Page 107 of 197 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111117157 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

Quote Originally Posted by wasabizod View Post
    I had toyed with a hangar back/shrapnel blast version, but it felt very "win more" so I'm not sure what the creature suite should be.
    Here are Ensnaring Bridge / Planeswalker lists from a while back:

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=15415&iddeck=114568
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=13668&iddeck=100433

Man, I'd love to get to use Forcefield...

Nov 2010
    Wisconsin

Hangarback seems really bad in a format where the premier removal is STP and Terminus.

I'm also wondering if equipment is really worth running at the moment with all of the control decks running around. I seems like it's easy to punish us when we play a non-threat for a turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by danpo View Post
    At minimum I'd say it outclasses Beetleback Chief.

Sep 2015
    SF Bay

Yeah, Hangarback is not ideal, but those decks look similar to what I'm running. Forcefield would be super interesting, may try for some (heyyyyyy ebay).

I need to pick up some Jaya Ballards and give her a shot. Seems like a great way to cycle your hand. I find Koth much better than Chandra, though I guess if I ran Slagstorm or Magma Jet, her ultimate would work.

What's the minimum amount of lands? I'm running Chrome Mox and Lotus Petal, which may be overkill.

Also, how do you deal with a resolved Elesh Norn? :-( Any good artifacts for that?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I find Koth much better than Chandra, though I guess if I ran Slagstorm or Magma Jet, her ultimate would work.
    I lived the dream and ultimated Chandra, Pyromaster into Fiery Confluence once or twice. But I've wiffed with her just as many times...

Sep 2015
    SF Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I lived the dream and ultimated Chandra, Pyromaster into Fiery Confluence once or twice. But I've wiffed with her just as many times...
    How well did Fiery Confluence work in the deck?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

It was okay. It's a great sideboard card. I had thrown together a list with Qal Sisma Behemoth, Thunderbreak Regent, and Koth/Chandra. I didn't really tune the list, just threw it together for a weekly to see how good Fiery Confluence is.

I think if you build with minimal creatures or only use creatures with big butts, your sideboard should contain a copy or two. I'm on a Moggcatcher kick right now though and Desert Sandstorm doesn't play well with a team of 1/1s...

I'm newish to this archetype, but why do we have such an emphasis on playing goblins? It seems like goblins themselves are much better set up to do this with Aether Vial. I can see how things can kind of cascade upwards in terms of number of threats on the board, but isn't our hope to put a lock in place and then beat them with better threats?

I also play merfolk so I'm not against the swarm approach, but I've been pretty successful in the league recently with a bridge/chalice/moon approach and Koth, Rabblemaster, and Pia and Kiran.
    It isn't about goblins, so much as it is about Moggcatcher. An unawnsered Moggcatcher will beat pretty much anything. While the other cards are all threats, Moggcatcher is both the threat and the answer.

If you need to deal with a big thing, get Stingscourger.
    If you need to deal with a little thing, get Redcap.
    If you need to block multiple things, get SGC.
    If you need to Kill quickly, get Rabblemaster.
    If you need to pump the team, get Boartusk.
    If you need to reestablish a blood moon or trinisphere lock, get Settler.
    If you need to take care of an artifact, get Scrapper.
    If you need to do any of it again, get Kiki.

There are some weirder Sideboard cards as well, but basically, it is really hard to lose with an unanswered Moggcatcher on board, even if you are behind. The ability to get Seige Gang, and then Kiki to keep pumping out chump blockers simply overtakes most games.

Additionally, Moggcatcher kills extremely fast. Let's say you have a blood moon lock on and are looking to finish the game quickly before they draw out of it. You have a moggcatcher on turn 3. On turn 4, you get a rabblemaster and hit them for 1. Then the next turn you get a kiki-jiki and hit them for 15. That is a hell of a clock from your utility tutor package.

Sep 2015
    SF Bay

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post
    It isn't about goblins, so much as it is about Moggcatcher. An unawnsered Moggcatcher will beat pretty much anything. While the other cards are all threats, Moggcatcher is both the threat and the answer.

There are some weirder Sideboard cards as well, but basically, it is really hard to lose with an unanswered Moggcatcher on board, even if you are behind. The ability to get Seige Gang, and then Kiki to keep pumping out chump blockers simply overtakes most games.

