Page 106 of 343 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

  1. #2101
    I like Tacos.
    dahcmai's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2006
    Location

    Traverse City, MI
    Posts

    2,202

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    FTV Legends is the only reason I say dump some of the legendary guys. Just some of them. It's obvious they aren't going to reprint a few. I really don't expect things like original Legends back (most are on reserve list anyway), but those stupid Weatherlight crew guys are almost a given. Especially Sisay since she's an EDH favorite that hasn't seen a reprint that I know of. You're going to have to guess, but you can guess what wizards will do most of the time. We can wish for things like Xia Dun and such, but you already know you get Lu Bu. Too bad Adun Oakenshield is on the reserve list, he'd be perfect.

    If I had to guess the only ones that are expensive now that people would care about being reprinted are Sisay, Hanna, and Joira.

  2. #2102
    (previously Metalwalker)
    GGoober's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2008
    Location

    Houston, TX
    Posts

    1,647

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Price check: how much are Korean Meditates these days? A couple of months back I think they were finishing at ~$25 on Ebay. There's not much data recently so I'm not sure whether they are still around that range or have gone up/down.

    Korean City of Traitors have gone up quite a bit now :/ Ancient Tombs seem to have dropped and fallen out of favor since Stompy-ish decks just don't do too well despite the short-lived popularity of Meandeck MUD when it took the format by surprise.
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

    Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

  3. #2103
    3-point-shooter

    Join Date

    Feb 2006
    Posts

    526

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    tl;dr of evolution of thread for those who don't want to read over 100 pages.

    Rant about price increases in Legacy staples -> rage directed at Star City Games and reserved list -> weeping and gnashing of teeth upon reserved list revision (climax) -> hijacked into speculation on which cards to "invest in" -> more rage at SCG for increasing their buylist prices -> hijacked once again into a mechanism for manipulating prices by proclaiming "buy on this card that I just bought 70 copies of"

    You're welcome.
    I like the current trend. People need less whining and more adaption, I mean, to capitalise the RAISE.

    Totally forgot about FTV: Legends, I would bet on Sisay, but won't hold breath on Hanna or Zur. They can always let people down and print Gerrard.

    Transmute Artifact blew up by a single SCG presence. It has been chilling down though, as the artifact block released and the card has nothing but potential.

  4. #2104
    Me? Aggro Player.
    Tiago_B.'s Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Portugal
    Posts

    48

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    /Ignorance. Way to go on comparing two functionally different cards.

    @majikal: Challenge accepted.
    I want to see this one......

    The Abyss shouldnt be worth 80 bucks, its not that good.

    Moat is completly different, although it serves basically the same purpose.

    Still, its very decent, and very annoying to the opponent, even with 4cc.
    Burn

    Pox

    Affinity

    Aggro Elves

    BW Control

  5. #2105
    Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    ivanpei's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2007
    Location

    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts

    1,202

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    @majikal: Challenge accepted.
    I'd like to see this too, maybe you need some NPH help.


  6. #2106

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    So what do I do with uncracked foil sets of Saviors of Kamigawa and Fifth Dawn? Do I hold out for a buyer on the whole set, or do I crack them and trade away the singles?

  7. #2107
    Vintage

    Join Date

    Apr 2005
    Location

    West Coast Degeneracy
    Posts

    5,133

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    I think the foil sets (MTGO redeemed sets) are worth more potentially than the sum of their individual parts; both due to completeness and to condition.

    But that's my take on it from a collecting standpoint. Most of the individual cards from those sets are fairly weaksauce.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

  8. #2108
    Cobra Kai Sensie
    dontbiteitholmes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2004
    Posts

    1,721

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    So what do I do with uncracked foil sets of Saviors of Kamigawa and Fifth Dawn? Do I hold out for a buyer on the whole set, or do I crack them and trade away the singles?
    Trade them as complete sets unopened.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

    Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

    Sweep the leg!

  9. #2109
    I like Tacos.
    dahcmai's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2006
    Location

    Traverse City, MI
    Posts

    2,202

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by dontbiteitholmes View Post
    Trade them as complete sets unopened.
    Totally agree.

  10. #2110
    Cobra Kai Sensie
    dontbiteitholmes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2004
    Posts

    1,721

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Damn, Jace 2.0 and SFM are bouncing back quickly.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

    Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

    Sweep the leg!

