Brainstorm
Force of Will
Lion's Eye Diamond
Counterbalance
Sensei's Divining Top
Tarmogoyf
Phyrexian Dreadnaught
Goblin Lackey
Standstill
Natural Order
Rituals are only played in combo decks that want to win before t4. One of the few rules Wizards has for Modern is 'We don't want decks to win before t4.'
So..yes, bad-rituals are too good for modern. They have no purpose other than to fuel decks that the rest of the format doesn't have the cards to interact with.
www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!
Join us at Facebook!
Wild Nacatl hasn't been banned for a while now but w/e.
Still hoping for Survival, Twist, Earthcraft, Jar unban. Put Recruiter and Bargain there for good measure too. Frantic is probably unbannable too but i haven't tested it like ever. If we can't kill BS, at least let me play TnT again.
Is Bargain even as good as Griselbrand?
So, Frantic Search has not seen much of any action for quite some time. But I recall it being legal in Standard and Extended. In Combo Winter, this was the card that did the grunt work to get you up to Spiral mana way early after a single High Tide. It somehow stayed legal in Extended for an unreasonable amount of time. Just before its banning, I recall that by, I think Invasion, we were just building decks designed to abuse this one card while it lasted because it is both a filter and mana accelerant. It did not last much longer.
Turnabout does nearly exactly what this card does except that it costs one more and it does not dig for two. And it is quite useful in Tide. I'm not saying that the card is broken, I just want to make sure we are all talking about the same thing here.
"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
"Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
"Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
"Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."
On overall, NO. Griselbrand is a wincondition and combo piece in one card. It allows design space in a deck to go full control while enabling the card to exploit it full potential. Bargain on the other hand has a more controlled draw ability, which can make a difference in specific combo decks.
I can attest that even in mediocre garbage casual you can go off T2 or T3 due to Frantic Search (High Tide) just because it sifts and ramps. It's like a *really bad* Spiral. But.. a really bad Spiral is still Spirals 5-8.
IMO, given we already have more powerful storm variants that go off T1 and T2 if they want, it's not a problem... at least in High Tide.
It's quite possible that SneakShow, Storm, or Reanimator could find a better deck with the card.
Even so.. I could be fine with that.
I'd think it's *much* better than spiral in a format that has limited lands in play and cards like Past in Flames and Snapcaster Mage which make cards in the graveyard valuable.
I can honestly say Earthcraft is easily the safest to come off, and next most are Survival and Mind Twist. I'd prefer to have nothing banned.
-Matt
Banning twin would definitely qualify as embarrassing.
Amulet Titan was ridiculous by Modern's Standards. I'm more suprised they didn't ban anything sooner.
I hate Twin, so I'm totally okay with the ban.
Also, they just deleted the Reddit thread regarding the topic, so it seems likely it was leaked info after all.
"We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."
So, since people are debating the Modern ban list here is the consensus no changes for Legacy?
Wouldn't it be funny if it was a WotC employee that did that just to see the kind of reaction the masses would have?
I don't think this actually happened, but WotC sure have done a bang up job of being straight retard on every interaction with their players over the past month or two.
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle".
- Albert Einstein
There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)