Page 86 of 320 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 6384

Thread: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

  1. #1701

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Thank you for answers,

    sensei is very important for my manabase, because it isn't color-intensive.

    The same thing is the tomb of Urami: I chosen it, because it gives black mana and it will not enter tapped; his drawback is not a problem, because I use it only in mana-flood case.

    I think Gargoyle Castle is better in a crucible of worlds-deck.

    Well, doubt on this card does not come for his drawback, but because I ask if may have a better response to Dragon Stompy in that slot. I ask if I can let unchanged the setting, use 4 swamp main deck & 1 plains in sideboard, or change Urami with a swamp. In the last 2 cases, however, I will not have a remedy to the mana-flood.

    Finally, I would ask you if you have tested Bitterblossom vs Aggro match up already.
    My questions are if to have 2 Jotun Grunt is better (I remove 1 Tormod's Crypt), or to have 1 more engineered explosives in sideboard.

  2. #1702
    Legacy Inept

    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Location

    France
    Posts

    1,956

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mono_Thematic View Post
    @Maverick: How are you finding Vampire Nighthawk as compares to Hypnotic Spectre? I ended up dropping Hippie due to fragility in my burn heavy meta, but since I like new shiny things Nighthawk caught my eye as a possible replacement.
    -Mono
    I'm not really a Deadguy Ale player os I won't be able to compare with hyppie, but you definitely want to see nighthawk against burn. The deck in general is very good against burn with 6 MD spells that gain life and a lot of basic lands.

  3. #1703
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Jul 2007
    Location

    Europe
    Posts

    217

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by miko View Post
    You are almost exclusively running cc2 creatures. Would not Vial be an interesting addition?
    Would even make a green-splash (2 Bayous - 4 Goyfs) supportable.
    Vial is not needed. It's better to have in this kind of aggo-control deck cards that do something that ONLY put creatures into play.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mono_Thematic View Post
    @Maverick: How are you finding Vampire Nighthawk as compares to Hypnotic Spectre? I ended up dropping Hippie due to fragility in my burn heavy meta, but since I like new shiny things Nighthawk caught my eye as a possible replacement.
    -Mono
    I have been playing 4x Hypnotic Specter for a long time and started to cut them (now I play 2 of them). In my build now 2 Hypnotics do more than 2 Nighhawks. It's just my choice of creature that do the most for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mono_Thematic View Post
    @Morgothar:
    Mirri's Guile instead of Sensei's Divining Top
    (-) its easier to disrupt
    (+) less mana investment
    Mirri's Guile is worse than Sensei in many ways. You often want to search for basics and having Guile on first hand is a counter to this strategy. Also there is no option to manipulate during turns which is huge drawback.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgothar View Post
    Finally, I would ask you if you have tested Bitterblossom vs Aggro match up already.
    My questions are if to have 2 Jotun Grunt is better (I remove 1 Tormod's Crypt), or to have 1 more engineered explosives in sideboard.
    Hmm, I think that in order to improve aggro matchup we need:

    a) more creatures+jitte
    b) more removal

    Now I play +1x Smother [better than 1x Diabolic Edict in (my)meta at this moment] and +1x Pernicious Deed MB and 2x Engineered Explosives SB. Works good now. 1x Bitterblossom would be in SB maybe if I see that meta diversed to a state when Enlightened Tutors + 1x's in SB is a way.

    Last Saturday I won a small (25 people) tournament. We played five rounds and then split in top4.

    1st round: 2-1 Reanimator
    2nd round: 2-1 Zoo (should be 2-0 but I made a mistake)
    3rd round: 2-1 nonLED-Dredge - finished 2nd
    4th round: 2-1 Aggro Loam - finished 3rd
    5th round: 2-1 UW Fish

    Top4 decklists: http://www.deckcheck.net/event.php?e...Poznan+14%2F11

    My decklist:

    4 Scrubland
    4 Bayou
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains

    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Hypnotic Specter
    3 Tombstalker

    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Smother
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Vindicate

    1 Pernicious Deed
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

    Sideboard:

