Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 246

Thread: The future of Legacy?

  1. #121

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    It's not surprising that Legacy is seeing a a slow death of support from Wizards and Starcitygames. There's simply no real financial incentive to continue to pander to the Legacy community. Wizards has clearly determined in their focus group research that Limited and Standard are the most enjoyable formats for the casual player, and Wizards makes the most money catering to the casual player, so they focus their support on formats that appeal to the casual player. There's just nothing you can really do about it at this point, short of turning Wizards/Hasbro into non-profit organizations.
    The problem is that everything you gave as a reason for them not supporting Legacy is a reason for them to not support Modern, and they've been supporting that (if not as much as some Modern players would like). In fact, from what I've heard, they actually really want there to be a format for Standard players to swap over to when they lose interest with Standard, as usually happens after a while. After all, that player who sticks around to play another format is a person who's still playing Magic and thus is more likely to possibly return to Standard at some point.

    No, the reason is, was, and always will be the Reserved List. The higher-ups have apparently decreed it's here to stay, so that instantly put a real crimp on Legacy that's really starting to show right now. Modern doesn't have the problem of the Reserved List, so it doesn't have the issue of its growth being limited (their annoying lack of reprints is a bit of a limiting factor, but that's still not as problematic as the Reserved List).

  2. #122
    Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Phoenix Ignition's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2008
    Location

    Minneapolis MN
    Posts

    2,287

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    (their annoying lack of reprints is a bit of a limiting factor, but that's still not as problematic as the Reserved List).
    And really I don't think there's been that annoying of a lack of reprints, same as many others. I see so many complaints when there's a new Modern Masters set and they didn't put something like Blood Moon in it so everyone freaks out. Well they did put a crapton of other stuff in there, like Bitterblossom, bob, Elesh Norn, Emrakul, Iona, Karn, Kiki-Jiki, Kozilek, Mox Opal, Prime Time, Tarmogoyf, Ulamog, Vendilion Clique, Cryptic Command, Noble Hierarch, and the list goes on. That's just in the most recent printing of modern masters as well.

    Yeah it sucks that Blood Moon spiked in price because of the lack of being printed, but there were SO MANY CARDS that are highly sought after that they did reprint. They're bound to miss a few in each print cycle, and people don't need to freak out about it. Damnation shouldn't be a 50 dollar card, but at least Noble Hierarch, who is used in way more decks, is still under 40.

    The fact that they're not willing to completely nuke the market with reprints while still increasing the number of cards out there is really promising for the format. That's just not the case for Legacy and shelling out $250+ is ridiculous to ask of people for a single dual land.

  3. #123
    Clergyman of Cool
    lordofthepit's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2009
    Location

    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
    Posts

    1,954

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    LOL our local Legacy weekly just had 48 players and three video coordinators. On a fucking non-holiday Monday night.

  4. #124

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    LOL our local Legacy weekly just had 48 players and three video coordinators. On a fucking non-holiday Monday night.
    Seattle right? Where else could this happen...

  5. #125
    Clergyman of Cool
    lordofthepit's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2009
    Location

    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
    Posts

    1,954

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Seattle right? Where else could this happen...
    Correct

  6. #126
    Happy Troll
    chris_acheson's Avatar
    Join Date

    May 2009
    Location

    Rochester, NY
    Posts

    55

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by MechTactical View Post
    I really don’t see how legacy is more expensive than any other hobby / sport. I bought a cross country bike for 3k and I bought my cards for 3k, what’s all the fuss about? Do I bitch because my bike set me back 3k? No It’s a fun bike and I like it.
    No comment in particular about the future of Legacy here, but you can enjoy your bike just fine on your own. Your Legacy deck? Not really enjoyable without other people to play with.
    Death to the Reserved List. Long live Legacy.

    Cockatrice name: dunkelzahn

  7. #127
    Say no to creatures.

    Join Date

    May 2013
    Posts

    387

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_acheson View Post
    No comment in particular about the future of Legacy here, but you can enjoy your bike just fine on your own. Your Legacy deck? Not really enjoyable without other people to play with.

    Goldfishing TinFins or High Tide can be pretty fun without other people. It can be especially fun without some guy huffing and puffing across the table. Lol
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

  8. #128
    Ooh... Shiny!

    Join Date

    Aug 2005
    Location

    Raincouver
    Posts

    694

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    As someone who's been registered on here since before Portal was legal in Legacy, I've seen the format go from people barely playing it, to the Legacy boom, to SCG Opens, to $100 Seas killing Legacy, to $200 Seas killing Legacy, and finally to $300 Seas killing Legacy.

