View Poll Results: Most bannable card in Legacy? (not that they will touch it)

Voters
192. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brainstorm

    16 8.33%
  • Force of Will

    4 2.08%
  • Lion's Eye Diamond

    35 18.23%
  • Counterbalance

    34 17.71%
  • Sensei's Divining Top

    103 53.65%
  • Tarmogoyf

    46 23.96%
  • Phyrexian Dreadnaught

    2 1.04%
  • Goblin Lackey

    4 2.08%
  • Standstill

    6 3.13%
  • Natural Order

    8 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 255 of 1183 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265305355755 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,100 of 23660

Thread: All B/R update speculation.

  1. #5081
    In response: Snapcaster Mage
    catmint's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Posts

    923

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Also agree... the poll is epic and shows you should just chill out - things are changing.
    Currently playing: Elves

  2. #5082
    Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Megadeus's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2012
    Location

    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts

    5,572

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    4)The format would be more diverse without show and tell.
    Well this is very speculative and I doubt anyone can predict for sure what happens to a format given such a major banning. However if you look at the DTB the last couple of months the number of DTB decks is very high (like 10+) and there are tempo, control, midrange, show-combo, storm-combo, thalia,... and many other decks viable. Compare that to the past with Maverick, Stoneblade and Canadian as the only Tier1 decks BY FAR. I think strong combo decks attacking from different angles keep those super consistent "good stuff decks" in check which have a lot more potential of bringing the format to a boring stall. With show gone, storm as the only combo remaining to hate out, the best good-stuff decks can just take over. You won't be able to play naya or some non-blue pet deck once show is gone. Those decks will still lose the much stronger midrange decks.
    To be fair, with Sneak and Show in the Meta, most of those decks have a lot of trouble beating those decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

    If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

  3. #5083

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by catmint View Post
    Also agree... the poll is epic and shows you should just chill out - things are changing.
    To be fair some of the highest voted options are still among the most popular and powerful cards currently too =/ Just ignore the options that seem weirdest and add a few cards from the current dominant archetypes and there ya go.

  4. #5084
    (' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    TheInfamousBearAssassin's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2004
    Location

    Northern Virginia
    Posts

    6,709

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Yes, exactly. That was totally intentional. *whistles nonchalantly*


    Ok, seriously: the reason this thread doesn't get restarted is because, unlike deck threads, it doesn't require a sufficiently recent OP as a resource for new readers. You could have a new poll every X months, but I believe this would only make the level of discussion worse, by injecting popularity arguments into what should be a debate based on knowledge of the format. (If you think the opposite is true, feel free to make your case.)

    Now, the actual reason the 2009 poll is still there is because there is no "remove poll" button in the ordinary moderation options, and I thought it couldn't be removed at all. I only googled just now that the function does in fact exist, buried in a corner of the Admin control panel. But I think dontbiteitholmes actually did put up a reasonable case about the value of keeping it in place, as a reminder to not be too trigger-happy. Thoughts?
    By including such a wide range of options that almost no one even at the time thought should be banned I think it too easily serves as a basis for people to snidely dismiss any suggestion that a card should be banned for any reason, no matter how carefully laid out.

    Contra the suggestion I don't think the vast majority of people are particularly trigger happy. A vocal handful might be but they've never been very successful at influencing others. Rather there are too many arguments of the form or basis that Wizards can do no wrong or the status quo must be correct.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

  5. #5085

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    USA whining/outcry got Survival banned in the first place (yes, it's put rather harshly, but it's not far from truth), let's just not blow into fire anymore then we need to..

    I find the current poll rather amusing as an example of omg, look at all these cards people thought should be banned but look at them now, just another card in tier 1.5 deck.

  6. #5086
    Member
    ShiftyKapree's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2009
    Location

    NEPA
    Posts

    169

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    To be honest I'd like to see Delver banned, I do play the creature but I feel like ever since it was printed is a powerhouse. I just don't like seeing it in every other match in a tournament

  7. #5087
    (' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    TheInfamousBearAssassin's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2004
    Location

    Northern Virginia
    Posts

    6,709

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Also the fact that there was no "nothing" option helps the poll further misrepresent as a case of, "Oh, well, people always want to ban everything so clearly no one who ever says anything is bannable is correct, ever."
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

  8. #5088
    Vintage

    Join Date

    Apr 2005
    Location

    West Coast Degeneracy
    Posts

    5,133

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyKapree View Post
    To be honest I'd like to see Delver banned, I do play the creature but I feel like ever since it was printed is a powerhouse. I just don't like seeing it in every other match in a tournament
    On that reasoning, Deathrite Shaman would also see a ban. Just because a card is powerful and popular, doesn't make it ban-worthy.

