Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 115

Thread: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

  1. #1
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    [EDH] Cromat - Five Color Planeswalker Control


    I started playing EDH around the time of Lorwyn/Shards of Alara. I wanted to build a deck focused on the new planeswalker card type and had a few to choose from. Making this deck five colors gave me the excuse I needed to buy some dual lands but it also guaranteed that I had the option to play any future planeswalkers. As more were printed the deck grew into itself.

    The deck was designed to exploit two things:
    • Most players use creature based strategies
    • Planeswalkers are difficult to destroy


    38 Lands
    No room for basic lands! Using the duals and fetchs typically gives me access to all five colors by turn 3 or 4.

    32 Planeswalkers
    These are the Super Friends. Only one of each planeswalker type allowed.

    29 Other Cards

    The General
    • Cromat - Originally Cromat was selected to bind five colors. He has proven to be a reliable finisher capable of delivering 21 damage in three swings. His five activated abilities make him one of the most versatile creatures in Magic.

    I would describe this deck as "competitive" but not "ultra-competitive". It is strongest against creature-heavy decks or decks that rely on the general.



    I'm interested to hear about any cards I may have missed that a deck with a high planeswalker density can abuse!
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 10-16-2017 at 12:38 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    bokwinkle's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2011
    Location

    Syracuse
    Posts

    414

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    I think there are some possible cards that aren't necessarilly the best options...but they are still possibles:

    Steady Progress
    Throne of Geth
    Thrummingbird
    Lux Cannon
    Clockspinning
    Contagion Clasp
    Gilder Bairn

    There's a proliferate deck that's wandering around that is pretty funny and you should take a look at, it runs a ton of artifacts though (something I dont' think you can do without neudering your mana base) so I'm not sure how helpful it will be.

    I disagree with a couple of your creature choices, but it's more flavor than anything. I'd personally run Bringer of the Blue Dawn and Bringer of the Black Dawn over Frost Titan and Wurmcoil Engine because I prefer creatures that add utility, rather than just "beef" - but again, that's just personal preferance - frost titan and Wurmcoil are obviously fantastic cards.

    The other cards that I thought you'd take advantage of are:

    Lighthouse Chronologist
    Savor the Moment
    Time Stretch
    Time Warp
    Walk the Aeons

    Chronologist seems relevant because of counter manipulation, savor and walk seem relevant because you have no need for your mana once you have a couple of PW's on the board - I'd actually consider armegeddon to lock things up. Stretch and warp...well they're just good.

    Then there were a few utility cards that I was surpised to see you not playing with

    Eternal Witness
    Sterling Grove
    Duplicant
    Vindicate
    Jace Beleren
    Enlightened Tutor

    I'm mostly surprised about E-Wit, Grove and Jace since you run sun titan...I know you aren't running 2 forms of any PW's, but the second jace is pretty good and low on the curve too. I think Sterling Grove is the real gem in this group though - it kinda seems like a no-brainer, it either finds your enchantments or protects them...

    Lastly I'd probably run Filter lands (shadowmoor block) or Artifact mana over the Shards Tri-Lands - but that's just preferance.

    Very cool deck though, you did a nice job of making it competitive but not just utilizing the colors to make something broken. Very cool.
    Team Disqualified Poster - Because not everyone gets to be astronauts when the grow up.

    Original Poster to the Deadguy Ale thread when Jitte was suggested:
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    What? Is this the magicthegathering.com message boards? What would you take out for it? More importantly, what 10 creatures would you put in? This isn't the proper archetype for equipment of any kind-it's resource denial. This format is Legacy-for the most part, equipment is too slow.

  3. #3
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Thanks for the comments!

    Gilder Bairn would be nuts... unfortunately he needs to be tapped to actually use him.
    Contagion Clasp lost its spot to Contagion Engine. Throne doesn't have enough fodder with only 9 artifacts.

