Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1578

Thread: 4 Card Blind

  1. #41
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,176

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    I'm fine with a predetermined banned list to start, but I think Mental Misstep needs to be legal to act as 'policeman'. There needs to be some risk to going all-in.

  2. #42
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Location

    Maastricht, NL
    Posts

    1,322

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    I'm fine with a predetermined banned list to start, but I think Mental Misstep needs to be legal to act as 'policeman'. There needs to be some risk to going all-in.
    Right now, Misstep isn't on the banned list.
    I don't even think it's all that good, as most of the really dangerous stuff costs more than one mana.

  3. #43
    Bob Ross
    Kap'n Cook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2012
    Location

    West Coast
    Posts

    543

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Hanni had already asked, but are we bound to singleton?
    Strawberry Shortcake

    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

    What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

  4. #44
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,291

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    I say start with your already established list of cards in the first few posts as bans. All of them make a ton of sense. This way if someone is reading through the thread they won't be confused.

    So for the first round I support doing this:
    A: We could discuss for a few more days and try to decide on a decent banning list.

    All cards currently on the banned list, plus:
    - Raze
    - Force of Will
    - Daze
    - Thoughtseize
    - Duress
    - Inquisition of Kozilek
    - Wasteland
    - Ghost Quarter
    - Dark Depths
    - Dark Ritual
    - Show and Tell
    - Burning Inquiry
    - Laboratory Maniac
    - Chancellor of the Annex
    - Reanimate
    - Trinisphere


    That is plenty of restriction already. Busted interactions will become known soon enough.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  5. #45
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,176

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Why Force of Will? Seems pretty unplayable.
    Duress feels pretty safe too.
    And again, I'm going to lobby to allow Mental Misstep.

    Also, I believe establishing a tiebreaker of 'highest life-total wins in the event of a draw' will reduce the number of draws.

  6. #46
    Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Hanni's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2006
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    2,620

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Why Force of Will? Seems pretty unplayable.
    Duress feels pretty safe too.
    And again, I'm going to lobby to allow Mental Misstep.

    Also, I believe establishing a tiebreaker of 'highest life-total wins in the event of a draw' will reduce the number of draws.
    I'm not sure I agree with allowing Duress, but Mental Misstep seems fine.

    I agree with Force of Will not needing to be banned, and I like the tiebreaker rule.

    I'm not sure that Raze is worth being banned either? Wasteland and Ghost Quarter make sense, but Raze costs two resources to deal with one land, which seems fine. There needs to be some sort of balanced way to deal with lands, no?
    Sligh
    Mentor Deathblade
    The Mind Harvester
    Wb Tokens
    4c Nobleblade

    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

  7. #47
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Location

    Maastricht, NL
    Posts

    1,322

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Hanni had already asked, but are we bound to singleton?
    Nope. Unless a card is restricted for other reasons, all cards may be played four times.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with allowing Duress, but Mental Misstep seems fine.
    I agree with Force of Will not needing to be banned, and I like the tiebreaker rule.
    I'm not sure that Raze is worth being banned either? Wasteland and Ghost Quarter make sense, but Raze costs two resources to deal with one land, which seems fine. There needs to be some sort of balanced way to deal with lands, no?
    Force of Will is too good. It just is. The extra card isn't all that relevant if you get to stop (almost) anything.
    Duress is on there because it's not fun, and because Seize and Inquisition are also on there. Besides, we don't need it.

    Raze we might be able to allow back in, but it does completely screw almost every slow strategy, which is sad.

  8. #48
    Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Hanni's Avatar
    Join Date

    Aug 2006
    Location

    Columbus, OH
    Posts

    2,620

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Nope. Unless a card is restricted for other reasons, all cards may be played four times.


    Force of Will is too good. It just is. The extra card isn't all that relevant if you get to stop (almost) anything.
    Duress is on there because it's not fun, and because Seize and Inquisition are also on there. Besides, we don't need it.

    Raze we might be able to allow back in, but it does completely screw almost every slow strategy, which is sad.
    I mean, Smallpox is going to have a similar effect to hurting slow strategies. Swamp, Lotus Petal, Small Pox, Nether Spirit probably wrecks most decks.
    Sligh
    Mentor Deathblade
    The Mind Harvester
    Wb Tokens
    4c Nobleblade

    Quote Originally Posted by MMogg View Post
    In porn terms, Zoo has a 11" shlong and an impressive money shot, but it's over in 4 minutes, whereas Landstill is a good 8" and can go for 30 minutes.

  9. #49
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,176

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    What's an oppressive 4-card combo with FoW?

    FoW
    Blue Card
    Presumably a land
    A one-mana threat?

    Either they counter your threat and can't protect theirs from your removal (and lose because they paid 1 life), or they protect their threat and have to hope it's bigger than yours...

    Duress can only take a card that is enabling something broken. Lands and creatures are pretty fair.

  10. #50
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Jul 2011
    Location

    Maastricht, NL
    Posts

    1,322

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    I mean, Smallpox is going to have a similar effect to hurting slow strategies. Swamp, Lotus Petal, Small Pox, Nether Spirit probably wrecks most decks.
    Smallpox might actually be banworthy.

    But I sense adversion against many bannings.
    So you guys would like FoW, Duress and Raze to stay in?
    We could try the format with them and re-evaluate after a few rounds.

