Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

  1. #1

    [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Reanimator Depths

    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Swamp
    1 Scrubland
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Lake of the Dead
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal

    4 Vampire Hexmage
    3 Griselbrand
    3 Grave Titan

    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    1 Unburial Rites
    4 Entomb
    3 Collective Brutality
    4 Thoughtseize

    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Coffin Purge
    1 Dread of Night
    2 Duress
    1 Massacre
    1 Keranos, God of Storms
    4 Pithing Needle

    Other Card Choices
    Platinum Angel
    Toxic Deluge
    Serenity

    So far I have a ~75% win rate in ~50 matches playing the deck on Magic Online. It's basically two-card monte, but gets to play two of the fastest broken combos in Legacy. The pieces synergize well (you can reanimate Hexmage to make a 20/20), and you have the backup plan of using Rituals and Lake to hardcast your guys.

    So far, the bad match-ups appear to be Miracles, Death and Taxes, and Storm. Delver is surprisingly favorable as you attack from a variety of different angles.

    Props to ewlandon for coming up with the deck.

    We have both been streaming it at twitch.tv/griselpuff and twitch.tv/ewlandon

  2. #2

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Great to see others brewing this as well. I've been testing a Reanimator Depths list for the past half a year or so, but using Living Wish and Primeval Titan in the main. I know Living Wish has traditionally been too slow in most lists but I like the utility and it's just a fun card.

    How has the Unburial Rites worked out for you? I tried it a few times but it just seemed so slow.

    PS: For added discussion, here's a Renaimator Depths list that Top 8'ed a tournament in Japan back in early May.

  3. #3

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    I had some decent results when I ran Jund Depths with a Reanimator sideboard. Against the likes of DnT, the important pieces were Smallpox and Punishing Fire package, plus Vengeful Pharaoh can provide decent control.

    A somewhat transformation sideboard could be something to consider.

    I think a few Not of this World could overperform in this deck, protecting Lage, Griselbrand, and sideboard targets (Iona).
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

    I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

  4. #4

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    If anyone has any ideas for beating storm other than being less unlikely or putting in 4x leyline that's my main concern right now.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date

    Jun 2011
    Location

    Dortmund/Germany
    Posts

    133

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by Ewlandon View Post
    If anyone has any ideas for beating storm other than being less unlikely or putting in 4x leyline that's my main concern right now.
    My first intention was adding Iona or Sire of Insanity to the maindeck, but i feel like Platinum Angel is the better fit as it is castable G1 (no idea what to cut though). Helm/Leyline of the Void works pretty good against storm and there is the option to play Trinisphere with Ritual in the deck.

    Kambal might be worth a try, not sure though.

  6. #6

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    1 Ruric Thar for the Storm matchup? Sire seems pretty damn good.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Played vs Ewlandon yesterday. I got griselbranded g1 and kept a no land, 2 leyline of the void, fow+blue cards hand for g2 and hexmage hit me 10 times. I really like the idea with an extra
    angle not only from a 20/20 but from that 2/1 aswell. Very good way to get around Jace/chalice on top of killing me :)

    Re: the decklist.

    1) I don't really understand 3 grave titans, how has it been working out? Good vs push and a way to combat deathrite/karakas but seems so... fair. If you want a castable fatty maybe a 1of gurmag angler/tombstalker fits the bill over the third? the yard will be pretty full so it's a lot easier to cast and flooding on grave titans with petals/dark rituals allready spent seems bad.

    2) what about unburial rites? Isn't Animate dead just better?

    3) As a way to fight combo/stackbased decks for monoblack the best thing there is has to be discard. I strongly advice 2 Liliana of the veil and 3 Hymn to tourach in the 75. This gives you a "plan" vs combo (Everything but sneak attack need more than one card in hand to win). It's also a great setup for blue decks where you side out your 1-for-2 cards for 2-for-1's instead.
    Liliana pitching fatties is great while she also kills some hatebears and a deathrite in a pinch. Discard also goes way up in value for postboard games where your opponent has to respect the fast combo and keep a slower hand leaning on their disruptive sideboard cards. I like 1 Liliana main and 1 sideboard and the hymns for postboard games. I have no idea how to construct this sideboard, which cards are currently cemented and which are not?

