Page 105 of 320 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 6384

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

  1. #2081
    The one and only Incurable Ham
    TossUsToLions's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2010
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    51

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Mother of Runes and Stoneforge Mystic wreck folk. Vial in a SFM, then activate the SFM to put in a SoFI and start beating. Also, running at least 6 removal spells is good against them

  2. #2082
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2011
    Location

    Brazil
    Posts

    92

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by TossUsToLions View Post
    Mother of Runes and Stoneforge Mystic wreck folk. Vial in a SFM, then activate the SFM to put in a SoFI and start beating. Also, running at least 6 removal spells is good against them
    But you need to have Vials in your deck and i think vial is crap in Deadguy

  3. #2083

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by novatinhu View Post
    But you need to have Vials in your deck and i think vial is crap in Deadguy
    It sounds like if you want to beat Folk, you should run better cards like Thoughtseize, Vial and SFM. And learn to play around counter spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertai's Familiar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Interestingly enough, I would argue that BS is the Dark Ritual in this case.
    Tom? Is that you? I thought you were going to go work on DnD?

  4. #2084
    The one and only Incurable Ham
    TossUsToLions's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2010
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    51

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    i agree 100%. The deck that i am playing, which plays vials, isnt really "Deadguy Ale". I just posted this here because it seems like half of the decks in this thread aren't really Deadguy decks.

  5. #2085

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by novatinhu View Post
    But you need to have Vials in your deck and i think vial is crap in Deadguy
    Results speak for themselves, this guy beat Folk twice

    http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/l...nsas_City.html

  6. #2086

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    I played in a tourny this Sunday and there were 3 DeadGuy decks. This one guy was running 4 Aether Vials with 4 Vampire Hexmage. He also ran 4 Dark Depths. One game he attacked me with an indestructable, flying 20/20 turn 3. :( I wouldn't run this combo, but I was surely intrigued.

  7. #2087

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Old Combo is old :P

    It was played out crazy like in extended last season. Its why DD went from dollar bin to 20 bucks overnight.
    Get paid to talk about Magic Here

    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    @ Mental Misstep

    I'm not going to stop running cards because they MIGHT get countered, otherwise I'd just run infinite Blurred Mongeese, Vexing Shushers, or some other garbage. Force of Will is more rampant than MM, yet I still play counterable cards. My word!

    -Matt

  8. #2088
    Member

    Join Date

    Dec 2010
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    104

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    went to my first legacy-tournament today (both, with Deadguy and in general^^), 56 people (+/-2) and went 3-3. Not really amazing but I'm happy with it and would like some suggests to my list.

    Played this



    2x Plains
    6x Swamp
    4x Scrubland
    4x Marsh Flats
    4x Bloodstained Mire

    4x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Duress
    3x Hymn to Tourach
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    2x Go for the Throat
    2x Vindicate

    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Vampire Nighthawk
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Gatekeeper of Malakir

    2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant

    1x Sword of Fire & Ice
    1x Sword of Light & Shadow
    1x Umezawas Jitte
    2x Sensei's Divining Top

    Sideboard

    3x Deathmark
    2x Duress
    2x Diabolic Edict
    3x Planar Void
    4x Extirpate



    Meta: I had no clue what to expect, since it was my first Tourney. From talking with Friends and searching the Inet I expected a lot of UGx, Sneak Show and Dredge, some tribal/zoo and a few Combo-players

    My Expectations were fullfilled, got paired against UGR Sneak Show, Dredge (1 with, 1 without Led), Zoo with NO, UGB-Thresh and RG-Sligh. Tribals and Combo were there, but not as much as I feared.

    Sideboard was designed to get dredge with early planar Void and Extirpate and UGx with Deathmark, Duress and Edict. Worked quite well, but I'm not very happy with no outs against Combo and hope you have some ideas about it.

