Page 153 of 197 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

  1. #3041

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Did a quick search and you could accomplish that effect with Mizzium Transreliquat. Useless, but neat.
    Last edited by Claymore; 06-22-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Wrong trash card
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

    I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

  2. #3042

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    This is weird, aren't you both saying very similar things? In the late game, SSG and equipment are pretty codependent. Equipment isn't useful without creatures, and SSG is ok without equipment against an empty board, but in you could win with anything if you have board control. I'd say neither fits the bill if you're looking for cards that can individually dig you out of holes. (Of course SSG is useful for acceleration etc., but we're talking about topdeck utility.)
    Sort of saying the same thing. Except Simian Spirit Guide isn't getting cut - it definitely stays in the deck. Equipment is optional, but my argument is SSG without equipment is rather terrible. If you run a few equipment, now SSG becomes a decent finisher - 3 turns instead of around 10. Those extra 6-7 turns means your opponent can draw a new hand's worth of cards to get themselves out of the hole.

    Assume you'll never had board control the rest of the game through, no matter what you resolve - like Tarmogoyf, just try to finish them fast. Assume your Chalice / Moon is only going to slow them down, because there's always a way out of it, and just finish them fast. SSG can do that only with equip.

    And of course, rando tokens that are left over from Rabbles or Hanweir are also super good when suited up. Equip by itself is a bad TD, but quite frankly, your threat density is high enough that you should find a dude in 2-3 turns, even on an empty board.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

  3. #3043

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Equipment + Bridge mixes badly.

    Equipment without Bridge versus creature/midrange decks can help us grind using SSG, Rabblemaster, Sin Prodder, Dragons. My personal favorite thus far has been Jitte due to the lower cmc and versatility, but protection of any Swords of your choice can help against creature removal and when blocking against a crowded board.

  4. #3044
    Member

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Posts

    1,424

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    What problem is a piece of equipment solving for this deck?

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  5. #3045

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    What problem is a piece of equipment solving for this deck?

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Bad topdecks in the form of SSG (and Sin Prodder, not that good), removal beyond Fiery Confluence, and the fact that Bridge stinks unless you're on Moggcatcher. And that Bridge has all of 4 Chandra to synergize with - not a great gameplan. (Hazoret is the worst Cursed Scroll I've seen, btw.)

    You have a chance not to lose to Punishing Fire, TNN, Flickerwisp (ie remove DnT's other dudes), and of course Decay / Krosan Grip. I'd assume an active DRS is also a problem here, when a Moon doesn't stick.

    Not running Bridge also makes your mass of creatures swing. You run a lot of creatures. Equipment makes those creatures decent threats.

    EDIT: Forgot SFM + Jitte. Forgot Reclamation Sage. Probably forgot another card or two. Burn. IDK what else.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

  6. #3046

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Equipment + Bridge mixes badly.

    Equipment without Bridge versus creature/midrange decks can help us grind using SSG, Rabblemaster, Sin Prodder, Dragons. My personal favorite thus far has been Jitte due to the lower cmc and versatility, but protection of any Swords of your choice can help against creature removal and when blocking against a crowded board.
    Jitte is great. I think 4-5 equip is fair - I ran 6 for a bit, and I got an opening hand with half my equip, no threats. Some mix of SoFI / Jitte seems the best.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

  7. #3047

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Bad topdecks in the form of SSG (and Sin Prodder, not that good), removal beyond Fiery Confluence, and the fact that Bridge stinks unless you're on Moggcatcher. And that Bridge has all of 4 Chandra to synergize with - not a great gameplan. (Hazoret is the worst Cursed Scroll I've seen, btw.)

    You have a chance not to lose to Punishing Fire, TNN, Flickerwisp (ie remove DnT's other dudes), and of course Decay / Krosan Grip. I'd assume an active DRS is also a problem here, when a Moon doesn't stick.

    Not running Bridge also makes your mass of creatures swing. You run a lot of creatures. Equipment makes those creatures decent threats.

    EDIT: Forgot SFM + Jitte. Forgot Reclamation Sage. Probably forgot another card or two. Burn. IDK what else.
    EDIT 2: Planeswalkers are the worst, including Jace TMS and Liliana otV.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

  8. #3048
    Member

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Posts

    1,424

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    Bad topdecks in the form of SSG (and Sin Prodder, not that good), removal beyond Fiery Confluence, and the fact that Bridge stinks unless you're on Moggcatcher. And that Bridge has all of 4 Chandra to synergize with - not a great gameplan. (Hazoret is the worst Cursed Scroll I've seen, btw.)

    You have a chance not to lose to Punishing Fire, TNN, Flickerwisp (ie remove DnT's other dudes), and of course Decay / Krosan Grip. I'd assume an active DRS is also a problem here, when a Moon doesn't stick.

