It's a huge player in Modern considering the Punishing Fires combo still works there and it's actually a decent little combo in Legacy too. I finished my playset of foils just 2 weeks ago when I heard about the Modern thing. I figured I better get them now.
I picked up my 3 at SCG Seattle for 3 bucks each. Thank God.
-Matt
Just a brief round-up of Modern prices:
Thoughtseize - $30
Tarmogoyf - $100
Vendilion Clique - $35
Dark Confidant - $50
Sower of Temptation - $10
Pact of Negation - $20
Horizon Canopy - $10
SOURCE: starcitygames.com at 8:58 pm. central time on August 16, 2011
It would be useful to post both a source, and a timestamp for the query. Otherwise, prices in a vacuum are meaningless.
EDIT:I noticed, thanks. It's useful in case we want to look back over time and laugh and how low the cards were and how foolish we were not to have bought them.
West side
Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
* Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
My Legacy stream
My MTG Blog - Work in progress
Really, so now SCG determines what cards are actually worth?
Awesome, M12 Flight is worth 15 cent and I have a stack of 100 of them, $15 please.
In other news SCG prices are not what the cards are really worth, they only represent whatever SCG thinks they can sell them for because they are the most visible seller of MTG singles. In other words Pact of Negation may be worth $20 to SCG because 1 in 10,000 magic players may pay that price but to everyone not SCG or not buying them from SCG they are worth about $10-$12 at the moment
big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR
Don't disrespect my dojo dude...
Sweep the leg!
Prices on Grove of the Burnwillow also goes up to ~15€ on magiccardmarket...
Good god, I just told my buddies to buy them on friday for 4€ a piece...now they are bitching around :D
Team aYb
Selling my Japanese Legacy Collection. PM me what you need ;)
My mcm-account. Selling overseas
This is getting absurd. Do you think WotC is losing money because their cards have become so expensive. This question's probably been answered before.
Because of these price increases, I've decided that if there's a card I may use for a deck I might want to make, I buy it. Later on, if I really want the card (and never bought when I kind of wanted it) it'll proabably be more expensive.
We were just talking about this last night. Shock duals are ridiculous. Why would I trade 1 Taiga for 2 Stomping Ground? I'd rather be lashed, it's just so terrible.
Modern is priced now what Legacy was like 2 years ago. How do they expect the prices to go down unless they reprint Goyf as un-Timeshifted in Innistrad, and reprint the duals and Confidant in Innistrad/Return to Ravnica?
-Matt
...and then reprint Grove in Shake, and then reprint Vendilion Clique in a precon, and then reprint cards like Knight and Heirarch that will probably be the next to go up in some return to Alara set, and then reprint Mental Misstep and Ancestral Visions when you realize it was stupid to ban them in the first place and unban them which apparently 4x's their price overnight in an eternal format even if they are not playable, then reprint...
Meh, fuck it, just play Legacy. Pay about 3x what you would pay for a shockland set now and never have to buy another dual land ever again. Then in 2 years when they reprint shocklands and people are crying that they are worth 1/4 of what they are now like they didn't know this was going to happen your duals will be worth more than what you paid.
Seriously this is exactly what I said would happen so far. The price for Modern staples is buzzing around Legacy price ranges, which makes sense for an Eternal format. The format is now too expensive for many of the people who wanted it because Legacy is "too expensive." Now WotC can either crash the value of all the cards one buy one and burn everyone who actually cared enough about the format to pay full price for them causing many to leave, or they can hold back on reprinting cards just for the sake of keeping prices low and less people will join the format. Most likely we will see reprints at some point of obvious stuff like Goyf (futureshifted after all) and every land from shock to futureshifted, but I wouldn't hold my breath for Confidant and Clique, both of which were recently judge foils, to come back any time soon, especially in a Standard legal set. I think most Modern rares in that price range will instead become selling points one day for FTV sets.
big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR
Don't disrespect my dojo dude...
Sweep the leg!
I traded my Clique for about 7 bucks' worth of commons and uncommons just before the announcement. Oh well.
"I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot
RIP Ari
Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment
You're entirely right.