    Short Report about the games (sorry for the bad writing, english is not my first Language)

    Marco with UGR Sneak Show
    G1: He has Turn 3 Progenitus, I can't hit the third B for Gatekeeper
    Boarded Edict for 'the Throat
    G2: He draws bad and I can handle his threads. Gets beaten by Stoneforge+Jitte
    G3: I get double Bob and reveal lucky while he Show&Tells Emrakul in. I play Nighthawk and he hesitates for 3 Rounds (I think) to attack. Both go down, all but 1 land of me were destroyed. I recovered with 2 Bobs+Top while he draws crap. Bobs took the victory on 4 life^^
    2:1

    Zen (hope i got the Name right) with Led-Dredge
    G1: He dredged really bad and I beat him with Nighthawk
    Boarded Planar+Extirpate. Out Duress, Hymn and 2 Inquisition
    G2: No hate in sight, Turn 3 for 24 in my face
    G3: Not proud of this, but I bought International Edition Scrublands a week ago, not knowing they were not legal in Legacy. Judge declared Loss and I was happy not to be DQed (again no bad intention on my side. I tried later to feel it through the sleeves, must have numb fingers, felt nothing. A friend of mine lend me a playset legal ones.)
    1:2

    Denis with Zoo+NO (or NoBant he was not sure^^*)
    G1: I killed everything touching the Table but he had more creatures than I removal
    Boarded Deathmark, not knowing he had NO
    G2: Natural Order -> Progenitus. 3 Gatekeeper in hand, 4 Mana but no BBB -,- (second time)
    0:2

    Patrick with RG-Sligh
    G1: Got burned to 8 then stick nighthawk, SoLaS and Elspeth and won
    G2: He droped saying he don't think he can win the second
    2:0

    Sebi with UGB-Thresh (Friend ho lend me Scrublands and some more)
    G1: He had everything, full load of force, stifle, Daze... Goyf+Moongoose= Kill
    Boarded in Duress and Deathmark, no clue what left, think Vindicate and ???
    G2: I had everything, Removal for the lonely Critters and loads of Disruption. Nighthawk kills
    G3: Got nothing on the Table, Moongoose beats me to 13 without Thresh -,-
    1:2

    Richard with Ledless Dredge
    G1: He got lethal on Turn 2/3
    In Gravehate, out Discard
    G2: Mull to 5, no hate, drop a top, upkeep next turn found Planar Void in it. He had nothing against it
    G3: Early Extirpate on Bridge and Ichorid. Then follows a war of Atrittion as he throws Aquamoebe and Golgari Thug at me and I get rid of them. Jitte and Nighthawk won me the game.


    Pros:
    - went 3-3
    - Nighthawk is awesome
    - Deadguy has a pretty solid matchup against the whole "I cheat a fattie into play"-faction that is popular here
    - went best in our car although I lost to Sebi

    Cons:
    - Tripple B is harder to get if you need it -,-
    - I need defined Boardingplans^^*
    - International and Collectors Edition are not Tournament-legal

    hope you have some suggestions to my list

  9. #2089
    Member

    Join Date

    Dec 2010
    Location

    Charlotte
    Posts

    8

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    I recently built a variation to this deck for a friend of mine not knowing it was already an archtype. My build runs Thoughtseize over Inquisition, with PTE's instead of STP's. It also runs no Gatekeepers but runs Serra's avengers and Grunts with no Nighthawks. I'm also running four mother of runes. I haven't played it in any real tournaments but in testing it holds its own against zoo/fish, goblins can be to quick at times and ANT...welll ANT either wins or it doesnt anyway.
    Last edited by Barbwire; 03-06-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Forgot about mother of runes
    Did you ask me if that spell could resolve?????

    -Team HRW-
    High Roll Wins

  10. #2090

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Leto, here's my thoughts on your list: Why no Mother of Runes? Mom+Equipment=win. With Mom, there's less of a need for removal since she makes such a great wall. I would drop the 2 Duress for +1 Hymn, +1 Vindicate. Lategame Hymns are much better than lategame Duress/Inquisition. Since you're lategame should already be strong with Top, Equipment, and Confidant, I would swap out Elspeth for Serra Avenger. Consider Snuff Out over Go for the Throat. Since you're not running Thoughtseize, the lifeloss from Snuff Out isn't a big deal compared to the tempo gain. Perhaps even change out the Gatekeepers for Mother of Runes; that way, you can add in Wasteland and the Mothers work well with the equipment.