Additionally, Moggcatcher kills extremely fast. Let's say you have a blood moon lock on and are looking to finish the game quickly before they draw out of it. You have a moggcatcher on turn 3. On turn 4, you get a rabblemaster and hit them for 1. Then the next turn you get a kiki-jiki and hit them for 15. That is a hell of a clock from your utility tutor package.
    ZTurgeon - thanks for that. I realized Moggcatcher was a bit of a utility but hadn't had it explained like that before.

I'm not on the goblins kick yet, but I'd love some feedback about sideboarding from all of you for tonight's weekly legacy event. Here’s the average meta for the past few weeks:
    • Death and Taxes
    • Shardless BUG
    • Grixis Delver
    • Eldrazi
    • Pox
    • Storm
    • RUG Delver
    • Infect
    • Hawk rack
    • Goblins
    • Dredge
    • Aluren
    • Miracles
    • Affinity

We usually have 20+ people show up, so it can be a mixed bag.

Here's what I was planning to run:

1x Batterskull
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Trinisphere
    4x Blood Moon

3x Koth of the Hammer
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    3x Magus of the Moon
    3x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Spellskite

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    7x Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    3x Boil
    2x Dismember
    1x Relic of Progenitus
    2x Shattering Spree
    3x Thunderbreak Regent
    4x Tormod's Crypt

This was pulled from what I've been playing on MTGO. I also have Batterskull (3), Sword of War and Peace (2), Umezawa's Jitte (2) and other swords. I may try running a Jitte as well or instead of the Batterskull since it allows me to sneak under the Bridge with my thopters and goblins, but would love feedback. I'd been running 21 lands up until recently, so I added a third Koth and the equipment.

ZTurgeon - thanks for that. I realized Moggcatcher was a bit of a utility but hadn't had it explained like that before.

I'm not on the goblins kick yet, but I'd love some feedback about sideboarding from all of you for tonight's weekly legacy event. Here’s the average meta for the past few weeks:
    • Death and Taxes
    • Shardless BUG
    • Grixis Delver
    • Eldrazi
    • Pox
    • Storm
    • RUG Delver
    • Infect
    • Hawk rack
    • Goblins
    • Dredge
    • Aluren
    • Miracles
    • Affinity

We usually have 20+ people show up, so it can be a mixed bag.

Here's what I was planning to run:

1x Batterskull
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Chrome Mox
    3x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Lotus Petal
    2x Trinisphere
    4x Blood Moon

3x Koth of the Hammer
    4x Goblin Rabblemaster
    3x Magus of the Moon
    3x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Spellskite

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    7x Mountain

Sideboard (15)
    3x Boil
    2x Dismember
    1x Relic of Progenitus
    2x Shattering Spree
    3x Thunderbreak Regent
    4x Tormod's Crypt

This was pulled from what I've been playing on MTGO. I also have Batterskull (3), Sword of War and Peace (2), Umezawa's Jitte (2) and other swords. I may try running a Jitte as well or instead of the Batterskull since it allows me to sneak under the Bridge with my thopters and goblins, but would love feedback. I'd been running 21 lands up until recently, so I added a third Koth and the equipment.

You have so much mana. You are looking at 33 mana sources with this deck, which is way more than you need. Normally you are looking at 20-21 land, 4 guides and 3-4 mox. You have all of those maxxed, and have 4 petals on top of that. You could easily sneak in a few more lock peices or threats and still play them all consistently.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

4x Great Furnace
    The synergy with Pia & Kiren is not worth the possibility of being more vulnerable to Wasteland prior to Blood Moon, or generic artifact destruction.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    The synergy with Pia & Kiren is not worth the possibility of being more vulnerable to Wasteland prior to Blood Moon, or generic artifact destruction.
    Agreed. I can only see running those if you are in a full artifact package that uses them, perhaps with Daretti as well.

But making yourself worse for a 3 mana shock from a 3-of doesn't seems worth it.

What's the minimum amount of lands? I'm running Chrome Mox and Lotus Petal, which may be overkill.

