Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Armageddon Stax

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Re: [Deck] Armageddon Stax

Could you please stop discussing SI Tendrils in this thread?
    Generally I avoid playing cards against combo in the sideboard of this deck because you already have a good matchup against fast combo (I admit it is debatable how good it is but so far I have a winnig record against TES, IGGy Pop and Belcher). I'd much rather play cards that help in my bad matchups.
    Of course there is an exception when the cards I use to improve bad matchups are also good against good matchups or are part of a transformational sideboard. For example Tormod's Crypt against Loam and IGGy Pop or the "man plan" that Bane of the Living is playing with Glowrider as additional combo hoser but most importantly as a creature to beat down.

The original Tabernacle is good as a one of but it has the drawback of taking a "spell slot" in the deck so it has to be tested what can be cut for it. Another factor why you won't see it in the majority of tournament decks is its availability. It took a friend of mine months to find one on ebay.
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

When I was writing about Tangle Wire, I was writing from the perspective of a red-based stax deck. While I'm relatively sure that you'll find the same, I'd highly encourage you to take notes when you play with the card and look at why it is/is not good in each matchup. I personally hated the card against B/W Confidant because they could almost always drop a dude then tap lands while I'm scrambling to get around my own Tangle Wire. In my mind, it was only win more there since it would help their own LD element when I was losing, and marginally help (to possibly hinder) while I was winning.

The way I look at it, these are the most effective cards against Solidarity:

// Stuff that prevents Solidarity from comboing
    Boil
    Boiling Seas
    Armageddon/Ravages of War
    Burning Wish -> Boiling Seas
    Chalice of the Void
    Smokestack
    Braids
    Wildfire/P3k Wildfire

// Stuff that slows Solidarity down (sometimes Significantly)
    Trinisphere
    Nether Void
    Goblin Welder with Uba Mask in the deck (not necessarily in play)
    Glowrider
    Sphere of Resistance
    Juggernaut/Exalted Angel/fat dude for 3/4 mana
    Uba Mask
    Pyroblast/REB
    Defense Grid
    Goblin Welder without Uba Mask in the deck (in conjunction with Trinisphere, Smokestack)
    Tangle Wire
    Pithing Needle
    Sylvan Library/library manipulation

The general idea is that mass land destruction is best, with recurring LD and sphere effects slightly below that. Fatties to add pressure/Defense Grid/Welder/Tangle Wire/Pithing Needle can sometimes each add to the higher-level stuff, but generally will not take it's place. The thing about Tangle Wire is that Solidarity can simply float mana for their bounce spell and then bounce stuff at their leisure. If you have a Trinisphere out, then they can't get to 2 mana and just reset it out and go off, but if you have a Trinisphere, you'd much rather see a mass LD effect like Armageddon or a recurring effect like Smokestack.

Pyroblast/REB are interesting if you also have Needle since it can answer mass bounce while also stopping their combo (by hitting an untap spell). It is extremely unlikely they have countermagic left in hand due to your other lock pieces acting as Duress, so this is more effective here. This is probably most effective if you have other 1cc threats like Needle or Welder and would rather Chalice @ 2,3 than 1,3.

For reference, my RG builds generally have:

4 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Smokestack
    4 Boil
    4 Goblin Welder
    2-4 Pithing Needle (name Flooded Strand, then Polluted Delta)
    0-4 Rolling Earthquake (acts as a fattie to speed up the clock from factories and welders)
    2 Uba Mask
    0-3 Sylvan Library

and I rarely drop a game 2 or 3 to Solidarity (generally only to mulling to 4 or worse).

It seems that you could easily support:

4 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Smokestack
    4 Armageddon
    2-4 Pithing Needle/Suppression Field (Needle is better, but if you run Field, it's not completely awful...)
    4-6 Fatties

without much trouble. With the key to the matchup being resolving an LD element (Ravages/Armageddon/Smokestack), adding in extra Armageddon effects would not be the worst call, especially given their usefulness against things like Landstill which I seem to see rumblings about. If you did go with more geddon effects, filling out extra slots (2-3) with Defense Grid in order to better resolve the spells might be acceptable, but it seems like you would have better options against other decks.