  11. #2091
    Member
    ForlornEgoist's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    MN, USA
    Posts

    273

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpoe View Post
    the lifeloss from Snuff Out isn't a big deal compared to the tempo gain.
    So, you expect him to possibly pay 8 life all so he can kill 1 creature, assuming said spell resolves? This in addition to 4 Bobs, 8 fetches, and combat damage/shennanigans from the opponent? Yea, I miss Snuff Out from my MBA days, but we don't run it because realistically you don't want to hard cast it ever and drawing it off of Bob is essentially a game loss.

    @ Leto:

    Sorry to hear that about your Scrubs. I almost did the same thing too, but luckily the store noted: "Not Tournament Legal."

    I assume that your running Go for the Throat as a substitution for the x2 Vindicate so I won't mention anything in regards to that. However, I would suggest upgrading the IoK to Thoughtseizes. Really the lifeloss is something we can recover from, and being able to rip any threat would serve to help your combo MU as well as ripping other cards IoK can't, for example: FoW, Moat, Smokestacks, Humility, Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Sneak Attack, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Progenitus, Ad Nauseaum, etc.

    I would also suggest upgrading your SDT to 3-4 (my preference is 4, but it is a perfectly arguable point to run 3). SDT is incredibly synergetic with the deck. Including the SFM's, we run on average 11-12 shuffle effects, so SDT gives our deck a very good chance of fixing the draws we need. Not to mention minimizing the life loss from Bob is always relevant.

    Mom is definitely something your going to want to consider running in place of Gatekeeper of Malakir. White has little if any efficient beaters, and a lot of our deck is varying types of removal so in a variety of your MU's you'll be wanting to stall out into the mid-game. Mom is perfect in that she acts as essentially an unkillable blocker (situations like Zoo where you'll name green to block 'Goyf and they burn/PtE her aside), or shielding other creatures to keep them alive/let them get direct damage with an equipment. Gatekeeper is a decent piece of removal, but ultimately I've found that while BBB is attainable, it often isn't always realistic in a game where I'm fetching Scrubs subject to nonbasic hate or basic plains. My list in particular is unforgiving of Gatekeeper as I run 4 Wasteland.

    Wasteland, I'm assuming, is a budget necessity for you, so when you're able to get a playset I would suggest running them. I won't list arguments for it since their in every primer for decks that run it.

    Hymn to Tourach should be an automatic 4-of because grandma always said, "Never leave home without yer 2-for-1's."

    Serra Avenger, I've found, to be preferrable when you have Vial. Yea, the Vigilance is nice when you want to atk with a piece of equipment and then block next turn, but w/o equipment she's a vanilla 3/3 body that doesn't even sit above burn range. I've been MDing x2 Tombstalker, but that's because I'm willing to run the risking of revealing 8 off Bob for a creature that puts them typically on a 3-turn clock by the time I cast him. I also run x4 SDT to help minimize the risk of Bob reveal, but keeping him sitting under 3 usually means that with 11 fetch effects I'm likely to see him in a MU but not so much that he clutters my hands or pings me off of Bob. Ultimately I just felt like the deck lacked solid, "Oh snaps," beater which sad to say are just sometimes necessary, so I opted for him happily at the risk of potentially lethal Bob life loss.

    Those are my suggestions. Hope you have more success with the deck. ;)

    Forlorn Egoist

  12. #2092

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by ForlornEgoist View Post
    Hymn to Tourach should be an automatic 4-of because grandma always said, "Never leave home without yer 2-for-1's."

    \Forlorn Egoist
    And to think, i always thought my grandma was the only one that said this.
    Get paid to talk about Magic Here

    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    @ Mental Misstep

    I'm not going to stop running cards because they MIGHT get countered, otherwise I'd just run infinite Blurred Mongeese, Vexing Shushers, or some other garbage. Force of Will is more rampant than MM, yet I still play counterable cards. My word!