    Good job with the deck! :)

  8. #8
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2015
    Location

    PDX
    Posts

    691

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    1) 6 mana is a pretty easy point for the deck to get to; even with rituals/petals it's a turn 3 plan (Urborg + Swamp, or 2 Swamp -> float mana + Lake). It is a pretty good target against Karakas, fog effects (Mother of Runes, Wirewood, Quirion, Scryb, and again Karakas), LotV [not Leyline], and Maze of Ith. It is also specifically the correct choice against the mix of LotV, Maze, and Tabernacle all at the same time. Against non-FoW decks it's usually Grisel first, but Titan is the eventual backup wincon with highest chance of success [especially true in Depths mirrors].

    2) could play either, Unburial is an Entomb target in a deck that can pretty easily generate 4-8 mana (this deck hardcasts quite a few Grisels).

    3) this deck generally isn't ahead on board, and Lilly doesn't really fix that...you also can't really +1 her and support Collective Brutality escalations, and at the end of all that she'll never win a game. Any time you're in a Dark Ritual deck I think you're more interested in Liliana, the Last Hope as a turn 1 play that says opponent has 4 turns to live; she's not good vs combo, but she is one of the highest quality wincons with a +1 this deck can support and pretty good alongside Hexmage backed up by Entomb finding Darkblast (or any creature you're missing with a -2 activation, or just get the creature back to escalate Brutality again). Hymn or Sinkhole would be fine, but if you really wanted to kill combo specifically it's not that hard to power out a 3-Ball or Nether Void. The question against combo though would be why aren't you sideboarding in a way that makes your deck faster; everything listed previously seems worse than a turn 1 Grisel. I think @TTX has the right idea, 5 copies of a silver bullet (the other 4 copies being Entomb); if you can get away with one sideboard slot for bad combo matchups, it seems like the right call versus trying to turn into Pox.

  9. #9
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2016
    Location

    Austin, TX
    Posts

    20

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    This deck looks super sick! How do you sideboard against some of the more common matchups?

  10. #10

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    I have been playing Tin Fins Depths based on u/j_blinder mtgo:clone103's list that he has been playing online. It's definitely a lot of fun, a bit different from the lists here on the reanimator side but the same concepts apply. Win cons here are Lab Maniac after abusing Grisel/Children combo, Tendrils for lethal after a big Grisel turn, or Marit Laige for the win. LED plays great with Unburial Rites, Exhume and Shallow Grave. Can also be used to activate Thespian's Stage.


    Here is the list I have been using:
    4 Dark Depths
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
    2 Swamp
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

    4 Vampire Hexmage
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Laboratory Maniac
    4 Griselbrand

    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    3 Exhume
    4 Shallow Grave
    2 Unburial Rites
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask


    Sideboard:

    2 Collective Brutality
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Massacre
    2 Not of This World
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Toxic Deluge

    I have only played it at one actual tournament so far, but I went 3-0 beating RUG Delver, Shardless BUG, and Death and Taxes. Only dropped 1 game to DnT. You can really keep people guessing about your plans, and bait them into countering non-key spells. The deck's creator has a record of something like 75W-30L on MTGO since he has been tracking.

  11. #11

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    If you want combo hate, then you need Lost Legacy or Sphere of Resistance and Thoughtseize/Hymns. Check the Dark Depths thread. Enough interaction to delay and then kill them first.

    Or try 4x Chancellor, good to stop T1 kills and can effectively lock out Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

    I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

  12. #12
    Member

    Join Date

    Jul 2017
    Location

    MO
    Posts

    1

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by Ewlandon View Post
    If anyone has any ideas for beating storm other than being less unlikely or putting in 4x leyline that's my main concern right now.
    @Ewlandon
    After playing B/R Reanimator for over a year now, discard is key to winning the matchup.
    I recommend Children of Korlis + Unmask.
    Unmask will help you strip their hand after a fast Griseldad without worrying about extra mana.
    Children will help facilitate drawing enough discard spells // putting you out of range of a Storm Count: Three kill after casting Reanimate on Griselfather.