@ Bottled Cloister's usage against B/W Deadguy

If they Vindicate your Cloister you lose. That seems suboptimal to give them a 1BW "win the game" spell as a 4-of, maybe up to an 8-of if they play Disenchant/Seal of Cleansing/Serenity (although you pretty much lose anyway if they run Serenity unless you turbo-play Chalice @ 2).
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

I've been testing a new list:

3 Armageddon
    3 Ravages of War
    4 Smokestack
    4 Magus of the Tabernacle
    4 Ghostly Prison
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Engineered Explosives
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Crystal Vein
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    6 Plains

SB:
    4 Defense Grid
    4 Seal of Cleansing
    4 Duskrider Peregrine
    3 Rule of Law

I still think the geddon number is too high as I previosly commented. The deck has a lot of strong openings. It still feels like there isn't enough board control sometimes. I miss Tangle Wire a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane of the Living View Post
    I play one copy in my sideboard.

@BreathWeapon
    But there are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. I dont like Contract Tendrils because it scoops to mage.

It sucks just as bad to get Tendrils Stifled. Its an advantage to attack from two kill mechanics.
    That quote isn't analogous to the issue, Empty the Warrens is becoming a lose condition for combo because it gives the opponent at least a turn to untap and answer it. Tendrils of Agony and Goblin Charbelcher don't give the opponent non-counter spell based answers to your threat that every one will either SB or MD because they also serve general uses.

I'm not saying I'm cutting the single MD Empty the Warrens and SB Empty the Warrens from TES, or even three MD Empty the Warrens in TES and 4 MD Empty the Warrens in SI (you really want them to counter your Dark Rituals). I'm saying it's a bad idea to have to rely on Empty the Warrens as a win condition like Belcher has to. The people who figure out non-Empty the Warrens based combo are going to have a distinct advantage over Empty the Warrens based combo because they ignore your copious removal for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Jun 2007
    France

Here is the list that give me the best results on mws

// Lands
    6 [PT] Plains (3)
    3 [TE] Wasteland
    4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (1)

// Creatures
    4 [PC] Magus of the Tabernacle

// Spells
    4 [DS] Trinisphere
    4 [SH] Mox Diamond
    4 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
    4 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    2 [PT] Armageddon
    2 [P3] Ravages of War
    4 [US] Smokestack
    3 [RAV] Faith's Fetters

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [NE] Seal of Cleansing
    SB: 3 [CS] Jotun Grunt
    SB: 3 [MR] Leonin Abunas
    SB: 2 [UL] Defense Grid
    SB: 2 [LE] Glowrider
    SB: 1 [US] Temporal Aperture
    SB: 1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Angel isn't really that the deck need (it was what i feel when i was playing Angelstacks, angel was just winning some unanswered turn 1 morph turn 2 4/5..)

Here is the big change in the list : 3 Faith's Fetters, woah, they are really good, whereas it was a bit too risky to cast angel as a 2/2 vs aggro, faith give us the tools num 3 vs aggro (after Magus and Prison)

Maybe in that list, u can cut 1 mishra for 1 plain (6 plain + 4 flagstone + 4 mox is sometimes short to cast white spells, or to hold a long flagstone + smokestacks@2 lock)
    Mishra never block ealy game vs aggro (or in very particular case), cause u rather want to take 2 dmg and be able to cast a big spell, than loosing mishra to a bolt :/

Hey Guys,

have you considered Aven Mindcensor as a SB or even as a MD option? I think it's very powerful against combo, 'cause every combo needs Tutors and you can drop him in response 'cause he has flash. Furthermore he shuts down Fetchlands which can be extremly powerful against 4c+ Decks or against ********, too. Another positive aspect to metion is that he only affects your opponent, so that you can use your Flagstones as normal.

