Thread: [Report] 2x Dreadstill T4/250$ RI tourny

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

[Report] 2x Dreadstill T4/250$ RI tourny

Okay so me and my team decided we were going to the 500$ cash RI tourny so we leave at 9AM and get there around 10:15AM. It was me, Stoohgenstein, vanele, and HammafistRoob. Rounds promply started around 12ish. Here was the list I played to T4. After a very successful tournament me, vanele, and stoohgenstein all T4'd along with Jaynel all taking home 125$ each. Two of us (Roodmistah & vanele) were playing Dreadstill.

My list

2 [MM] Island (3)
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    4 [IA] Island (2)
    3 [ON] Flooded Strand
    3 [REW] Wasteland
    4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (3)
    1 [B] Tropical Island

// Creatures
    4 [MI] Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [NE] Daze
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [SC] Stifle
    3 [CS] Counterbalance
    2 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [10E] Pithing Needle
    4 [OD] Standstill
    4 [DIS] Spell Snare
    1 [TSP] Trickbind
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 [DS] Echoing Truth
    SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 [6E] Chill
    SB: 2 [CK] Threads of Disloyalty
    SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip

Tourny off pure memory alone:

Round 1: UW Landstill 0-0-1
    G1: I drew like 2 Wastelands for my Standstill and a factory. He ends up popping it and I remember winning via massive card advantage to protect Dreadnought. He also swords I think two Noughts that game so it was my third.
    G2: He resolves Humility while I have Nought in play. I have two Krosan Grips in hand but can't draw any fetchland for about 11 turns and get beat to death via manlands.
    G3: I have CB/top on the field and a Dreadnought. He has Humility and on my turn I echoing Truth it to his hand. He's at 12 life, and I was engauged in conversation with people around me and accidentally somehow passed my turn after all that, lol. He EE's my Nought and we draw. In the long run it probally saved me because I went into the loser's bracket.

Round 2: UGRW Sliver Aggro (1-0-1)
    G1: I end up EEing like 3 of his 2cc creatures and from there on out counter alot of his spells. Dreadnought goes the distance.
    G2: I remember him StPing my Dreadnought but we go to a bit longer game and I manage to play a bunch of Standstills to draw and counter most of his spells. 2nd Nought wins it.

Round 3: RG Goyf Sligh (2-0-1)
    G1: I first turn brainstorm at the end of his turn hitting no 2nd blue source for my Counterbalance. He Wastelands my factory and I die a painful death drawing no other lands.
    G2: I take a gamble at I believe turn 6 Drop a nought on him after him killing his own Kird Ape from me Threadsing it via Lightning Bolt. He has no answers for him and gets beaten down.
    G3: I drop a Chill on him turn 2 which I think stuns him. He can't play almost any spells and his hand and dies to Dreadnought again.

Round 4: Ichorid (2-1-1)
    G1: I had absolutely no idea what my oponent was playing. He plays first turn City of Brass (SHIT im thinking to myself). Kept an aweful hand against Ichorid with Standstills and CB. I somehow manage to beat him down to 1 life via manlands but alas, Ichorid beatz me savagely with hasted tokens.
    G2: He cabal therapies my hand missing for Tormod's Crypt. I only had two Trinket Mages in hand. Next turn he flashes it back sacrificing his creature I in response Brainstormed and Crypted him twice from there on and won via Trinkets.
    G3: I kept an aweful hand with no lands but it had Force and Tormod's. Thing was, if i had drawn one Island I would have won because I had two Brainstorms and Dreadnought. Chances are I would've stabilized but it was a keep nonetheless and I draw no lands for about 10 turns and lose.

