Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [EDH] The Mimeoplasm

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

[EDH] The Mimeoplasm

The Mimeoplasm started off as my *most competitive* EDH deck. I've toned it down since then but it is still capable of very powerful plays. The deck is versatile and can be played as competitively or casually as the playgroup demands. In competitive 1v1, the goal is to assemble a giant, evasive, shrouded monster as soon as possible. In more casual pods, emphasis is placed on establishing an advantage engine and grinding out value.

I am extremely happy with the aesthetics of the deck. All cards are their original printing (choosing Beta over Alpha due to the corners, and the dual lands are Revised because $$ ). The only foil cards are those with an ability while in the graveyard.

38 Lands

30 Creatures

31 Other Spells

Graveyard-reliant deck is obviously weak to grave-hate.
    The deck can play around graveyard disruption and Blood Moon if you go into the game expecting either.

A combination of Lord of Extinction/Apocalypse Demon and Triskelion/Walking Ballista in the graveyard lets Mimeoplasm snipe opponents or control the board. I've had a lot of fun building and honing this deck.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 02-27-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Re: [EDH] The Mimeoplasm

I feel like Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is better ooze fodder than Putrefax. Also, maybe Regrowth instead of Noxious Revival? Getting your card back ASAP for 1 more mana seems very worth it.
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Both were actually in the original 99!
    Skittles was cut when I didn't feel the need for 2 infect options. I like Putrefax better because it comes with trample.
    Regrowth just recently got cut for Noxious Revival because revival puts it on top for free. I like so far.

Nov 2010
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Both were actually in the original 99!
    Skittles was cut when I didn't feel the need for 2 infect options. I like Putrefax better because it comes with trample.
    Regrowth just recently got cut for Noxious Revival because revival puts it on top for free. I like so far.
    Makes sense. I was just thinking that if you needed an answer for something that Regrowth would be better. But hey, if it works why fix it?
    "If you're playing Storm in Legacy, you need to believe that what your deck does is better than what their deck does."

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

-Swamp
    -Forest
    -Island
    -Dakmor Salvage
    -Bojuka Bog
    -Consuming Aberration
    -Phyrexian Revoker
    -Noxious Revival
    -Gitaxian Probe
    -Maelstrom Pulse
    -Crucible of Worlds

+Underground Sea
    +Tropical Island
    +Bayou
    +River of Tears
    +City of Brass
    +Artisan of Kozilek
    +Spirit of the Night
    +Dregscape Zombie
    +Street Wraith
    +Abrupt Decay
    +True-Name Nemesis

I made quite a few more changes than I'd realized. I changed my mind on the direction to take with the deck. I've quit trying to be cute with Hermit Druid and embraced the broken-ness. I tried Dimir Infiltrator and Postmortem Lunge and didn't like them.
    I am focusing this deck for 1v1. It is pretty consistently a turn 5 deck. Especially if loose mulligan rules apply and you can partial away monsters.

I am very happy with the changes. Dregscape Zombie is pretty mediocre... Increased time with the deck has taught me how to play around graveyard hate and protect the combo.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 10-03-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Damn your list is awesome, no Mike and Trike combo?

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Qige,
    I used to run the Phyrexian Devourer/Triskelion/Necrotic Ooze combo, but it is very flimsy and often I would not have enough CMC left in my libary to make the combo effective.
    The reason Mike/Trike is not in the list is because the situation where I have both in play is unlikely. Nothing that costs more than 5 mana is actually hardcast. Which actually reminds me that I need to find a replacement for Artisan of Kozilek. He was in my original list and was cut when I realized his reanimate effect triggers on casting and not ETB. Looks like I forgot, put him back in, and am cutting him for the same reasons...
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 10-03-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Damn nice list, hows TNN? What does he do? Pro- your Mime?

Play Prophet of Kruphix? That guy is huge bomb in mimeoplasm. Untap and flash is nuts. Helps respond to GY removal triggers.

ALSO: WHERE THE HELL IS YOUR KROSAN GRIP?! Dude. SHUTS DOWN EVERY GY HATE. except Bog. T-Crypt / Leyline / Relic of Pro. Also be careful for that new white angel in Commander deck. 4 mana one. Exiles GY ETB.