What are you thinkin'?
    STIFLE is good because:

This card is also retarted as a first turn play against a fetch. They pay 1 life, they lose a land, they pass the turn. It's like Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex (and Lava Dart watched).

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Aven Mindcensor is good but nowhere near as broken as in Vintage currently. The thing is we don't need a lot of cards against combo in the sideboard and if we did there are better options like Glowrider, Sphere of Resistance, Rule of Law. Against Fetchlands we already have a good option too in Suppression Field which is also strong against Vial, Wasteland, Rishardan Port, Cycling cards, Survival and a lot of other activated nonsense.
    Additionally you have to consider the bad synergy with Magus of the Tabernacle. Cards like Exalted Angel, Jötun Grunt and Duskrider Peregrine are only played because they can swing a match all by themselves. However even these aren't played in most lists.

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Sorry for the double post but I feel it is necessary.
    Some people I talked with suggested Horizon Canopy as a drawengine with Crucible and to get more colors for EE. Splashing green you could also get access to Sylvan Library which is quite strong in Stax even if you can't always pay for the extra cards.
    The list I'm currently testing looks like this:
    4 Armageddon
    4 Smokestack
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ghostly Prison
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Horizon Canopy
    4 Savannah
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Plains

You have 9 ways to get green mana (not counting having your Flagstones destroyed). So far opposing LD hasn't been a problem but I didn't test much yet.
    Even without Angels and with Sylvan Libraries I think 25 lands is a must and Horizon Canopy can turn into a pseudospell if needed. The list is far less explosive than those playing Crystal Veins but makes up for it with amazing comebacks and a stronger game against control thanks to Sylvan Library.
    Some metagames may require you to run more Explosives main but I don't know what to cut for them yet (in this list). However I think the sideboard has a lot of customizable space to work with.
    One last thought: Uba Mask is definitely a lot worse here than in Sun Tower or its variants. You don't have Goblin Welder and you want to keep your Armageddons in hand if possible most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverdragon View Post
    Sorry for the double post but I feel it is necessary.
    Some people I talked with suggested Horizon Canopy as a drawengine with Crucible and to get more colors for EE. Splashing green you could also get access to Sylvan Library which is quite strong in Stax even if you can't always pay for the extra cards.
    The list I'm currently testing looks like this:
    4 Armageddon
    4 Smokestack
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ghostly Prison
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Mox Diamond
    2 Sylvan Library
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Horizon Canopy
    4 Savannah
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Plains

You have 9 ways to get green mana (not counting having your Flagstones destroyed). So far opposing LD hasn't been a problem but I didn't test much yet.
    Even without Angels and with Sylvan Libraries I think 25 lands is a must and Horizon Canopy can turn into a pseudospell if needed. The list is far less explosive than those playing Crystal Veins but makes up for it with amazing comebacks and a stronger game against control thanks to Sylvan Library.
    Some metagames may require you to run more Explosives main but I don't know what to cut for them yet (in this list). However I think the sideboard has a lot of customizable space to work with.
    One last thought: Uba Mask is definitely a lot worse here than in Sun Tower or its variants. You don't have Goblin Welder and you want to keep your Armageddons in hand if possible most of the time.
    Additionally, green gives you access to Krosan Grip, which I've found to be really hot when there was a bunch of Aluren around me. Also, the reason to play Sylvan Library in Sun Tower variants is no longer Uba Mask. We found an even more synergistic card to abuse, but it's unfortunately red. Sylvan Library seems like it would give a great benefit to smoothing out your draws in this build though. I might even consider going up to 3 main.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    We found an even more synergistic card to abuse, but it's unfortunately red.
    Now you have me interested. Care to share your tech?

