Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 680 of 841

Thread: Survival of the Fittest

  1. #661
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2010
    Location

    Scotland/France
    Posts

    57

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Quote Originally Posted by Pich View Post
    Damn, yea, SURVIVAL IS GOOD ? SO ** what ? I'm not playing it, i'm sticking to Merfolk and i do fine against

    DANG, just ADAPT and stop pissing off people that bought (survivals) Mystical Tutor for 60 $ (I didn't.)
    seems it was the same for ANT at its time...and this time i'm sure it's gonna piss off more people. Your turn guys!
    (althought I agreed on your whole post)

  2. #662

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalwalker View Post
    Who cares about what is/not banned anymore. The official quote from the Mothership once again confirms that WotC enjoys listening to wildfire rumors and look at data within the states and continue to show their dis-support to non-USA metas (which argubly non-USA people take MTG just as seriously if not even more competitively than their US counterparts).

    Although, at the very least, I am glad they are giving till after Worlds to make a decision. Good news is meta are shifting to start adapting against Survival. Bad news is with this fucking post from the mothership, EVERYONE will want to play Survival just to have one-last shot with the deck, which happens to be a good deck.

    Self-fulfilling prophecies!

    There's quite a lot of things to ban then from what I see:
    - Entomb
    - Intuition
    - Burning Wish/Cunning Wish
    - Enlightened Tutor

    Because they all have potential to be broken cause they are TUTORs. I just find it highly annoying they are viewing the state of Legacy like it's Standard or something. There's an inherent dislike for tutors and combo from WotC, but this is fucking eternal. I'll be more and more disinterested if the format evolves to tap creatures sideways with some tighter turn 1-3 plays. It'll be like playing Standard with FoW and Daze. I don't want that. If Survival gets banned, I'll be sad, because I don't get to play all the cool decks that I've designed (Welderstone Survival, Rock Survival, Goblin Survival, Sliver Survival). I guess I won't have to waste time tweaking those crappy decks because they're probably overpowered as hell since they play Survival! (except they aren't, it's really just Vengevine that made it dumb).
    Each one of the tutors you have listed are situational and do not enable anything construed as "broken" (there is a difference between a strong play and a series of strong plays); you are essentially trying to correlate a degenerative combo-enabling machine to cards that have only a single utility. The activated cost of Survival - factored in that it is a permanent, reusable, instant-speed engine - allows for the said player to effectively search for any creature they need at any given time.

    The utility of each of these creatures in Survival-based decks really is what sugar-coats the card itself because the list of tutors (Enlightened, Worldly, Mystical, etc.) each allows you to specifically go for a type of card that has a unique affect on the game. Survival accomplishes each of these tasks by allowing you to develop your deck using cards of a varying degree of utility or simply for an abhorrent surge as it pertains to the attack step. It doesn't necessarily allow you to fetch up Instants or Sorceries, but it still allows for the make-up of degenerative plays.

    Vengevine pushed the envelope on this card and exploited it for all of its worth. The card has to and should go. I typically board correctly and adaptively and do relatively well against Survival-based decks. That doesn't mean the next person will, and that is what seems to be the recurring theme here: Survival's ability to, well, survive.

  3. #663
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2005
    Location

    I actually live in actual Chicago
    Posts

    680

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Don't forget that Survival of the Fittest doesn't have summoning sickness.
    It does if Opalescence is in play.

  4. #664
    Member
    Rune's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2009
    Location

    Denmark
    Posts

    324

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    The best deck of the format was pretty hard to determine before Vengevine Survival was "dicovered" and the meta was more interesting. Now it's pretty clear that you just need to pick up a Survival deck if you want the best chances of winning a tournament. An average win percentage of about 65 against the whole format? Yes, please. To quote Gerry Thompson, "that shit is retarded and needs to be banned" (on ggslive in SCG Boston where he finished 2nd with Ooze Survival).

    Playing stupid hate cards that Survival can easily win through isn't the answer. The best answer is playing Survival yourself, or one of the few decks that can race its combo. "Just adapt your deck!!" - such a compelling argument, but I think I will just play Survival myself instead of maindecking relatively narrow cards like Extirpate and Pithing Needle.