Make no mistake: they WILL reprint the crap out of those staples, that's a fact. On the other hand you have a writer on CFB, doing a roundup of recent price hikes, that's making people wonder if it's the right time to unload duals. Clearly selling your duals now to buy into Modern (even if the format does get popular) has got to be one of the most retarded pieces of advice ever, all things considered.
I disagree with them reprinting the staples as a fact. Granted this is uncharted territory with Modern likely replacing Extended, but when has WotC ever reprinted something just to keep its price down? I mean how many years have people been begging for reprints of things like Wasteland and Force, hell some people have been waiting for reprints of Force for a decade now. $40+ cards are rare but certainly not unheard of in Standard and this is an Eternal format we are talking about. Once people buy into Modern they don't have to buy back into it every year like Standard or Extended. I think we'll see reprints of expensive cards every once in a while (pretty much like we do now) but to think that WotC is going to rush to reprint everything over $20 in a format that never rotates is actually pretty laughable. I say the lands are all going to get reprinted to shit within the next 2 years and continually from there on out. Lands were the #1 complaint of the price of Legacy, so I think that is where WotC is going to make Modern stand out. I certainly wouldn't put my money on Clique and Confidant being reprinted in the next 2 years, Tarmogoyf is a little different, since he goes in absolutely every green deck and he was future shifted. I think if the lands were cheaper it certainly wouldn't be too much of a stretch to ask people to buy a playset of a $50 card and maybe a playset of $20 cards and the rest of the deck is under $10 a card in an Eternal format.
big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR
Don't disrespect my dojo dude...
Sweep the leg!
Knight of the Reliquary? Stoneforge Mystic? I think it's pretty much expected they will actively reprint Modern staples because it it supposed to be the affordable Eternal format and it doesn't have a reserved list. Whether or not they do reprints in timely fashion, we will see.
Expected by fools. I mean some cards are extremely playable and haven't been reprinted in 12+ years and still are under $50. Also when WotC calls Modern an "affordable" eternal format they are comparing it to Vintage and Legacy, and only because the price of Legacy will continue to climb unchecked. One day an Underground Sea will be worth $200 and Watery Grave will be $10-12, if you have to pay $400 for a playset of Confidants, Thoughtsiezes, and 2-3 Cliques you are still building the most expensive 1/4 of your deck for the price of 2 of the lands in Legacy.
big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR
Don't disrespect my dojo dude...
Sweep the leg!
It reminds me of all the "collectors editions" comics in the 90s.
A friend asked me the other day if I felt bad about not holding onto my rav duals since the new format was comming out. I just laughed and pointed out that for what a playset is going for these days I could buy quite a few real duals.
Time, effort, money. Getting into an eternal format takes at least two. If modern takes off (and thats still a big if imo) it wont be any different.
If Wizards plans to actually support modern with reprints they really need to announce how quickly. Popping the bubble now is going to be a lot less painful than popping it in 6 more months the way things are going.
They won't reprint cards to keep prices down, except Rav duals as one blogger pointed out. They will do this to separate modern from Legacy. Since the Dual lands represent the current problems with modern Legacy. They are attempting to distinguish Modern from Legacy as much as they can. Notice they weakened or banned all the great decks (except zoo) in Modern. They want new archetypes to emerge.
Anyway Here's why they won't rush to reprint Goyf, Confidant, Clique in a nutshell. One word - Money.
Standard is their cash cow. If they made modern "too affordable" then there is no reason to play standard. Think about it. Would you play standard if you could play an affordable modern deck that never rotated.
Modern like legacy is supposed to reward players, who have played the game over the course of years. Remember, Magic is still a "collectible" card game. This might make some of you angry. But Wotc knows that the value of cards is one of the reasons people play and buy cards. Admit it, some part of you jumps for joy when you open a bomb mythic or rare that's worth something on the secondary market.
Modern was created to give Wotc some control over the reserved list and correct their mistakes in fell swoop. In my opinion, Modern is a mistake and they should have supported Legacy, standard and limited. But I digress.
I just traded 4 shocklands and some random EDH stuff for a Revised Tundra and a Karakas. Thank you, Modern.
Asylum EDH: Foil or go home.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)