Anyway I just did a couple testgames versus Rg Goblins preboard and went 2-3. I lost one game because of a mulligan to 4 and mulliganed to 5 in another. Goblins didn't mulligan and had first turn Lackey 4 out of 5 times. Sylvan Library was great (more like amazing) and Horizon Canopy was ok. Sadly most of the mulligans were because the hands would've lost to a single Wasteland. I'd have kept all but one if the Savannahs were basic Plains. There were 2-3 situations I wished Canopy was Wasteland and in one of those situations I'd have won almost on the spot with Wasteland.
    If I had to make a decision now I'd stay with monoW at least against Goblins however as this was a really small sample size (and even without boarding) I'll keep testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverdragon View Post
    Now you have me interested. Care to share your tech?

Anyway I just did a couple testgames versus Rg Goblins preboard and went 2-3. I lost one game because of a mulligan to 4 and mulliganed to 5 in another. Goblins didn't mulligan and had first turn Lackey 4 out of 5 times. Sylvan Library was great (more like amazing) and Horizon Canopy was ok. Sadly most of the mulligans were because the hands would've lost to a single Wasteland. I'd have kept all but one if the Savannahs were basic Plains. There were 2-3 situations I wished Canopy was Wasteland and in one of those situations I'd have won almost on the spot with Wasteland.
    If I had to make a decision now I'd stay with monoW at least against Goblins however as this was a really small sample size (and even without boarding) I'll keep testing.
    I think your flagstones and canopy are holding you back in some regard. I'd recommend testing out something like -1 flagstones, -1 canopy, +2 white fetch. With your crucibles you will randomly find yourself in a position to abuse the fetches, as well as providing yourself with an additional green sources, and safe early plays (can't be wasted/ported until you've already used them).

For the other thing, check your inbox.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

So after extensive testing I've come to the conclusion that I don't like the green splash at all. Even with various fetchland configurations the manabase was not stable enough and looking back Sylvan Library was rarely better than Explosives. I still think Sylvan Library is strong and deserves to be played more than it currently is but not in this deck. At least not in its current configuration.
    Another thing I found out while testing post board against Goblins is that I really wanted more lands especially Wastelands to shut off annoying Ports and colorscrew my opponent. With Suppression Fields in the board this seems counterintuitive but you can't rely on drawing a 4-of in this deck so every bit of help is good especially when your game 1 is rough and you have 8 slots to fill anyway (assuming you board out all your Trinispheres and Chalices).
    During play I noticed that the matchup often boils down to winning the war over the manabase. I had one game where the first play Goblins made was turn 3 Goblin Warchief with Stax playing turn 3 Magus. Goblins won that game. A lot of games Goblins had the first turn Lackey against the land, go of Stax but Stax won regardless.

An old list I played had 2 Wastelands in the board and I keep coming back to that list whenever I test against Goblins. What are your thoughts on this? Do you have similar experiences or different ones?

In my experience, the Goblins match-up comes down to Ghostly Prison. If you get it down turn 2 or even 3 depending on how 'broken' their opening is in Game 1, it slows down their game plan enough that you should be able to find a win condition or a lock or at least an Armageddon to slow them further before they can kill you and, if you stabilize, it is very difficult to lose. You're job basically becomes keeping them off 4 mana to attack with both a Lackey and a Piledriver early (which is the only real spot that I've found Wasteland helpful). I've not found another card in the deck that works so efficiently on it's own to slow them down. (Granted a turn 2 Magus is pretty sweet here also, but Magus is slow-to-bad depending on how many Goblins and Lands are in play, i.e. 3 random Gobbos + Piledriver + 4 land = Magus not so hot).

While I agree that Port is annoying, if the Goblins player is Porting you, they have either (a) have established a dominant board position and will win within the next 2 turns if you don't find a specific card (typically Prison or Magus) or (b) have misidentified the match-up and think that 'stalling' against a prison deck is a good idea. In situation A, you are probably going to lose anyhow. If it is early enough to matter that they are keeping you off lands and they are still attacking effectively, you are in bad shape especially if you kept a hand without Prison or Magus. In situation B, you have a much better chance to win. If they opened with Vial/Fanatic/nothing, and have chosen to Port you turn 2 over playing pretty much anything in their hand, you are in the driver's seat (but I probably don't need to mention that). 2-mana lands and Diamonds make Port either a difficult decision (do they keep you off the boost or the color) or a waste of time (Port the Tomb just to see the 3rd land drop plus Prison/Crucible/Trinisphere or another 2-mana land and Magus).

