Page 138 of 343 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188238 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 6857

Thread: [Official] Bitching About Prices, Buyouts and Reprints Thread

  1. #2741
    Ooh... Shiny!

    Join Date

    Aug 2005
    Location

    Raincouver
    Posts

    694

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post
    Any experts want to offer some opinions about when to cash out on Riptide Labs?
    If you don't know, you shouldn't be speculating, now should you?

  2. #2742
    Member

    Join Date

    Aug 2009
    Location

    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Posts

    1,424

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Speculators buy low and sell high. Bad speculators don't sell when the card is higher than what they paid for it.

    Good luck

  3. #2743
    Greatness awaits!
    Lemnear's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2010
    Location

    Berlin, Germany
    Posts

    6,997

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post
    Any experts want to offer some opinions about when to cash out on Riptide Labs?
    As fast as possible. Misstep->Snapcaster->misstep was the Main appeal of riptide lab going up. Snapcaster will loose value too (expect 1/3 of it's current Price). Riptide is too mana-hungry for legacy.
    www.theepicstorm.com - Your Source for The Epic Storm - Articles, Reports, Decktech and more!

    Join us at Facebook!

    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Lemnear sounds harsh at times, but he means well. Or to destroy, but that's when he starts rapping.

    Architect by day, rapstar by night. He's pretty much the German Hannah Montana. Sometimes he even comes in like a wrecking ball.

  4. #2744

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    If you don't know, you shouldn't be speculating, now should you?
    Uh, I have some of them from drafting Onslaught a lot (years ago) and I'm just seeing if it's smart to get rid of them now in a thread about card prices. Settle down beavis.

    Nice avatar by the way

  5. #2745
    Ooh... Shiny!

    Join Date

    Aug 2005
    Location

    Raincouver
    Posts

    694

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Onslaught View Post
    Uh, I have some of them from drafting Onslaught a lot (years ago) and I'm just seeing if it's smart to get rid of them now in a thread about card prices. Settle down beavis.

    Nice avatar by the way
    Sorry butthead.

    It just gets tiresome to hear *everyone* talk about speculating and investing. It's cards, for God's sake, and they are super hard to move in physical form.

  6. #2746

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    As fast as possible. Misstep->Snapcaster->misstep was the Main appeal of riptide lab going up. Snapcaster will loose value too (expect 1/3 of it's current Price). Riptide is too mana-hungry for legacy.
    I agree about "Misstep->Snapcaster->misstep was the Main appeal of riptide lab going up. Snapcaster will loose value too" but riptide is not too mana-hungry for legacy.

    People are playing decks with a 5CMC artifact that has a (3) bounce itself ability.

    Snapcaster can be vialed.
    He can also be bounced, replayed, and flashback a STP for 5 mana. Bounce and replay of Batterskull is 8 - sometimes 5 (Stoneforge).
    If you split snapcaster's replay costs over turns the most you're paying to use him again is 3 (2 for him, 1 for STP/BS/ECT).
    If you split batterskull across multiple turns - you're still paying 5 most of the time.

    Snapcaster + MM was absolutely insane. I still believe that Snapcaster is going to make an impact. I'm not convinced he's a 4 of yet. I'm going to try 2 to start but if I discover that I can get a tremendous amount of card advantage using him and spot removal, I'm going to be a very happy camper.
    Looks like I'm going to be a very happy camper.


    [EDIT] On topic - I'd unload the riptide's now. Send me a PM.

  7. #2747
    (previously Metalwalker)
    GGoober's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2008
    Location

    Houston, TX
    Posts

    1,647

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    I personally think Riptide Lab/Wizards.tribal will make a showing.

    Here's a sample list with relevant cards:


    Lands:
    3 Mutavault
    2-3 Riptide Lab


    Permission: 8 (+4 Spellstutter)
    4 Daze
    4 FoW

    Others: 12
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Brainstorm
    4 StP

    Dudes: 18
    4 Spellstutter Sprite
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Snapcaster (probably 2)
    3 Vendilion Clique

    Equipment: 2
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Feast/Famine


    More viable Wizards:
    Trinket Mage (wow but the deck will be very different)
    Sower of Temptation
    Grim Lavamancer (but the SFM package is better since it makes your little dudes big)

    Not a fully optimized list but it goes to show how potent Riptide + Vial is. Riptide without Vial is a little too mana intensive and I doubt there's a mid-range/control deck that wants to use Cliques/Snapcaster to win over other methods of win-conditions (thopters, Jace)
    Decks that I care about:
    Steel Stompy
    UWx Landstill
    Dreadstalker
    DDFT (10% practice)

    Mangara on MWS? You must be masochistic. -kiblast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheizen64 View Post
    REB is a fantastic sideboard card against blue... in blue decks :/

  8. #2748

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Guess who's back??