    Quote Originally Posted by bokwinkle View Post
    I disagree with a couple of your creature choices, but it's more flavor than anything. I'd personally run Bringer of the Blue Dawn and Bringer of the Black Dawn over Frost Titan and Wurmcoil Engine because I prefer creatures that add utility, rather than just "beef" - but again, that's just personal preferance - frost titan and Wurmcoil are obviously fantastic cards.
    Yeah I'd say those are personal flavor options. The bringers are also a cycle of formidable creatures. =)

    The Chronologist is a little blue heavy for my liking...
    Although I could see Time Warp replacing Mind Twist.
    Armaggedon would get me banned from my play group =)

    Quote Originally Posted by bokwinkle View Post
    Then there were a few utility cards that I was surpised to see you not playing with

    Eternal Witness
    Sterling Grove
    Duplicant
    Vindicate
    Jace Beleren
    Enlightened Tutor
    E-Wit is an excellent card but Naya Charm took her spot. I use it for tapping down creatures more often than grabbing something from the graveyard.
    Vindicate lost its spot to Maelstrom Pulse
    Sterling Grove just doesn't have enough to protect. I'd run E Tutor over it and I don't run that...
    You bring up a good point about Sun Titan and make me question if Inferno Titan should have that spot... Sun Titan mostly recurs my lands. There's only 12 or so permanents he can actually pull back. Hmmmmmm

    I'm fairly confident in my land base. I had playtested the m10/m11 dual lands in place of the Shards Tri-lands and regretted it.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-19-2012 at 03:27 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    bokwinkle's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2011
    Location

    Syracuse
    Posts

    414

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Yeah, most of my suggestions are player preferance, and not much that is going to drastically change or improve the deck.

    After goldfishing the deck a bit (I have a program that allows me to build decks and goldfish) I now understand what you mean by the lack of targets for enlightened tutor and sterling grove...there just isn't enough there. I found that when i went to make changes that I was adding a lot of "big mana" type stuff to tutor for, which didn't make a lot of sense with that many planeswalkers. Generally the deck lost focus and degenerated pretty quickly, so I tend to agree with your assessment here.

    In testing I had a hell of time finding a use for Tezz, Skullclamp, Lightning Greaves, and Sun Titan. Crucible also seemed a bit forced, although it did help with mana screw a couple of times. I felt like these cards could be re-considered for draw spells and/or powerful creatures. I also found myself wanting Tooth and Nail and Eternal Witness a lot. The deck is pretty creature light, so the equipment was a tough sell for me, and you already talked about Sun Titan.

    I did make some use of Tezz by swaping the tri-lands with some good artifact mana though, it allowed me to force through some great plays - I really think this avenue is worth exploring further. At first it seemed like a bad choice because most of the artifact mana was colorless, but there are a few gems like Everflowing Chalice and Coalition Relic that pair well with counter manipulation. And eventually I was seeing earlier PW's and the deck gained a bit of speed - quite a bit of speed if I saw Tezz.

    I also found chronologist very blue heavy and generally win-more...but he was pretty fun...lol. If I were going to run just one turn spell in this deck I would pick Walk the Aeons over Time Warp. The 1 mana more is insignificant in EDH, and you don't have to buy it back if you need the mana - but it's nice to have the option.

    I've really enjoyed fishing this out though. I think I might try and build a 5-color Planewalker deck as well - there will be some significant differences, but a bunch of planesalkers will be present.
    Team Disqualified Poster - Because not everyone gets to be astronauts when the grow up.

    Original Poster to the Deadguy Ale thread when Jitte was suggested:
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    What? Is this the magicthegathering.com message boards? What would you take out for it? More importantly, what 10 creatures would you put in? This isn't the proper archetype for equipment of any kind-it's resource denial. This format is Legacy-for the most part, equipment is too slow.

  5. #5
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    I'm glad you had fun testing it out! Did you have a chance to play Maelstrom Nexus?

    I agree with you about the weak slots!

    Tezzeret the Seeker - If I play Tezz then my first move is usually dropping 3 for Rings of Brighthearth. The following turn I'll kill Tezz by removing 1 and doubling the effect with Rings to get Sol Ring and Top.
    I was hoping the new Tezz would be something I could play in this deck. Unfortunately I have no way to abuse Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. I will more than likely keep Tezz until a better PW comes along (he's foil... and not the ugly Duel Decks one).

    Sun Titan - I'll start looking for an Inferno Titan. I have a bias against the Inferno Titan cause I'm an idiot, but he really does fit the slot better. My reasoning for running the Titan cycle over the Bringer cycle or others is the ETB ability. As you noticed I run VERY few creatures; mostly mana dorks. I don't expect any creature I play to live long enough to attack. Sounds stupid but at least I'm not disappointed when it does die, and if it lives then it's a bonus. With the Titan cycle I get an immediate benefit just for playing the creatures.