Also, how do you deal with a resolved Elesh Norn? :-( Any good artifacts for that?
    20-21 lands, 7-8 acceleration

Re elesh norn- I just pick my cards

Edit: I was thinking of Iona, although I don't think this deck really has an answer to elesh Norn either.

Confluence was amazing for me. Played 1 main 2 in the board. So much utility. I played it in the mono humans build. Can also just be A strictly better lava axe to end games if they start to break through your lock before you've got em dead.

Sep 2015
    SF Bay

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROorDIE View Post
    20-21 lands, 7-8 acceleration

Re elesh norn- I just pick my cards

Edit: I was thinking of Iona, although I don't think this deck really has an answer to elesh Norn either.

Confluence was amazing for me. Played 1 main 2 in the board. So much utility. I played it in the mono humans build. Can also just be A strictly better lava axe to end games if they start to break through your lock before you've got em dead.
    I meant Iona, you're right. Iona makes me feel like the artifact route is better if Reanimator is strong in my meta.

Koby, ZEROorDIE, and ZTurgeon - Many thanks.

So, a few questions -> Should I run mountains or Cavern of Souls in place of the Furnaces?

If I remove the petals, do I go for more lock pieces, or is 4 Moon, 4 Chalice, 3 Bridge, 2 Trinishphere enough? I could see adding mountains, Prophetic Flamespeakers and some swords/jittes in place of the P&K package. That may allow me to sneak under the bridge. Or, I could add maindeck Phyrexian Revoker, Scuttling Doom Engine, and Shrapnel Blast and go the artifact route.

The Flamespeaker/Sword route seems easier and stronger, so maybe I'll give that a run tonight.

Really appreciating all the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTurgeon View Post

in the lists of recommended moggcatcher which side the destination that is currently located?

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    in the lists of recommended moggcatcher which side the destination that is currently located?
    Can you ask again using different words? Your sentence did not make any sense.

Can you ask again using different words? Your sentence did not make any sense.
    I meant a sample side

Sep 2015
    SF Bay

I've been running the deck through a lot of open play on MTGO and it's been very successful so far. Rabblemaster is really worth his weight in gold. I've beaten Miracles, Eldrazi, Burn, Delver, Merfolk, and Elves, but keep running into trouble with Goblins and Reanimator.

How do you all tend to deal with Goblins? Anger of the Gods? I feel like I'm always behind in that matchup. Reanimator also feels like a challenge since chalice doesn't stop Exhume and they typically run swamps which gets around blood moon. Bridge can help, but Iona is a fierce overlord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

I've been running the deck through a lot of open play on MTGO and it's been very successful so far. Rabblemaster is really worth his weight in gold. I've beaten Miracles, Eldrazi, Burn, Delver, Merfolk, and Elves, but keep running into trouble with Goblins and Reanimator.

How do you all tend to deal with Goblins? Anger of the Gods? I feel like I'm always behind in that matchup. Reanimator also feels like a challenge since chalice doesn't stop Exhume and they typically run swamps which gets around blood moon. Bridge can help, but Iona is a fierce overlord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Goblin Pyromancer :)
    Its hard to keep up with Ringleaders and hasty cost reductors tho. Caltrops perhaps?
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

I went 5-4 at the SCG Open yesterday. I built with the Eldrazi menace in mind. Of course the closest I came to playing it was sitting next to them...

10 Mountain
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ensnaring Bridge

3 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    4 Magma Jet
    2 Sudden Shock
    3 Fiery Confluence
    4 Koth of the Hammer
    2 Chandra, Pyromaster

R1 - Tin Fins, 2-1
    R2 - Rw Painter, 0-2
    R3 - 12 Post, 2-0
    R4 - RUG Delver, 2-1
    R5 - Shardless BUG, 1-2
    R6 - Death & Taxes, 1-2
    R7 - The Gate, 2-0
    R8 - 2-0, Something with Dark Depths, Sword of the Meek, Ensnaring Bridge, Chalice of the Void, Dimir Signet, Bayou
    R9 - Burn, 1-2

It was shit luck getting paired against Painter round 2. My games against Shardless and D&T were close. I had outs, just couldn't get them in time. My last match against Burn was tough. Ancient Tomb is brutal for us there.

Fiery Confluence is an awesome card!

Thread Information