  13. #13
    Is Cancer

    Join Date

    Jul 2014
    Posts

    1,121

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by Ewlandon View Post
    If anyone has any ideas for beating storm other than being less unlikely or putting in 4x leyline that's my main concern right now.
    A few things (this is also the Queller guy from your shop btw), I think 4 Pithing Needle is going pretty balls out. I realize it's for a mix of Karakas and Waste, but you could (branching into the reason I'm posting) go with a Tutor board. My board effectively has 4 needles, while running 2. Similarly, you can run 2 canonist against Storm and potentially tutor Canonist with either Entomb->Reanimate or with Tutor EoT, cast. This often buys you 1-4 turns against storm in all but the "they have both the nuts and the kill card in hand."

    Your combo relies on only one spell (Hexmage) or an instant->sorcery (allowing you to cast across turns), giving you the ability to Entomb on their turn, reanimate on yours, even with canonist out. It could also branch out how you build your sideboard. If going this way, a singleton Sculler can also be hit by both tutors, and sculler is better than standard discard when you need it, because they can't flash back the spell. Lastly, ETutor can act as copies 2 and 3 of Seal of Cleansing, and your opponents (like myself) dropping Humility, Cage, Rip, etc.. can be insta-gibbed by a well timed cleansing.

    Second point: you should probably just run Cabal Therapy and get good with it. Thoughtseize is alright, but it actively hinders Reanimate and Griselbrand, and if the opponent has a hand with multiple interaction points you are unable to do anything about it. Therapy is also live from the grave allowing you to tutor interaction via a Hexmage or Grave Titan (!!!)


    To summerize:
    -2 Pithing Needle +1 Tutor, +1 Canonist (and consider a second tutor)
    -4 Thoughtseize, +4 Cabal Therapy

    Side note: Against Storm you should always start therapy by naming LED. LED Is the best ramp spell and enables Tutor even with awkward hands. Secondly, it's not live in the grave so PiF doesn't interact with it. LED hands induce keeps with Storm quite often, because of it's insane ramp-ness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

  14. #14

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by tescrin View Post
    A few things (this is also the Queller guy from your shop btw), I think 4 Pithing Needle is going pretty balls out. I realize it's for a mix of Karakas and Waste, but you could (branching into the reason I'm posting) go with a Tutor board. My board effectively has 4 needles, while running 2. Similarly, you can run 2 canonist against Storm and potentially tutor Canonist with either Entomb->Reanimate or with Tutor EoT, cast. This often buys you 1-4 turns against storm in all but the "they have both the nuts and the kill card in hand."

    Your combo relies on only one spell (Hexmage) or an instant->sorcery (allowing you to cast across turns), giving you the ability to Entomb on their turn, reanimate on yours, even with canonist out. It could also branch out how you build your sideboard. If going this way, a singleton Sculler can also be hit by both tutors, and sculler is better than standard discard when you need it, because they can't flash back the spell. Lastly, ETutor can act as copies 2 and 3 of Seal of Cleansing, and your opponents (like myself) dropping Humility, Cage, Rip, etc.. can be insta-gibbed by a well timed cleansing.

    Second point: you should probably just run Cabal Therapy and get good with it. Thoughtseize is alright, but it actively hinders Reanimate and Griselbrand, and if the opponent has a hand with multiple interaction points you are unable to do anything about it. Therapy is also live from the grave allowing you to tutor interaction via a Hexmage or Grave Titan (!!!)


    To summerize:
    -2 Pithing Needle +1 Tutor, +1 Canonist (and consider a second tutor)
    -4 Thoughtseize, +4 Cabal Therapy

    Side note: Against Storm you should always start therapy by naming LED. LED Is the best ramp spell and enables Tutor even with awkward hands. Secondly, it's not live in the grave so PiF doesn't interact with it. LED hands induce keeps with Storm quite often, because of it's insane ramp-ness.