    Skullclamp - Broken with Bitterblossom or Elspeth... But after looking through my list, those really are the only cards it is good with. I'm keeping Bitterblossom and Elspeth no matter what, but I'll need to reconsider the clamp.

    Lightning Greaves - This was a test slot that I put in when I added the Titan cycle (imagine the deck with 5 fewer creatures than it currently has!). It's stupid with any of the Titans. Otherwise it kind of sits there. Before I added the Titan's this slot was actually a Sunforger. When I first built the deck I had each charm from the 2 tri-color cycles in it cause options are good. Especially options you can tutor for with Sunforger (each charm has either red or white and the CMC is 3!). I was also able to tutor for Undermine, Double Negative, and Punish Ignorance. Eventually only Bant and Naya Charms were left and the novelty of Sunforging for answers wore off...

    Crucible stays! It's my most common Target for Demonic Tutor in the first 4 turns as long as I've already cracked a fetch. And I already mentioned Mind Twist is on the chopping block, again preferably for an upcoming planeswalker...
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-19-2012 at 03:30 PM.

  6. #6
    Member
    bokwinkle's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2011
    Location

    Syracuse
    Posts

    414

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Yeah, I've played with Nexus before, it's a blast. Personally, if I was going to tutor for nexus a lot I'd probably run some evoke creatures and other stuff with alternate casting costs...at least Shriekmaw and Mulldrifter - especially with all of the 4 CMC walkers in here.

    Tezz - I think you have room to make him broken with just a few swaps of Artifacts for Lands...the accelleration really makes this thing hum.

    Titans - it depends on your playgroup. In my group I prefer bringers because people have a tendancy to work on their own board position rather than disrupt other people's boardstates - so I like to force big/dumb dudes on the board. Also the Bringers have a funny interaction with Nexus. I do appreciate the 187 feel of the titans though.

    Skullclamp - I'd replace it with blue sun's zenith, it pairs well with your countermagic, and it could also benefit from the long games associated with trying to ultimate PW's. This is another card that could benefit from artifact accelleration as well.

    Greaves - I hate this card. I don't even like it in decks where it's really good...lol. It is good with titans, I cannot debate that, and it can give your opponents fits if they are relying on sorcery speed removal...but I just can't get on board with it, because every time I draw it I'm on turn 50 and the board is clogged. Oh...and you can't tutor for Undermine with Sunforger...lol (I know you meant absorb). I've actually made an EDH deck specifically built around sunforger...it's a great card, but it doesn't take long to figure out that it's versatility is really limited in EDH because 4 mana instants are generally pretty underpowered (I also tried to use Isochron Scepter to take advantage of all of the cheap instants and I still couldn't get it to work).

    Crucible does provide some nice fixing - but there has to be some more things you can do with it rather that just provide fixing - especially if you are tutoring for it so often. There's an aweful lot of land out there that can provide some versatility to the deck - even something like Horizon Canopy would be decent.
    Team Disqualified Poster - Because not everyone gets to be astronauts when the grow up.

    Original Poster to the Deadguy Ale thread when Jitte was suggested:
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    What? Is this the magicthegathering.com message boards? What would you take out for it? More importantly, what 10 creatures would you put in? This isn't the proper archetype for equipment of any kind-it's resource denial. This format is Legacy-for the most part, equipment is too slow.

  7. #7
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    I just don't see myself taking out the Tri-lands for Artifact lands.
    I increased the board wipe count. The deck originally had a lot of sweeps. It was a mistake to take them out...
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-19-2012 at 03:32 PM.

  8. #8
    Member
    bokwinkle's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2011
    Location

    Syracuse
    Posts

    414

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Well, if you're going to be doing the 1v1's it makes sense to pack more removal because your dudes just won't come online in time.

    In other news....Karn? I think he's just one of a possible 2 that are coming in May. He seems a bit steep in the CMC, but he seems like a blast to play.

    Also, I'm not talking about ading artifact land, I'm talking about artifact mana (grim monolith, mana crypt, etc) - but I think you knew that.
    Team Disqualified Poster - Because not everyone gets to be astronauts when the grow up.

    Original Poster to the Deadguy Ale thread when Jitte was suggested:
    Quote Originally Posted by laststepdown View Post
    What? Is this the magicthegathering.com message boards? What would you take out for it? More importantly, what 10 creatures would you put in? This isn't the proper archetype for equipment of any kind-it's resource denial. This format is Legacy-for the most part, equipment is too slow.