    Legacy won't ever 'die'. I mean, people still play Vintage ffs. But the boom is over, and very soon Legacy will be to most players what Vintage is right now. A relic, an old format full of broken and expensive stuff.

    That said, it will also get cheaper. Underground Seas are closing for under $200 on eBay. Its been years since they've hit that price. Stuff from AN/AQ and Legends probably won't fall much. Then again, I know of people hoarding Tabernacles, so if they decide to sell, there's no telling what the market will do.

    Finally, Wizards disappointed me greatly in 2010 with the qhole Reserved List clusterfuck. It was the right choice for them, in hindsight, but that was what put an expiration date on the format. Modern just was the nail in the coffin.

    Speaking of Modern, Legacy was created when there were 11 years worth of Magic sets. Modern now has 12 years of Magic sets...

    Gentlemen, it's been an honor and a pleasure. I'm sure we'll see each other in small tournaments in Vancouver or Seattle, where we'll reminisce about the good old days of Legacy.

  9. #129
    Zombie Elf Warrior
    danyul's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2004
    Location

    seattle
    Posts

    966

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    @ Mr. C - I don't mean to be an alarmist or whatever, but I'm basically in the same place. The format isn't as interesting anymore and I've found myself almost resenting my Legacy stuff since it's just a bunch of money sitting in a box doing nothing. And even when I bust it out to battle, things just aren't as fun anymore. I'll probably sell out after GP Seattle and go about life as a true muggle. It couldn't be that bad, right?

    Edit: does my reading comprehension suck right now? Maybe you weren't even being a Debbie Downer like me. Oh well. I like the youtube clip.

    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

  10. #130

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Selling out a collection is a hazardous endeavor. We have all heard the stories of people selling only to buy back in again some time later. It might be months or years, but it happens a lot.

    I don't think the situation warrants such drastic action. Look at Vintage. That's absolutely the worst that could possibly happen, and there's no way things will ever get that bad because there are so many more copies of the necessary cards in circulation already.

    The format might not even shrink in the near-term. I'm in the middle of a visit back to the US, and I played down at the LGS last week. They had way more people there than they used to when I lived around here about 1-2 years ago, up to 26 from an average of 10-15. It's an awesome time to be playing, but perhaps that's because I've long since stopped worrying and learned to love the blue.

  11. #131
    Zombie Elf Warrior
    danyul's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2004
    Location

    seattle
    Posts

    966

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    I sold the bulk of my collection a year or so ago already. This would just be the final blow. And it's not due to one or two little problems with the format. I think I'm just tired of Magic right now. I should see a therapist instead of posting on internet forums, huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lormador View Post
    It's an awesome time to be playing, but perhaps that's because I've long since stopped worrying and learned to love the blue.
    I don't play blue so that probably explains everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    was greg mitchells hair ever on camera?
    Elves Discord Channel: https://discord.gg/2EVsdw2

  12. #132
    !
    jrsthethird's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2010
    Location

    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts

    1,654

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    And really I don't think there's been that annoying of a lack of reprints, same as many others. I see so many complaints when there's a new Modern Masters set and they didn't put something like Blood Moon in it so everyone freaks out. Well they did put a crapton of other stuff in there, like Bitterblossom, bob, Elesh Norn, Emrakul, Iona, Karn, Kiki-Jiki, Kozilek, Mox Opal, Prime Time, Tarmogoyf, Ulamog, Vendilion Clique, Cryptic Command, Noble Hierarch, and the list goes on. That's just in the most recent printing of modern masters as well.

    Yeah it sucks that Blood Moon spiked in price because of the lack of being printed, but there were SO MANY CARDS that are highly sought after that they did reprint. They're bound to miss a few in each print cycle, and people don't need to freak out about it. Damnation shouldn't be a 50 dollar card, but at least Noble Hierarch, who is used in way more decks, is still under 40.

    The fact that they're not willing to completely nuke the market with reprints while still increasing the number of cards out there is really promising for the format. That's just not the case for Legacy and shelling out $250+ is ridiculous to ask of people for a single dual land.
    The thing is though, reprinting staples doesn't actually lower the cost of the format. As the reprinted cards go down, the staples that weren't reprinted spike in value, and generally keep the majority of that boost.

    SaffronOlive at MTGGoldfish wrote a great article on this about a month ago: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/...six-months-ago

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloshthedark View Post
    Seattle right? Where else could this happen...
    Soon enough you'll have a small army of Legacy players ready to storm Renton and demand some change!

