Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheat on camera in SCG Open Baltimore, really?

Jun 2012
    Berlin, Germany

Cheat on camera in SCG Open Baltimore, really?

Guys,

I just finished watching the 7th round match between Rudy Briksza and Todd Anderson from yesterday's SCG Legacy Open for the third time. I am pretty sure, during the his third turn of the second game of the match, Rudy Briksza makes a second land drop after wastelanding his opponent. Coverage can be found here http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/b/498351187 , watch from the 9:44:45 mark.

Does anybody else see it or are my eyes deceiving me?

Re: Cheat on camera in SCG Open Baltimore, really?

Without watching the video, I'm sure that you're not being deceived. Cheating isn't much of a surprise nowadays as it's common practice even in small scale tournaments.

No you're completely right.

The fact that he taps his dual drops the strand, and THEN plays his needle makes it quite shady.

Quote Originally Posted by Erdvermampfa View Post
    Without watching the video, I'm sure that you're not being deceived. Cheating isn't much of a surprise nowadays as it's common practice even in small scale tournaments.
    I think that is the same guy who only has to pay for tabernacle when it is not overly inconvinient for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Race War View Post
    <Carnage> fuck idiot learn education

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

I can't jump to the mark for w/e the reason. But I did this thing several times. It's becasue Wasteland, esp. when used immediately and under stress, doesn't feel like land drop, but more like a 0 mana Stone Rain. Thankfully my opponents always catched this... maybe.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post

The fact that he taps his dual drops the strand, and THEN plays his needle makes it quite shady.
    Yeah the way that he like put the strand and the needle in play in one swift motion makes it seem pretty damn sketch.

All this while he is tapping and untapping random lands and moving his permanents around afterwards and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Yeah the way that he like put the strand and the needle in play in one swift motion makes it seem pretty damn sketch.

All this while he is tapping and untapping random lands and moving his permanents around afterwards and such.

What a scumbag.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Jun 2012
    Berlin, Germany

Yeah,

the fiddling with his lands and the swift motion to drop needle and strand almost simultaneously and immediately passing the turn thereafter is what caught my eye.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Almost the same thing "happened" to my opponent at the GP Prague Legacy sideevent. He Wastelands me, then drops a land and passes.

I just looked him in the eyes. Kept looking. Starring. Eventually he acted as if he had forgotten about the Wasteland and put it back into his hand.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

So, should we call that move the "Julian's Gaze Of Death"?

Im tired of cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Almost the same thing "happened" to my opponent at the GP Prague Legacy sideevent. He Wastelands me, then drops a land and passes.

I just looked him in the eyes. Kept looking. Starring. Eventually he acted as if he had forgotten about the Wasteland and put it back into his hand.
    So instead of informing the dude he made a mistake, or instead of calling the judge, you've ClintEastwooded the guy?
    Again: I made this mistake several times, it's not like no one ever made any mistake in game of MtG. When you're under stress and think about your next, and next and next moves, Wasteland may simply turn into a Stone Rain. I'm not saying that the guy you played against wasn't cheater, neither do I defend the video-boy, but you acting like you acted makes me dislike the whole community more and more.

Jun 2012
    Berlin, Germany

One thing to notice is, that honest mistakes on the SCG feature matches are very frequently caught by either the commentators, the table spotter or the opponent.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    So instead of informing the dude he made a mistake, or instead of calling the judge, you've ClintEastwooded the guy?
    I just wanted to find out whether he was aware of what he just did. Also felt rather annoyed by his very hasty and nervous way of playing so I decided to literally give him a break.

I feel I'm still to lenient with judge calls at times.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

banned

Jul 2013
    black metal bed room

[QUOTE=Julian23;786420]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bed Decks Palyer View Post
    So instead of informing the dude he made a mistake, or instead of calling the judge, you've ClintEastwooded the guy? /QUOTE]

I just wanted to find out whether he was aware of what he just did. I feel I'm still to lenient with judge calls at times.
    But what would you do if he would just stare back? I think the proper way is to call judge immediatelly (see Bertoncini cause, we may only guess how many times he simply said "oh, sry, I'm stupid" and got away without warning), or at least quickly inform the guy he made mistake/cheated. (If you think he cheated, you should call the judge no matter what.) This way you gained nothing, only lost some time, which maybe didn't matter, but you can never know if you'll need those fifteen seconds.
    Moreover, the dude has lost nothing, and he learnt nothing, except for the power of your deadly gaze... If he really cheated, he in fact got away without any harm. If he was just a newbie/stressed, he once again learnt nothing, and you weren't even nice (that's what the newbies MAY deserve) or strict (that's what MAY help to the newbies).

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Posted two hours ago in Facebook:

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Bza
    Would like to apologize to everyone who saw my feature match against Todd and I would also like to apologize to him. After I wasted one of his lands I played a needle and then played a Flooded Strand. That was a huge mistake on my part and didn't realize it happened.

Regardless, I don't have a good excuse for it except that I was tired and nervous about the match up. I hope no one believes I did that on purpose. I'm sorry for my mistake. I will be more vigilant in the future. Make a mistake once, don't let it happen again.
    If he was a cheater, he'd place more consistently. Rudy is a good guy.

To call someone a cheater is not something to take lightly.
    Matt Bevenour in real life

The only one he ever feared
    Oct 2009
    Sweden's Jerusalem

I find it hard to believe he was cheating on purpose, it's not that well done, and it's something easily noticeable, and on camera at that. To think that anyone would attempt a new explore after Bertoncini is laughable, imo.
    Currently playing:

Canadian Threshold Primer!
    Team America

My blog about Legacy, limited, EDH and stuff!

Dec 2010
    North Atlantic Ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post

However he did not take advantage of this land drop. He did not use the land for this turn, and skipped a land drop next turn. Really sound like a mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by Anen View Post
    However he did not take advantage of this land drop. He did not use the land for this turn, and skipped a land drop next turn. Really sound like a mistake..
    Hey guys Rudy here. You are right I did play an extra land but it wasn't on purpose. I had less than 3 hours of sleep in the last two days and was very tired. As I'm sure many of you know magic can be a stressful game especially when you have many decision trees.

As some of you mentioned I fidddle a lot with my cards. This is something I did in every match I played and wasn't just in that match. I would suggest watching how I play first before you make assumptions about my motives.

I made a mistake and wasnt aware of it. In fact many peoe didn't including Todd and the table judge or the commentators.

I'm sorry I played an extra land it was an oversight and it isn't how I do things. I hope you can realize this was just a mistake and that not everyone can play perfectly all the time.

What baffles me are the absolute ridiculously huge balls these scumbags who *purposely* cheat (like Bertoncini did) *on* camera. As if being watched by two or three judges isn't enough, you've got thousands of eyes on your every move at home.

It's actually mind blowing when you think about it. I mean, are these people really that dumb?

@Rudy: I'm not necessarily referring to you, but other people who are notorious for this. And as far as "forgiving" these people because they did their time: not good enough. I have no mercy or sympathy for individuals who cheat at anything. It's not only morally reprehensible, it's unhealthy for the integrity of the game and gives it a black eye.

Is this much different than the on camera City of Traitors == Better Mana Crypt stuff from a few months back? You are trying to judge intent. The answer to all of this is to call a judge on any GRV no matter how innocuous at any competitive REL event. This will

a) establish a pattern if the player is a cheater
    b) scare some folks into tightening up their play if they aren't cheating
    c) scare a cheater into not establishing a pattern
    d) introduce an element of skill and concentration into the game

Thread Information