Page 287 of 310 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297 ... LastLast
Results 5,721 to 5,740 of 6196

Thread: [DTB] Vial Goblins

  1. #5721
    Member
    GoboLord's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2010
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    143

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    I personally don't like hate in form of permenents against Survival, simple because they effectively deal with it (Pridemage, Trygon Predator, Krosan Grip). Therefore: I don't like Leyline and Needle.

    WIth Nature's claim/Krosan Grip you won't completey shut their decks down (unless you are up against Ooze Survival, which heavily relies on SotF) because GW and UG both have a rather well-working aggro component. Therefore: don't aim at their graveyard or at their Survival.

    I was testing UG and GW a lot with 3 Pyrokinesis, 3 Lightning Bolt, 4 Gempalm Incinerator 1 Stingscourger and 4 Wastes/3 Ports to aim for their mana and it worked out quite good. Therefore: Removal is most effective!
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

  2. #5722
    Site Contributor
    ScatmanX's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2008
    Posts

    761

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by guedax View Post
    do you think Leyline of the Void is effective against survival?

    I found extirpate nice against it but really non synergic with lotv

    so how do you side against it?
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Pyrokinésie?
    no perish?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    Agains UGMadness, I sided +3 Knesis, +3 Needle, +3 Claim, -4 Vial,-1 Gempalm,-1Chieftain,-1 Prospector, -3MWM... so there was not even room for gravehate, and I'd not bring in Extirpate even if I was running it.
    Gravehate and Perish are just bad against ugmadness. If you run green, suggest to go with the sideboard I quoted.

    Unlike Gobbolord, I like Needles against it. It does not win the game, but gets you 2-3 turns to do so...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

  3. #5723
    Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    (nameless one)'s Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2009
    Location

    GTA, Ontario
    Posts

    2,878

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    I personally don't like hate in form of permenents against Survival, simple because they effectively deal with it (Pridemage, Trygon Predator, Krosan Grip). Therefore: I don't like Leyline and Needle.

    WIth Nature's claim/Krosan Grip you won't completey shut their decks down (unless you are up against Ooze Survival, which heavily relies on SotF) because GW and UG both have a rather well-working aggro component. Therefore: don't aim at their graveyard or at their Survival.

    I was testing UG and GW a lot with 3 Pyrokinesis, 3 Lightning Bolt, 4 Gempalm Incinerator 1 Stingscourger and 4 Wastes/3 Ports to aim for their mana and it worked out quite good. Therefore: Removal is most effective!
    Based on your removal, it looks like you are running a mono-red version GoboLord. What does your main and side look like? My build seems clunky but then, I am running 2 Chieftain. I still see E-plagues once in a while.

    On on Survival, I find that mana denial is the most effective way to deal with them.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

  4. #5724
    Member
    GoboLord's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2010
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    143

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Based on your removal, it looks like you are running a mono-red version GoboLord. What does your main and side look like? My build seems clunky but then, I am running 2 Chieftain. I still see E-plagues once in a while.

    On on Survival, I find that mana denial is the most effective way to deal with them.
    //Lands [22]
    15 Mountain
    4 Wasteland
    3 Rishadan port

    //Core [26]
    4: Vial, Lackey, Piledriver, Warchief, Matron, Ringleader
    2: SGC

    //Flex [12]
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Lightning Bolt
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Skirk Porspector

    3 Mogg War Marshal
    1 Chieftain

    //Sideboard
    4 Pyrokinesis
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Boartusk Liege
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

    Manadenial is effective agains Surv. I counted removal as means of mandeinal here (Quirion Ranger, Birds, Noble Hierarch)
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

  5. #5725
    Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    (nameless one)'s Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2009
    Location

    GTA, Ontario
    Posts

    2,878

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    When is it a good time to use Stingscourger? I was running 3 Gempalm/3 Stingscourger as my removal but that was way before VV's day. I was thinking of leaving 1 Stingscourger but I cant justify it. Outside decks that cheat big things into play, what are they used for.

    And I know this has been discussed here for a long time, but I prefer Thorn of Amethyst over Chalice of the Void. The reason is you can also use Thorn against control. I guess it all depends on the meta and how competent combo players are in your meta.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

  6. #5726
    Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Vandalize's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2010
    Posts

    314

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Probably the best time to use Stingscourger is when there's a horny Iona locking you (sting casted via Vial). There're a few situations that bouncing something should help you. Maybe against Zoo, boucing a Goyf or a Grim Lavamancer should add some tempo to your clock. But it's a suboptimal card now, with all those Vengevines flying arround (no joke, lol).

    If your meta requires a bouncer, just add 1 (maybe 2) maindeck and have fun.

