Page 57 of 197 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3936

Thread: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

  1. #1121
    Member
    Zupponn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Wisconsin
    Posts

    536

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Fair enough. That makes sense. I guess I haven't seen enough of the newer versions of elves with Deathrite Shaman. The older versions uses to be pretty resistant to Moon effects.

  2. #1122

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Morning all. I've been playing around with the deck's threat base. Is Seething Song still a bad card for this deck? I was looking at a big version that ran Moltensteel Dragon with Thundermaw Hellkite. It seems like 3 of those with 4 Hound of Griselbrand gives you some solid threats. Also, if I can't get my hands on City of Traitors at the moment, which of these should I use as a substitute: Crystal Vein or Sandstone Needle?

  3. #1123
    Member

    Join Date

    Oct 2012
    Location

    Italy
    Posts

    322

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn
    Fair enough. That makes sense. I guess I haven't seen enough of the newer versions of elves with Deathrite Shaman. The older versions uses to be pretty resistant to Moon effects.
    The typical manabase of today's elves decks is 8/9 fetchlands, 3-4 gaea's cradle, 3 duals, 1 dryad arbor, 2/3 forests.
    It's then true that a lot of their creatures produce mana, so they can keep on playing under a blood moon with 1 forest or 1 mana dork out, but a turn 1 blood moon can sure slow them down a lot and in some cases just be game.

    Of course, if you have removal like pyrokinesis or pyroclasm in sideboard you must bring them in, so cutting some moon effects it's a possibility if you can't cut anything else.

    Overall i think that dragon Stompy is well positioned against elves because both chalice at 1 , trinisphere and moon effects are relevant. Add some removal to this and you just win... considering also that they don't have any creature removal except for abrupt decay in sideboard.

  4. #1124
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,843

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    And the only way we elf players can cast Decay under Moon us with a Birchlore Ranger's. The reason being we have no basic swamp and if we can't crack a fetch then we can't use Deathrite. Unless we have to by slowing down and discarding manually.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  5. #1125
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,257

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Entromancer View Post
    If I can't get my hands on City of Traitors at the moment, which of these should I use as a substitute: Crystal Vein or Sandstone Needle?
    Crystal Vein seems more like what City of Traitors does. Coming into play tapped disqualifies Sandstone Needle.

    I'm not a huge fan of Seething Song.

  6. #1126
    Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Dice_Box's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2013
    Location

    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.
    Posts

    4,843

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    As far as I know Crystal Vein is used in place of City of Traitors in MtgO when City of Traitors was not available.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

  7. #1127

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    I finally played into a legacy tournament again with the following decklist:

    1 Dismember
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Rakka Mar
    4 Hanweir Watchkeep/Bane of Hanweir
    3 Instigator Gang/Wildblood Pack
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    9 Mountain
    3 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Stone Rain.

    It might seem odd, but again i didn't have all the cards i wanted so i asked a friend to lend me some.

    1) Werewolf Stompy 2 - UWb Miracles 0; i was luck incarnate in this match while my opponent was badluck.

    2) Werewolf Stompy 0 - UW miracles 2: both times he locked me out with counterbalance+ sensei divining top

    3) Werewolf Stompy 0 - Merfolk 2

    4) Werewolf Stompy 1 - Patriot delver 2

    Things i learned:

    1) Mulligan aggresively
    2) be cool
    3) rtc


    I lost this tournament but at least i get to play the deck, the only gripe i had was that Hanweir Watchkeep/Bane of Hanweir was almost useless.
    I think i will test the deck more then modify it.
    Koth in 1 x was perfect.

    I need something in the Sb for the Islands i hate that card

  8. #1128
    Member
    Zupponn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Wisconsin
    Posts

    536

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorker View Post
    2) Werewolf Stompy 0 - UW miracles 2: both times he locked me out with counterbalance+ sensei divining top
    I'm a little unsure as to how this happened, but ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorker View Post
    gripe i had was that Hanweir Watchkeep/Bane of Hanweir was almost useless.
    Is it because he never flipped? That's why I don't like him.

