Quote Originally Posted by Jelmerz77 View Post
You play 2 Magus main, if you are a prison deck you should at least play 8 Moon effects. (Unless you can tutor for 1 like in most painter lists)
I have not seen Walking Ballista a staple in any lists and it doesn't look synergetic with the other cards in your list. I might even say that Hangarback Walker would have more synergy.

And why Snowcovered Mountains? Just for flavor or is there a reason behind it?
I originally ran the list with 3 magus main but felt that I was seeing too many of them.

I tested walking Ballista out when I was still missing a few pieces and every time I've played it it's been useful, it can be a mini sweeper/instant answer, it can put pressure on the opponent with swinging and/or just pinging them.

I opted for snow-covered Mountains just to distract the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
I've never been happy whenever I've tried out Spellskite. The Pithing Needles should arguably be Phyrexian Revokers.
But definitely 4 Maguses in the maindeck.

Here's some 'stock' lists for reference:
http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=23186&iddeck=179652
http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=23117&iddeck=179094
http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=23067&iddeck=178510
http://tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=22970&iddeck=177715
I'm iffy on spellskite as well but still testing it out.

My main concerns with revoker are that it can't target lands and it's a creature with 1 toughness (a nonbo with fiery confluence) to sweep a board.

Thanks for the stock lists.

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
I too have played painter for years and maybe that's what i saw in your list. You're wanting to spread yourself out more to cover more bases, but heed my advice and learn to play a stock list. There's several different flavours of the deck, i like goblin the best. Suit your style.

In essence lose the walking ballista for magus 7 and 8, move some number bridges to the side for extra copies of confluence, trade koth for chandra, cavern can go in lieu of basics or cavern of souls. Then you pretty much have a stock maindeck. Do you know what your bad match ups are? Base your side board around that, not what you expect to see. This is a hate.dec so your linear strategy guides decision making on which hands to keep and what cards to take out to side in. I believe fully that this deck needs to be able to play control as well as beat down in any given game.

Going back to your list,if you're just picking this deck up, go stock your first few tournaments. And take a stack of sideboard cards with you to the tournament and scout it out and fill in your side board registration on the spot. Hate 'en out bro
I believe that my playstyle is very prison oriented.

So far I've done about 3/4 fnms with the deck and I'm going 2-1 every time. My losses coming when I'm mana screwed or against a more experienced prison pilot (he runs a mono white prison deck with humility). I am concerned about enchantments because I have no way of removing them.

I'm usually playing as the control player haha.

Thanks all for the suggestions, feedback and advice. :)