  5. #665

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Man, I can understand banning Survival of the Fittest. If people are boarding Tormod's Crypt and expecting to get the job done... it ain't gonna' happen. If I read another article that tells people to play ineffective hate cards I will shoot myself.

  6. #666

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Quote Originally Posted by kikoo View Post
    "Just adapt your deck!!" - such a compelling argument, but I think I will just play Survival myself instead of maindecking relatively narrow cards like Extirpate and Pithing Needle.


    And next thing you're saying that Swords to plowshares is narrow too, because it only deals with creatures.

    Survival is going to be banned because of lazy players like you...too bad.

  7. #667
    Cobra Kai Sensie
    dontbiteitholmes's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2004
    Posts

    1,721

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Can everyone stop jumping to conclusions. It's still possible that WoTC will choose to not ban Survival. I mean at this point it seems like so many people are jumping on it that it's just a forgone conclusion, but until it actually is official can we hold off on the lamentation. I don't consider one fringe writer to be a very reliable source even if it is on the official WoTC website. To tell you the truth I think that guy has just as much a clue what's going to happen as anyone else and he was just speculating.
    big links in sigs are obnoxious -PR

    Don't disrespect my dojo dude...

    Sweep the leg!

  8. #668
    Member

    Join Date

    Jun 2004
    Location

    Madison, WI
    Posts

    1,601

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    The banned and restricted announcement will go up on December 20 as usual—after Worlds. If any player is going to come up with a strategy to beat the Survival of the Fittest decks that have been dominating the format then the Team Competition may be the last chance that they get to do so before it is defeated through legislation.



    From BDM's article on Worlds. Sounds like a clear indication...
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

  9. #669
    Member
    keys's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2006
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,053

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgalis View Post


    And next thing you're saying that Swords to plowshares is narrow too, because it only deals with creatures.

    Survival is going to be banned because of lazy players like you...too bad.
    What's lazier, switching your entire deck because one is clearly the best, or simply squeezing 4 hate cards of your choice into your 60 and expecting to win?

  10. #670
    Plays Magic:TG with Yu-Gi-Oh! cards
    Mana Drain's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2010
    Posts

    140

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeyMikey View Post
    The banned and restricted announcement will go up on December 20 as usual—after Worlds. If any player is going to come up with a strategy to beat the Survival of the Fittest decks that have been dominating the format then the Team Competition may be the last chance that they get to do so before it is defeated through legislation.



    From BDM's article on Worlds. Sounds like a clear indication...
    Would you please post a link.
    "Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk."
    "You guarantee it? That's - how do you do that?"
    "If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from A to B."

  11. #671
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2010
    Location

    Scotland/France
    Posts

    57

  12. #672
    Member

    Join Date

    Jun 2004
    Location

    Madison, WI
    Posts

    1,601

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    What's lazier, switching your entire deck because one is clearly the best, or simply squeezing 4 hate cards of your choice into your 60 and expecting to win?
    I've been maining Extirpate since GP:Chicago because it's nuts. It's stock goes up and down a bit as tje format changes, it's relatively bad against Zoo and Fish, but it's the dead nuts against a lot of decks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

  13. #673

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Nice ban survival ! I was so much missing merfolks...
    Forgive my bad English...

  14. #674
    Member
    Gui's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2006
    Location

    Brasil
    Posts

    1,073

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    10. The Survival of Legacy
    The banned and restricted announcement will go up on December 20 as usual—after Worlds. If any player is going to come up with a strategy to beat the Survival of the Fittest decks that have been dominating the format then the Team Competition may be the last chance that they get to do so before it is defeated through legislation.
    Nice move, he didn't say explicitly that SotF is going to be banned. "May" is the key word there, and as far as we know, he doesn't know whether it will be banned or not, too.
    If you fail to explain the reason behind your choice, technically, it's the wrong choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    It's one of the ten strongest cards in Legacy. And in truth, in any deck you design, you really need to have a good reason -not- to run Wasteland.
    Zerk Thread -- Really, fun deck! ^^

  15. #675
    Vintage

    Join Date

    Apr 2005
    Location

    West Coast Degeneracy
    Posts

    5,133

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    From BDM's facebook -

    Brian David-Marshall I actually have no inside info on this one. Comment was based on players insisting that something needs to happen.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