    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Engineered Plague
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Choke
    1 Perish

    My meta was quite blue and grave dependant, 0 combo. I chose to play this kind of SB than some staples + E. Tutors+Silver Bullets this time.
    Last edited by Deviruchi; 12-09-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added link to deckcheck

  4. #1704

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deviruchi View Post
    Hmm, I think that in order to improve aggro matchup we need:

    a) more creatures+jitte
    b) more removal
    I agree, in fact I have slightly modified my deck-list, but umezawa’s jitte is very difficult to keep in battlefield for qasali pridemage. I added 1 more perish & engineered explosives in sideboard. The MU vs aggro deck is not very bad, except Zoo. Post side, however, with 2 EE and 2 Perish, I believe that it can become playable. Unfortunately, until mid-December, in my area there will be not tournaments, so I must work much play testing with my team.


    Quote Originally Posted by Deviruchi View Post
    Now I play +1x Smother [better than 1x Diabolic Edict in (my)meta at this moment] and +1x Pernicious Deed MB and 2x Engineered Explosives SB. Works good now. 1x Bitterblossom would be in SB maybe if I see that meta diversed to a state when Enlightened Tutors + 1x's in SB is a way.

    Last Saturday I won a small (25 people) tournament. We played five rounds and then split in top4.

    1st round: 2-1 Reanimator
    2nd round: 2-1 Zoo (should be 2-0 but I made a mistake)
    3rd round: 2-1 nonLED-Dredge - finished 2nd
    4th round: 2-1 Aggro Loam - finished 3rd
    5th round: 2-1 UW Fish

    Decklist:

    4 Scrubland
    4 Bayou
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains

    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Hypnotic Specter
    3 Tombstalker

    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Smother
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Vindicate

    1 Pernicious Deed
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

    Sideboard:

    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Engineered Plague
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Engineered Explosives
    1 Choke
    1 Perish

    My meta was quite blue and grave dependant, 0 combo. I chose to play this kind of SB than some staples + E. Tutors+Silver Bullets this time.
    Compliments.

    I have some notes for you.

    1. Place 2 more Hypnotic Specter instead of 2 tombstalker.

    A) I understand that the stalker is very, very strong, but we need to minimize the probability of self-lose. With a tricolor manabase, we have high chances of going to screw in 1 match on 10. If we add our other 2 stalker, would increase the chances of losing because of the dark confidant.

    B) Hypnotic specter is an excellent partner for Tarmogoyf; if it is used in the first round, we can protect hands with so many duals, because the opponent will be forced to break it, instead of going through wasteland. These probabilities are not marginal, because the chances of the deck manabase tend to have (for the worse in the first 10 cards) or 3 land or 2 dark ritual & 1 land.

    C) A lower presence of stalker allows you to play 1 land less (I shall return to this point).

    In the extreme case, if your metagame is very aggressive, you could try this configuration of creatures:

    2 dark confidant
    4 tarmogoyf
    4 hypnotic specter
    2 tombstalker

    +1 umezawa’s jitte/engineered explosives


    2. I think Engineered Explosives is better than Pernicious deed on this deck: it is more flexible, fast and not affected by the color screw (we haven’t manafixers of TheRock). It allows you to select the best permanent to be destroyed.

    3. I think that 22 lands are too many: 'Goyf in comparison with Nantuko Shade and Tombstalker has lowered considerably the virtual speed and manacurve of the deck. I think we can maximize manabase bringing to 4 the swamps, so you have 8 sources of black mana (with Dark Ritual).

  5. #1705
    Banned

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Pootown
    Posts

    175

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Did fairly well last week with a Deadguy shell running the Hexmage/Depths combo. I also posted this in New/Developmental decks but that thread seems more focused on decks centering around the combo, whereas this one just has it as an alternate win condition. Here's the list:

    4 Vampire Hexmage
    3 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    3 Vampire Nighthawk
    4 Tombstalker
    4 Dark Confidant

    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Vindicate
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Scrubland
    8 Swamp
    3 Wasteland
    4 Dark Depths

    Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Engineered Plague
    4 Extirpate
    3 ??

