Page 149 of 228 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 4544

Thread: [Deck] Aggro Loam

  1. #2961

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by dmkay View Post
    What would you cut for them and why? I'd rather have Bob than revoker as my default 2-drop creature and you can't tutor up revoker like you can ooze, teeg, deathrite, etc. Is there something in your meta that makes maindecking them appealing?
    Ive cut liliana for testing, since it would turn off my own if i name her.

    I run into storm, miracles, d&t, bug, lands, ur delver mainly.

    So far, ive always had something to name and will usually eat a removal spell instead of bob/knight.

    Storm, naming led with chalice @1 is solid.
    Miracles, naming top.
    D&t, naming whatever applies at the time, usually vial or mom.
    Bug, drs, liliana, jace
    Lands, stage, maze, port

    Still in the process of testing.

  2. #2962
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2010
    Location

    London & Helsinki
    Posts

    27

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by willydoo View Post
    Ive cut liliana for testing, since it would turn off my own if i name her.

    I run into storm, miracles, d&t, bug, lands, ur delver mainly.

    So far, ive always had something to name and will usually eat a removal spell instead of bob/knight.

    Storm, naming led with chalice @1 is solid.
    Miracles, naming top.
    D&t, naming whatever applies at the time, usually vial or mom.
    Bug, drs, liliana, jace
    Lands, stage, maze, port

    Still in the process of testing.
    Revoker can't name lands. Mox Diamond and Molten Vortex are your only targets there.

  3. #2963

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by dmkay View Post
    What should be our plan against Miracles? Try to jam threats as quickly as possible? In games 2/3, do we need to aggressively mulligan for chalices to keep top offline?

    In my list below, I'm siding in Reclamation Sage, Garruk, Sigarda, and Choke, but I'm not really sure what I should be bringing out.

    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Abrupt Decay
    2 Life from the Loam
    3 Punishing Fire
    1 Sylvan Library
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Badlands
    1 Barren Moor
    2 Bayou
    1 Forest
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith
    1 Savannah
    1 Scrubland
    1 Taiga
    2 Tranquil Thicket
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Windswept Heath
    SB: 2 Thoughtseize
    SB: 1 Garruk Relentless
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Choke
    SB: 2 Golgari Charm
    SB: 1 Reclamation Sage
    SB: 2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 3 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
    The general sentiment is Mox Diamond is a safe card to board out (maybe 2), and you probably don't need all your punishing fires either (though obviously if they are on a mentor miracle build you probably don't want to trim p fire, it depends). As always don't allow yourself to get blown out by Terminus, I would stick a single threat and make them answer it. Only exception would be if I already resolved Teeg I would obviously play more creatures. Be careful to allow your Teeg to get ambush viper'd by a snapcaster mage / Vendilion Clique.

    Quote Originally Posted by willydoo View Post
    Any thoughts towards running a number of revokers maindeck?
    Doesn't seem that great TBH. No way to tutor for it, and not really able to run enough of them to just rely on drawing them, and not super impactful in every match up when drawn.

  4. #2964
    get outta here, humanity.
    iamajellydonut's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2009
    Location

    Butugychag
    Posts

    2,031

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    ]and you probably don't need all your punishing fires either (though obviously if they are on a mentor miracle build you probably don't want to trim p fire, it depends).
    Mainboard cards like Abrupt Decay or sideboard tech like Engineered Plague are actual answers to Monastery Mentor whereas Punishing Fire more resembles a really expensive wet pool noodle. That being said, standard is to leave in two Punishing Fires. They're still one of your only answers against an established Jace and they help protect Liliana and your creatures from said Ambush Vipers.

    Quote Originally Posted by willydoo View Post
    So far, ive always had something to name and will usually eat a removal spell instead of bob/knight.
    The same can be said of many other cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    tits.

  5. #2965

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by iamajellydonut View Post
    Mainboard cards like Abrupt Decay or sideboard tech like Engineered Plague are actual answers to Monastery Mentor whereas Punishing Fire more resembles a really expensive wet pool noodle. That being said, standard is to leave in two Punishing Fires. They're still one of your only answers against an established Jace and they help protect Liliana and your creatures from said Ambush Vipers.
    Perhaps I should cut a golgari charm for an engineered plague in my board then. How do you feel about the cards I typically bring in? Standard? Do you agree w/ rlesko's general game plan as well?