That's been my experience with it anyhow.

As for the splashes, I have been testing several. And what I've found probably won't surprise most, but it did me. Stax is extremely customizable to the meta. I have found lists that aggro cannot beat pre-board that will morph into a combo-killing machine post-sideboard or vice-versa. I have the most trouble tuning to beat Control and Aggro-Control because I'm not finding a lot of overlap in the card pools (i.e. Defense Grid good vs Control - Bad vs everything Aggro and Combo not named Solidarity). I've enjoyed the Green Splash (I call it Library Stax because I'm a tool) because it provides a little selection to give you a better 'random' game 1 (unknown opponent). It gives you an opportunity to find the needed bullet for a match-up. The list I play has fetches and Flagstones, although I think Eternal Dragon (and probably a Temple Garden or two) might be better than Flagstones for the more consistent shuffle effect. I've paired the Library with Uba Mask (you'd be surprised how many cards it hoses in the current meta) and Words of Worship (hope I didn't spoil any secret tech) which is not a kill like Words of War, but watching random aggro decks try to overcome 10-20 life a turn provides quite a clock (a calendar really) to establish board control. (Note - I haven't tested enough to know if the life gain is a neat trick or actually useful. I know it quite simply nullifies a lot of aggro decks.)

Just my thoughts,

Fred Bear...

I have been playing around, and tweaking a mono-white 'geddon stax list for a couple weeks now, and i have some thoughts i decided to share.

The SB duskrider peragrine has been nothing short of terrible for me. The protection from black is almost worthless, except for chump blocking. What black deck doesn't run 4x diabolic edict? Not to mention smallpox, innocent blood, pox, chainer's edict, EE, deed and damnation. That is assuming you even play the thing before it gets hymned out of your hand. Is there any other reason to even run this card, because it has never helped me?

Powder keg has been another week link. I have long since replaced it with faith's fetters. This card is amazing, it is almost never dead. I have considered running 4 (i only run 3 atm), or possibly having 1 in the SB. However, i discovered (from D&T) a card called Mangara of Corondor. The only set-back is the WW cc; however, i think you can easily find WW in a timely manor. Both have their pros and cons, but i plan on testing them. Mangara does not have great synergy with magus, but you won't have it in play longer than a turn. However, that leads me to my next issue:

4 Magus has not been working out for me. I have since gone to 3 magus, 2 windborn muse. This was fueled by the fact that double ghostly prison is one of the strongest plays this deck can make. Double magus, on the other hand, is almost a trainwreck (against non-aggro); 4 mana for 4 damage is pretty weak. A pair of tabernacles in the board help me against aggro, but my board is constantly changing...

Glowriders have been weak, but not terrible against combo. Since you only really run 3-5 creatures, wouldn't a straight sphere of resistance be better? Sphere will come down turn 1 alot more often than a glowrider. Also, would you bring in glowrider / sphere in against thresh? It seems a fair price to pay to slow all their draws down, as well as forcing them to have open mana for daze / FoW. It seems the thresh MU comes down to resolving a trini, or a chalice at 1; preferably a trini.

It seems nearly impossible to beat black disruption decks. Your only possible chance, seems to be a chalice for 2. An early crucible might save you some time, but dont get your hopes up. This is just an observation, i don't have any insight to give...

Most of my matches ussually turn into resolving and armageddon (i run 5), and getting into a battle of topdecks, which i ussually win. However, the reliance on sheer topdecking has been the greatest weakness for the deck. But, it seems, the options are limited. Sylvan library needs a second color, and i feel like im wasting it without playing uba mask or a words. Sensei's top clashes with your favorite play (turn 1 chalice at 1). Bottled cloister is kinda the only thing left. Cloister helps against discard, and draws you an extra card; i still feel bad playing this without playing ensnaring bridge...