  9. #1129

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    @Zupponn: The second u/w i made a lot of misplays, but also Hanweir Watchkeep/Bane of Hanweir never flipped the whole tournament( i think she hates me).

    Also i ha to explain 50% of the time the time some interactions:

    Chalice of the void + Trinisphere

    Humility + Magus of the moon


    Revoker on the elvish version of scimian spirit guide.


    Ps: no one figured out that he can destroy non basic lands, wasta style, with a bloodmoon effect in play

  10. #1130
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,257

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorker View Post
    Ps: no one figured out that he can destroy non basic lands, wasta style, with a bloodmoon effect in play
    You lost me here... What does this mean?

    ------------------------------

    Late report from last Wednesday. This list, +2 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage, -1 Stone Rain, -1 Koth of the Hammer.

    28 players. Four rounds, then cut to top 8. Top 4 get prizes.

    Round 1 - Avery playing Combo Lands - 2-1
    Game 1 I mull to 6 and he kills me turn 4 swinging with a 20/20 flying, indestructible token.
    Game 2 he tried to get around my Blood Moon with a Mox Diamond but Ingot Chewer stops that.
    Game 3 he takes a mulligan and I lead with RPD, follow it up turn 2 with a morph. I swing turn 3 for 13, it's over turn 4.

    Round 2 - Adam playing Punishing Jund - 2-1
    Game 1 he goes to 6. Blood Moon and Magus make him scoop.
    Game 2 he correctly takes my Mox after I kept a 1 land hand. I draw an Ancient Tomb and land a Blood Moon. His Goyf does too much damage and double bolt kills me.
    Game 3 he mulls and lands a DRS through my Blood Moon, but cannot get anything useful into either yard... We trade cards until I land a Koth, make an emblem and take the game.

    Round 3 - Anthony playing Shardless BUG 2-0
    Game 1 I mull to 6 and get lucky to draw both of my FtK to kills his Goyf and DRS. Blood Moon gives me the game.
    Game 2 we both mulligan but he goes to 5. I land Magus and win.

    Round 4 - Tocco playing ANT 0-2
    Tocco is very good and I need practice. I make him play the round. He punishes me for it.
    Game 1 he leads and wins turn 2 after my turn of "Mountain, go".
    Game 2 I start with "Mountain, go" (again...). He cantrips and sends it back. I finally play a spell! CotV@1. He goes for it by tutoring for LED with Infernal Tutor. I take the Past in Flames and something else from his yard with a Faerie Macabre and win from there!
    Game 3 he starts by taking my Mox. I start with Cotv@1. He wins around it by dropping 3 LEDs turn 2 and playing Ad Nauseam, finding the Abrupt Decay he needs to finish comboing.

    I finish 4th.

    Top 8
    Round 5 - Chris playing Dredge - 0-2
    I keep a hand with 3 City of Traitors . He mulls to 6 and starts with a Putrid Imp. I lead with CotV@1 and follow it with a 3sphere but he gets there cause dredge...
    I board in a bunch and play a Mountain and pass the turn... He stomps me hard. Meh...

  11. #1131

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Pretty cool report. How are you liking the four Koth main deck?

    Also, how has confusion in the ranks helped you? Is it just mainly there for Show and Tell side board?

    Lastly has the Jitte been as useful sense the legendary rule change?

    Keep up the good work and keep tweaking the list. The deck has potential, and artifact hate besides abrupt decay seems to be on a decline at this moment.

  12. #1132
    Member
    Zupponn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Wisconsin
    Posts

    536

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    I can't speak for Ace, but I feel that Confusion is pretty close to necessary in order to beat Show and Tell decks. It stops Omni-Show dead in its tracks and can help you steal an Emrakul as well.