  7. #5727

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    When is it a good time to use Stingscourger? I was running 3 Gempalm/3 Stingscourger as my removal but that was way before VV's day. I was thinking of leaving 1 Stingscourger but I cant justify it. Outside decks that cheat big things into play, what are they used for.
    stingers not only were used to bounce iona when reanimator was introduced, it can still be used to bounce emrakul right now. But it was first introduced to bounce Zoo's pesky 2/3 and 3/3 on turn 2 so that lackey could connect. Where gempalm couldn't finish, stinger succeeded.

    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    And I know this has been discussed here for a long time, but I prefer Thorn of Amethyst over Chalice of the Void. The reason is you can also use Thorn against control. I guess it all depends on the meta and how competent combo players are in your meta.
    People have argued that Thorn of Amethyst is strong in more match ups, but after you play goblins enough, you will realize that goblins don't need to board against most control decks because most control decks are too slow to slow down goblins. The Rishadan Ports will suffice to slow down control decks. Control decks built to fight goblins is better dealt with in other means.

    The reason why I like chalice over thorn is because chalice does not dilute the goblin game plan where goblins can keep up the pressure while not wasting tempo (thorn takes up your turn 2). I hope this helped.

  8. #5728
    Member
    GoboLord's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2010
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    143

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    stingers not only were used to bounce iona when reanimator was introduced, it can still be used to bounce emrakul right now. But it was first introduced to bounce Zoo's pesky 2/3 and 3/3 on turn 2 so that lackey could connect. Where gempalm couldn't finish, stinger succeeded.
    I like them especially against Aggro Loam and The Rock

    Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    People have argued that Thorn of Amethyst is strong in more match ups, but after you play goblins enough, you will realize that goblins don't need to board against most control decks because most control decks are too slow to slow down goblins. The Rishadan Ports will suffice to slow down control decks. Control decks built to fight goblins is better dealt with in other means.

    The reason why I like chalice over thorn is because chalice does not dilute the goblin game plan where goblins can keep up the pressure while not wasting tempo (thorn takes up your turn 2). I hope this helped.
    ***
    3 GoboLord-stars for a short, good and experienced explanation!
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

  9. #5729
    Dismember
    raindrainxi's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Philippines
    Posts

    6

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by jin View Post
    Control decks built to fight goblins is better dealt with in other means.
    Can we detail this other means? Thanks.

  10. #5730
    Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Vandalize's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2010
    Posts

    314

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Yeah, they're good against The Rock, as GoboLord said. I remember once, I was playing R/B Goblins, and I had Wort and a Warchief in play and a Stingscourger in GY. I kept boucing his Doran for like 4 or 5 turns, and hit him to 3 life (I was at 2 life). Then, he casted Doran again, casted a Noble Hierarch, and beat me with a 1/2 Birds of Paradise. It's a sad history :(

  11. #5731
    Site Contributor
    ScatmanX's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2008
    Posts

    761

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    People should not confuse things. Stingscourger is NOT removal. It is tempo gain. Either by connecting your Lackey, or removing a blocker and attacking with your 2/2, either by bouncing something expensive (Relicary) and blocking something big.
    In today's meta, it is not worth it imo. It is awful against Vengevine. The only thing you'll accomplish is giving them another dude for them to cast and bring back Vengevines.
    Bolts have proven to be the best removal right now. Few decks pack Ponder/Chain Lightning now, so it is usually enough to remove a Goyf early game, or even an Relicary. Costing 1 mana is really great too, with the added bonus of going to the dome once in a while.

    @Gobbo: how do you side against UGmadness with that list (exactly like mine). I guess you have posted already, just need to check it out... Cause my MU against them hasn't been that great since I dropped Needles...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

  12. #5732

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by GoboLord View Post
    ***
    3 GoboLord-stars for a short, good and experienced explanation!
    Thanks GoboLord, I hope it was out of 3 stars..

    Quote Originally Posted by raindrainxi View Post
    Can we detail this other means? Thanks.
    It depends on what kind of hate cards they have on your goblins. For example:

    White enchantments (Humility/Mat/Absolute Law):
    you would be much better off with Anarchy while porting them early on.

    Red enchantments that do damage (Lightning Rift/Seizmic Assault):
    pithing needle would be better (than thorn)

    Artifacts that do damage (Jitte/Cursed Scroll):
    your favourite artifact removal card

    etc.... I hope I helped

  13. #5733
    is selling his Underground Seas.
    Tacosnape's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2006
    Location

    Birmingham, AL
    Posts

    3,148

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    You know, I keep seeing all this roundabout logic of how:

    A. Mana Denial is good against Survival.
    B. Port is Mana Denial.

    So therefore

    C. Port is good against Survival.

    This is the least true thing since untrue came to falsetown. Whatever that means.