Round 5: Dragonstompy (3-1-1)
    G1: He reolves a 3sphere against me. I manage to chump block long enough to get a Nought out for 6 mana. And he goes the distance for me. I also remember countering key spells here like Slogger and another beater.
    G2: He plays Blood Moon when i have 3 Factories to chump block with. I proceed to get my skull caved in with a Gathan equipped with Jitte. Nought also got Ingot Chewed this game.
    G3: I mull down to 5. My hand was, Island Fetch Daze Standstill, EE.
    I play Island and pass. He plays first turn Chalice for 1 which I let resolve. On my turn I go EE for 0, Standstill. He doesn't draw a third mana source for a good 4 turns and I replenish my hand under Standstill. At this point he pops Standstill and I counter his 3sphere with Daze. I have Top in play now and Stifle/nought. Since I only had one Force backup to protect him I wait and eventually see Stifle on top of my deck. Nought comes in on my turn. His turn he Ingot Chews in response I activated Top and Stifle it. Just to be safe, I had the extra Force if needed for the second Chewer. Close matches

T8: UGR Thresh Control
    G1: We have a huge counter battle over T2 Counterbalance which finally sticks for me. He plays Goyf on his turn which CB misses. I die a painful death.
    G2: OMG this match was crazy. I had Stifle/Nought in hand since turn two but I knew he ran at least 3 Threads in his deck so I waited an extremely long time. He somehow manages CB/Top against me. At this point all that's in my hand is Nought x2/Stifle. Luckily he has no clock and we both go a good 7 turns without doing much draw go. On my turn I luckily topdecked Grip finally and at the end of his turn I gripped. Still had to find an answer for Threads.
    For the most part all I had been topdecking were random useless lands. Two turns pass and I topdeck Grip. So I go Stifle/Nought which he let resolve. His Threads it on his turn which I expected. On his next turn he swings and I grip the Threads. He has no answers for it at this point and dies a painful death. I felt incredible lucky this game but I played it almost too passively.
    G3: I wasteland his opening turn Trop. His next turn he drops Volc, Top. On my turn I just play an Island and pass. He tops during his upkeep and finds no lands. He manages to Force two of my spells (One of which I think is Counterbalance other is unknown). He still hits no lands his next turn and on my turn I play Dreadnought/stifle. He has a 3rd Force waiting for me (WTF?) but I have the second Stifle and get off Nought. This way incredible intense, but Dreadnought goes all the way for me and wins it.

My teammate Vanele also managed to T4 with almost the exact same list as me but I knew he lost to the UGR Control Thresh in the normal rounds. He will post a tourny report most likely himself.

His list:
    / Lands
    2 [MM] Island (3)
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    4 [IA] Island (2)
    3 [ON] Flooded Strand
    3 [REW] Wasteland
    4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (3)
    1 [B] Tropical Island

// Creatures
    4 [MI] Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [NE] Daze
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [SC] Stifle
    3 [CS] Counterbalance
    2 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [10E] Pithing Needle
    4 [OD] Standstill
    4 [DIS] Spell Snare
    1 [TSP] Trickbind
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 [DS] Echoing Truth
    SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 [US] Back to Basics
    SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 [BOK] Threads of Disloyalty

Props:
    Hammafist for taking 3 of the top 4 slots
    Dreadstill for repping two of the top 4 spots
    My oponents, for being awesome and nice
    Jaynel for being a tank and owning every tourny he plays in almost
    Winning 125$
    Spicy Chicken for owning savagely
    Dreadnought for being so awesome

Slops:
    Me for drawing first round when I had won it
    Keeping an aweful hand against Ichorid G3
    My stomach for feeling like shit most of the day

I had a really nice time thanks everyone who came. Very well run tournament
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Re: [Report] 2x Dreadstill T4/250$ RI tourny

Good job Rodney, if you keep this up Dreadstill will soon be in the DTB Forum where it belongs.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

bring me water!
    Feb 2008

hmmm way to go man......cant wait till indi those side events are mine.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Gratz bagel. Great job as always. so you've now top 8'd in your last 5 20+ player legacy tournaments with Dreadstill not too shabby.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Sep 2005
    Cape cod, Massachusetts

Lol way to blame it on Conversation, even though we both know you screwed up yourself.

My thoughts were:
    SB: 3 [US] Back to Basics = Terrible sideboard cards, taping out turn 3 or waiting till Turn 4+ = not a good strategy. Chills were not available, though I'm not exactly sure chill is the right call. personally I'd have run Bebs

I found combo fairly quickly though there were those odd situations where i would hit Stifle + top. Standstill was perfect every draw. I'm not positive on Counterbalance combo. As i often pitched the balance to force for turn 2/3 naught.

I'm tempted to make it a faster combo but at what cost.

Thread Information