EDit 2: Fauna shaman? Too slow?

Edit3: Voidslime. and Liliana of the Veil against control < might be too slow.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I added in Lili and K-Grip!

I also added baby Jace, DRS, and some extra reanimate effects.
    KTK added Treasure Cruise and Sultai Charm.

I took out the Hermit Druid combo, but left in Hermit Druid (adding 3 basic lands). Making this deck cut throat meant I couldn't use it against most of the opponents I am likely to play EDH against. It is still high powered, but not like it was. I am having a lot more fun playing casually with it than I ever had before.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Making this deck cut throat meant I couldn't use it against most of the opponents I am likely to play EDH against. It is still high powered, but not like it was. I am having a lot more fun playing casually with it than I ever had before.
    I just wanted to comment that it sounds like you've found the sweet spot for EDH. I had a lot of fun building and playing a Mimeoplasm deck, but my normal playgroup did not enjoy it and that killed the deck. I just wanted to target a Morphling and a Leviathan, or a Thornling and a Polar Kraken, or a Spirit of the Night and a Krosan Cloudscraper, etc. etc., but it's tough to build Mimeoplasm such that it's fun for everyone.

Compulsive Research would fit perfectly alongside your looting effects, and I tested out Compulsion as well. How good is Nostalgic Dreams?

Voidslime, Stifle, and Trickbind might be worth a spot or two alongside Krosan Grip, depending on how much graveyard hate you run into. Voidslime is especially good at stopping all the possible graveyard hate that can get you, before or after it hits play.

Depending on what you normally copy with Mimeoplasm, Plaxcaster Frogling can be quite good.
    InfoNinjas

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTroll View Post
    I just wanted to comment that it sounds like you've found the sweet spot for EDH.
    Thank you! I am having more fun with this deck now than I ever have, so I think you are right.

Compulsive Research would fit perfectly alongside your looting effects, and I tested out Compulsion as well. How good is Nostalgic Dreams?
    Compulsive Research JUST got cut for Sultai Charm! The charm is harder to cast, but it is so much more versatile I believe it will prove worth it.
    Nostalgic Dreams is really a great card for the deck. can be difficult early, but by mid to late game it often helps me discard fatties and turns them into tutors. If your opponent counters Dreams, you are screwed because discarding is part of the cost. But usually what I'm discarding is better in the graveyard anyway.
    Compulsion isn't bad! It looks like it works very well with dredgers. It is a little mana hungry though...

Voidslime, Stifle, and Trickbind might be worth a spot or two alongside Krosan Grip, depending on how much graveyard hate you run into. Voidslime is especially good at stopping all the possible graveyard hate that can get you, before or after it hits play.
    True statement! Only problem is finding the room... I basically run a counter-less list because of everything else I wanted to fit in.

Depending on what you normally copy with Mimeoplasm, Plaxcaster Frogling can be quite good.
    So even though I have toned down the list, my goal is still do make a broken play by turn 5 every game. The difference is that I am no longer dedicated to having that broken play immediately win me the game. Usually the broken play is simply casting The Mimeoplasm. If I suspect I will be able to untap with my monster, I shoot for something like Jin Gitaxias or Pathrazer of Ulamog. If I suspect spot removal I go for any of the shroud/hexproof monsters.

Last night on turn 5, I had a Bloodghast and Putrid Imp on the board. My graveyard had 20 or so cards in it. I cast Mimeoplasm as a Spirit of the Night with 9 +1/+1 counters on it (from Plated Slagwurm. After swinging for 14, I flashed back Dread Return to reanimate Terastodon, blowing up Ajani, Mentor of Heroes, Propaganda, and Angelic Destiny.

I ended up winning several turns later by resolving Living Death when my graveyard had grown to about 50 or 60 cards.

My meta has some grave-hate, but it is not so pervasive that I cannot play this deck.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Commander 2014 Update

- Krosan Grip
    - Kalonian Behemoth

+ Dig Through Time
    + Siege Behemoth

I got a foil Dig for Cromat which means my non-foil can be moved into this deck. Delve is so good.
    There's nothing wrong with KGrip... I just needed *something* to cut.

Swapping a large vanilla Behemoth for a 'guaranteed damage' Behemoth.