  13. #133
    Member
    GenghisTom's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2008
    Location

    Seattle, WA
    Posts

    97

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Honestly, it's an anomaly Legacy was able to reach the size it did.
    Legacy and Vintage shouldn't be large formats due to the availability of cards and the particular taste one has to have to want to play it.
    We should be lucky (or unlucky) that Legacy ever got this big in the first place. I've always been expecting it to settle back down to the original levels.

    I don't post much, but I've been a source lurker for quite some time and I remember the days when Legacy was very small and we all secretly knew it was the better format and were in a way happy it wasn't "mainstream".
    At this point I don't care what happens to Legacy in terms of SCG opens and GP. I don't need large tournaments to enjoy the game (then again, I'm also enjoying the fruitful scene we have here in Seattle so...)

  14. #134

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    A broken clock is right twice a day
    But will you be saying this a year from now?

  15. #135

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Legacy could never reach the same level of Standard/Modern due to availability issues obviously... I don't see any reason to believe the format will "die" though... Its an incredibly fun format with a diverse number of decks. Hell... Aggro Loam just put multiple copies in the top of a GP... who saw that coming...

    WOTC has no real reason to reduce support of the format any further... tossing us a bone of 1 -2 GPs a year is all they need to do to not piss off people... so I doubt that will change.

    If SCG reduces support any more.... (it is still played every weekend in some capacity) that will probably reduce card prices by decreasing demand... If the demand ever dipped to where prices were really low... some other retailer or SCG again would be incentivized to increase support of the format to respike the prices of the cards...

    I think the format is settling in to its post boom role. It will never be a premiere format... but if your like me and want a format that you can play competitively a half dozen weekends a year and then play with your friends 1-2 times a week without risk of huge card price devaluations.... well legacy is that format, and I doubt that will ever change in the foreseeable future.

  16. #136

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Negators always have the shrillest voices. The silent majority are playing, not posting, and basking in Legacy love. Lot of scenes, not just Seattle, growing or thriving. FACT

  17. #137

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by LOLWut View Post
    Negators always have the shrillest voices. The silent majority are playing, not posting, and basking in Legacy love. Lot of scenes, not just Seattle, growing or thriving. FACT
    I'm very tempted to agree as this is also my "gut-feeling".

    However, I'd be interested in an objective indicator of Legacy's popularity to examine the validity of this stated "FACT". The best objective indicator I can come up with is price development of Legacy(/Vintage)-only cards. Unfortunately, I'm not in the mood to conduct such an analysis but if I had to guess, I'd say that on average prices have been rising by a significant margin in every year since the format's inception.

  18. #138

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_acheson View Post
    No comment in particular about the future of Legacy here, but you can enjoy your bike just fine on your own. Your Legacy deck? Not really enjoyable without other people to play with.
    I have no comment about the future of legacy because i have no legacy past. And I’m guessing that's a common sentiment shared by new players on the subject. We didn't see the "glory days" etc etc and because of that we are not burdened by the future of legacy. Maybe if we'll play the format for a decade we will eventually get very grumpy and aggravated with it and just sell out, like many of you are doing now.

    I can go to a couple of small tournaments yearly in my vicinity and one bigger event reasonably close. That’s more than enough for me as I’m quite busy with work and other stuff – you know how things start to turn after 30… So basically my magic time is precious as there is very little of it. I’ll rather use that time to play a true eternal format than playing against justin bieber type fellas popping up in lesser formats. besides that I like jamming my dual lands into any causal deck for the local kitchen tables…

  19. #139

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    There has always been grumpy players in Legacy, and there always will be. The format is just fine, but it is getting increasingly difficult to attract new Legacy players like you, because of the increasingly high prices on format staples, caused by speculation, which is a direct result of the reserved list promise to never reprint the cards on the list.

  20. #140
    Say no to creatures.

    Join Date

    May 2013
    Posts

    387

    Re: The future of Legacy?

    The problem some people on this thread seem to be having is called burn out. Give it 6 months, you'll feel the itch again.

    Having said that I think the metagame is fucking stale and boring. People tune out. Also having weekly SCG coverage was something keeping people tuned in, so not having that is also a minor factor. Prices have been higher than this so I don't think that's a factor. There is an overall sense that Legacy is declining because people feel bored and fed up with the format. It's just that boring.
    Legacy: Rituals
    Vintage: Drains

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)