  16. #676

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    I've long thought survival of the fittest had an extraordinary power level.
    Even when survival decks weren't good, a resolved survival meant you win the game if you have mana.
    I'm not much of a deckbuilder, and I always felt that someone else could've put together a deck that runs great without survival, and then put in four copies of survival, just so it reads "1G, win in a few turns". Problem was you needed so much crap, like anger, rofellos, genesis, and squee, so the decks never worked so well. I was scared anyway that someone would figure it out and then my favorite card would get banned.
    I still feel like survival with vengevine isn't really any stronger than survival with the old package (genesis + viridean zealot could let you grind out a lot of wins against stax type decks, spore frog lock could hold off certain strategies, etc), but without survival vengevineis way better than all that crap. The deck is obviously extraordinarilly good.
    Despite being a suboptimal player it got my eternal rating to ~1830 for a while (still ~1820), because GW is simply that strong.

    I feel that the card deserves banning without doubt. The deck is a bunch of extremely efficient creatures, and about even with other decks in quality without survival. Putting those in just gives you a massive trump card. If other decks are forced to try hard to answer it, then they're spending a lot of effort to try and handle only a small part of the deck. Did you know GW survival gives knight of the reliquary just as much support (mom protection vs fow to protect them; both run the utility land package) as new horizons-the kotr deck-does?

    Trying hard ot adapt and answer your deck isn't exactly a winning proposition, especially if it weakens those decks against the rest of the field.
    Unless by adapt you mean play combo, in which case yes, combo crushes GW.

  17. #677
    Member

    Join Date

    Jun 2004
    Location

    Madison, WI
    Posts

    1,601

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    As a Rock player, G/W is definitely the hardest of the 3 to beat, but it's still not a bad M/U. I wonder, if there is a SotF ban if there would be enough support for an alternate Eternal format similar to Legacy but with a less-restrictive ban list. We've got a lot of old players that have been playing 1.5 since it was still tied to the T1 ban list. I think we could do a better job of managing a banlist than the DCI. Set up our own rating system, come up with a catchy name and go from there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Draener View Post
    You know who thinks it's sweet to play against 8 different decks in an 8 round tournament? People who don't like to win, or people that play combo. This is not EDH; Legacy is a competitive environment, and it should reward skill - more so than it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Borealis View Post
    Plow their Mom every chance you get!

  18. #678
    Salt of the earth

    Join Date

    May 2009
    Location

    Canada
    Posts

    4,685

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    I remember playing Legacy in the days of Drains, Bazaars and the like in the format. It was a good time at the time, but I think the banlist has moved beyond that. I'm not saying that I don't love playing with Mana Drain and Library of Alexandria, but I think Legacy players that think Library and Drain are going to get unbanned obviously haven't played regular or unrestricted Vintage.

    Back to Survival, I'm on the "unban Mystical" bandwagon. I'm not a combo player, nor do I like combo. I'd be fine if the format took a crap until March and Storm/Reanimator raped the format, because then they'd have solid evidence for a reban, and they could say "I told you so" to all the Reanimator players. Mind you, I'd sit in my isolated corner of Legacy while it happened, but my point still stands.

    -Matt

  19. #679
    Member
    Rune's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2009
    Location

    Denmark
    Posts

    324

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgalis View Post


    And next thing you're saying that Swords to plowshares is narrow too, because it only deals with creatures.

    Survival is going to be banned because of lazy players like you...too bad.
    There's a reason why StP is a 4-of in many decks (Legacy = mostly creature-based) while Pithing Needle is not an exciting card to maindeck, unless you play Trinket Mage already. I don't know why I even mentioned the card in the first place, because its effectiveness against Survival is very debatable. It does close to nothing if they have the enchantment on the table and G open (tutor for disenchant on a stick). You need to play it preemptively and just cross your fingers they don't have the aggro/Natural Order/Fauna Shaman draw.

    Threats >>>> answers. Most sensible people will either just play the format's undisputed best threat (Survival) or play a deck that can consistently outrace it instead of trying to fight an extremely multifaceted deck with some narrow, reactive cards.

    When you say lazy, I say smart.

  20. #680

    Re: Survival of the Fittest

    I feel this is greatly more justified than the banning of MT.

    HOWEVER, I really think this is also just an overreaction. I really think they should experiment more with unbanning cards to shift the meta rather than just banning whatever deck that makes multiple T8 apparent.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)