Has anyone come to a conclusion about this? Is cloister worth it, or is reliance on topdecking a better option?

Thanks for reading, i know it was alot...

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    I have been playing around, and tweaking a mono-white 'geddon stax list for a couple weeks now, and i have some thoughts i decided to share.

The SB duskrider peragrine has been nothing short of terrible for me. The protection from black is almost worthless, except for chump blocking. What black deck doesn't run 4x diabolic edict? Not to mention smallpox, innocent blood, pox, chainer's edict, EE, deed and damnation. That is assuming you even play the thing before it gets hymned out of your hand. Is there any other reason to even run this card, because it has never helped me?

Powder keg has been another week link. I have long since replaced it with faith's fetters. This card is amazing, it is almost never dead. I have considered running 4 (i only run 3 atm), or possibly having 1 in the SB. However, i discovered (from D&T) a card called Mangara of Corondor. The only set-back is the WW cc; however, i think you can easily find WW in a timely manor. Both have their pros and cons, but i plan on testing them. Mangara does not have great synergy with magus, but you won't have it in play longer than a turn. However, that leads me to my next issue:

4 Magus has not been working out for me. I have since gone to 3 magus, 2 windborn muse. This was fueled by the fact that double ghostly prison is one of the strongest plays this deck can make. Double magus, on the other hand, is almost a trainwreck (against non-aggro); 4 mana for 4 damage is pretty weak. A pair of tabernacles in the board help me against aggro, but my board is constantly changing...

Glowriders have been weak, but not terrible against combo. Since you only really run 3-5 creatures, wouldn't a straight sphere of resistance be better? Sphere will come down turn 1 alot more often than a glowrider. Also, would you bring in glowrider / sphere in against thresh? It seems a fair price to pay to slow all their draws down, as well as forcing them to have open mana for daze / FoW. It seems the thresh MU comes down to resolving a trini, or a chalice at 1; preferably a trini.

It seems nearly impossible to beat black disruption decks. Your only possible chance, seems to be a chalice for 2. An early crucible might save you some time, but dont get your hopes up. This is just an observation, i don't have any insight to give...

Most of my matches ussually turn into resolving and armageddon (i run 5), and getting into a battle of topdecks, which i ussually win. However, the reliance on sheer topdecking has been the greatest weakness for the deck. But, it seems, the options are limited. Sylvan library needs a second color, and i feel like im wasting it without playing uba mask or a words. Sensei's top clashes with your favorite play (turn 1 chalice at 1). Bottled cloister is kinda the only thing left. Cloister helps against discard, and draws you an extra card; i still feel bad playing this without playing ensnaring bridge...

Has anyone come to a conclusion about this? Is cloister worth it, or is reliance on topdecking a better option?

Thanks for reading, i know it was alot...
    Ok..

@Duskrider
    You cant just look at him and go "oh pro black!" and expect him to win you a game. Access your metagame first. Maybe you just ripped a list without reading but he's discussed as a solution against mostly Red Death and Deadguy Ale. Niether of those decks play the aforementioned cards aside from Hymn. Regardless he's good against him since you can Suspend him turn 1-2 very easily. If your problem is Edicts try to have Mishras Factories ready to activate. If your playing against Damnations then make them trade one for one or just kill them with Factories. EE should not be hitting Peregrine. Who's paying 5 for sunburst!!?? Pox is a bad matchup anyways.

Deed is unfortunate and all you can really do against it is not cry like a little girl.

Mangara belongs in a deck tailored for him such as D&T not Stax. He's not very permanant and we like those. Powder Keg does indeed suck. Most of us have replaced that slot with EE. You need an answer to 0-1 casting cost stuff.

Let me know how your continued testing goes with Fetters. Im curious to know. I just dont see it as a replacement for the EE slot. It doesnt fit the curve and ours is way to important to ignore.

