Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: [SCD] True-Name Nemesis

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: [SCD] Identity Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Exactly. Let's not forget that after it got unbanned, Land Tax did manage a few Top 8's at SCG events before dropping off the face of the format.
    This exactly. Remember those terrible land tax miracle lists? They were horrible, but everyone is struggling to shove then in some deck because it's "supposed" to be broken.

Site Contributor

Nov 2009

In SCG:LA, a guy running 3 copies made it to the semis with esper stoneblade:
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=60418

His reasoning for choosing the deck was as follows:
    "Saw variations of Esper doing well in Europe and I felt this list was the best to combat S&S. I didn't even get to play against it today though."

Alas, he lost in the semi finals to a sneak and show deck.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by luckme10 View Post
    In SCG:LA, a guy running 3 copies made it to the semis with esper stoneblade:
    http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=60418

His reasoning for choosing the deck was as follows:
    "Saw variations of Esper doing well in Europe and I felt this list was the best to combat S&S. I didn't even get to play against it today though."

Alas, he lost in the semi finals to a sneak and show deck.
    I don't consider Esper Stoneblade a good deck against Sneak and Show, but I think it's a good deck overall.

I think he should have named Sneak Attack in both G2 and G3 with his Meddling Mage, particularly G2 when he had Karakas in hand. I'm sure he had his reasons to name Show and Tell though.

Splitting time between Legacy, EDH and Alterations
    Sep 2007
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    I don't consider Esper Stoneblade a good deck against Sneak and Show, but I think it's a good deck overall.

I think he should have named Sneak Attack in both G2 and G3 with his Meddling Mage, particularly G2 when he had Karakas in hand. I'm sure he had his reasons to name Show and Tell though.
    If he name Sneak Attack, show and tell can still drop sneak attack into play. I would have named Show and Tell too. Anyway this is the reason I dislike Meddling Mage. Generic stuff like Flusterstorms, Discard and cliques do more work Imo unless you really need the clock from Meddling Mage.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    If he name Sneak Attack, show and tell can still drop sneak attack into play. I would have named Show and Tell too. Anyway this is the reason I dislike Meddling Mage. Generic stuff like Flusterstorms, Discard and cliques do more work Imo unless you really need the clock from Meddling Mage.
    Naming Sneak Attack forces him to have both enablers in order to put Sneak Attack into play, and it takes away a blue card to pitch with Force of Will, which was relevant in game 3 if not game 2. This is especially the case since he had Unexpectedly Absent in his hand both games.

Aug 2011
    San Antonio, TX

I like having new and interesting cards added to the legacy pool but does it have to be yet another blue card?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpei View Post
    This exactly. Remember those terrible land tax miracle lists? They were horrible, but everyone is struggling to shove then in some deck because it's "supposed" to be broken.
    I think this is fairly apt. There's not much difference between unbanning a card and having a new card see print, except the theorycrafting surrounding Land Tax is much older.

I also think that there's a little bit of parsing that needs to be done between these two examples, though. For all the talk of card advantage, card quality, etc etc that people would inject into Land Tax discussions, at the end of the day its effect didn't gel with what a lot of decks were already doing, or didn't make them any better. I'm kind of reaching a little but I would hazard a guess that Land Tax's promise is fulfilled better by Jace the Mind Sculptor, even though it costs 400% more. Granted, the scope of what people wanted to pull off with the old Tax/Rack business is much larger than Jace's, but really the format is already setup to make Jace more favorable; it pitches to Force of Will, it casts Brainstorm which has recognizable synergy with fetchlands - really "Brainstorm-like-effects"/fetchlands is something of a miniature version of the Tax/Rack engine.

That's kind of why I was surprised to see so few Stoneblade-like lists in that recent Top8. If there were an existing deck with the infrastructure to adopt True-Name Nemesis exceptionally well, it seems like it'd be that one. Also there's also not been a chance to really road-test any innovation around TNN either; none of those lists didn't exist without TNN before that tournament.

I'm still of the mindset that the card is exceptionally good, but there are lots of 'good' cards that aren't good anywhere. Like um... Land Tax, I guess. vOv
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2010
    Houston, TX

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I would hazard a guess that Land Tax's promise is fulfilled better by Jace the Mind Sculptor, even though it costs 400% more.
    JTMS costs 4x the amount Land Tax costs, but only 300% more.

Other than that, your analysis seems sound to me.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

The comparison to Land Tax is not especially apt because Land Tax is an engine card that makes such demands upon a deck that it requires the other 56 cards to be chosen specifically for it. The most visible uses of Land Tax just after its availability was to add a single copy to something for a lark or experiment. The "Land Tax" deck never showed up in top 8s. In contrast, True Name Nemesis is simply being plopped into existing decks with little else changed. There is no brewing or brainstorming on how to make it work, save perhaps some playtesting. From this vantage point, I would expect a lot of people to be trying it out compared to Land Tax. I also expect that this is a card that is excellent on some days and gets sided out often in others. It will likely be a weather bell for the format. I don't see the argument ending any time soon belittling how powerful it is, no matter what the tournament results. But a rapid adoption could make the naysayers moot.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomLotus View Post
    JTMS costs 4x the amount Land Tax costs, but only 300% more.

Other than that, your analysis seems sound to me.
    You know what? Fuck math. My computer says 4 = 3 because myArrayOfShit[3] = the fourth item I put in there. The fuck, right? Computers are insane.

I'm kidding. Early morning post is early. Thanks for the red pen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

this card is good only with Equipments, which calls for SFM, which calls Batterskull and Jitte

Batterskull is already good on its own. It chump blocks nearly anything and attacks too (the new merfolk doesn't).
    Jitte is big on anything and GST is in colors too...

Don't know how much this card is needed right now and in which deck..

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

After seeing it in action a bit, I think the card is solid, abd to some decks very difficult to beat, but obviously worse vs other decks. I see it as a played card. Not super heavy play, but I think it will see a should amount of play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

yes as a 3x in a SFM based deck.. making it to weild a SoFI is definitly solid.. or better, that's where my fantasy stops

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I echo others sentiments that it won't be a archetype defining creature like Stoneforge Mystic, Deathrite Shaman, etc, but it'll be a nice complement/supplement as a 1-3x of in a smattering of decks like Grim Lavamancer, Vendilion Clique, Snapcaster Mage, etc.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I think what people keep forgetting is that this guy is a Merfork.

Merfolk is great against blue because they cant block it. Now this guy is unblockable whatever your opponent is playing.

Also, it blocks Goyfs all day. Remember the days when Merfolk splashed green for Goyf?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    yes as a 3x in a SFM based deck.. making it to weild a SoFI is definitly solid.. or better, that's where my fantasy stops
    I played two Nemesis in my UWr Blade list. Won me a few games. Once equipped with Jitte or Batterskull, it's GG.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

I think decks which naturally support Golgari Charm like Black Maverick, The Rock, BUG and others could see more play when this guy appears more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Quattro View Post
    I like having new and interesting cards added to the legacy pool but does it have to be yet another blue card?
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    Haven't you heard? The default color for cards being designed is blue. They have to remember to change the color when finishing the card.
    Especially, because giving protection from something is inherently White's ability.

Quote Originally Posted by JanoschEausH View Post
    Especially, because giving protection from something is inherently White's ability.
    Just a printing/management error, now buy more packs and play Standard/Modern!

Thread Information