    Not running Bridge also makes your mass of creatures swing. You run a lot of creatures. Equipment makes those creatures decent threats.

    EDIT: Forgot SFM + Jitte. Forgot Reclamation Sage. Probably forgot another card or two. Burn. IDK what else.
    Honestly a piece of equipment is as bad a topdeck as ssg sometimes but ssg technically can win a game on its own. Cutting one for equipment lowers the consistency of the deck. A higher consistency in the deck leads to over all better topdeck. Mind bullets.

    However feel free to add one in a flex slot. I do run a good moggcatcher build so even given the chance I don't

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  9. #3049

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    What problem is a piece of equipment solving for this deck?

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Jitte:
    -1/-1 counters from a colorless source to kill Mother of Runes, Phyrexian Revoker naming Chandra/Moggcatcher and Sanctum Prelate on 4. Also randomly good at killing elves and getting rid of opposing Bridges vs Dredge by killing our own guys. Also has the options to offset opponent's clock/storm count with life gain and to speed our clock by buffing. The potential of the buffs can also make us dominate the air space versus Delver, Flickerwisp and even Tombstalker.

    SoFI:
    2 damage from colorless source for the same creature removal reasons listed above + punches through opposing TNN blocker + card advantage for the grind. Also gives buffs and prot red to a weak guy to survive our own Fiery Confluence for 2+.

    SoLS:
    Protection from the most common removal colors, white and black. Punches through opposing Mother of Runes unless they have a colorless blocker.

    Magus of the Moon with any equipment is harder to kill. Sin Prodder or Rabblemaster with any equipment is a beast for eating the opponent's life total.

    I've been happy with 0-1 equipment MD + 0-1 equipment SB. Flex slots.

  10. #3050

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Honestly a piece of equipment is as bad a topdeck as ssg sometimes but ssg technically can win a game on its own. Cutting one for equipment lowers the consistency of the deck. A higher consistency in the deck leads to over all better topdeck. Mind bullets.

    However feel free to add one in a flex slot. I do run a good moggcatcher build so even given the chance I don't

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Can u post ur list plz?

  11. #3051
    Member

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Posts

    1,424

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    I don't think y'all (frogger to a degree and karhumies) are getting the point of the question. I know what equipment can do on the battlefield. Karhumies: if dnt is a big problem for you, commit more sideboard slots to the match. I recommend anarchy and sulfur elemental. You're not going wider than Dnt with sin prodder ect in your deck. Therefore equipment seems suboptimal just from a theory stand point.

    The thing is, imvho, this deck needs cards that have an independent impact on the battlefield in order to execute the game plan (deal lethal damage to player). Equipment, by design, are dependant (on creatures and the combat zone). That's my logic with the deck and card choices. I'm not the one to debate merrits of equipment, just wanted to play devil's advocate 😁

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  12. #3052

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    I don't think y'all (frogger to a degree and karhumies) are getting the point of the question. I know what equipment can do on the battlefield. Karhumies: if dnt is a big problem for you, commit more sideboard slots to the match. I recommend anarchy and sulfur elemental. You're not going wider than Dnt with sin prodder ect in your deck. Therefore equipment seems suboptimal just from a theory stand point.

    The thing is, imvho, this deck needs cards that have an independent impact on the battlefield in order to execute the game plan (deal lethal damage to player). Equipment, by design, are dependant (on creatures and the combat zone). That's my logic with the deck and card choices. I'm not the one to debate merrits of equipment, just wanted to play devil's advocate 😁

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Honestly, it depends.

    In a list with 0 bridge, 0 moggcatcher, 4 rabblemaster, 3+ pia nalaar / pia and kiran nalaar which attacks with every single creature every turn, the problem is any opposing blocker with 1+ attack and 2+ toughness. Jitte seems like a nice fit here.

    In a list with 3+ dragons, 0 bridge, attacking with 1 large creature every turn to dominate the air space while holding back the other creatures, SoLS to protect the large guy from removal is a nice fit.

    SoFI can be a meta call.

    In a list with 4 bridge MD, equipments are a poor fit.

    In a list with 2-4 Smuggler's Copter, additional equipment is a poor fit.

  13. #3053

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Karhumies View Post
    Honestly, it depends.

    In a list with 0 bridge, 0 moggcatcher, 4 rabblemaster, 3+ pia nalaar / pia and kiran nalaar which attacks with every single creature every turn, the problem is any opposing blocker with 1+ attack and 2+ toughness. Jitte seems like a nice fit here.

    In a list with 3+ dragons, 0 bridge, attacking with 1 large creature every turn to dominate the air space while holding back the other creatures, SoLS to protect the large guy from removal is a nice fit.

