Page 131 of 263 FirstFirst ... 3181121127128129130131132133134135141181231 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 5249

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

  1. #2601
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Totem requires mana to activate. May be better in control builds. IDK, since it was a long time since i did control:-)


    Anyway, don't be annoying by calling yourself bad. You are playing pox, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

  2. #2602

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Totem requires mana to activate. May be better in control builds. IDK, since it was a long time since i did control:-)


    Anyway, don't be annoying by calling yourself bad. You are playing pox, right?
    I second the second part of this. As a pox player you're not particularly a bad player, just a bad person and a griefer. At least that's what my buddies tell me.

  3. #2603
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,808

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Totem requires mana to activate. May be better in control builds. IDK, since it was a long time since i did control:-)


    Anyway, don't be annoying by calling yourself bad. You are playing pox, right?
    no I mean my badness is expressed through that fanatical unwillingness to just run good cards. I'll have success with quality builds, but then I'll see Waste Not and slam dunk it into my build.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  4. #2604
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox



    Btw, Tom Ross ran Waste Not in his Modern sideboard. Maybe, just maybe, it can work in Modern. If not then he is a bad player too. (After all he does not run top, right?)
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

  5. #2605
    Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

    Join Date

    Mar 2010
    Location

    Metropolis Prime
    Posts

    687

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    The Boss Ross is quite a monster with a notorious habit for hitting top 8s with decks that seem 'ok' for whatever reasons. I like his descriptions and such from that video I posted as well. He ran neither Engineered Plagues or Ensnaring Bridge in his sideboard so maybe he's onto something.

    As for Phyrexian Totem, the ancient school of Pox thread had 3 threats that were considered staples of old Pox. Nether Spirit, Chimeric Idol (my personal fave of the old), and Phyrexian Totem.

    The totem is fine vs. enemies with empty hands. You probably just got greedy and well, G1 vs. a deck with any direct damage is usually rough unless it's RUG Thresh. In fact, RUG Thresh vs. Pox should be easy mode if you've read Reid Duke's articles from SCG and personally, I've got a Pox deck and a budgetized version of RUG Delver and when me and my friend pilot them, Pox wins over 70% of the time.

    Why is this? RUG has no true card advantage at all. No Jace, no CounterBalance, no Ancestral Visions, nothing... Pox eats low resource decks like that for breakfast lunch and dinner. Pox's toughest matches are usually based on manipulative control decks that go long and have enough land to weather Pox's winter of denial.

    One of the reasons I prefer the mana denial flavor of Pox is because due to Liliana and Hymn being auto-includes, stopping enemies from playing lands is just a method that works for me. Denying land to control decks is also vital to winning at all.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

  6. #2606
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Yeah, mana denial is nice. Still, i am reconsidering Wasteland, again. Sinkhole would be better actually. Not hindering mana development and hitting basics also.
    I MAY replace them with mishra's factory. It's an option but is it a good enough one?
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

  7. #2607
    Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

    Join Date

    Mar 2010
    Location

    Metropolis Prime
    Posts

    687

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Yeah, mana denial is nice. Still, i am reconsidering Wasteland, again. Sinkhole would be better actually. Not hindering mana development and hitting basics also.
    I MAY replace them with mishra's factory. It's an option but is it a good enough one?
    Wasteland and Sinkhole are usually always together in a mono-B mana-denial build simply because of the LD saturation and Wastes don't hit basics. There are games where you smallpox and sinkhole so many basic lands that your foe's fetchlands can only target wasteland fodder. It's a great feeling. Wasteland also causes people to hold their non-basics if they're foolish and allows you to develop your board in any case. 1 generic mana is still mana for use in some spells.

    Do not make the mistake of 'saving' wastelands in your hand. Mana doesn't use the stack so playing them just because you can will force your opponent to change their approach. Of course, this is better with a turn 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. It can be a usable hand if you're opening grip is artifacts, Mishra's and wastelands. I find starting with 2 Swamps is the normal step and Wasting them turn 1-2 I've found to not work as well.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

  8. #2608
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Yes, especially vs delver decks. Occasionally you can mana screw them but wasteland turn one and two are more like timewalks for them. Same with Rishadan port.
    I bought my wastelands on advice from another magic player, but now they will sit in the ring binder for a while. Should i ever finish the control pox deck i will include them there.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

  9. #2609
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

  10. #2610
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,808

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Tentatively my deck development goes in this direction:
    Is this just based on budget? Or are Shocks over Duals a conscious choice?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  11. #2611
    Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

    Join Date

    Mar 2010
    Location

    Metropolis Prime
    Posts

    687

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    I'd suggest removing the Shrieking Afflictions for Lightning Bolts. Kill Planeswalkers that way. 18 threats is so high that the enchantments seem to be filler or something cause you should most certainly kill your opponent before their empty hand ever matters. Bolts feed tombstalker so I'd suggest Lightning Bolt in a deck based on big damage.