  9. #9
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    You're right about artifact mana. I'm going to start looking around for the two you mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by bokwinkle View Post
    In other news....Karn?
    I didn't like Karn at first because I was distracted by the ultimate ability. Now I'm anxious for May so I can put him in.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-19-2012 at 03:34 PM.

  10. #10
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Updated the OP with my current list.
    Made some changes but looking to find cards to replace Umezawa's Jitte and Double Negative.

    I upped the 3cmc or less permanent count cause Sun Titan's back in. Added Pernicious Deed, Eternal Witness, Aura of Silence, Coalition Relic, and Tormod's Crypt. Ideally the replacements would be ramp but things like Darksteel Ingot just don't seem good enough... Looking for ideas!
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-19-2012 at 03:35 PM.

  11. #11
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2007
    Location

    Rochester
    Posts

    228

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Nihil Spellbomb also cycles, maybe better than crypt.

  12. #12
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    On the occasion that I have Tezzeret the Seeker and Rings of Brighthearth out I like being able to find 2 zero costing artifacts... Don't know if that's really a solid justification but that's my reasoning.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 03-12-2014 at 10:30 AM.

  13. #13
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    photos for those interested...





















    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 08-11-2017 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Fixed!

  14. #14
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Found out there is a photo limit of 11 per post...













    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 08-11-2017 at 09:50 PM.

  15. #15

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Really nice FOIL deck.

    I've got a Sliver Queen 5CC deck, more "unfair cars" (Mind Twist, Holistic Wisdom + Time Walk effects, tutors, etc), but I'm considering a switch tu Walkers for the sheer fun of it. Currently playing Superfriends in T2 (lame format), and lovin' it (relative to other options available, like the uber fun Delver deck).

    I'd look at adding Garruk Relentless, might be better than Primal Hunter.

    Isn't Sarkhan, the Mad better than its Vol counterpart?
    It's also scientifically proven that resolving Nicol Bolas during a competitive legacy event causes the caster's penis to grow a good two or three inches.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    But winning out of nowhere takes away the fun of grinding out your opponents with Manlands. Nothing is more satisfying than a game of Magic where you throw away half the fun, and claim the other half for yourself and leave your opponent with zero fun.

  16. #16
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Thanks! It's getting there.
    Holistic Wisdom looks like a blast to play (and it works with planeswalkers). I'm having doubts about how effective Bitterblossom is for me. HW might be a good replacement.

    Sarkhan the Mad's only useful ability for me would be the card draw and the top of my curve is high enough that he wouldn't draw too many for me. I've chosen Sarkhan Vol and Garruk, Primal Hunter over the suggested versions because of their interaction with Doubling Season. Both ultimate immediately and flood the board with double tokens.
    Last edited by Ace/Homebrew; 05-27-2012 at 07:33 PM.

  17. #17

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Hey Ace,

    I also am playing a 5cc Superfriends deck, however mine is going in a similar route as yours but I'm using more token generators, PW that creature tokens (garruk/eslpeth/sorin/etc) and enchants like the DGM red/white. Bitterblossom, elzdrazi. etc. Anyhow I modelled some of my card choices based on yours. But I also notice maybe some of your card choices could be changed.

    Arcane Sanctum
    Seaside Citadel

    I'm not a fan of CiPT. Try the white blue check land, and maybe the black blue? They almost always come into play active on T2. I think those lands are just horrible, and slow your deck down a bit. Also try City of Brass maybe?

    Now with the new legend rule, I think running multiple PW is fine. Jace AoT has been great for me, he weakens and helps defend our team, he has fact or fiction which is great, and his ultimate is awesome. Also sorin LoI is awesome for pumping out lifelink attackers/blockers.

    Sarkhan Vol

    I think he's bad. He does absolutely nothing, we can't combo using his Act of Treason and a sac outlet. Ya you can drop him with doubling seasons? But you can also drop Ajani v3 and do the same with cat army. He's just not worth it imo.

    Also hows FoW? Seem's like its an overcosted counterspell because we're playing 5 colors. I think Mindbreak Trap is just better due to the exiling and potenial.