    Jitte wins games. Before the rule change I was running it not to kill my opponent's, but because a creature carrying a Jitte is one of the most scary things in magic. The advantage that an active Jitte can give you can be insurmountable for some decks to overcome. I've played around with builds that have run a full four in the main because it's that good, but now I'm happy with two because you only need one to take over a game.

  13. #1133

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    @Ace/Homebrew, that you can destroy non basic lands with a bloodmoon effect in play

    @Strassbaw: i playtested the first list i posted the one with 1 koth, the jitte is the 61st card i've seen it a few times but oh boy it rocked.

  14. #1134

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    You'll never lose to merfolk with goblin stompy especially with 4 ensnaring bridge in sb....
    Siege-gang commander is also good against jace last time I checked.

  15. #1135

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    This Goblin Stompy build looks like alot of fun.

    Food for thought: Since you're running tons of 2-power creatures in that version, what about Imperial Recruiter? It can grab pretty much everything in the deck and it would increase the consistency of the deck even further. It would also be a nice engine with Kiki which Recruiter can fetch, making it almost a 1-card combo if you have the mana ready.

    Actually, the more I think about it, Recruiter could be quite amazing here if the tempo loss is worth it.
    Including Phyrexian Revoker and Faerie Macabre . Very nice!

    Almost positive I'm going to try "Goblin Stomby" @ Starcity Cincy a week from Sunday. Been testing "red" stompy for about five weeks now. Started with Wolf then a blend with 3-4 equipment and now been playing around with Goblin ever since reading about it here and realizing Moggcatcher is a "human (!)." Having a Cavern on Human (sometimes Goblin) is sooooooo good. Will share my results if I pull the trigger.

  16. #1136

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Now the goblin stompy list got me curious too XD, it's still the same of page 55 or did it undergo some changes?

  17. #1137

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    I'm wondering, in an red stompy (Goblin, Werewolf or Dragon), do you think Gauntlet of Might could be added ? It provides a nice boost for either our beaters and our manapool. RDP could have a double Hatred buff.

  18. #1138
    Tundra Player
    alphastryk's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Location

    Atlanta
    Posts

    1,072

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    So I've been encouraged to post my list for Human 'Dragon' Stompy here. Instigator Gang is not really that exciting or powerful, so I propose going big with Godo, Bandit Warlord (+ Batterskull).

    This is my list from the last time I played it:


    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    7 Mountain
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Hanweir Watchkeep
    2 Godo, Bandit Warlord
    2 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Seething Song
    2 Mondronen Shaman
    2 Taurean Mauler


    Sideboard:

    3 Bonfire of the Damned
    4 Faerie Macabre
    3 Manic Vandal
    2 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    3 Confusion in the Ranks

  19. #1139
    Member
    Zupponn's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    Wisconsin
    Posts

    536

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Zorker View Post
    Now the goblin stompy list got me curious too XD, it's still the same of page 55 or did it undergo some changes?
    My list hasn't changed from page 55, except for a little sideboard tweaking here and there. I'm not sure if Blastoderm's has or not.

    @alphastryk: I was thinking about Godo for a while as well, but never got around to testing him. The main thing that turned me off was his 6 CMC. He is a pretty big threat that brings Batterskull or utility equipment to the party though.

  20. #1140
    Tundra Player
    alphastryk's Avatar
    Join Date

    Feb 2011
    Location

    Atlanta
    Posts

    1,072

    Re: [Deck] Dragon Stompy

    Quote Originally Posted by Zupponn View Post
    My list hasn't changed from page 55, except for a little sideboard tweaking here and there. I'm not sure if Blastoderm's has or not.

    @alphastryk: I was thinking about Godo for a while as well, but never got around to testing him. The main thing that turned me off was his 6 CMC. He is a pretty big threat that brings Batterskull or utility equipment to the party though.
    Yeah, Godo can be hard to cast, and I think requires you to play Seething Song. That said, he isn't that much harder to cast than Arc Slogger used to be and i never had problems there either.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)