Edit - I also bought a Stormsurge Kraken from C14. Part of me just likes the idea that copying this creature with Mimeoplasm gives it +2/+2...
    I will be testing it in Plated Slagwurm's spot.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 11-11-2014 at 12:12 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Khans block Update:

- Consuming Aberration
    - Green Sun's Zenith
    - Darkblast
    - Homeward Path
    - Gemstone Mine
    - River of Tears

+ Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    + Murderous Cut
    + Brainstorm
    + Snow-Covered Swamp
    + Snow-Covered Forest
    + Snow-Covered Island

I would like to also add Snapcaster Mage back in but I need to get one first.
    Adding the snow-covered lands is a move towards less brokenness. Hermit Druid really isn't that dangerous anymore. He's still good, just not as broken.

I got a few games in last night and I really love the Delve mechanic in this deck. Tasigur's activated ability isn't that great due to all the cards I want in the graveyard, but an extra card in hand is still usually worth it. Plus he lets me play a more mid-range game if I need to.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 06-08-2015 at 10:53 AM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

- Tasigur, the Golden Fang
    - Vampiric Tutor
    - Spirit of the Night

+ Tarmogoyf
    + Snapcaster Mage
    + Faerie Trickery

I'm cutting Vampiric Tutor to increase the fun level and decrease the urge to find broken pieces.
    Tarmogoyf is just a bigger Tasigur. Tasigur's activated ability is too expensive to use and stuff I'd want in the yard would just return to my hand anyway...
    Faerie Trickery is the only Tribal card that made sense to include. Add it gives Tarmogoyf the potential to be an 8/9.

The fun-factor for this deck is through the roof now. I don't have to worry too much about grave-hate because I'm not trying to win ASAP so my local stores don't have to include it in their decks to hate me out.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Got to cast my first ever Tarmogoyf last night.
    It entered the battlefield as an 8/9 flyer for (due to a Wonder in my graveyard and an opponent's Rhystic Study).

Before last night's games I made the following changes:

-Faerie Trickery
    -Putrid Imp
    -True-Name Nemesis
    -Putrefax

+Eyeblight's Ending
    +Lignify
    +Plated Slagwurm
    +Kalonian Behemoth

I've already decided I will be replacing Jace Beleren with Jace, Vryn's Prodigy.
    I would also like to replace Strip Mine and City of Brass, so I'm hoping for some good lands in upcoming sets, preferably a green utility land that enters untapped and a rainbow or BUG land that enters untapped.
    While I'm wishing... another planeswalker with CMC 3 or less would be nice since the new Jace is a creature in the graveyard.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

BFZ update:

- Jace Beleren
    - Lion's Eye Diamond
    - Strip Mine

+ Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    + Plated Crusher
    + Tree of Tales

This is another move towards the removal of game ruining cards. Playing my General turn 2 off LED never increased the enjoyment of the games I've played and is a relic of a time when I wanted this to be my 'cut throat' EDH deck. It has also taken me out of the game a few times if my opponent can make me sac a dude or if I made a non-hexproof Mimeoplasm, then I'm hellbent with 2 lands on the board.

Crusher makes it even less likely Mimeoplasm won't be hexproof. Tree of Tales is a green land that comes in untapped (like I said I wanted in the post above) and is also an Artifact in the graveyard for Goyf (replacing the artifact I'm losing by cutting LED).
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 10-03-2015 at 12:25 AM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

+ Kiora, Master of the Depths
    - Murderous Cut

Turns out the more small creatures I add, the better Kiora becomes in the deck.
    Plus her -2 basically reads 'draw 4 cards'.

This post is more or less a reminder for myself/thoughts on what I want to do with the deck:

The basic land count can probably get cut to 4 or 5. I want Hermit Druid to dump 15-25 cards in my yard when I activate him. I seem to be averaging less than that currently, so as I find lands I want to add I'll be replacing one or two snow-basics.

Pathrazer of Ulamog and Terastodon can go. Pathrazer either comes down too early and is unfun or gets stolen/killed. Terastadon just never gets used other than as nine +1/+1 counters for Mimeoplasm. I'm not in a hurry to replace either, but ideally they will become large hexproof monsters.