    I was thinking about Blightning as well but 3 cmc for a card that doesn't rock the universe probably isn't good enough. I'm truly shocked you didn't just include Nyxathid. He's probably the most terrifying creature a Pox player can cast when an opponent has an empty hand and was just Poxed in the face.

    Let me know how that SDT goes for you.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

  12. #2612

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Does Blightning have a place in your deck? Also, rock those SDT. They are too good not to play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #2613
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Is this just based on budget? Or are Shocks over Duals a conscious choice?
    Budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

  14. #2614
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    I'd suggest removing the Shrieking Afflictions for Lightning Bolts. Kill Planeswalkers that way. 18 threats is so high that the enchantments seem to be filler or something cause you should most certainly kill your opponent before their empty hand ever matters. Bolts feed tombstalker so I'd suggest Lightning Bolt in a deck based on big damage.

    I was thinking about Blightning as well but 3 cmc for a card that doesn't rock the universe probably isn't good enough. I'm truly shocked you didn't just include Nyxathid. He's probably the most terrifying creature a Pox player can cast when an opponent has an empty hand and was just Poxed in the face.

    Let me know how that SDT goes for you.
    I have no experience using Nyxathid.
    On paper he looks to have a variable strength conditional on how well your game goes. And he has no evasion. I may test him later. Not being GY dependent is an advantage, however.

    Lightning bolt is too weak. Besides, i run red (Price of Progress) mainly to get a better game vs lands decks.

    It is hard to defeat decks with several lines of attack. Affliction occasionally makes a nasty lock with bloodghast. PoP added to that gives me a third win con. One that also is an instant.
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

  15. #2615
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by TTX View Post
    Does Blightning have a place in your deck? Also, rock those SDT. They are too good not to play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, i already run six to eight 3cc spells. Besides it does too little. Hymn is better at discard, and PoP do more damage, and at instant speed to booth.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

  16. #2616

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    I've been playing this list (or variation of) for about a year and a half now, but suddenly am not too sure about it. Any thought or recommendations?
    Sorcery (25)

    3x Hymn to Tourach
    3x Innocent Blood
    3x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Lingering Souls
    1x Pox
    4x Sinkhole
    4x Smallpox
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Vindicate

    Planeswalker (4)

    4x Liliana of the Veil

    Land (25)

    1x Bojuka Bog
    3x Marsh Flats
    4x Mishra's Factory
    3x Scrubland
    5x Swamp
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland

    Instant (4)

    4x Surgical Extraction or Dark Ritual (I swap between, I've been liking SE more recently.)

    Artifact (2)

    2x Crucible of Worlds

    Sideboard (15)

    1x Diabolic Edict
    2x Disenchant
    2x Engineered Plague
    2x Massacre
    2x Perish
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Spinning Darkness
    2x Thorn of Amethyst

    I've got a small room event next Saturday, and am willing to try a new brew. (I don't have access to E.Bridges.)

  17. #2617

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamaniac View Post
    I've been playing this list (or variation of) for about a year and a half now, but suddenly am not too sure about it. Any thought or recommendations?
    Sorcery (25)


    I've got a small room event next Saturday, and am willing to try a new brew. (I don't have access to E.Bridges.)
    These are the 2 bw variants that I tend to run. I usually do ok in my LGS with them. Haven't brought them to too many large events, but at an SCG open I did have a positive win rate when I brought the regular BW build. Been running these on and off for about 3 years

    Deck: pox b/w (61)

    Lands 24
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Karakas
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Mishra's Factory
    1 Plains
    3 Scrubland
    2 Swamp
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland

    Creatures 5
    2 Nether Spirit
    3 Tombstalker

    Spells 31
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Cursed Scroll
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Mox Diamond
    1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
    3 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Vindicate

    Sideboard 15
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    2 Engineered Plague
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Nether Void
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Vindicate

    Deck: pox blade (60)

    Lands 24
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Karakas
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    3 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

    Creatures 2
    2 Stoneforge Mystic

    Spells 34
    2 Bitterblossom
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Lingering Souls
    1 Nether Void
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Trinisphere
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Vindicate

    Sideboard 15
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    2 Engineered Plague
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Extirpate
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Moat
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Zealous Persecution

  18. #2618

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamaniac View Post
    I've been playing this list (or variation of) for about a year and a half now, but suddenly am not too sure about it. Any thought or recommendations?
    Sorcery (25)

    3x Hymn to Tourach
    3x Innocent Blood
    3x Inquisition of Kozilek
    2x Lingering Souls
    1x Pox
    4x Sinkhole
    4x Smallpox
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Vindicate

    Planeswalker (4)

    4x Liliana of the Veil

    Land (25)

    1x Bojuka Bog
    3x Marsh Flats
    4x Mishra's Factory
    3x Scrubland
    5x Swamp
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Wasteland

    Instant (4)

    4x Surgical Extraction or Dark Ritual (I swap between, I've been liking SE more recently.)