    Darksteel Lotus
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beta-Black-L...item2567d2463d


    LOOOOOOOW Price!!!

  9. #2749

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Royal Ass. View Post
    Guess who's back??

    Darksteel Lotus
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beta-Black-L...item2567d2463d


    LOOOOOOOW Price!!!
    ROFL what.

  10. #2750
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2007
    Location

    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Posts

    287

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Wow. I ebay messaged him, telling him to try to return it to ABU.

    [edit]: He claims it is real. I told him it was fake and he needed to return it.

  11. #2751
    Member
    keys's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2006
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,053

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    What an idiot.

  12. #2752

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    I can just hear this guys thought process ; "Hmmm, I can buy this card and glue it back together and then re-sell it for more... genius!"

  13. #2753

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Who in their right mind would rip a black lotus in half?

  14. #2754
    doesn't afraid of anything
    majikal's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2009
    Location

    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez
    Posts

    1,253

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hyperchord24 View Post
    Who in their right mind would rip a black lotus in half?
    The same kind of person who would eat one with mustard at Gen-con.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

  15. #2755
    I like Tacos.
    dahcmai's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2006
    Location

    Traverse City, MI
    Posts

    2,202

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Probably someone who knew it was fake?




    Anyway, I always make a small prediction on new sets for my friends so I figured I'd start listing it here also. Doesn't hurt. I did get fairly good at it over time. It helps avoid the heavy speculators so you can trade for what will be useful.

    Just a quick opinion on what to pick up and what to avoid on mythics and some other things worth keeping in mind. I kind of talk about them as an overall thought and not just Legacy or Standard. More of a "I want this card because it's going up in price" type thing.

    + or - after the name is an indicator on price going up or down. Take off about 15% as is from current stuff for pre-order frenzy stupid people. $400 foil snapcaster playsets? Pfftt You know that will drop hard. Even foil Stoneforge was down to reasonable amounts after a bit during her heyday.

    Snapcaster Mage obv - $20 is ending price in my book if you're wondering. Amazing in Legacy, Into the Roil useful in standard. Kind of weird how it worked out like that. Foils will probably still hit $50 then $40 after some time.

    Liliana of the veil + Yeah, it's good. Really good. Mainly standard though. It's going to see a ton of play. Borderline playable in Legacy.

    Garruck - I just hate his activations to get him to flip. Deathtouch wolves are awesome, but man, what a bunch of hoops to jump through. I'm going to lean towards a Sarkhan Vol type card. You really want it to work, but it just doesn't. Especially since he's green and if you're playing that color his other incarnation is ten million times better.

    Foil Invisible Stalker + It's not bad. It's Silhana all over again with Swords in the format. Not quite that enchantment of her day, but close. Plus, the picture is cool as hell.

    Mentor of the Meek + Puresteel likes this guy

    Past in Flames + Better than it looks. This one is begging to be busted, especially in Modern.

    Giest of St Traft + This is one of the most underrated in my book. He's one aggressive guy. Reminds me a lot of Knight of the Reliquary for some reason. Hexproof is just silly on a guy that smashes face for 6 for 3 mana. Crappy when he's blocked though. He has to be played in something that can give him evasion or equip up.

    Olivia Voldaren + I'm convinced this card is actually decent. Pings stuff for 2 mana, steals at your convenience? Ummm, that seems pretty awesome. Oh yeah, she pings once and she's a 4/4 flyer for 4 that keeps getting bigger? Why is no one interested in this card? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a steal for the mana. I bought 4 foils for myself. At the worst I have 4 foil ones to trade off as Commander generals. It just screams sleeper to me.

    Skaab Ruinator - Meet Dissipate, Skaab dude. Dissipate was played much more than you ever will be. Oh yes, it's in the same set. So sad. Cough, Blade decks are still around no less, it has a spot already, where's yours? Honestly though, He'll see play, but he's not that hot. It really comes down to whether or not control sticks around. If it doesn't he's amazing vs aggro, if control stays in the format like I suspect it will, he's terrible. Dissipate owns him hard and that's a great counter with all this flashback.