  11. #51
    plays Mountains
    Ace/Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2011
    Location

    Philadelphia Area
    Posts

    2,176

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    But I sense adversion against many bannings.
    So you guys would like FoW, Duress and Raze to stay in?
    We could try the format with them and re-evaluate after a few rounds.
    I would prefer that! It's not like anyone has to own cards, and it appears each 'tournament' occurs pretty rapidly once the deck lists are revealed. Should be easy to spot offenders and take action based on results.

    I'm getting pretty psyched for this honestly.

  12. #52

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Island
    Shelldock Isle
    Emrakul, the Aeon's Torn
    Sphinx of Foresight
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    It's like arguing your way out of a speeding ticket by saying "it's not like I'm wearing oven mitts, officer."
    Twenty Kavus and a Dream is NOT a Legacy deck.

  13. #53
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Apr 2014
    Posts

    942

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    The storage lands seem really broken in this format.

    Cavern Harpy
    Parasitic Strix
    Aluren
    Hollow Trees/Rushwood Grove

    Dwarven Hold/Mercadian Bazaar
    Sneak Attack
    Emrakul
    Chancellor of the Annex

    1 more:

    Icatian Store/ Fountain of Cho
    Maze of Ith
    Chancellor of the Annex
    Misstep
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

    I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

    Good day.

  14. #54

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    What's an oppressive 4-card combo with FoW?
    I don't think it would be oppressive, but I was thinking something cute like:

    Force of Will
    Misthollow Griffin
    Saprazzan Skerry
    City of Traitors

    Or something like that.

  15. #55
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,359

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Just call it.
    If something is broken it'll be 12-1 and you can ban it next week.
    Enough thinktanking, let's throw down!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  16. #56
    Site Contributor

    Join Date

    Apr 2014
    Posts

    942

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Burning Inquiry seems busted too

    Mountain
    Burning Inquiry
    Chancellor of the Annex
    Memnite/Rootwalla or any other 0 mana 1/1

    e: didn't realize it was already banned.
    Last edited by CptHaddock; 02-13-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

    I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

    Good day.

  17. #57
    Is Cancer

    Join Date

    Jul 2014
    Posts

    1,145

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    I think if burning Inquiry is out it's a little easier to brew. I'd also consider banning chalice, since this format is even more defined by 0-drops (lotus petal) and 1-drops; meaning it insta-gibs most plays; which is mostly viable because you banned wasteland. There are counters to the City/Chalice decks however without wasteland:

    Damping Sphere
    Crystal Vein
    2 Mishra's Factory

    beats the Nether Shadow decks by being able to block and attack through 2/2s (play CV first, don't play sphere, play factorys as you go after that so that you can't lose a factory)

    beats Hanni's chalice OTP and OTD by deterministically keeping TKS off the table and just attacking with a 2/2

    I think it beats the Kird Ape deck: If they raze first, they can't bolt a factory > Kird ape. If they Bolt first, you can make Factory a 4/4 in response, trading with ape. No line can beat both factories.

    ___
    Another reasonable one is

    Leyline of Vitality
    Lotus Petal
    Sheltered Valley
    Bitterblossom

    which chumps anything while slowly gaining life, minus T1 land destruction; but loses to the big tramplers. Loses OTP to Hanni's chalice though (as do all Lotus petal or 1-drop strategies..), I think it beats the Damping Sphere deck by waiting until you have 2-3 tokens, and just chumping every turn while flying in a couple damager per turn.

    if you unban wasteland and swap Valley for Wasteland however it draw's Hanni's deck OTD and beats Heavyweights in either direction; while also beating the Kird-Ape deck, other blossom decks, (1/2s, life is static) and can probably race tramplers who are ~4/4 or so.

    ____
    If chalice was banned the new Retofitter foundry + factories + (something) would be pretty difficult to beat. It'd have the benefits of Factories, the benefits of unlimited tokens, and could make 4/4s if games went long. If wasteland was unbanned, I think it can also beat Hanni's and Heavyweights

    Retrofitter Foundry
    Wasteland
    2 Mishra's Factory


    _____

    Main findings being that Factory is pretty good; getting under chalice and beating most things. You usually want 2 though so you can attack as a 3/3 to break ties or block as a 4/4, as well as absorb multiple removal spells. Token producers seem good as long as you can shut off high-mana decks via Sphere or Wasteland; but you
    Quote Originally Posted by Nestalim View Post
    Wrong. Gideon Emblem protect you from losing and you can even open your binder and slam some cards on the board, not even the HJ can DQ you now.

  18. #58
    Member
    Mr. Safety's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2010
    Location

    New Gloucester, Maine, USA
    Posts

    4,291

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by kirkusjones View Post
    Island
    Shelldock Isle
    Emrakul, the Aeon's Torn
    Sphinx of Foresight
    Cards start in your hand, I already tried this! You need a way to get Emrakul back into your library.

    I agree with PirateKing, lets throw this down! I'm pretty interested in seeing what happens.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

  19. #59
    Site Contributor
    apple713's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jan 2012
    Location

    Manhattan, NY
    Posts

    2,090

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Keeping wasteland/ gq banned really makes maze of ith an issue
    Play 4 Card Blind!

    Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

    Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

    why cards are so expensive...hoarders

  20. #60
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,359

    Re: 4 Card Blind

    Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Keeping wasteland/ gq banned really makes maze of ith an issue
    Only if your WC is a single creature
    All of my ideas would do just fine against Maze
    "I have an idea, but it auto-loses to XYZ strategy"
    Well, welcome to the game; let's go!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. Tucane