  6. #2966
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2010
    Location

    Ansbach, Germany
    Posts

    65

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    There is no way that you can mulligan for a fast chalice. As allready mentioned, do not overextend into Terminus.But it is definitely possible to play a second threat, especially if you also have a different type of hate, like Liliana or Library. One creature can be tricky sometimes because of Jace-Bounce and taking over the game.

    Here are the cards you should cut:
    2 Mox Diamonds
    1 Punishing fire
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Maze of Ith

    With this sideboarding Rest in Peace can be ignored a lot of the time. Which means they are down a card when they play it.
    The cards you want to bring in are correct, also add the Thalias.
    Thalia is especially strong with your own Karakas to protect it.

  7. #2967
    Member
    Pilhas's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2013
    Location

    Portugal
    Posts

    388

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by schniggaz View Post
    There is no way that you can mulligan for a fast chalice. As allready mentioned, do not overextend into Terminus. It is definitely possible to play a second threat, especially if you have a different type of hate, like Liliana or Library. One creature can be tricky sometimes because of Jace-Bounce and taking over the game.

    Here are the cards you should cut:
    2 Mox Diamonds
    1 Punishing fire
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Maze of Ith

    With this sideboarding Rest in Peace can be ignored a lot of the time. Which means they are down a card when they play it.
    The cards you want to bring in are correct, also add the Thalias.
    Thalia is especially strong with your own Karakas to protect it.
    I cut an extra PFire, but I am a mighty rebel

  8. #2968

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by willydoo View Post
    Ive cut liliana for testing, since it would turn off my own if i name her.

    I run into storm, miracles, d&t, bug, lands, ur delver mainly.

    So far, ive always had something to name and will usually eat a removal spell instead of bob/knight.

    Storm, naming led with chalice @1 is solid.
    Miracles, naming top.
    D&t, naming whatever applies at the time, usually vial or mom.
    Bug, drs, liliana, jace
    Lands, stage, maze, port

    Still in the process of testing.
    Seems too redundant with the package we already have in the maindeck. Between p fire and chalice, we already have answers to all of these things I think. You can't just count "eating a removal spell" as a plus. Basically every single creature in our deck eats removal spells because they're all legit threats and you end up having to cut one of those threats to make room for the revokers in the first place.

  9. #2969

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Hi all,

    Some friends over at the Leaving a Legacy podcast invited me on to talk about this deck and my experience with it at the SCG NJ open.

    Since we spend almost the entirety of the show discussing the deck, I thought some of you might find it interesting.

    Link: http://mtgcast.com/mtgcast-podcast-s...k-with-no-name

    Tom

  10. #2970
    The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Seraphix's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2014
    Location

    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts

    283

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by willydoo View Post
    Any thoughts towards running a number of revokers maindeck?
    I would never maindeck it here but I've played one in my board for a while and its been great.

    Quote Originally Posted by schniggaz View Post
    There is no way that you can mulligan for a fast chalice. As allready mentioned, do not overextend into Terminus.But it is definitely possible to play a second threat, especially if you also have a different type of hate, like Liliana or Library. One creature can be tricky sometimes because of Jace-Bounce and taking over the game.

    Here are the cards you should cut:
    2 Mox Diamonds
    1 Punishing fire
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Maze of Ith

    With this sideboarding Rest in Peace can be ignored a lot of the time. Which means they are down a card when they play it.
    The cards you want to bring in are correct, also add the Thalias.
    Thalia is especially strong with your own Karakas to protect it.
    I sometimes cut Ooze against Miracles but always wonder if its correct given that it can make Snapcaster Mage a bit awkward.

    Quote Originally Posted by dmkay View Post
    Perhaps I should cut a golgari charm for an engineered plague in my board then. How do you feel about the cards I typically bring in? Standard? Do you agree w/ rlesko's general game plan as well?
    I usually bring in one Golgari Charm against Miracles. Decay feels heavily taxed in the matchup with he addition of Mentor so having an extra Demystify for CB/RIP/Moon is handy, plus Shrivel deals with their Wizards (or Monk tokens if you're lucky).

    I'm not a fan of Engineered Plague myself. It is narrow and not even particularly good against what it wants to do. The fact that Elves, a deck of mostly X/1 Elves, can beat it without much difficulty is telling.