  11. #2111

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    jace, agree, I'm sad I didn't get them at 45 when I had the chance :(

    But stoneforge mystic? What are you talking about ? you can get them at ebay for 6€ ( 4 dollar ? ) at "buy now" .. So I don't see him going up again..

  12. #2112
    Member
    keys's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2006
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,053

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dieth View Post
    jace, agree, I'm sad I didn't get them at 45 when I had the chance :(

    But stoneforge mystic? What are you talking about ? you can get them at ebay for 6€ ( 4 dollar ? ) at "buy now" .. So I don't see him going up again..
    6€ = $9 USD. SCG was selling at $7.50 for a short time immediately following the ban, but now has raised the price up to $9.99. Likewise, the eBay value was around $5 temporarily, but seems to have jumped back up to $7.

  13. #2113
    I like Tacos.
    dahcmai's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2006
    Location

    Traverse City, MI
    Posts

    2,202

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    You have to remember Stoneforge is still one of those cards that "gets better with time". He's a two drop that cheats equipment costs. The more equipment that sees print makes people go back and check "is this awesome with Stoneforge?

    It will only go up in the long run, especially foils.


    Jace is a matter of the people who waited trying to get one at a decent price caving in and realizing that it's not going lower for a bit and deciding to go ahead and get one before people drive it up again. Which of course drives it up again. It will lull eventually.

  14. #2114

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    6€ = $9 USD. SCG was selling at $7.50 for a short time immediately following the ban, but now has raised the price up to $9.99. Likewise, the eBay value was around $5 temporarily, but seems to have jumped back up to $7.
    Haha, oh right, dollar is less then euro's, *Sigh, How did ever finish school ?!

    Anyway, I don't think the bay made that jump and bounce.

    ( and I don't follow the scg ) But damn, 5 dollar, that's to low! I think think the current price 8-9 dollar is a pretty fair one.

    ( you have to consider it is 2 times in the event deck!, which is also dropping in price in my local stores )

  15. #2115
    Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    ivanpei's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2007
    Location

    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts

    1,202

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    I jumped on an opportunity to grab 35 shocks for about 265 dollars. About 7.50 bucks a piece. I think that's an excellent deal. If modern explodes, I'm going to be making the $$$ big time. If modern doesn't pan out, that's still a really good deal as I can just doll them out to Edh players. The shocks will only go up with time while old fetches and duals seem to have plateuaed.

  16. #2116
    Cobra Kai Sensie
    dontbiteitholmes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2004
    Posts

    1,721

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    I jumped on an opportunity to grab 35 shocks for about 265 dollars. About 7.50 bucks a piece. I think that's an excellent deal. If modern explodes, I'm going to be making the $$$ big time. If modern doesn't pan out, that's still a really good deal as I can just doll them out to Edh players. The shocks will only go up with time while old fetches and duals seem to have plateuaed.
    Ironically if shocks get reprinted you still probably made a good buy on that one. Of course the persistent rumor is that shocklands are coming back in next block to push modern.

    SFM bottomed out the week of the ban at about $23 a playset now they are up around $30 a playset average and about to go up again. If you pay attention to the recent purchases on Ebay a lot of BINs have been bought in the past 48 hours because the average price surpassed the previously overpriced BINs. Now that a good chunk of the BINs with reasonable prices are gone I expect them to jump again soon. I personally thought they would dip to under $20 a playset but I used solid judgement and saw the writing on the wall and pulled the trigger at a $26 playset which just arrived today. I expect $40 average by the end of next month seeing as how SFM is still good in almost every other format from EDH to Modern to Ext. I would recommend buying a playset soon for your collection unless you want to end up paying double when extended season rolls around.

    Jace I don't think it's speculation, it's just regular supply and demand. I mean Jace is not a $40 card. He's in the same boat as SFM except he's also good in Vintage (not that it really effects the price of non-foils too much). There was a flood of them when T2 players dumped them in disgust but people know he's not going to stay @ $45 very long. He'll probably be back to 70 at least when Ext rolls around.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

    Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

    Sweep the leg!

