Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: [Deck] RG Hate

  1. #21

    Re: [Deck] Rg Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Why Forked Bolt? What one- or two-toughness things are you trying to kill at sorcery speed? Just maxing out on Lightning Bolts seems better.

    Also, why Raging Ravine? That cards seems a little too slow for the format, and might be better as extra basic lands.

    EDIT: If you decide to commit to white (and I don't see why you'd need to), Ajani Vengeant becomes an option.
    im just trying the white splash for helix
    and you're right, i should just max out bolt
    ravine was just a nice land creature?
    i could forget it for basics, it was just a thought, a mishra/treep top village land if you will

  2. #22

    Re: [Deck] Rg Hate

    I don't think Ravine is that awesome. It's basically five mana to make a 3/3 that turns into a 4/4 when it attacks, but it has no evasion and is vulnerable to Bolt, Helix, and Path to Exile in response to the attack trigger. Compare that to Creeping Tar Pit, which is at least unblockable; Celestial Colonnade, which has a permanent +1 toughness and is mostly unblockable; or Mutavault, which is a 2/2 with no evasion but basically costs two to attack (1 and tapping itself).

    I would want to look at more basics or additional fetches in those slots. An extra Forest seems like a good idea to help you consistently operate under a Blood Moon (yours or someone else's) without needing a bunch of fragile 0/1 mana dorks, and more Mountains for Koth seems like a good idea as well.

  3. #23

    Re: [Deck] Rg Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I don't think Ravine is that awesome. It's basically five mana to make a 3/3 that turns into a 4/4 when it attacks, but it has no evasion and is vulnerable to Bolt, Helix, and Path to Exile in response to the attack trigger. Compare that to Creeping Tar Pit, which is at least unblockable; Celestial Colonnade, which has a permanent +1 toughness and is mostly unblockable; or Mutavault, which is a 2/2 with no evasion but basically costs two to attack (1 and tapping itself).

    I would want to look at more basics or additional fetches in those slots. An extra Forest seems like a good idea to help you consistently operate under a Blood Moon (yours or someone else's) without needing a bunch of fragile 0/1 mana dorks, and more Mountains for Koth seems like a good idea as well.
    ah mutavault is what i was thinking

    but ya i think you're right, going back to 2x forest 3x mountain would be good, still play testing
    debating if i should go to 1 koth 1 chanrda and 1 garruk, but i think the 2 koth and 1 chandra works well

    what do you think of the SB? i was thinking the idea of it would be turn the deck more agroy/anti creature as the LD and burn can deal with combo and control decks

  4. #24

    Re: [Deck] Rg Hate

    Firespout, Grips, possibly Thorn of Amethyst or Trinisphere to help with combo.

    I dunno what you're weak to aside from aggro.

  5. #25

    Re: [Deck] RG Hate

    well i have the current SB posted, i kinda like it, not 100% set in stone obviously
    the firespout and revoker are kinda givens, imo.
    you really think i need to go more anti combo even with LD?

  6. #26
    Legacy Inept

    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Location

    France
    Posts

    1,956

    Re: [Deck] RG Hate

    Yesterday, I've been testing a bit this Land destruction list:


    Lands: (painful) 20
    2 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Verdant Catacomb
    3 Misty Rainforest
    4 Stomping Ground
    1 Temple Garden
    1 Sacred Foundry

    Accelerators: 8
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

    Mana denial: 12
    4 Beast Within
    4 Boom/Bust
    4 Molten Rain

    Creatures: 11
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    3 Bloodbraid Elf

    Planeswalkers: 5
    3 Ajani Vengeant
    2 Garruk, Primal Hunter

    Burn: 4
    4 Lightning Bolt


    From what I could see, Molten Rain is too difficult to play, I will come back to Stone Rain probably. Bloodbraid and GSZ do not work well together (well I could have told it before), but it's not that much a problem. When you know that Bloodbraid can cascade into Boom/Bust and play Bust, I think it's necessary. About GSZ, on turn 1, it's almost as good as Noble but later in the game it can search for something else. However I've been quite disappointed with Knight. It was rarely bigger than Tarmogoyf. But, I guess it's because it can become really strong after a late game Bust. Also it can pumps itself or generate mana, so I'll keep it and hope it shows better in the future. 1 tutorable Deus of Calamity might be a good idea too.

  7. #27
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Hell in a Nutshell
    Posts

    5,245

    Re: [Deck] RG Hate

    I'm curious what Primal Command could do for this threat-lite deck. You only have 11 creatures (plus Garruk) but I think Primal Command would be pretty hot in this setup.

    I'm a little curious why no one (at least that i haven't seen) has mentioned Punishing Fire/Grove of the Burnwillows. I suppose Grim Lavamancer is good, but he can have a negative effect on Goyf. Grove/Fires gets online a lot faster, too, considering Grim needs fetches/GQ's/played cards to feed him.

    Land destruction decks have always been a little bad at taking care of smaller dorks...so I think the Firespout option is spot on Tearnov. Grove/Fires has the added benefit of not being killed by Firespout like Grim Lavamancer would be.
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  8. #28
    Member

    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Denmark
    Posts

    50

    Re: [Deck] RG Hate

    I think it looks like most of the format will be blank to moon effects, which means 3 colours and grove+punishing fire is out of the picture in that direction. At least I would go with moons with this deck, packing LD spells and some planeswalkers sure has potential, but then you should just play Big Zoo.

    However locking your opponent out with a moon and dropping Garruk, the Primal Hunter or another must answer threat seems like where this deck could go.
    Bombs: Deus of Calamity, Koth of the Hammer and there are probably more of those.

  9. #29
    Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Hell in a Nutshell
    Posts

    5,245

    Re: [Deck] RG Hate

    Quote Originally Posted by muscleb View Post
    I think it looks like most of the format will be blank to moon effects, which means 3 colours and grove+punishing fire is out of the picture in that direction.
    Why? You're already in red with bolts and maybe Punishing Fires maindeck...that takes care of Magus of the Moon just fine. Blood Moon would need to be countered (so splash blue for Mana Leak) or you bring in Krosan Grips/Nature's Claim from the sideboard. People keep claiming that blue isn't that good in modern, but Moon effects pretty much GUARANTEE that someone will be bringing counterspells (myself included)

    Regardless, when playing R/G, Moon effects are either: something YOU should be playing (with a high count of basic forests), or it's something you can deal with or work around easily.
    Brainstorm Realist

    I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

  10. #30

    Re: [Deck] RG Hate

    Play tested some more, decided to nix the Ravaging Ravine for Treetop Village.
    Still tinkering with the mana base and SB

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)