    Mikaeus - Ajani Gold-not-so-hot - Yeah...

    Mirror Mad Phantasm - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is total crap. It sure sounds like you could do all kind of cool shit, then you try to put it into practice. If I couldn't come up with even a remotely useful idea with it that couldn't be done with other cards better, then the chances are fairly small it's useful.

    Reaper from the Abyss + Actually decent in Standard only. I kind of like this guy despite how expensive he is. 6 isn't too shabby for a guy who's going to double all your critter kill from there on out. Probably won't gain much, but he's still worth getting a couple if you play standard.

    Other mythics are kind of jank.

    Bloodline Keeper + Anything that sits over on your side and spews out tokens is usually good. The fact you get to do something with said spewed tokens is gravy. Slow, but reminds me of Skeletal Vampire. Standard only of course.

    Champion of the Parish = This is probably worth watching just because he's efficient. White weenie hasn't been good in ages though.

    Curse of Stalked Prey + I only mention this one since I thought of 5 infinite damage combos with this one right off the top of my head and 4 of them were only 2 card combos with it. Interesting to think about, though nothing really seemed worth building a deck around. Legacy only of course. The goblin in Standard that pings is pretty scary though.

    Kesseg Wolf Run + Seems pretty decent in legacy since most of the best critters never seem to have trample. Obviously good in standard too.

    Laboratory Maniac + I'm going to actually say there's a deck here. I played around with it and made this fun deck that's actually quite vicious. I pulled off a turn 3 kill with it and it wasn't anything all that hard to do. Worldly Tutors/BoPs/Thought Lash/Force/Misdirection/Daze/some other techy green card I forgot. You get the idea. I probably had too much beer thinking up that pile though.

    Stony Silence + Tutorable with Enlightened in Legacy and a tad harder to kill than Null Rod, Null Rod in Standard. Worth a couple of bucks to be sure. Nothing expensive, but good.

    Undead Alchemist + There's a Standard deck waiting to be built with this guy. I'm trying.



    Anyway, most of the rares aren't worth getting worked up over. The werewolves are actually good btw. Luckily cheap too. The mythics are the only ones people care about anyway. So hope that helps somewhat while trading.

  16. #2756
    Member
    Cynicath's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Location

    California
    Posts

    57

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dahcmai View Post
    Probably someone who knew it was fake?






    Skaab Ruinator - Meet Dissipate, Skaab dude. Dissipate was played much more than you ever will be. Oh yes, it's in the same set. So sad. Cough, Blade decks are still around no less, it has a spot already, where's yours? Honestly though, He'll see play, but he's not that hot. It really comes down to whether or not control sticks around. If it doesn't he's amazing vs aggro, if control stays in the format like I suspect it will, he's terrible. Dissipate owns him hard and that's a great counter with all this flashback.

    I dunno... I think he'll see a ton of play in Birthing Pod decks. He's a decent threat pretty early in the 'chain', and BPs ability bypasses his additional cost and allows him to evade counters. He'll be pretty hot in standard IMO.

  17. #2757
    Member
    keys's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2006
    Location

    London
    Posts

    1,053

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    The same kind of person who would eat one with mustard at Gen-con.
    Is this a true story?

  18. #2758
    doesn't afraid of anything
    majikal's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2009
    Location

    in ur tournament, judgin ur gamez
    Posts

    1,253

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by keys View Post
    Is this a true story?
    100% true story. It was probably 1996 or 1997, some guy waltzes into the card game room in the middle of a Magic tournament, holds up a Black Lotus, smothers it in mustard, and chows down on it in front of everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This isn't the game of holding hands and friendship. This is a competitive game, and if we all sit around singing kumbaya and sucking each other's dicks, then a lot of people are going to go to a tournament and lose because their pile of 61 jank isn't the special unique snowflake that everyone on the Source says it was.

  19. #2759
    Member

    Join Date

    Jan 2007
    Location

    Milwaukee, WI, USA
    Posts

    287

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    The gentleman with the Darksteel Lotus is now fairly convinced that it is fake, and he has talked with ABU, who still claim it is real, and he is sending it to BGS for them to determine whether or not it is counterfeit. I suggested T&T or SCG instead, but we will see.

  20. #2760

    Re: [Official] Bitching About Prices and Reprints Thread

    The plot thickens. Although, does T&T and SCG authenticate cards? Is it a service, do you have to pay them?

    And if it come back as real? I guess he'll be pretty annoyed with you ;)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)