Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast
Results 621 to 640 of 692

Thread: [Conflux] Set Discussion (formerly spoilers)

  1. #621
    Serious Rider
    Pinder's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Posts

    4,962

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It's still infinite times better than the crap we got:

    Thornling scan
    Sweet Jesus No.

    It looks like a zombie sheep from Black Sheep.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

  2. #622

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    And what the hell is it supposed to shapeshift into?

    Bloodhall Ooze seems to be the big climber on Star City, increasing its price by 75% up to $5 over night. Not sure what's attracting people to it, although I'm sure it always sells as a four-pack because of it's mana cost, so that might be drumming up the numbers.

  3. #623
    Win or lose, it begins with...
    Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts

    2,184

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Martial Coup is destroying a Thornling. Just thought I'd point that out.

  4. #624
    Loves the anus
    Jaiminho's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2007
    Location

    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil
    Posts

    544

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Martial Coup is destroying a Thornling. Just thought I'd point that out.
    No, it ain't. The main difference is the direction the horns point to. Then, you have the different jaws, members, blah, blah, whatever.
    Keep moon-walking.

  5. #625
    ?
    Di's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2003
    Location

    Syracuse, NY
    Posts

    5,766

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    I fail to see how that creature could be considered as being even remotely thorny.
    The "t" is silent.



    I've been drinking.

  6. #626

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    I played back then. Here's what I thought of Morphlings.

    This was my birthday present from a friend. He knew I hated the card beyond all belief so he got me a Morphling and a pack of matches. Yeah, it's real.

    Clicky!





    Thornling is OK in my book.
    I guess you can say you turned that morphling into a... TORCHLING
    buh duh bump

  7. #627
    Trying to get better.
    kensook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2007
    Location

    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts

    29

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Wow, just... wow.

  8. #628
    Shake that.
    Skeggi's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2008
    Location

    Amsterdam
    Posts

    2,047

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenC View Post
    Meh. I'm not so much of a fan. The art of Progenitus, for example, is fugly. At least, that's what I think, but I seem to be the only person with that opinion.
    Yeah, I for one totally disagree. I think the art of Progenitus is the best I've ever seen in Magic. It shows the scale of things real well: while Progenitus is wreaking havoc in the distance, you're glad he's not heading your way. Really beautifully done.

    Let me elaborate why Progenitus' art is the best ever in MTG history:

    Traditionally, the MTG artists used to make things appear large by placing the big monster next to miniature versions of something we know isn't small. Like they did with Polar Kraken:

    How can we believe Polar Kraken is so big if we're looking down on it?
    Or even worse:

    With Segovian Leviathan Melissa Benson just painted a clear picture of a big fish. But since we're under water, to see thát much, of a fish thát big, there should be alot of blurry murky water involved and there would be no way we could see the leviathan this clear.
    In both cases this simply results in the 'big monster' looking normal-sized and the things we know as big appear as really small (those things swimming next to the leviathan are whales. Yes, whales, look closer).

    With Progenitus they did a complete different thing to convey sheer size:

    Here they placed him far away, so far that because of the atmosphere, you'd normally only see the outline of mountains. In this picture, Progenitus is really massive.
    The other thing that makes this attractive is that it's from a normal person's view. This way you 'witness' the existence of such a large monster. Kind of scary really. Very intense. I love it.
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

  9. #629

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    In both cases this simply results in the 'big monster' looking normal-sized and the things we know as big appear as really small (those things swimming next to the leviathan are whales. Yes, whales, look closer).
    Except those whales are the size of a goldfish, since Sergovia is a micro sized world, where even the leviathon is the size of a small troll. :p But right, you're spot on.

    I like Progenitus and think it's creative and a step up while existing within the confines of what "is allowed." I don't hold that much respect for "mere illustration" which is what the style guidelines dictate these days ("each spell with conspire shows two creatures, get it!"). I went to art history school so I'm one of those freaks who actually likes the art for Stasis.

    OTOH, I'm not a sucker for everything that's just done in a different way technically, like Hostility, as that's (and Rebecca Guay's stuff for that matter) is just stylistically different, not conceptually.

  10. #630

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Let me elaborate why Progenitus' art is the best ever in MTG history:

    Traditionally, the MTG artists used to make things appear large by placing the big monster next to miniature versions of something we know isn't small. Like .

    placing old art cards next to new border/art cards makes me sad. I'd much rather have the old borders and cheap fantasy art back. most of the new pictures are so detailed, I cant easily tell whats going on the in the picture of cards someone else is playing. I like to be able to easily tell what card is what, by the picture.


  11. #631

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    ok why is phyrexian dreadnought a 12/12 and this progenitus that is way larger is only 10/10.

  12. #632
    Win or lose, it begins with...
    Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts

    2,184

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sauce View Post
    ok why is phyrexian dreadnought a 12/12 and this progenitus that is way larger is only 10/10.
    Because outside of Stifle/Trickbind tricks, the Dreadnaught's CiPT makes it effectively unplayable. Not saying Progenitus is playable, but a Limited/Standard-minded 10/10 with nothing but good stuff to offer should cost a lot.

  13. #633

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Because outside of Stifle/Trickbind tricks, the Dreadnaught's CiPT makes it effectively unplayable. Not saying Progenitus is playable, but a Limited/Standard-minded 10/10 with nothing but good stuff to offer should cost a lot.
    when i said larger, i meant in the picture... not casting cost.

    btw, why is this thornling diff looking?
    http://djmagiccards.com/images/large...rnling_LRG.jpg

  14. #634
    Win or lose, it begins with...
    Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts

    2,184

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sauce View Post
    when i said larger, i meant in the picture... not casting cost.

    btw, why is this thornling diff looking?
    http://djmagiccards.com/images/large...rnling_LRG.jpg
    Ah. Meh, I think Progenitnus is pretty large looking (double the size of mountains). I don't think the artist even knows what the final card is gonig to be; just given a rough template and soft ideas from WotC.

  15. #635
    Dan
    heroicraptor's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    NoVA
    Posts

    398

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sauce View Post
    btw, why is this thornling diff looking?
    http://djmagiccards.com/images/large...rnling_LRG.jpg
    Because that's an obvious shoop.

  16. #636
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,533

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sauce View Post
    ok why is phyrexian dreadnought a 12/12 and this progenitus that is way larger is only 10/10.
    Because it's a fucking Dreadnought.

    From Phyrexia.

  17. #637

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Phyrexian Dreadnought has hidden cruise missiles armed with nuclear warheads. If you took out its nuclear arsenal, it would be a 5/5 at best.

  18. #638
    V V SEXY! V V
    quicksilver's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2004
    Location

    NOVA!
    Posts

    3,363

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by sauce View Post
    ok why is phyrexian dreadnought a 12/12 and this progenitus that is way larger is only 10/10.
    Who says progenitus is larger? We do indeed hsve scale in that image, but in the dreadnought image you can't tell how big it is. It could easily be larger.

  19. #639
    Member
    raharu's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2007
    Location

    Scrubington
    Posts

    1,072

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Phyrexian Dreadnought has hidden cruise missiles armed with nuclear warheads. If you took out its nuclear arsenal, it would be a 5/5 at best.
    It's a Mobile Armor. Obviously.
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

    If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

  20. #640
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,533

    Re: [Conflux] Spoiler Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Who says progenitus is larger? We do indeed hsve scale in that image, but in the dreadnought image you can't tell how big it is. It could easily be larger.


    Actually, you can see a mage in the right corner. The only quest which remains is: How long is it?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)