    Artifact (2)

    2x Crucible of Worlds

    Sideboard (15)

    1x Diabolic Edict
    2x Disenchant
    2x Engineered Plague
    2x Massacre
    2x Perish
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Spinning Darkness
    2x Thorn of Amethyst

    I've got a small room event next Saturday, and am willing to try a new brew. (I don't have access to E.Bridges.)
    Just pointing out some things from mykatdied's lists, flagstones is an easy add which should help you out. The Legends enchantments Chains and Moat are also very crucial sideboard options but are not easy for everyone to have access to. I might also suggest a one-of Cabal Pit just to get more utility out of those Crucibles.

    I'd also take a look at you sideboard and see if you can be more efficient with card choices, I would think you could turn the 2 E plague, 2 massacre, and 2 perish, and replace them with 1 e plague, 1 night of souls betrayal, and 2 toxic deluge. That would free up 2 slots for the legends enchantments if you can get them or whatever else you need for a given matchup you want help with.

    I don't mind surgical or dark ritual, they are both good but each changes your gameplan. Surgical means your primary gameplan is mana denial with early wasteland on a dual land and surgical you can just win some matches (RUG delver only plays Trops and Volcs so if you surgical both they have no mana), dark ritual is more about velocity, you are attacking their hand more with turn 1 Lily or turn 1 Inquisition-hymn. Just an idea to keep in mind.

  19. #2619
    Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

    Join Date

    Mar 2010
    Location

    Metropolis Prime
    Posts

    687

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post

    Lightning bolt is too weak. Besides, i run red (Price of Progress) mainly to get a better game vs lands decks.

    It is hard to defeat decks with several lines of attack. Affliction occasionally makes a nasty lock with bloodghast.
    Bolt is too... [seizures and bursts into tears... ] How can the best damage to mana ratio spell in the game be too weak? If you're running Big Poxes, these things will do far more than PoP. PoP I suppose is your auto-include if your meta is full of non-basics but as 4 of I'd guess that through statistics, PoP is useless early game and fatal as a top deck to your opponent's health.

    Actually, PoP has a problem. If you've got 7 Pox FX (oh wait, you do ^_^), that land sacrificing aspect of the Poxes are not synergistic with your win con. I love having more than 4 Smallpox FX through big Pox but using Price of Progress, you either wait till they reach critical mass and NOT Pox them, or Pox them early while discarding Price of Progress. Hence why I advocate Bolt. Ultimately, a mix of perhaps 3 Lightning Bolts and 1 Price of Progress could very well be the best of everything.

    How does Shrieking Affliction make a lock with Bloodghast? You lost me at 'several lines of attack'.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

  20. #2620
    Member
    Hardcore's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2012
    Location

    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Posts

    1,048

    Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

    Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Bolt is too... [seizures and bursts into tears... ] How can the best damage to mana ratio spell in the game be too weak? If you're running Big Poxes, these things will do far more than PoP. PoP I suppose is your auto-include if your meta is full of non-basics but as 4 of I'd guess that through statistics, PoP is useless early game and fatal as a top deck to your opponent's health.

    Actually, PoP has a problem. If you've got 7 Pox FX (oh wait, you do ^_^), that land sacrificing aspect of the Poxes are not synergistic with your win con. I love having more than 4 Smallpox FX through big Pox but using Price of Progress, you either wait till they reach critical mass and NOT Pox them, or Pox them early while discarding Price of Progress. Hence why I advocate Bolt. Ultimately, a mix of perhaps 3 Lightning Bolts and 1 Price of Progress could very well be the best of everything.

    How does Shrieking Affliction make a lock with Bloodghast? You lost me at 'several lines of attack'.
    Yes, indeed it is not synergistic at first glance. However, after a pox or smallpox resolves new lands will be played for sure.
    Total damage is in theory greater when Pox → PoP than the order PoP
    → Pox.

    As for bolt it has the disadvantage of being useful for killing creatures.
    While that may be handy occasionally it would only weaken my game plan if i used it that way.
    Basically i want to kill my opponent before he get the Marit Lage combo active.

    Bloodghast + affliction/the rack is simply hard to defend against. If opponent try to handle one he will die to the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

    "Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)