    I had just switched from a green splash, so the ?? was 2 Disenchants and a Sadistic Sacrament to replace 3 Krosan Grips, but I'm thinking those spots need to go towards stopping or slowing down combo, maybe Thorn of Amethyst or something. If you don't think this belongs in the Deadguy thread, let me know and I'll delete it.

  6. #1706
    Member
    keys's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2006
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,053

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    You would benefit from a couple Urborgs, I think.

  7. #1707

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Hi guys i have been out of Magic for quite a while and i really would like to play in a tournament in january. I would like to play a B/W Handdestruction Deck likewise the Pikula Deck but i really don't know what cards should be in it so please comment and exucse my bad english iam not a native speaker.

    Creatures:

    4 Vampire Nighthawk ( should i play Hypnotic Specter? )
    4 Oona's Prowler
    4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Withered Wretch

    Spells:

    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Duress ( i would prefer Thoughtseize but i have no money left )
    4 Vindicate
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Sinkhole/Smother/Swords to Plowshares ??!?!?! Don't know what to put in

    Manabase:
    8 Swamps
    4 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland (should i play 4 with all of this bb cost's )
    4 Bloodstained Mire

    Sideboard: ( just a first idea, i really don't know )

    4 Null Rod
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Engineered Plague
    2 Withered Wretch
    1 Sinkhole/Swords to Plowshares/Smother

    I think the idea should be clear, massive disruption and then beat him to the ground. I don't know if i should play Vampire Nighthawk or Hypnotic Specter but i guess Nighthawk is much better in the lategame. Anymore i don't know wether Oona's Prowler is a good choise but i think he is still a 3/1 Flyer and supports the Deck.I love Sinkhole but i don't know if i should play something else instead. So please just say what you think about the Deck i think i really need help with the sideboard.

  8. #1708
    Banned

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Pootown
    Posts

    175

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    You would benefit from a couple Urborgs, I think.
    I would do or two if I had them, but I don't think it's essential. Between Bob, Top, and Ritual with the low curve, I rarely get mana screwed.

  9. #1709
    Legacy's Ronin

    Join Date

    Mar 2009
    Location

    Wooster, Ohio
    Posts

    231

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    @ Fexor: I would honestly play Hyppie in place of the Oona's Prowler.

  10. #1710
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Jul 2007
    Location

    Europe
    Posts

    217

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    I again played Deadguy Ale in our legacy league to a nice finish. After six rounds I was first. In top8 we played one round which I also won and made a split in top4.

    1st round: 2-0 W Stax
    2nd round: 0-2 Pro Bant
    3rd round: 2-1 Rg Goblins
    4th round: 2-0 Affinity
    5th round: 2-0 UBW Trinket-Stalker
    6th round: 2-1 Wishless Loam
    top8: 2-0 Burn

    Decklist (the same):

    http://www.deckcheck.net/deck.php?id=30920

    :)

  11. #1711
    Member
    mmmetaphor's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2005
    Location

    Pittsburgh
    Posts

    78

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fexor View Post
    Hi guys i have been out of Magic for quite a while and i really would like to play in a tournament in january. I would like to play a B/W Handdestruction Deck likewise the Pikula Deck but i really don't know what cards should be in it so please comment and exucse my bad english iam not a native speaker.

    Creatures:

    4 Vampire Nighthawk ( should i play Hypnotic Specter? )
    4 Oona's Prowler
    4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Withered Wretch

    Spells:

    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Duress ( i would prefer Thoughtseize but i have no money left )
    4 Vindicate
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Sinkhole/Smother/Swords to Plowshares ??!?!?! Don't know what to put in

    Manabase:
    8 Swamps
    4 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland (should i play 4 with all of this bb cost's )
    4 Bloodstained Mire

    Sideboard: ( just a first idea, i really don't know )

    4 Null Rod
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Engineered Plague
    2 Withered Wretch
    1 Sinkhole/Swords to Plowshares/Smother

    I think the idea should be clear, massive disruption and then beat him to the ground. I don't know if i should play Vampire Nighthawk or Hypnotic Specter but i guess Nighthawk is much better in the lategame. Anymore i don't know wether Oona's Prowler is a good choise but i think he is still a 3/1 Flyer and supports the Deck.I love Sinkhole but i don't know if i should play something else instead. So please just say what you think about the Deck i think i really need help with the sideboard.