  11. #2971

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Keeping in Scooze seems bad. If it is active and they have a snap and we have a mana, it turns that line off, but more often it is just a bear. Not a lot of creatures go to the yard in general in that matchup, and chalice largely protects us from snap already, as the majority of cards they will want to rebuy cost 1. So there isn't a lot that it is doing in the matchup.

    I've played 2 revokers in the board for 3 years so far. Replacing them briefly at the tail end of DTT era with canonists. They are awesome cards, but I would not play them main. I'm happy to go on the D&T plan post-board, but that isn't what we wanna be doing by default.

    Against the field, Deluge is better than Engineered Plague. Against miracles where you don't want Deluge, sulphur elemental doubles as a threat, is uncounterable, and is weak to exactly STP which is overloaded and chaliced.

    By the way, are there people who know what they are doing that still play Slaughter Games? I haven't seen anyone say good things about is ever besides "this beats omni" and "you can maybe snipe a miracles player by naming entreat and if they are on that plan and jace is bad then yay". I'm paraphrasing of course.

  12. #2972
    Pancake
    Bobmans's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2012
    Location

    Netherlands
    Posts

    845

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by apocolyps6 View Post
    By the way, are there people who know what they are doing that still play Slaughter Games? I haven't seen anyone say good things about is ever besides "this beats omni" and "you can maybe snipe a miracles player by naming entreat and if they are on that plan and jace is bad then yay". I'm paraphrasing of course.
    I play 2 or 3 Slaughter Games in my JUND NicFit list. This card is a house against Miracles, Storm and S&T (obviously), but even in a mana ramping deck it can be to slow before ever resolving one. But if you do get to resolve this card against those decks it is usually game. Also NicFit runs some solid discard, so this enhances the effect. Miracles nowadays runs more creatures and Mentor, so relying on SG alone in this MU won't work. Resolving SG against Storm is game. That said, i automatically included this card knowing this, but after reading how people find the card and the comment you gave me the other day i realize that SG is probably to slow for this deck, plus there are no real cards to enhance the effect (discard/extraction). Last, Gaddock Teeg is a better choice and conflicts with SG.

    Also, finally i have received the last cards needed to play this deck today. Coming weekend i will probably get my ass kicked, but looking forward to actually playing this.
    And working to further completing the collection in Japanese, but funds are drying up AND i am also working on Mono U Dream Halls, so it will have to do for now.

    Main


    Manabase


    Sideboard
    Kagu-Tsuchi カグツチ (Jund NicFit)
    Rhino's Abbondanza (Junk NicFit)
    4c Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    How about: ramp into Deed, clear the board, and bash your opponent's head in.

  13. #2973

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    I'm really considering giving painful truths a try in place of one of the extra fetch lands, anyone have any luck or experience using this card as a one of? Was dismissed originally but feels very strong, but I wouldn't want to cut something like Sylvan library because i am wanting to add to our drawing power. On the other hand I'm not sure if this deck really needs more CA or not... But i guess it's never a bad thing.

    Another card I was thinking of trying was volraths stronghold but I might be trying to get too cute. Just been lots of times I'd have loved to return gaddock teeg or scooze... The stage + DD combo is the last thing I was considering but to fit them both I might have to cut something like maze of ith, not sure I want to do that. Anyone still on the combo plan? How's been your play testing been?

    Anyways couldn't sleep, so some random ideas :)

  14. #2974
    Member
    Manipulato's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2013
    Location

    Kempten, Germany
    Posts

    467

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by RhoxWarMonk View Post
    I'm really considering giving painful truths a try in place of one of the extra fetch lands, anyone have any luck or experience using this card as a one of? Was dismissed originally but feels very strong, but I wouldn't want to cut something like Sylvan library because i am wanting to add to our drawing power. On the other hand I'm not sure if this deck really needs more CA or not... But i guess it's never a bad thing.

    Another card I was thinking of trying was volraths stronghold but I might be trying to get too cute. Just been lots of times I'd have loved to return gaddock teeg or scooze... The stage + DD combo is the last thing I was considering but to fit them both I might have to cut something like maze of ith, not sure I want to do that. Anyone still on the combo plan? How's been your play testing been?

