Brushwagg hit the nail on the head. Spree gets around Pierce and Snare, something INSANELY relevant against the blue SFM decks. You want to kill Batterskull at all costs! Not get run down by counters, and lose for sure.
Spell Snare is already weak against non-Snapcaster builds (which I run), so why would my opponent keep them in? It doesn't hit anything relevant and we get access to Vortex after boarding anyway.
Besides, lots of Stoneblade decks don't play much Snare and our matchup is slightly positive too.
Well, it's usually good to wait for a bargain if you're not in a hurry (even if that bargain is a rare pokemon).
I currently have the Spell Pierces in my SB, though it wouldn't be too difficult to slide them in to the MD and clear more space in my SB. I guess that I'm really just exploring the "aggression" side of this deck at this point, and adding a few more counterspells would really be the best call, generally speaking.
Cheers,
jares
This means of making use of a (potentially) dead card has been suggested before, though I haven't really seen any test results for its inclusion in the MD. It's good to see that it has worked well for you. Pyrokinesis would surely be a good choice in the SB, and would seem to be well-placed in the current meta if inserted in the MD - in fact, I've also been planning to test it in the flex slots that I still have, and might even include [2x].
Cheers,
jares
Thunderous Wrath should either be included or not included in the deck based on its own merits, (taking cantrips into account, of course.) If it requires you to run subpar cards in the maindeck to be worthwhile, then it's not.
I've been playing a much more aggressive list:
Creatures: 12
4 Vexing Devil
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Goblin Guide
Blue: 12
4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Temporal Mastery
Burn: 19
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lava Spike
4 Thunderous Wrath
2 Fireblast
Lands: 18
2 Misty Rainforest
3 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Volcanic Island
3 Mountain
2 Island
So far it's been pretty fast, although I really want to be able to draw more cards as I'm playing them all out too quick haha.
This looks a lot like Burn, the main advantage being the improved card filtering (via Brainstorm and Ponder), with the disadvantage of requiring a non-basic mana base. I'm not too sure that Temporal Mastery would make much of an impact in this configuration, though. How has that card been performing for you? It seems to me that too much (8 Miracle cards) is riding on Brainstorm being available.
Kind Regards,
jares
Played this deck again today. Changed two bad SB cards for two other bad cards, otherwise the same as on last page. Ended up 3-1, but 4-0 was insanely close.
Match 1 - ANT
I keep an agressive hand with no disruption i g1 and lose. In g2 I steal his IT with Surgical Extraction and he cant go off before I kill him. G3 I have, on turn three, two flipped Delvers, 2 Surgical, 1 FoW, 1 Pierce and 1 Snappy in hand with mana up. In-sane.
2-1
Match 2 - BUGr Goodstuff
G1 I ride a Delver to victory like I was playing a tempo deck. G2 double Goyf and bo anti-Goyf-cards in sight. G3 its close and we trade a lot, but I grind out a win.
2-1
Match 3 - UW Stoneblade
G1 I kill him before he does anything. G2 is the same.
2-0
Match 4 - Merfolk
G1 is really tight, he wins with 1 life left. I burned a guy I did not even need to, so that sucked. G2 I crush him with Lavamancer and bolts and pyroblasts. In G3 I mull to 5, but its still very close. He ends on 3 life and four cards does not manage to deliver a bolt.
Could very well have been 4-0 today again. I dont even think the deck feels that good but I just WIN with it. The pure agressiveness of it compensates for weak play I guess :)
I'm going to play burny Ru delver deck in my next tournament and I know for sure that if I want to win it, I'll have to beat Elves player.
I checked this thread how people fight against Elves decks and most of suggestions were related to mass removal, however in my case the problem is that he plays 4x Vengevines in the deck, thus as soon as I sweep the board, he recovers very quickly and lethally.
Have you faced such decks? How do you fight them? I suppose all my hope would be in SB options?
Surgical Extraction seems good here. Snapcaster Mage + Surgical Extraction > Vengevine.
