thinking about Sigil of Distinction, and I'm going to try playing without it for a while. Most of the time when I play Trinket Mage, I'd rather have a Chalice, Needle, Crypt or even a Mox. I almost never keep it in post board, and there have only been one or two games where I've sided it out and wished I hadn't. Sigil is randomly awesome once in a while when you're mana flooded, but that's the only thing going for it.

    Don't get me wrong it's a solid card, but it's easily the weakest slot in the deck. If you disagree, I'd like to hear your argument along with what you consider the weakest slot in the deck.

    On a friend's suggestion I'm going to try -1 Mulldrifter -1 Sigil +2 Umezawa's Jitte to deal with Zoo, Burn, and the sometimes fatal Ancient Tomb damage. I'm not a huge fan of this change, but I'm 0-8 against Zoo and willing to try just about anything to avoid losing to it in the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

    Sure as hell sounds like fun.

  2. #1162

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    I'm thinking Submerge would be a very good fit into this deck's sideboard.

    Submerge is blue's Snuff Out. It buys massive tempo.

    Mystic Enforcer and Tombstalker can hurt this deck a lot. Goyf can be a pain, a fast Dreadnought is a big problem.

    With every other deck playing green for Goyf, Submerge answers all these cards. Even bouncing back manlands is very nice.
    Best of all, it's pretty much a removal spell for both Dreadnouth and Tombstalker and pretty much anything that hates bounce.

  3. #1163
    is selling his Underground Seas.
    Tacosnape's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2006
    Location

    Birmingham, AL
    Posts

    3,148

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Ignoring the mindmelting that is 5C Faerie Stompy, let's hit some of the other points.

    1. Arsenal's right. Stax isn't bad at all. Like one bit. Whoever wins the die roll in the match is going to be favored in the match, but you're more likely to steal the match losing the die roll than they are. Half of their stuff doesn't even affect you, you have Force for the few problem cards, and it's really awesome to do neat stuff like stealing a Magus of the Tabernacle with a Sower of Temptation and then kill it by not paying for it next turn.

    2. How on god's green earth are you 0-8 against Zoo when you're designed to Chalice at 1 and 2?

    3. While I agree that Submerge is pretty good and might just make my final sideboard list, how exactly does it help against Phyrexian Dreadnought? Are we hardcasting it or counting on Dreadstill to have green? It's also worth noting that on occasion this deck can have to play without an Island.

    Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

  4. #1164

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Most builds of Dreadstill do play green. I would assume that if you're playing one of the few builds still around that don't play Goyfs, you wouldn't side it in.

    But yes, I think paying even 4 mana to get rid of Dreadnought (permanently if they don't topdeck another Stifle) is worthwhile.

  5. #1165
    Cabal Therapist
    Kuma's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2007
    Location

    Akron, OH
    Posts

    968

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    2. How on god's green earth are you 0-8 against Zoo when you're designed to Chalice at 1 and 2?
    I'll admit there's a little bad luck and inexperience there, but it's not as simple as resolving a Chalice at one.

    5c Zoo, or at least the lists in my meta run Shattering Spree, Smash to Smithereens, and Krosan Grip. Lightning Helix is a huge tempo swing, and burn in general is bad news, as our only creature that can survive it unequipped is Serendib. Ancient Tomb damage on top of their beats and burn kills us way too fast.

    Chalice at one + Chalice at two is gg game one. However, the matchup goes to shit games two and three when the artifact hate comes in. Back to Basics works if you can catch them with their pants down, since they run zero basics, but that works better in theory than in practice.

    I've had some close ones, though. Round one, game three at the Meandeck Open I had Chalices at one and two plus a SoLS equipped Trinket Mage vs his four lands. He topdecks Shattering Spree, replicates three times, and burns me out next turn.

    About a week ago, I equipped a Serendib Efreet with a SoLS and a SoFI while the Zoo player was tapped out. I figured I had the game in the bag when I swung, but he Smashed the SoFI to Smithereens and Krosan Gripped the SoLS.

    Maybe Submerge would be good. I've been toying with the idea, and I've tried everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    How would Nitewolf have said this?... P_R went over the line. But it was about naming cats. Also, Anus Mittens is a good name for a cat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    "Casual sex, NO Touching/Licking/Sucking/Groping/Fondling/Riding/Tickling/Binding/Quitters/Italians. Play Fast, Be Polite, Have Fun."

    Sure as hell sounds like fun.

  6. #1166

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    If Zoo is problematic for you, I absoulte would be playing Submerge.

    This deck is sorely lacking in any instant speed response during the combat/attack step.

    I would also play Misdirection in the sideboard. Misdirecting their own Swords/Burn against their own creatures will win you tons of games.

  7. #1167
    ..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Humphrey's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2008
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    730

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Why not run better beaters/threats + Back to Basics instead of Magus of the Moon?
    I just replaced Trinket Mage with Magus of the Moon, also changed some Lands. 5C Lands like Gemstone Mine and Paradise have nice synergy with Sea Drake, also a higher Landcount (+Mox D) decrease mulligans. As I mentioned, Moon wins games on himself (5C Zoo ;)) and helps u keeping your Lands on the table.

    Well SB Options depending on the meta you have, and with 5C you got a lot more options.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

  8. #1168

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    You realize you can't play a single one of other your threats under a Magus right?

    You can try 5c Stompy if you want, but don't run Magus in it.

    If you want to play Blood Moon/Magus of the Moon, play Dragon Stompy, simple as that.