Im sorry your unhappy with 4 Magus, I find him MVP. It sucks to draw two but Id rather have the chance of drawing one than none right?

If you'll notice I run Sphere of Resistance and Glowrider together. I find them better paired than to max out on either number. Your correct in playing them against thresh since they hate those cards. Side out Ghostly Prisons.

Monoblack Attrition is our worst matchup by far. If your seeing alot of these decks in your meta right now Id honestly swap decks for a little bit.

I ran Cloister in my board for quite some time but you need to watch out not to get it blown up. I played it with Ensnaring Bridge as well. The combo was amazing and both halfs worked great alone. The only issue I had with it was Bridge would clash with Ghostly Prison by trying to take the same role and not stacking well. Also, Empty the Warrens shits on Ensnaring Bridge..
    Now playing real formats.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Bane of the Living View Post
    Deed is unfortunate and all you can really do against it is not cry like a little girl.
    Pithing Needle.

Also, I found Bridge to be preferable because decks like Faerie Stompy and the new Goyf Control/Agro/Agro Control lists can just pay for Prison and be on their merry way.

You also run EE for ETW, so I doubt it would be that much of a problem.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Admittedly, i just found a SB i liked, and ran with it. I can't say i have ever played against red death, and confidant is very beatable; with such a low curve, chalice wins games. I dont think 3-4 slots should be dedicated to 2 underplayed decks, but i guess its a meta call.

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost
    Faerie Stompy and the new Goyf Control/Agro/Agro Control lists can just pay for Prison and be on their merry way.
    This is exactly why i run 3 faith's fetters, and 6 ghostly prisons. double prison is hard for any deck to face, especially when 3spheres, armageddons, wastes, tabernacle, and stax are all abundant. I used to play RG stax, with cloister (and words)-bridge lock. I changed because bridge locks are so fragile. If you are playing against goyf, they most likely have 4x krosan grips in the board, plus tons of draw, and counter magic; ussually a few bounce spells for good measure. Keeping a bridge lock is nearly impossible, and as soon as bridge goes, you loose. Also, this deck tends to build up cards in hand from armageddons slowing you down. Also, cards like extra tabernacles, and geddons, and moxes build up in your hand. This deck should be concentrated on abusing armageddon, and cloister-bridge doesn't do that.

Faith's fetters is my pithing needle. The only real problem is the majority of the deck is 4cc. This can be hard if your forced to drop a 'geddon before you have crucible out. What are you hitting with EE in the 0-1 range? The only real problems i have had were mongoose, sensei's top, random combo pieces, and the rare artifact lands. The few games i have had against ETW have been easy. Between chalice, ghostly prison, tabernacles, muse, trini...etc it shouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by honz View Post
    Admittedly, i just found a SB i liked, and ran with it. I can't say i have ever played against red death, and confidant is very beatable; with such a low curve, chalice wins games. I dont think 3-4 slots should be dedicated to 2 underplayed decks, but i guess its a meta call.

This is exactly why i run 3 faith's fetters, and 6 ghostly prisons. double prison is hard for any deck to face, especially when 3spheres, armageddons, wastes, tabernacle, and stax are all abundant. I used to play RG stax, with cloister (and words)-bridge lock. I changed because bridge locks are so fragile. If you are playing against goyf, they most likely have 4x krosan grips in the board, plus tons of draw, and counter magic; ussually a few bounce spells for good measure. Keeping a bridge lock is nearly impossible, and as soon as bridge goes, you loose. Also, this deck tends to build up cards in hand from armageddons slowing you down. Also, cards like extra tabernacles, and geddons, and moxes build up in your hand. This deck should be concentrated on abusing armageddon, and cloister-bridge doesn't do that.
    Cloister-bridge is fucking terrible. Cloister is the worst possible card to pair with bridge. Tarpan is at least 50,000 times better than Cloister since it will never cause you get mind twisted due to removal. Quote me on that all day long if you want.