Right on. As a Dredge player, I feel that one of the best advantages of running Snapcaster Mage is being able to maximize Surgical Extraction, and Vengevine would surely have trouble with that.
Cheers,
jares
Instead of Spree, which is sorcery speed and forces you to tap out in your own turn, why don't splash a single Taiga and play Ancient Grudge ? You get to respond to the equip (eventually fetching the taiga and respond again if needed) and possibly timewalk the opp.
Also, what's your opinion on 3-4 Snapcasters? I've been running just 2 and they're fine, I want to keep the non istant non sorcery count at the minimum, while playing at least 3 Grim (they're insane right now and versus certain decks they represent a Delver-level turn 1 threat.) So I cutted 2 of them in favor of the 4th grim and more spells.
Finally, I like maindeck Forked Bolt or Fire/Ice, 2 or 3 of them. Did you test them? what's your opinion on sorcery speed and 1cc vs istant speed, 2 cc and versatility (and also higher blue count if you play sb Fows)? I tend to prefer F/I for the aforementioned reasons.
Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!
The way I see it UR Delver is just a RDW with blue for card filtering and counters. Spree and Ancient Grudge does nothing to reach our goal while Smash to Smithereens does. This also allows us to go for basics and deal one-sided damage with Price of Progress.
I assume you are asking because of equipments. The 2 we should fear most are Jitte and Batterskull because of the lifegain they provide. I like to side in Sulfuric Vortex for these matchups as it deals with both, but I would not solely rely on the Vortex because of Qasali Pridemage (if you are up against a GW/x deck).
This comes down to meta game. While Grim Lavamancer is very strong vs decks like Maverick and other GWx decks it does close to nothing against combo decks. If you are facing combo decks snapcaster into one more spell pierce is better. My deck runsAlso, what's your opinion on 3-4 Snapcasters? I've been running just 2 and they're fine, I want to keep the non istant non sorcery count at the minimum, while playing at least 3 Grim (they're insane right now and versus certain decks they represent a Delver-level turn 1 threat.) So I cutted 2 of them in favor of the 4th grim and more spells.
hi guys,
i play ur delver,
from couple of weeks i started to play 1x temporal mastery, and really, one copy, is very good, sometimes is very good, but sometimes i close the match with it,
really one copy, is very good,
Temporal Mastery needs alot of conditions to be met to be good. Thunderous Wrath needs few, to no (zero) conditions to be good. Explain why and when TM is good for you, and how it's ever better than TW?
Thunderous Wrath, on the other hand, is really really good.
This is the deck I've settled on. U/R Fish is back :)
2 Grim Lavamancer
4 Goblin Guide
4 Delver of Secrets
2 Vexing Devil
3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Force of Will
2 Daze
3 Spell Pierce
4 Brainstorm
3 Ponder
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
3 Thunderous Wrath
3 Volcanic Island
3 Mountain
1 Island
4 Scalding Tarn
3 Bloodstained Mire
3 Wooded Foothills
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Polluted Delta
1 Flooded Strand
I still love Snapcaster Mage. It supports my Counters + Swing gameplan for combo, while providing value against Maverick and Goblins. Spell Pierce is too good right now not to play. Look at all the Sneak+Show, and tell me you don't want Force of Will, Daze, and Spell Pierce. Honestly, I feel combo is too good to beat via speed alone, and you need some interaction. For where I plan to play, it's quite important. I can't decide if I want Pop...
I still think the white splash for Steppe Lynx destroys most of the format. Bring those Pierce's in postboard for combo, just go balls to the wall to win 95% of your matchups. Hell, I race SnT most of the time.
I wouldn't say that it would "destroy" most of the format, but it would surely be a variation that would add a bit more explosiveness (if not inconsistency) to the archetype. In the past, Burn has also tried splashing for white to access Steppe Lynx, and this gimmick did find a few instances of success. It didn't stick in redefining the archetype, though, as the variation didn't prove to be a configuration that could be relied on consistently, especially in a format littered with Stifle and non-basic hate.
Regards,
jares
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)