    Not a terrible plan but I think it's way too slow (the tutor plan) to beat storm, I think Sire plus discard is how we beat storm just have to nut them and dodge discard basically.

    I've discussed therapy and in the end I think too many cards are good against us unlike with storm where you just name fow.

  15. #15
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2014
    Location

    Orange County, CA
    Posts

    418

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths


  16. #16

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Put together this deck a few days ago. Not sure what to make of it as I've been drawing either half and getting crushed.
    Solnox on MTGO

    Decks: Turbo Depths, Czech Pile, Aluren, Praise be to Hazoret

  17. #17

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by solnox View Post
    Put together this deck a few days ago. Not sure what to make of it as I've been drawing either half and getting crushed.
    I'll be doing a video series for CFB soon so maybe you can check that out. If I had to guess, I would say you are not mulliganing aggressively enough. Game 1 especially, mulligan down to 5 any hand that doesn't combo or buy a lot of time. You're really looking for either Dark Depths or Entomb because both of those mean you have 8+ draws that win.

  18. #18

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Just throwing out some ideas which may not even worth testing but in case you find them interesting enough to give a shot:

    - Does it worth to add Phyrexian Obliterator together with Shallow Grave? It can be hardcasted and can be used ass mass destruction weapon when opponent attacks by the help of Shallow Grave

    - Does it worth to add Abyssal Persecutor together with Innocent Blood? Abyssal Persecutor can be hardcasted and by using the interection with Innocent Blood opponent can be killed.

    - Is there a room for Shizo, Death's Storehouse in mana base?

  19. #19

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    I have been playing Tin Fins Depths based on u/j_blinder mtgo:clone103's list that he has been playing online. It's definitely a lot of fun, a bit different from the lists here on the reanimator side but the same concepts apply. Win cons here are Lab Maniac after abusing Grisel/Children combo, Tendrils for lethal after a big Grisel turn, or Marit Laige for the win. LED plays great with Unburial Rites, Exhume and Shallow Grave. Can also be used to activate Thespian's Stage.


    Here is the list I have been using:
    4 Dark Depths
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
    2 Swamp
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

    4 Vampire Hexmage
    1 Children of Korlis
    1 Laboratory Maniac
    4 Griselbrand

    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Entomb
    3 Exhume
    4 Shallow Grave
    2 Unburial Rites
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Thoughtseize
    4 Unmask


    Sideboard:

    2 Collective Brutality
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Grave Titan
    1 Massacre
    2 Not of This World
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Toxic Deluge

    I have only played it at one actual tournament so far, but I went 3-0 beating RUG Delver, Shardless BUG, and Death and Taxes. Only dropped 1 game to DnT. You can really keep people guessing about your plans, and bait them into countering non-key spells. The deck's creator has a record of something like 75W-30L on MTGO since he has been tracking.
    clone103 here.

    I've been discussing this deck some with ewlandon, and I've tried his version out (just one league; went 3-2). After giving it the test run, I still like my version with the Tin Fins style kill better, simply because it is more explosive. However, I will concede that in a fair format, this deck will perform a lot better, as it can grind/cast Grave Titan, etc. In my small sample, I found Lake of the Dead rather clunky, though I did use it some. I also found the Unburial Rites a bit slow without the LEDs. Sure, it is great as an Entomb target, but there is much more synergy with Lion's Eye. For instance, in my version of the deck, a hand like LED, Dark Ritual, Swamp, Griselbrand, Entomb makes turn 1 Griselbrand. Replace Griselbrand with second Entomb and it still makes T1. Unburial is really only good here when you have double Entomb and no Reanimation (or it gets countered), or like Collective Brutality/Griselbrand with no Reanimation. Even then you have to be able to generate 4 mana with a white. I'm not saying it's not worth the slot in ewlandon's version, just that it doesn't shine here like it does in the version with LEDs.