    Now imagine if we had a time-out system for those. Card sees too much play? Time out for three months. If it goes to time-out three period in a row (Three months in, three out, three in, three out, three in, three out) then it gets the actual ban. That gives us enough time to evaluate its strength in the metagame, and gives us 18 months to ponder about the problem card. It may lead to some wonky metagame decks however; and that could change the format for the worse.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

  9. #5089
    Vatija Mlohavich
    swoop's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2010
    Location

    Croatia
    Posts

    490

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Unban Skullclamp. It's safe.
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

  10. #5090

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    Unban Skullclamp. It's safe.
    I agree on that. Most creatures that see play today have higher toughness than 1 (see Deathrite Shaman, Stoneforge Mystic, Insectile Abberation) and therefore Scullclamp actually seems somewhat lackluster and I doubt it would see much play besides decks that specifically aim to make use of it.

  11. #5091
    It's not easy being green

    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Posts

    1,635

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    One more issue with Show and Tell, apart from sheer boredom, is how specific the not-mass discard hate has to be. The deck does nothing characteristic of an unfair deck. It doesn't cast expensive spells, it doesn't cast many spells a turn, it doesn't cast spells from unusual locations, or try to put permanents into play from unusual locations. It doesn't try to do the Dredge thing and put it's deck into the graveyard.

    It casts a single three-mana sorcery and puts a creature or enchantment into play from hand. Apart from what the card texts actually say, that's so unassuming mechanically/logistically that little existing hate hits it and that a hate card written for Show and Tell would basically have a ton of splash damage among fair decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

  12. #5092
    In response: Snapcaster Mage
    catmint's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Posts

    923

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    One more issue with Show and Tell, apart from sheer boredom, is how specific the not-mass discard hate has to be. The deck does nothing characteristic of an unfair deck. It doesn't cast expensive spells, it doesn't cast many spells a turn, it doesn't cast spells from unusual locations, or try to put permanents into play from unusual locations. It doesn't try to do the Dredge thing and put it's deck into the graveyard.

    It casts a single three-mana sorcery and puts a creature or enchantment into play from hand. Apart from what the card texts actually say, that's so unassuming mechanically/logistically that little existing hate hits it and that a hate card written for Show and Tell would basically have a ton of splash damage among fair decks.
    What you say is just completely wrong. Besides of Show variants doing everything you claim that show is not doing (which is not the point): Dredge is the prime example of a deck requiring specific sideboard hate (graveyard). Show and tell like other combo decks is hit by the very popular and generic spell pierce (and discard which you mentioned) as well as prime sideboard choices like flusterstorm and red-blast. All cards which can be used to great effect against other decks. Vendilion Clique, Venser, Oblivion Ring and Karakas are other very good examples for cards which hate on show and tell (variants) but are also good against a wide variety of decks. We are not a state where each deck has to play 3-4 specific "show and tell hate cards" like it was for dredge.
    Currently playing: Elves

  13. #5093
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,843

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    Unban Skullclamp. It's safe.
    With Prospector and Krenko it would feel like Food chain goblins again. Hell I can get into that. Totally unfair, crazy if you built a deck with Stoneforge and a token engine. Is it safe to unban? No I don't think so, but it would offer fairer decks a speed boost that they can use to match decks like SnT and ANT.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  14. #5094
    In response: Snapcaster Mage
    catmint's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Posts

    923

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    I think Skullclamp was a troll anyway.
    Currently playing: Elves

  15. #5095
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,533

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    I agree on that. Most creatures that see play today have higher toughness than 1 (see Deathrite Shaman, Stoneforge Mystic, Insectile Abberation) and therefore Scullclamp actually seems somewhat lackluster and I doubt it would see much play besides decks that specifically aim to make use of it.
    Aside from blanking removal, it's the decks that make especially use of it causes problems. Survival wasn't banned for the utility builds either, but because Vengevine caused problems with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    One more issue with Show and Tell, apart from sheer boredom, is how specific the not-mass discard hate has to be. The deck does nothing characteristic of an unfair deck. It doesn't cast expensive spells, it doesn't cast many spells a turn, it doesn't cast spells from unusual locations, or try to put permanents into play from unusual locations. It doesn't try to do the Dredge thing and put it's deck into the graveyard.