    Definitely I think Hypnotic Specter is superior to Vampire Nighthawk in this deck. You want disruption not life gain. Plus its a must answer card... a darkritual into specter 1st turn is often game over if the opponent can't kill it immediately.

    Also I'd try to find a way to add the last sinkhole... maybe -1 jitte (move it to SB) and +1 sinkhole.

  12. #1712

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    @ Deviruchi
    if this is the list you posted Ive got some questions for ya...
    4 Scrubland
    4 Bayou
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Wasteland
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Hypnotic Specter
    3 Tombstalker
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Smother
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Vindicate
    1 Pernicious Deed
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

    1. Out of Curiosity why are you playing with 1 smother?
    2. Why only 1 Deed? is that a meta call?

  13. #1713
    Banned

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Pootown
    Posts

    175

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by mmmetaphor View Post
    Definitely I think Hypnotic Specter is superior to Vampire Nighthawk in this deck. You want disruption not life gain. Plus its a must answer card... a darkritual into specter 1st turn is often game over if the opponent can't kill it immediately.

    Also I'd try to find a way to add the last sinkhole... maybe -1 jitte (move it to SB) and +1 sinkhole.
    Personally I really like Nighthawks because they always seem useful, when Hippie is really best early game. Even with just 4x Hymn and 4x Thoughtseize, I often find discard to be a dead draw in the mid/late game against a lot of decks. At that point Hippie is usually just a chump blocker, whereas Nighthawk is at least creature removal with a couple extra life.

  14. #1714
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Jul 2007
    Location

    Europe
    Posts

    217

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishLegend View Post
    @ Deviruchi

    1. Out of Curiosity why are you playing with 1 smother?
    2. Why only 1 Deed? is that a meta call?
    Hi

    1. Some time ago I was playing with +1 Duress because I needed more 1st turn disruption. Now I feel I need 1 more removal:

    a) to target something big and scary (when there is P.Dreadnought and T.Mage/M.Factory so no Diabolic Edict).
    b) to target Dark Confidant (so no Snuff Out).
    c) to kill something without giving any shuffle and mana advantage (so no Path to Exile).

    It works well and also is a suprise when you have no white mana or tapped. My metagame is full of aggro-control and aggro. Sometimes I wish I have D.Edict vs. Iona [naming white (Swords+Vindicate) or vs. Ninja of the Deep Hours but as a +1 removal Smother works better than Edict. I don't need and can't affort to cut 1-2 more cards to replace Smother and add more D.Edicts. Also there are more situations where Smother shines over Edict and I need +1 removal so this selection was purely economical.

    2. Yes, this is part of solution to the metagame but also the cure for some tough moments. I always felt this deck needs sweepers (vs. Empty the Warrens, Nimble Mongoose, aggro and so on). Some time ago I was using EE and I also added G color to have the opportunity to cast EE for 3 mana and for Krosan Grip. Then I started testing Deed as a 1x MB and 1-2x SB. EE in SB works better in a variant without E.Tutor, and in metagame I see around me & on MWS. I left 1 Deed MB as an option to:

    a) not be scared about fast aggro (and after SB +2EE)
    b) have some nice option vs. Affinity which is always around me
    c) have an option to suprise opponent and blow Deed killing own Sensei which gives Goyf +2/+2.
    d) blow the world and cast 2x Tombstalkers
    e) and so on... there are many many situations.

    Both this options are reasons of the metagame I see. Maybe I'm wrong so I hope someone will test my ideas. I'm always open to discussion here or on PM because I know this deck needs so much work to be able to survive in the metagame ;)

    Deviruchi
    Last edited by Deviruchi; 12-30-2009 at 12:19 PM.