    There are a few things that I liked enough about ewlandon's list to switch some stuff around in my Dark Fins list. Collective Brutality is just a very good card. Others had suggested it, and I really didn't give it enough credit, even though I had been playing up to 4 in other versions of Tin Fins without Depths. I just wanted my deck to be as fast as possible, but Brutality is still probably worth an include. I have been playing 2 in place of two Lion's Eye Diamonds in a shell similar to the above. I also replaced two Shallow Graves with two Reanimate. This is more experimental, but Reanimate plays better with Collective Brutality (ritaual/Brutality/reanimate being a T1 line) and SG plays better with LED. Splits on both may seem weird, but actually it gives the deck some versatility; drawing one LED and one Collective Brutality is a lot better than drawing two of either. Same goes for Reanimate/SG.

    Another thing I am now doing is boarding out the Tin Fins package (Children/Labman) in the matchups where sticking a Griselbrand is good enough (basically any fair deck not running StP/Karakas).

    A note to Hovercraft or anyone who wants to try the Fins style deck: I def do not recommend Tendrils of Agony. It's just a win-more card, really. One of ewlandon's big complaints about my deck is that he hates drawing Labman and/or Children (although Children is pretty hot to just draw and cast against ANT). They are essentially mulligans, and that's true. Adding Tendrils just gives you one more mulligan, while not adding a ton. If you are fully going off, Labman will always get the job done. If you have Tendrils in your hand, you can never use it if you sac an LED--the labman just gets reanimated before you draw off the deep end. He is very reliable and the only kill condition you need (other than attacking a bunch of times with Griselbrand or once with a Marit Lage). Tendrils will win some games on the spot where maybe you couldn't quite go full loop (maybe you draw 14, can't make a children, but have a couple Rituals and a Tendrils. However, most of the time you win that game anyway, even though you "fizzled." After all, you just drew 14 cards!

    Shizo, Death's Storehouse is a card I didn't know existed. It is going straight in the deck. Will be very good against Turbo Depths, where you often have dueling Lages and eventually the Sejeri Steppe you.

    Here's what I'm on (4-1, 4-1, 1-0 so far).

    4 Griselbrand
    4 Vampire Hexmage
    1 Laboratory Maniac
    1 Children of Korlis
    4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    2 Shallow Grave
    2 Reanimate
    1 Unburial Rites (the first is one of the best cards in the deck, as frequent Entomb target, the second is ok but unneeded. It tends to not be a great natural draw)
    2 Collective Brutality
    4 Unmask (a card I also missed when playing ewlandon's version)
    1 Thoughtseize
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    2 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Depths
    4 Thespian's Stage
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse (not currently in my build, but will be next league)
    2 Swamp
    1 Scrubland
    4 Polluted Delta

    Edit: forgot SB. It's a work in progress.

    4 Pithing Needle
    2 Surgical
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Thoughtseize
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Massacre
    2 Seal of Cleansing

    I board out the remaining two LEDs (usually unburial also gets cut when LEDs go) in all the fair deck matchups, where going allin is less attractive, especially post board, and explosiveness isn't necessary. I board out Children and Labman if they aren't Swords to Plowshares decks. I still like to be able to power through StP and/or Karakas by winning on the spot with the Fins kill in those matchups. Shaving a Griselbrand or two is usually also a nice way to free slots post board.

    Edit 2: Just realized Shizo doesn't work against opposing Marit Lage. That makes it more "meh." Still maybe worth it, but much less exciting.

  20. #20

    Re: [Deck] Reanimator Depths

    Quote Originally Posted by Griselpuff View Post
    I'll be doing a video series for CFB soon so maybe you can check that out. If I had to guess, I would say you are not mulliganing aggressively enough. Game 1 especially, mulligan down to 5 any hand that doesn't combo or buy a lot of time. You're really looking for either Dark Depths or Entomb because both of those mean you have 8+ draws that win.
    Yes, aggressive mulligans are crucial. In fact, I don't tend to even keep 8 outers (especially on the play) when I'm on 7. Basically I want my hand (needing no draw steps) to make turn 1 or 2 Griselbrand, or at least a turn 3 Marit Lage. 8+ outers with a Thoughtseize or two are acceptable/good.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)