    Now for board wipes how come your arent running DoJ as well? 4 mana wipes are just awesome. And trust me on this, seriously test Evacuation. This card is insane. EoT instant board wipe. Yeah it goes to their hands, but it bides you some turns before it comes down again. This card looks like crap on paper, but trust me. Playing with it, you'll understand. Same goes with cyclonic rift. I think these are a must. They do what you want your deck to do.

    Try luminarch Ascension, early its a house. Late its a diversion for your planewalkers. Also, Obzedat's Aid lets us recur our PW. Has been excellent so far. I really like your deck btw :)

    Ps: Sterling Grove deserves a mention, im trying to test it out. I have more enchants than you, but I still think its solid, esp with its low cmc and activation cost.

    Edit: Did you try the m14 resonator yet? I think ill give it a shot.

  18. #18
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    1,741

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Quote Originally Posted by Qige View Post
    Hey Ace
    Hey Qige, welcome to the Source!
    I'd be interested to see your list to compare. Post it here if it is real close to mine, otherwise you could always start a thread.

    I agree with your comments regarding the Shards of Alara tri-color lands. City of Brass would be an upgrade. The two I use are remnants of a time when I used the full cycle. They survived because they make and . My dream replacements for them are as-yet-unprinted man-lands... Well, maybe just one more man-land, preferably /. There is a very strong case to replace the other with City of Brass.

    The updated "uniqueness" rule definitely favors a Superfriends strategy! I did briefly search Gatherer for planeswalkers after the announcement but wasn't struck by any of the duplicates as a must-include. I suspect I use more creature sweeping spells than you. Unless I'm playing Cromat, my board generally has 0 creatures on it until suddenly it has an overwhelming amount. Three-mana Ajani is just plain bad in my build as his first 2 abilities will either be dead or win-more.
    I must defend Sarkhan Vol! His -2 is not often used, but when it is it is to great effect. His haste ability sometimes goes to waste but when I do puke out dudes, he gets them swinging right away.

    FoW sometimes is a 5 mana counterspell, but my meta has the occasional broken deck that needs to be kept in check. I fought its inclusion for a very long time, but now that I've given in I do not see myself cutting it. I am probably at the minimum blue count to make sure I can play it for free though (which isn't great).

    DoJ got cut when Supreme Verdict was printed. Strict upgrade. I prefer DoJ to Evacuation, although Cyclonic Rift warrants consideration!
    Resonator doesn't seem to work with this deck because there are very few triggered abilities... Rings of Brighthearth is nuts though!

    Thanks for the input. I am planning to pick up a Deathrite Shaman tonight to replace Nature's Lore. There will be 3 more planeswalkers in Theros and I am hoping at least one of them is playable so I can replace Phyrexian Metamorph with it. I hope to update those photos soon as well... There has been lots of changes and foil upgrades since those were posted!

  19. #19

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    Yeah, I'll post my list when I get a chance haha. I'm still working on it, I need the onslaught fetches and 9/10 dual lands lol. So I'm running a bit more lands like the orchards and some check lands a little bit more mana rocks to compensate for now. I really like that Assemble the Legions card. It gets insane pretty fast.

    I'm not sure what direction Deathrite Shaman is taking for your deck. He either destroys your recurring with crucible and or sun titan, and his lose 2 life ability seems irrelevant. What do you want him to do? I think he's a complete dud late game; sure he may be good at the beginning but he just hinders your deck later if you do draw a titan or Crucible. Just play lotus cobra if you want the temporary mana ramp. I think you should consider krosan grip. This card is combobreak galore. It destroys omniscience. Which is becoming some dumb shit in my meta. At a gaming store near where I work 3 regulars are always running infinite combos. I need cards like these to keep them in check. I think it should replace hull breach. 2 for 1's are nice yes. But Stopping someone from winning the game on the spot is much better.

    And I agree supreme verdict is an upgrade, but its also another card I would like to have in my hand. Having 2-3 board wipes in my hand is great. And I'm still set in stone about evacuation. I think it may be the most powerful board wipe in our deck. The instant speed is just too good. That being said, I'm not gonna pay 7 mana for rout.

    Whats your opinion on Obezdat's aid?

    AND OH YEAH. GIDEON CHAMPION OF JUSTICE. Dude hahahah he's insane. he's a card you have to test. Oh my god man. He's just a beat stick. One of the best planewalkers for me so far. haha . trust me man. Drop him in and play with him for a while. Also read his +1 ability. Combos insanely well with doubling seasons since we are putting on a counter for each creature ;). Lets say you play him and +1 him ok? hes lets say at 10 maybe? Now everyone is scared your gonna go off and destroy shit. Brings hate to him, and what do you care? If not you have a 10/10 next turn. Man run him. Test him. Play him. He's insane!