    -Matt

  13. #2093
    Member

    Join Date

    Dec 2010
    Location

    Germany
    Posts

    104

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    nice to see some life in her ;)

    @Gatekeeper

    I really want to cut him, but I hesitate cause at the Tournament, everybody and their Mum played UGx+Progenitus&Emrakul and it is really good at the moment, to steal game 1 from them (my first opponent hated me for this^^). Maybe I Maindeck Edicts and Moms in Split or something. Need to think and test this more

    @IoK

    I really need to Upgrade them^^

    @Mom

    I can really see her in Gatekeepers Place, Problem is as mentionend that Gatekeeper right now is a Metacall.

    @Wasteland

    Without the Keeper is Wasteland a viable Choice. (Looks like my Savings are in serious trouble right now)


    @Lack of Serious Beats

    I thought the same and came to Abyssal Persecutor. Lesser Ping, bigger Damage and most important, trample. No more hangin around with the Bitterblossom-Crew. Tested this against a friend of mine and worked out pretty well, the deck has enough options to kill the guy after the work is done.


    Thanks for your Suggestions, i work my list over and present it soon

  14. #2094

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    How does the deck beat Affinity?

  15. #2095
    Administrator

    Join Date

    Sep 2009
    Location

    Vienna, AT
    Posts

    481

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Remove every threat they got and start beating down?

  16. #2096
    Member
    ForlornEgoist's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    MN, USA
    Posts

    273

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    @ Leto

    Thoughtseize takes priority for you over Wasteland at the moment, however I would suggest getting Wasteland eventually as it is a necessary staple. If you absolutely want the sacrifice effect MD then run 3 Diabolic Edict instead. Essentially they kill the same creatures, it's instant speed so you don't waste your own turn, and it's only 1B which is incredibly more reasonable for us that BBB.

    @ Abyssal Persecutor
    If you really want to run him then I suggest taking a look at The Gate thread. Makes apt use of him. We can't run him because he'd change the deck style too much. Ultimately I'd rather have Bob and the White splash for StP/Vindicate than a slightly faster clock on our opponent.

    As for Affinity, this is definitely a tough MU. Depending on how dedicated you want to be for Affinity hate, here are my suggestions:
    3-4 Powder Keg
    3-4 Null Rod

    Keg @ 0 destroys Ornithopter/Artifact lands, and Null Rod shuts off Artifact lands/Arcbound Ravager/Cranial Plating/Springleaf Drum

    As for playing them, I don't really have too much to say since it's absent from my meta, but here are a few suggestions:
    In regards to Wasteland targets, ignore Great Furnace and go for either Glimmervoid or Vault of Whispers. With TS your primary target should be Cranial Plating. We have several ways of dealing with a creature, but if they drop this and we don't have a Vindicate then you're in topdeck mode to find one. Be wary, as I've picked up on some Affinity lists running Stoneforge Mystic. Part of Affinity's weakness is that they burn out really fast, so if you can last the first few turns your prospects begin to look better.

    Sorry I can't provide more help with this MU, but I honestly have little if any experience with this MU beyond my MBA days. I'll do some research and get back to ya.

    Forlorn Egoist

  17. #2097
    It's Tricky

    Join Date

    Nov 2009
    Posts

    209

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    @ Abyssal Persecutor
    If you really want to run him then I suggest taking a look at The Gate thread. Makes apt use of him. We can't run him because he'd change the deck style too much. Ultimately I'd rather have Bob and the White splash for StP/Vindicate than a slightly faster clock on our opponent.
    I ran a BW deck with Stoneforge Mystic for Grafted War-gear and the usual suspects. Very minimal change, you already run Stops and Vindicates. It isn't as bad as it sounds. Just putting it out there for people who might want to try it.

  18. #2098
    Member

    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Evansville, IN
    Posts

    18

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    @ beating affinity, if it's prominent in your meta, SB some kataki, war's wage, maybe some disenchant??

  19. #2099

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemagic View Post
    @ beating affinity, if it's prominent in your meta, SB some kataki, war's wage, maybe some disenchant??
    Thats the shitiest advice ever...hey guys this guy sucks I kick his ass every week....lmao....
    No seriuosly kataki is boss against affinity...

  20. #2100
    Member
    Angelfire's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Location

    Mass
    Posts

    195

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    If people think Aether Vial should be included... Doesn't that make this deck some kind suboptimal of Death and Taxes hybrid? For Vial to be good you want to run 20+ creatures.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)