    It casts a single three-mana sorcery and puts a creature or enchantment into play from hand. Apart from what the card texts actually say, that's so unassuming mechanically/logistically that little existing hate hits it and that a hate card written for Show and Tell would basically have a ton of splash damage among fair decks.
    Putting 15/15 spagetti monsters or free spells/I-draw-my-library "I WIN" buttons into play is the very definition of unfair.

    One could argue that RUG Delver is a deck close to the unfair spectrum that does borderline unfair things with free/hyper cost-efficient cards, but remains fair in the end because said effects don't do anything broken in particular.

    Which brings up an interesting point: Where does "fair" end and "unfair" start?

  16. #5096

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

    Which brings up an interesting point: Where does "fair" end and "unfair" start?
    Interesting point. But let's not ask wizards for the asnwer, since they will just point out to the "NWO" (current MTG setting) and it's not loong we'll all be playing durdle Modern with better manabase

  17. #5097
    It's not easy being green

    Join Date

    Jul 2010
    Posts

    1,635

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Of course Show and Tell is unfair, given how broken the things that it puts into play are.
    What I was trying to say is that, absent card text, the things SnT does aren't characteristically broken. Like, Canonist is possible because unfair engine decks typically aim to cast many, many spells a turn, which is a thing that "fair" decks usually don't do, or if they want to it's less critical for them, and so on. That a resolved Ad Nauseam is backbreaking is thoroughly irrelevant - it's an expensive spell, and thus likely to do something ridiculous. Same for Natural order or a large Green Sun's Zenith or Blue Sun's for X=ton. You can write hate for it. Casting a single 3 mana spell isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear
    (On Innistrad)
    Yeah, an insanely powerful block which put the "derp!" factor in Legacy completely over the top.

  18. #5098

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Aside from blanking removal, it's the decks that make especially use of it causes problems. Survival wasn't banned for the utility builds either, but because Vengevine caused problems with it.


    Putting 15/15 spagetti monsters or free spells/I-draw-my-library "I WIN" buttons into play is the very definition of unfair.

    One could argue that RUG Delver is a deck close to the unfair spectrum that does borderline unfair things with free/hyper cost-efficient cards, but remains fair in the end because said effects don't do anything broken in particular.

    Which brings up an interesting point: Where does "fair" end and "unfair" start?
    As someone who did balance work for multiple computer games in the past, "unfair" or "imbalanced" is usually when the counterplay options available either require massively higher investment than the play itself or when there's straight up no counterplay available. I don't know if that really translates perfectly to card games since balancing based on individual cards or as 60 card decks is pretty different. And judging by power creep in recent years I'd definitely say WotC doesn't use that rule of thumb to determine if what they're releasing is imbalanced or not.

    Regardless, I think it's a decent place to start from as far as determining fair/unfair. So, are there ample counterplay options? And do those options require a much higher investment in terms of deck space, card advantage, etc?

  19. #5099
    Vatija Mlohavich
    swoop's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2010
    Location

    Croatia
    Posts

    490

    Re: All B/R update speculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    With Prospector and Krenko it would feel like Food chain goblins again. Hell I can get into that. Totally unfair, crazy if you built a deck with Stoneforge and a token engine. Is it safe to unban? No I don't think so, but it would offer fairer decks a speed boost that they can use to match decks like SnT and ANT.
    You mean goblins would be viable and stoneforge isn't too strong now anyways?

    Stoneforge and jitte/batterskull is too strong of a package - it feels mandatory for most midrange decks to pack white and this guy just to be competitive.
    PTT (Formerly of MTT) - We make Champion

  20. #5100
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,843

    Goblins are doing very well without the card, the white splash has helped us quite a large amount.

    I played goblins in onslaught, I have my Skullclamp set still from when it was first printed and I would be happy to out the two together again. Like old lovers, together at last. But I am not sure if it would take off like it did back then.

    Granted though the card pool was not what is is now back then, Abrupt Decay was not a thing, as well as Dredge and whatnot. So it may be balanced. I personally do not think it will be balanced but my affection for the card has not died and I am not against it being set lose.

    That said, goblins would rise again.

    Reread that, came out as almost total junk, anyway posting from a mobile so I can't be bothered to edit.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)