  15. #1715

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Yes i also think that Nighthawk is better than Hyppie because he is stronger in the lategame moreover he is incredible strong with Jitte. Also the lifegain is very good because with fetchlands/Confidant and thoughtsize you really beat yourself in the a..

    Another Idea for the Sideboard:

    4 Powder Keg
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Engineered Plague
    4 Swords to Plowshares

  16. #1716
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2009
    Location

    Sweden
    Posts

    99

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Regarding sideboard options, what would you prefer of Lyeline, Crypt or Relic as boarding for grave decks. Any thoughts?

  17. #1717

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    What kind of "grave" decks do you mean?

  18. #1718
    Legacy's Ronin

    Join Date

    Mar 2009
    Location

    Wooster, Ohio
    Posts

    231

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by Olesch View Post
    Regarding sideboard options, what would you prefer of Lyeline, Crypt or Relic as boarding for grave decks. Any thoughts?
    Leyline is easily one of the best for stopping opposing graveyard combos, but I have also been having some decent results with Ravenous Trap although so far its not enough to outright replace Leyline.

    I usually run Relic if I don't care about my own yard though. I do not like running them along with cards such as Tombstalker or various reanimation spells.

  19. #1719
    Member

    Join Date

    Apr 2009
    Location

    Sweden
    Posts

    99

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Quote Originally Posted by nodahero View Post
    What kind of "grave" decks do you mean?
    Sorry,

    I am refering to mainly Ichorid/dredge but then also Loam, landstill and reanimate.

    Leyline seems obvious, however the purpose of this is to have it in play as early as possible (mailnly from the start). But I have made some thinking, what if early bounce? There are more enchantment denial nowdays in decks and there are even decks maindecking krosan.

    Then the thought came to crypt, relic, extirpate.

    Since I am running Goyf and Stalker in my deck, relic has too much impact to my deck so this is a no.
    Crypt is a free remove target graveyard which is very good, but you have to release it at the right time. Crypt is good, but can also be played around by most decks. Ichorid/Dredge usually can do this.

    Extirpate seems like moderate, however against Loam this is perfect. It is also good against landstill. Against dredge/ichorid, sideboarding in two anit grave cards (crypt, extirpate) is a real pain in the ass for them. Extirpate is also good against ANT combo (disrupting mystical fetch and removing mana such as ritual)

    I dont really know what to run in my sideboard running 8 anti graveyard cards might be to much, but I dont really know.

    If looking at stats and tourney breakdowns, the meta seems like much dredge/ichorid, merfolk, goblins, some *****/loam. Reanimate is quite new and I dont really know how common it will be.

    My deck looks like this:

    // Lands
    4 Bayou
    2 Swamp
    1 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Scrubland
    2 Verdant Catacombs

    // Creatures
    4 Tombstalker
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Vampire Nighthawk
    2 Gatekeeper of Malakir

    // Spells
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Vindicate
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Pernicious Deed

    My sideboard might look like this:

    4 Engineered Plague
    4 Tormods Crypt
    4 Extirpate
    2 Pernicious Deed
    1 Gatekeeper of Malakir

    Or:

    4 Engineered Plague
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Duress
    2 Pernicious Deed
    1 Gatekeeper of Malakir

  20. #1720
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2010
    Location

    State College, PA
    Posts

    19

    Re: [Deck] Deadguy Ale (B/w Confidant)

    Ok I've gone thru a completely different route with creatures. Basically I am using Necrotic sliver as another vindicate to try and control the game. Let me know what you guys think.

    Creatures:
    4x Necrotic Sliver
    4x Sinew Sliver
    4x Metallic Sliver
    4x Frenzy Sliver
    4x Dark Confidant or Gatekeeper of Malikir

    Spells:
    4x Vindicate
    4x Hymm to Tourach
    4x Sinkhole
    4x Dark Ritual
    3x Unearth

    Land:
    4x Marsh Flats
    4x Scrublands
    4x Wastelands
    6x Swamps
    3x Plains

    Sideboard:
    4x Tormods crypt
    4x Negator
    3x Engineered Plague
    4x duress

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)