    The point of this is that Rishadan Port is balls garbage against Survival decks. If they drop a Fetchland and pass, or lead with a Hierarch, you're not going to keep them off of . And if they get the Survival out, guess what they're going to do in response to your port activation? Activate Survival with the targeted land.

    Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

  14. #5734
    Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Vandalize's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2010
    Posts

    314

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Port is bad against VVine. True.
    But is this a reason not to run them? No.
    VVines are the only deck in legacy? No.

    Don't try to make an anti Survival of the Fittest sideboard. There're more decks in Legacy we should be worried about.

    GoboLord said: Mana denial in form of Pyrokinesis/Bolts/Wastelands to kill Nobles/Birds/Dual Lands. The point here isn't killing their combo, it's almost impossible. It's just about delaying them a little bit to let your Piledrivers do their bloody job.

    If you want to kill Vengevines completely, just change your deck to CounterTop and run some Peacekeepers.

  15. #5735
    Member
    GoboLord's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2010
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    143

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by ScatmanX View Post
    @Gobbo: how do you side against UGmadness with that list (exactly like mine). I guess you have posted already, just need to check it out... Cause my MU against them hasn't been that great since I dropped Needles...
    //Lands [22]
    15 Mountain
    4 Wasteland
    3 Rishadan port

    //Core [26]
    4: Vial, Lackey, Piledriver, Warchief, Matron, Ringleader
    2: SGC

    //Flex [12]
    3 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Lightning Bolt
    1 Sharpshooter
    1 Skirk Porspector

    3 Mogg War Marshal [OUT]
    1 Chieftain [OUT]

    //Sideboard
    4 Pyrokinesis [IN]
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Vexing Shusher
    1 Boartusk Liege
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

  16. #5736
    Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Vandalize's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2010
    Posts

    314

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    I'm seriously thinking about dropping the Skirk Shooter combo MD. It's a really good strategy/combo, but I usually ramp or die to opponents before I have a chance to use them. I don't know if it's worth it. Should I?

  17. #5737
    Member
    GoboLord's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2010
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    143

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about dropping the Skirk Shooter combo MD. It's a really good strategy/combo, but I usually ramp or die to opponents before I have a chance to use them. I don't know if it's worth it. Should I?
    It's up to you. I don't nessecarily see them as a combo (although their interaction is obviously very good).
    You have to see that those cards are very good on their own. Skirk Porspector can fight Jitte, abouse your MWM and always provides you with free mana for Lightning Bolt. Sharpshooter is very good in the mirror, has a nice interaction with Pyrokinesis and is just gamebreaking with SGC, (while he also interacts with MWM of course).
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

    If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

  18. #5738
    Member
    Tom T's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2010
    Location

    Eindhoven, the Netherlands
    Posts

    133

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about dropping the Skirk Shooter combo MD. It's a really good strategy/combo, but I usually ramp or die to opponents before I have a chance to use them. I don't know if it's worth it. Should I?
    I have the same problem sometimes, when I'm too much concentrating on the combo and getting the pieces.
    Now, I usually only concentrate on this combo when it's directly finishing an opponent and I don't count on removal.

    Offtopic:
    I've really found this thread usefull and it has certainly improved my skills with the deck!
    Thanks all.

    Tom

  19. #5739

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about dropping the Skirk Shooter combo MD. It's a really good strategy/combo, but I usually ramp or die to opponents before I have a chance to use them. I don't know if it's worth it. Should I?
    I would never remove them from MD, the synergies and interactions with both cards (with or without each other), are just to great. They are my favorite silver bullets and have saved me lots of times. There are just to much you can do with both cards, i tend to get unexpected wins with both cards, on thier own or with each other, on games i would never win otherwise.
    Sharpshooter can hold of all x/3 creatures, and make them trade with your 1/1, and it has such great synergi with MWM.
    And i completely agree with GoboLords post, it can really win games together with cards like, Pyrokinesis, Siege-Gangs.
    And as GoboLords says, Skirk can fight Jitte's and has a nice synergi with MWM. It can also protect you frome Daze, and it can also give you that last mana you need to win the game.

    All those scenarios (and much more) has happened me alot, if you know how to stack and how to use the interactions with both these cards, they are really game winning.

  20. #5740
    Site Contributor
    ScatmanX's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2008
    Posts

    761

    Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

    Quote Originally Posted by antonbystedt View Post
    I would never remove them from MD
    As much as I like them right now, I wouldn't say this.
    They're awesome for todays meta, but may be not as good tomorrow...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)