  20. #20

    Re: [EDH] Cromat - 5 Color Planeswalker

    http://imgur.com/a/loD05

    Yeah that's my deck so far. Like I said next big purchases are the true dual lands. I need 8 more. And the 5 onslaught fetches which, I'll replace the checks with. My mana base currently is fine. I rarely get mana screwed. That alter is a bayou. I think You should run city of brass. I also Like the two orchards. The one that taps for opponents land is better IMO than reflecting pool. Although once I get a copy I'm going to add that in. The tomb is good because of my high density of mana rocks and allows walkers to come out a turn earlier. Very good card. The terramorphic and wilds are shit. Haha. Until I get more lands, I'll swap them out. I really hate CiPT lands. Its too slow. Gem stone mine is actually not bad, since early turns it allows us to hit 4-6 drops where we really need to be in color as most of our walkers are in that CMC range.

    Ok so rather than my Okay mana base. The deck is pretty much running good. I'm going to go over my choices and I'm going to criticize your cards. And you do the same for me :). I want our decks to be as stable as possible.

    So for starters I'm running Progenitus. I'm going to give you my opinions, Why I think shes stronger than cromat throughout the course of my description.

    Ok. Elspeth v1. Is good. Ultimate into play with double seasons. Tokens are great. Her 2nd + ability is pretty much useless, however she has a really strong ultimate.
    Elspeth v2. Great that she gets us life back from all the chips of damage we take from fetch lands/shocks/ and ancient tomb. Many games I'm below 30 and they havent even hit me once lol. Her ultimate is scary and clears the way for complex board states so I can just cast Progenitus after. With doubling seasons, shes still alive and with elspeth 1's emblem it's pretty much a win.

    Gideon always good. Gideon v2, he's another type of rattle snake like elspeth being able to reset the board. He draws attention, even if you don't want to ultimate, everyone at the table is still going to be looking at him. He's a great beater. At 4 cmc, he's a walker we can play, loyality him up, and he will probably live to the next turn and you can board wipe or what not and you still have board advantage. I recommend you play test with him.

    Jace AoT. Awesome. His fact or fiction ability has always been above par, allowing me to get another walker or board wipe if needed. I really like that he can dig 3 cards.

    Ok tezz. If you drop him turn 5 . (well due to my mana rocks usually turn 4) He can put the disk into play if the board is out of your control or if its in control you can grab o-Stone. Both of these permanent board wipes are excellent. Also great for ramping using the mana rocks.

    Lilianna Veil. I think she does a great job in the deck. More often than not in the early game I don't use any of her abilities . Late game when we get more cards we can afford to pitch some from our hand into the graveyard and we start by doing damage to everybody. -2 sac a creature is also good for dealing with problem generals that are too quick for this deck. She is also 3 cmc. So more often than not we have nothing else to cast on T3. AND she can ult with doubling seasons.

    Garruk v1. I'm playing progentius and it allows me to get him out sooner. I really like his ramp. I agree he's not the best walker and can eventually be replaced. But I really like cheaper walkers and his tokens can be useful and allows me to push damage through with my general.
    Garruk 2GGG. AWESOME. this guy is bonkers with progenitus out. 10 cards. I'm winning the next turn or that turn almost always.
    Garruk Flips. MEH.. he does things sometimes. He's going to get cut.

    I run 12 board clears. I need a hallowed burial. Evacuation allows you to beat haste decks or just destroy someones tempo. You are going to need evacuation and cyclonic rift against cards like Eldrazi monument and these new Gods. Damnation isn't going to be enough. O-Stone and Disk. Run them. They are tutorable, they are recurable with Obzedat Aid. And they require the opponent to do a play around me style. And lets say you have that, and lets say one of the lillys or karn, not you start chipping their hand. and you lock them out.

    Mana vessel of endless rest. Or whatever. Haha! I like it. I've tucked reanimation targets from decks, I've recycled my own spells back into my deck. I can abuse it with venser. Haha man. until you play with it you won't appreciate it. Mana lith is just whatever. I'm also aware there is that spectral lantern. But I'm kind of happy with my mana base. Having alot of any color producing mana rocks really makes 5 color easy and ramping towards progenitus easier. Feliwar stone is great too. Because of its low cmc. Allows us to also get something out of our counter spell's cascade if nexus is out.