    Anyways couldn't sleep, so some random ideas :)
    Pilhas played with it as a 1off and has experience with it...
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

  15. #2975
    Member
    Pilhas's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2013
    Location

    Portugal
    Posts

    388

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Painful Truths has been very good for me, I suggested cutting the second Library in the list if you run it.
    The list is really tight so it is difficult to make cuts.
    Would also argue to try to make the manabase stable, most of the games I have been losing are from mana problems(missing the right mana/lands that do nothing/wastelands+ports).

  16. #2976

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilhas View Post
    Painful Truths has been very good for me, I suggested cutting the second Library in the list if you run it.
    The list is really tight so it is difficult to make cuts.
    Would also argue to try to make the manabase stable, most of the games I have been losing are from mana problems(missing the right mana/lands that do nothing/wastelands+ports).
    Thanks for your post, I must have missed where you talked about painful truths. The library does make some sense but I don't know if I can cut the library lol so so good. As you said, very hard to make cuts because the deck list is so tight.

    As for the second comment, I assume you advocate not running the combo? Any advice on how to smooth out the mana base? I was thinking maybe a one of urborg could be helpful.. Been thinking about that without the combo actually, just so I have less mana issues in general. Hate that it helps my opponent in some cases though...

  17. #2977
    Member
    Manipulato's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2013
    Location

    Kempten, Germany
    Posts

    467

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by RhoxWarMonk View Post
    Thanks for your post, I must have missed where you talked about painful truths. The library does make some sense but I don't know if I can cut the library lol so so good. As you said, very hard to make cuts because the deck list is so tight.

    As for the second comment, I assume you advocate not running the combo? Any advice on how to smooth out the mana base? I was thinking maybe a one of urborg could be helpful.. Been thinking about that without the combo actually, just so I have less mana issues in general. Hate that it helps my opponent in some cases though...
    Only non-manaproducing lands are cuttable in my opinion, no duals, no fetches...Everything else it possible but even here we have so many goodies which we want (Wastelands, Karakas, Arbor, Maze etc...).

    I talked to alot of people who played the deck and most of them are no fans of the DD/Stage combo in this deck, I personally play it without the combo just because I want to have a solid manabase...
    Currently playing
    Eldrazi

  18. #2978
    Member
    Pilhas's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2013
    Location

    Portugal
    Posts

    388

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by RhoxWarMonk View Post
    Thanks for your post, I must have missed where you talked about painful truths. The library does make some sense but I don't know if I can cut the library lol so so good. As you said, very hard to make cuts because the deck list is so tight.

    As for the second comment, I assume you advocate not running the combo? Any advice on how to smooth out the mana base? I was thinking maybe a one of urborg could be helpful.. Been thinking about that without the combo actually, just so I have less mana issues in general. Hate that it helps my opponent in some cases though...
    I cut the library because 2 of them in hand are super awkward. But I can perfectly see the reason for running it instead of Painful Truths.

    I love the combo on the deck because it gives you a edge against combo to finish the game fast. However, since it damage the manabase I am not running it.
    To run the combo I would say that a Urborg is probably a right card for the deck.
    Without the combo I ended up running only 2 cycle lands and upping the dual count. Currently running 6 fetchs + 7 duals + 1 basic. Thinking on swapping the 7th dual for a basic swamp but not sure yet

  19. #2979

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    It basically comes down to:

    Marit Lage
    A reasonable manabase
    1BB Spells.

    Choose 2

    Personally, Marit Lage has won me more games than lili would ever have. You can make your deck grinder to fight the grindy decks and sacrifice speed against tempo or hate against combo or whatever, or you could just switch to a different axis and Lage them. Unpopular opinion.

    Also, I'd sooner cut a Sensei's Top from miracles than cut a Library from this deck.

  20. #2980

    Re: [Deck] Aggro Loam

    Quote Originally Posted by apocolyps6 View Post
    It basically comes down to:

    Marit Lage
    A reasonable manabase
    1BB Spells.

    Choose 2

    Personally, Marit Lage has won me more games than lili would ever have. You can make your deck grinder to fight the grindy decks and sacrifice speed against tempo or hate against combo or whatever, or you could just switch to a different axis and Lage them. Unpopular opinion.

    Also, I'd sooner cut a Sensei's Top from miracles than cut a Library from this deck.
    Are you running one or two libraries?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)