With Dryad Arbor, Deathrite Shaman, Tarmogoyf, and Hermit Druid all in the deck, Green Sun's Zenith is starting to become appealing again. Then as the game progresses, getting Lord of Extinction or Multani, Maro-Sorcerer becomes realistic. Again no plans to add the card just yet, but if I get 1 more small green creature I like I will start looking at what can be cut for it.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 10-22-2015 at 12:00 PM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Oath of Gatewatch changes:

- Terastodon
    + Sphinx of the Final Word

Very minor change. I am really happy with my collection of monsters. Moving to an almost entirely hexproof/shroud monster-base makes me more resilient than just going for the largest beater I can assemble. I no longer have to worry about Threaten or Control Magic effects. I am still a little susceptible to edicts, but I can play around them a bit with the handful of 1/2 mana creatures or green-fetch -> Dryad Arbor.

Kiora has been okay, but only just okay. I need at least 2 or 3 Planeswalkers to grow Goyf, so she'll stay for now.

I'd like to replace Pathrazer of Ulamog next when a new hexproof monster is printed. Triskelion and Lord of Extinction will ideally be the only non-hexproof/shroud reanimation targets eventually. That means Jin-Gitaxias might also eventually get cut.

Six basic lands is too many basic lands to use Hermit Druid the way I'd like to. Too often he only flips 5 or so cards and I'd like to see him consistently put 15-20 in my yard per activation. Based on my non-monster mana requirements, it looks like double Swamp is what I'd most likely need (Living Death, Dread Return, Liliana of the Veil, Bloodghast) even though 2 of those cards are unlikely to actually be cast from my hand. is Nostalgic Dreams and is Dig Through Time.
    I don't have anything in mind to actually replace the Snow-Covered Island or Forest yet...

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Shadows of Innistrad changes:

- Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    + The Gitrog Monster

A prior change I had been testing for a while was:

- Pathrazer of Ulamog
    + Pack Rat

Both changes were directly aimed at removing the temptation to create an unfun board-state with swingy monsters.
    The Toad can still provide game-changing card advantage, but I need to work for it. And if I have my Loam/Bazaar engine going, it's hardly work.

Pack Rat hasn't been something that has come up a lot since I put it in (which is a sign it should be cut).
    I did actually rush it out in a recent game and it basically consumed all my resources (mana and cards-in-hand) just to get an army of 4/4's. Didn't prove to be worth it...

Cards I'm looking to cut:

I'm still unhappy with some of the lands (Mana Confluence, City of Brass, 1 or 2 Snow Basics), but that is likely to continue for some time still.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Conspiracy 2 changes:

- Animate Dead
    - Dig Through Time
    - Golgari Charm
    - Pack Rat
    - Snow-Covered Swamp

+ Green Sun's Zenith
    + Vengeful Pharaoh
    + Thassa, God of the Sea
    + Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    + Dakmor Salvage

I swapped Animate Dead for Green Sun's Zenith a little while back and have been happy with that change.

Dig Through Time put too much pressure on my graveyard and this deck truly prefers a 'draw' effect than a 'look at and choose' effect.
    I do not believe I have ever actually cast Golgari Charm... and Pack Rat just isn't very impressive in EDH.

Dakmor Salvage and Vengeful Pharaoh meet the requirements and therefore have to be foil in this deck (they have an effect or ability that is relevant while in the graveyard). I am surprised I haven't tried out Pharaoh earlier and look forward to seeing how good/bad it is in the deck. Thassa increases the enchantment count for Goyf. She will never, ever, ever be a creature... but I think scrying every turn (before deciding to dredge or draw!) and making Mimeoplasm unblockable appears strong enough on it's own. Worst case scenario Thassa will add five +1/+1 counters to Mimeoplasm.

Leovold is the only card actually from Conspiracy that I am adding. He looks fantastic and is GSZ-able.

I have decided to keep 4 basic lands in the deck for Hermit Druid. Cutting the snow-swamp for Dakmor Salvage brings me down to 5. I will eventually cut the snow-island. Green is the most important color for me to have a redundant basic. I am still looking to cut Mana Confluence and City of Brass with CoB first on the chopping block. I'm hoping for the new Commander product to make something playable (closer to Command Tower than Opal Palace).

Thread Information