    Ok one problem with his deck is gas. We need huge amount of cards. So Sphinx's rev comes in very handy late game, we can get 5+ cards on it usually and some life back. garruk with progen is amazing like I said. Also since he dies as soon as he minus' you can Obezdat Aid him again if you need more cards. Progen also Cascades for anything in the deck with nexus. Another reason why I love him. I'm running 1 creature. Malestrom wanderer. Because 1st he's a 3 for one. Like I said, we need gas. secondly I don't like running creatures since most of our cards destroy creatures and if we have creatures that enables our opponents removal spells. he also grabs me a lot of cards with garruk. and enables my general to swing with haste.

    Luminarch ascension. Is love and hate relationship. I have mixed feelings because it does ruin cascading a 3 cmc spell. Bittblossom is shit. I'm going to replace it for the new elspeth. and that assemble the legions card. I found to be great. You kind of just drop it. And you create defense and attackers. Another note on Obezdat aid. This card has been STRONG. Usually if you have a dead walker in your GY, its because your opponent found it as a nuisance and being able to recur it is great. And yeah lets us recur ostone and disk.


    Ok so obviously my decks borrows a bunch of your ideas with the stranglehold and bant charm. and aura of silence. I like your choices alot man ! But now I have some questions and comments.

    Sarkhan Vol. Honestly. He's useless. His + abilities never did anything for me. If you want haste, just play malestrom like I do and you get way more value out of them than sarkhan. His ultimate is just whatever. 4 dragons that can't even 1 shot somebody is kinda weak. I see absolutely nothing to justify playing him. Lilianna Veil is going to do more work for you and shes a 3 drop. His ultimate is just too weak if thats the justification you are using.

    Gravetitan? He's bad. you drop tokens. and so what? Your hindering your board wipes now. Run assemble the legions its going to mass you more dudes and you can still wipe the board. And it combos with doubling seaons x2. Phrexian metamorph... What do you want to copy? Ask your self this. A creature? I rather just wipe the board. It does not put you ahead. What artifact would you want to copy. This card just seems okay or miss. Deathrite shaman. I don't understand.

    What's control magic doing for you? Again. Would you rather clear the board or would you rather steal a creature frailly. Plus it does not get haste making this card even weaker. What does batterskull do for you? You can't tutor it with tezz. It just seems out of place. I think haunted plate mail might do more for you because you can directly tutor it. It doesn't seem to fit the deck. It can block 1 creature and do 4 damage. Seems lackluster.

    Rite of replication. Card is powerful no doubt. Now at 9 MANA. I want to be winning the game. putting 5 threats which I have to rely my opponent to have since we're running barely any creatures, is just too... weak. Would you rather have 5 cool monsters or would you rather the board be clear? At 4 CMC i Rather play DoJ. Wouldnt you? Hull breach.. meh. sorcery speed is just meh. Run return to dust. Kills gods. Or Krosan grip is amazing. I'm going to put return to dust in as well. Maelstrom Pulse. Destroy is becoming weaker. Not going to kill gods, sorcery speed. Rather wipe the board or improve my board. I think for the most part ramping into our 5 drop PW is going to be more useful.

    Okay so Cromat? He's awkward a little no? Most of our planeswalkers were casting is between turn 4-7. When do you actually cast him? I almost every game get progentius out. every land I draw after Turn 8 becomes more useful in achieving him. Maybe your deck is better suited for him, but I imagine him being a little awkward to cast. Esp since you need to use mana for his abilities.

    I like library, p. deed, bribery and vampiric tutor. Demonic tutor too probably. I'm going to get some copies and try them out.

    Like you said before DoJ is worse than Supreme verdict, but I believe that DoJ is just straight up better than cloning creatures. Not going to edit this post. haha. Tired man. By the way I played in an edh tournament. I got 4 - 1 with this deck. Lost to rhys on a 3 card hand. Haha. I would have beat him next turn. But he had that green mythic card to recur his entire GY into his hand and yeah.. I had latern a land and DoJ. haha I couldn't believe it man. I almost beat his aggro token deck lol.

    Edit: I just bought decree of pain. Seem's solid. and Desertion seems way stronger than FoW. I'm going to throw that in. And a couple of other cards. :)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)