  9. #1169
    ..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Humphrey's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2008
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    730

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Well, just try it out.
    Its funny to see people argueing against this build, instead of just copying the list into mws and play few games.
    Sure I can play other threats, just need an Island or Mox.
    Im playing this version for a time now and it works very well. Magus has won me a lot of games and is the mainreason why I went 5C, in fact I cant compare to Trinkettoolbox.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

  10. #1170
    Journeyman
    Taurelin's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2007
    Location

    In the forest
    Posts

    202

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Sure I can play other threats, just need an Island or Mox.
    With only 6 Islands in the deck and no way to fetch them?


    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Well, just try it out.
    Its funny to see people argueing against this build, instead of just copying the list into mws and play few games.
    May I suggest a black splash for 4x Cosmic Horror? Just try it out, adapt the list in mws and play a few games.


    Don't. You needn't eat crap to know that it tastes crappy.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

  11. #1171
    ..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Humphrey's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2008
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    730

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    How old are you?
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

  12. #1172

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Fine, if every deck you play against plays 22 nonbasics, you absolutely should find a way to squeeze Magus of the Moon and Blood Moon into every single deck that you build and play including even the clearly monoblue decks.

    It's just that's not the case where 99% of people play. Most every deck is smart enough to play basics and fetch them out early on anytime precisely because of Wastelands and Moon effects. Only really really dumb manabases like Team America neglect to play out with basics.

    That's why completely crapping all over this decks manabase just to squeeze in Magus of the Moon seems bad to everyone that looks at your list. But hey, who knows, it might jsut work in your particular meta.

  13. #1173
    ..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Humphrey's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2008
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    730

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Its just you underate the postive synergy with your nonbasics. With the standardbuild I often got the problem, that i need to sacrifice on city for another or i lost to much life with Tomb. In my build, u dont need to sac ur gemstones or return ur paradise also.

    Also nobody think of Mooneffects in FS or with Force after a first turn countered Magus :D
    And yes in my meta, Magus is very very strong, lots of multicolor Landstill and Thresh. Also Plague in the SB helps a lot against Gobbo (and sometimes Elves)
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

  14. #1174
    Win or lose, it begins with...
    Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts

    2,184

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    Its just you underate the postive synergy with your nonbasics. With the standardbuild I often got the problem, that i need to sacrifice on city for another or i lost to much life with Tomb. In my build, u dont need to sac ur gemstones or return ur paradise also.

    Also nobody think of Mooneffects in FS or with Force after a first turn countered Magus :D
    And yes in my meta, Magus is very very strong, lots of multicolor Landstill and Thresh. Also Plague in the SB helps a lot against Gobbo (and sometimes Elves)
    If you're that in love with Magus of the Moon, why not play Dragon Stompy? Dragon Stompy is much better suited to abuse Moon effects and can run up to 8 of them. Faerie Stompy + Magus of Moon (plus other random non-blue stuff) makes as much sense as Dragon Stompy + Force of Will. Seriously.

  15. #1175
    ..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Humphrey's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2008
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    730

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    DS sucks. My idea to go 5C was to improve the bad matchups standard FS has. All im losing is the Toolbox.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

  16. #1176
    Win or lose, it begins with...
    Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts

    2,184

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    DS sucks. My idea to go 5C was to improve the bad matchups standard FS has. All im losing is the Toolbox.
    If your meta is nonbasic heavy (you claim lots of Thresh and Landstill), I don't understand how/why Dragon Stompy would suck. In fact, a nonbasic heavy meta is exactly the type of meta that Dragon Stompy should thrive in.

  17. #1177
    Winter is coming...
    Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2005
    Posts

    1,089

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    DS sucks. My idea to go 5C was to improve the bad matchups standard FS has. All im losing is the Toolbox.
    I see. So you know Faerie Stompy better than the people who created it and play it all the time, and you also know Dragon Stompy better than the people who created it and play it all the time, and then have the balls to defend the anti synergies of an obviously horrible build on the former with the phrase "go try it on MWS", which is basically slang for "stop listening to what I'm saying".

    Interesting.
    I've never seen him so upset....or ever before.

  18. #1178
    ..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Humphrey's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2008
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    730

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    well, im playing FS for a year and a half now and its my main deck, so yes i can say i know this deck. and maybe even it looks crazy on paper it plays very well.
    in fact, u play back2basics in the sb, which shutdown the nonbasics completly, so why is magus worse? u can still use ur lands and he can attack, but i think i dont have to mention that.

    also maybe i doesnt say it clear. ds might be a fine deck, but it sucks for me. played it a few times and i prefer fs much more.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

  19. #1179

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    To be fair, Dragon Stompy really could use some work to make it a little better. I have a perfectly good copy of the deck built and I hardly play it anymore because Dragon loses to both itself AND to random jank (as opposed to Fairie Stompy which only loses to itself but often eats random jank for breakfast).

    Regardless, the whole playing 5 color lands just to splash Magus of the Moon is a janky idea at best. Something fun and casual to try, but to suggest that it's better than the standard build is blasphemy.

  20. #1180
    Winter is coming...
    Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2005
    Posts

    1,089

    Re: [Deck] Faerie Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    in fact, u play back2basics in the sb, which shutdown the nonbasics completly, so why is magus worse? u can still use ur lands and he can attack, but i think i dont have to mention that.
    If you truly have played the deck for over a year how can you ask that question? Let's count the differences:

    - FS has 10-ish islands, 4 Chrome Mox, and Pestermite synergy to get around B2B. Your deck has 6 islands, 4 Mox Diamond (which are iffy to count on with a whopping 20 lands being run) and no synergy.
    - B2B is blue and can be pitched to FoW. Magus can't, which is awesome for a card that will often be useless.
    - B2B is a sideboard card and thus is only played against decks that it will screw over worse than ours. Magus...well...
    - To be fair, standard FS doesn't have the glorious synergy that is City of Traitors and Undiscovered Paradise.
    I've never seen him so upset....or ever before.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)