    SoFI can be a meta call.

    In a list with 4 bridge MD, equipments are a poor fit.

    In a list with 2-4 Smuggler's Copter, additional equipment is a poor fit.
    I agree with all this. I'm going to add to that - I'm really not a fan of 4 drop dragons anywhere, esp when you have access to Rabblemaster. That guy is redonk. Seriously. 3x you beat through a Griselbrand, easy.

    Rabble makes a super strong argument for Equip. I housed someone with a Gobbo token + SoFI, after Rabble was removed.

    I went 4-3 today, no Bridge, Equip stompy. Not bad, but shoulda done better. Zoetic Cavern was super good, did exactly what it needed to do. I ran short a Mountain or two, lost to myself mostly.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

  14. #3054

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    I don't think y'all (frogger to a degree and karhumies) are getting the point of the question. I know what equipment can do on the battlefield. Karhumies: if dnt is a big problem for you, commit more sideboard slots to the match. I recommend anarchy and sulfur elemental. You're not going wider than Dnt with sin prodder ect in your deck. Therefore equipment seems suboptimal just from a theory stand point.

    The thing is, imvho, this deck needs cards that have an independent impact on the battlefield in order to execute the game plan (deal lethal damage to player). Equipment, by design, are dependant (on creatures and the combat zone). That's my logic with the deck and card choices. I'm not the one to debate merrits of equipment, just wanted to play devil's advocate 😁

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I get what you're saying about Equip, and advocate away. But in that case, Stoneforge Mystic is a bad combo. And it's not. Yes, equip are dependent... upon you having 1 of your 20 creatures in the deck. That's fine, it should be active almost every game. And your opponent is going to want to FoW anything that hits the table. DnT does the equip dance super successfully because of their threat density.

    Not a fan of Anarchy in DnT. Absolutely nope. Super super narrow - I must've listed a dozen MUs where equip is flexible and useful. Anarchy is only 1. (Even Sulfur has other uses outside of White, yes.)
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

  15. #3055

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    You're on the play, blind, with the following hand:

    mountain, city of traitors, 2x chalice of the void, blood moon, simian spirit guide, magma jet

    Basically the question is which of these lines is the best?
    1) cast chalice off of city of traitors
    2) cast chalice off of mountain + simian
    3) cast blood moon

    I think I would go with sequence number 2

  16. #3056
    Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

    Join Date

    Jul 2007
    Posts

    775

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    I'm trying to think of a way to have Chalice T1, Daze-proof Moon T2, and two land in play after your second turn. Not sure it's possible. Chalice is probably the right first turn play though.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

  17. #3057
    Member

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Posts

    1,424

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    I would go city C@1 turn one then turn two try to land C@2. Blind that play has way more upside.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  18. #3058

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    You're on the play, blind, with the following hand:

    mountain, city of traitors, 2x chalice of the void, blood moon, simian spirit guide, magma jet

    Basically the question is which of these lines is the best?
    1) cast chalice off of city of traitors
    2) cast chalice off of mountain + simian
    3) cast blood moon

    I think I would go with sequence number 2
    On the play, I would go for t1 city, ssg, blood moon. If the moon is not forced, continue with chalice 0. Followed up by t2 mountain, chalice on 1. My thinking here is to turn the opposing t1 fetchland into a mountain. Against BUG, UWB, UBR decks this might win me the game on t1 if they don't have FoW (very tough to cast Abrupt Decay or Council's Judgment on Blood Moon with 0 non-mountain fetches). Chalice 0 on t1 is to prevent Mox Diamond, Chrome Mox, Lotus Petal, LED to fix their mana.

    A weakness of this approach I can think of is that the opponent can cast a T1 Faithless Looting off their mountain. If the opponent is Dredge, this can be bad, if reanimator, they are struggling to get B mana. Belcher and Burn are also undisturbed by the moon, but I am hoping the t2 Chalice 1 is enough to disturb them.

    Chances are, the opponent does not have a basic swamp in hand for DRS, basic forest for Noble Hierarch or basic island for cantrips/counters/active daze, making them completely miss their t1 play.

  19. #3059

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    By the way, there is a RU Stompy utilizing As Foretold + Ancestral Vision + Restore Balance package over at the New & Developmental decks -section of the forum:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...oretold-Stompy

  20. #3060
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,257

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    3x you beat through a Griselbrand, easy.
    Can you better explain this?

    Quote Originally Posted by frogger42 View Post
    But in that case, Stoneforge Mystic is a bad combo. And it's not.
    This is a dishonest comparison... SfM is good because it finds and cheats equipment into play, not because it can wear equipment. Especially because 80% of the time the equipment it finds doesn't require a body anyway (Batterskull).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)