How are 3 fetters and 6 prisons (which don't actually stop attacking w/o resolving a geddon through their "tons of draw, and counter magic", just tax it) any better than 4 bridges, 4 welders, 4crucible/4factory, and 4 razorcore when backed up by the same Chalices, Trinispheres, Smokestacks, Tabernacles (if you really want, but this is a bad card and we all cut it after Gencon last year), and Boil (in place of Armageddon)?

Faith's fetters is my pithing needle. The only real problem is the majority of the deck is 4cc. This can be hard if your forced to drop a 'geddon before you have crucible out. What are you hitting with EE in the 0-1 range? The only real problems i have had were mongoose, sensei's top, random combo pieces, and the rare artifact lands. The few games i have had against ETW have been easy. Between chalice, ghostly prison, tabernacles, muse, trini...etc it shouldn't be an issue.
    Fetters will never do any good against Pernicious Deed. That card is the single biggest wrecking ball you can face due to its common occurrence and devastating effect. EE in the 0-1 range hits your own chalices, etw tokens, mongoose, and random fast mana. If you'd read EE you'd know it doesn't kill artifact lands. Anyway, we tested this card in other stax lists and found it to be about as good as a Terror since it'd never hit more than 1 card that wasn't a token/your own chalices.

Additionally, Pithing Needle can severely screw most Thresh builds since you look to Chalice @ 2/3 game 2 anyway. You needle EE to protect your chalices, or as your hand determines (if it's LD/taxing heavy), needle fetches on the play. Given that the deck plays 7-10 fetches on a manabase of only 17 lands, you can hit them fast and hard for only 1.

Finally, if your spells cost 4 mana, you are constantly casting 'geddon without Crucible, and even with Crucible spells are piling up in your hand, doesn't this lead you to question 'geddon effects? Granted this causes a dramatically different gameplan, but if these are recurring observations then it could be something to consider. Either that, or start playing LFTL.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Could anyone give an elaborate explanation as to a variety of match-ups..
    What are the easy decks to beat vs the hard and 50/50 decks to beat.. what are good sideboard in and outs for all?

The decks I refer to are :
    Threshold U/G/W - U/G/R
    Belcher
    Landstill
    Survival varients
    CAL
    Vial Goblins Varients
    5/3
    Blue Skies
    Truffle Shuffle
    Reanimator with Ghoul
    43 Land
    Aluren
    CEPHALID BREAKFAST Varients (Karmic Guide, Kiki Jiki)
    Iggy Pop
    Salvagers Game
    Burning Lands
    Loam Control
    T.E.S.
    HanniFish (U/W/B Fish)
    Madness Varients
    Fairie Stompy-
    Stompy Varients
    Fish Varients
    Solidarity
    Deadguy Ale
    Train Wreck
    Red Death
    MIRROR MATCH???
    In my build of Geddon Stax, i main deck four Suppression Fields Because sometimes (90% of the time) They feel like god if a turn 1 SF Resolves..
    They are great vs most all combo decks ( SOLIDARITY HAS FETCHES TOO ) .

In my meta, i see tons of Ceph Breakfast, so turn one field is key (much like vs Threshold, 43 Land, U/G Madness, Landstill) I'm just curious as to why in the decklists i see, there are None. I may have missed something.

Gen Con is right around corner, i am thinking this deck might be a great suprise attack vs those decks. (I was taking Salvagers Game FTW.. but scared of all the main deck voids now.)

Thanks.

Also, how about Eater Of Days and RazorCore as alternate win conditions In SB tech?? I know it sounds funny but imagine this hand; Turn 1 trinisphere, Turn 2 Smokestax, Turn 3 Eater of Days.. Even if they kill EoD, they still deal with sacking 3 permanents and only being able to play stuff at 3 with Trinishphere out, and if they don't kill it, u Can sacrifice Smokestack to itself and start Beating Face.

And Razormane Masticore is good vs goblins and Red Death's Negator; pinging their Negator for 3 is hilarious.

Thread Information