  17. #2117
    Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    ivanpei's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2007
    Location

    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts

    1,202

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    I agree with IBA, look at jitte, it was in a precon, it's about 12-15 now. Worst, jitte is played as a 1-2 off target in sfm decks while sfm is a 4 off. It makes sense that sfms would be at least around jitte's price after a couple of years, more likely even higher than jitte. I think it might be 20 each in a couple of years.

    Shocks being reprinted sounds like a really good idea. Between fetches in zen and shocks in innistrad, modern will become extremely accessible to most players. A really good idea honestly.

  18. #2118
    Clergyman of Cool
    lordofthepit's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2009
    Location

    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
    Posts

    1,954

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    I jumped on an opportunity to grab 35 shocks for about 265 dollars. About 7.50 bucks a piece. I think that's an excellent deal. If modern explodes, I'm going to be making the $$$ big time. If modern doesn't pan out, that's still a really good deal as I can just doll them out to Edh players. The shocks will only go up with time while old fetches and duals seem to have plateuaed.
    I don't understand investing in Shocklands.

    They would be reprinted presumably because of supply for Modern if it ever becomes a real format; and Modern is appealing mainly because staples can be reprinted with no concerns about the Reserved List.

    Certainly, shocklands would be printed at rare, since MaRo explicitly said utility lands like duals would never be printed at mythic. With fetchlands, we see that a multi-format staple printed at rare is unlikely to exceed $10 in value, and shocklands would be further diluted by the large supply from the previous Ravnica printing and they would have fewer demand in Vintage and Legacy.

    At best, I consider $7.50 a breakeven point in the "best case scenario". I mean, it's possible that Modern will get announced as an official format, but shocklands won't be reprinted right away. There's probably a window during that time in which you can sell for significant profit, but that's an unlikely scenario.

  19. #2119
    Cobra Kai Sensie
    dontbiteitholmes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2004
    Posts

    1,721

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I don't understand investing in Shocklands.

    They would be reprinted presumably because of supply for Modern if it ever becomes a real format; and Modern is appealing mainly because staples can be reprinted with no concerns about the Reserved List.

    Certainly, shocklands would be printed at rare, since MaRo explicitly said utility lands like duals would never be printed at mythic. With fetchlands, we see that a multi-format staple printed at rare is unlikely to exceed $10 in value, and shocklands would be further diluted by the large supply from the previous Ravnica printing and they would have fewer demand in Vintage and Legacy.

    At best, I consider $7.50 a breakeven point in the "best case scenario". I mean, it's possible that Modern will get announced as an official format, but shocklands won't be reprinted right away. There's probably a window during that time in which you can sell for significant profit, but that's an unlikely scenario.
    The only real danger from buying shocklands is if WotC puts them in non-standard legal box sets. In that case you are probably SOL for a while but more likely they will show up again in the next 2-3 blocks and will settle at around $6-$15 a piece depending on what decks are hot. If they put them in M13 or another base set it might be a little lower but I don't see Standard legal shocklands dipping under $5 for the worst colors or $10 for the best colors especially the old school ones.


    As far as SFM is concerned if Caw-Blade becomes a DTB in extended they could even hit $20 a piece next year. It's a card that is only going up from here, I mean it was just printed twice in a year and banned so we probably won't see it anytime soon unless it's as a judge Promo or GP foil which have been shown to not affect price at all so far.

    A card I'm scared about is Chaos Warp. It's a card I think it overvalued right now at around $8-9 average. I want to get a play set just to have in case I ever sleeve up burn again but I feel like it's already dropped and it's going to drop more unless someone lucks out and top 8's an SCG with them and then the price is gonna double. Wat do?
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

    Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

    Sweep the leg!

  20. #2120
    Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    ivanpei's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2007
    Location

    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Posts

    1,202

    Re: Raise, raise, raise. The price of cardboard

    I like original set cards for the nostalgic feel. As for chaos warp, it'll drop. There is another big shipment coming in august (according to my lgs) so that'll be the time when the market is flooded. I highly doubt burn t8ing anytime soon with chaos warps so I'd wait.

    @7.50 a piece, there's not much risk in my shockland investment IMO. I don't see it ever dipping below that due to Edh regardless of the outcome. Edh is a major player in prices now so I'm covered even if modern never makes it to paper. It'll just be a pain getting rid of them piece by piece.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)