Quote Originally Posted by Davran View Post
Personally, I think a large part of the need for any sort of banlist has more to do with poor deckbuilding and bad play decisions (e.g. poor threat assessment) than the power level of any given card, but I guess that's the "spike" in me talking. Of course there are still things that aren't particularly fair or balanced (e.g. Yawgmoth's Bargain, Balance) that warrant inclusion, but ultimately this is a casual format.
Its not my Turbo-Eldrazi.

The problem became too obvious when I came to the local club. You know my blue Teferi deck - I consider it to be balanced between casual and power. Owner of the Turbo-Eldrazi EDH already make some show with his deck in 1 vs 1 play, and guy from the club became totally scared of mixing casual and PRO players. Since I wanted to make some EDH tournaments (Not Duel commander) he came to me and start arguing that we need to change banlist, or to have different sort of limitation.

Suddenly my blue deck became "blacklisted" because its using combos, while the turbo-eldrazi was not "blacklisted" due this reason simply because "its not combo". According to the list you can imagine power level of the deck. This was just the situation I did not want to see.

When I told him that 4 FFA multiplayer simply does not work like this, that "biggest threat" is focused on, he didnt listened. Every guy involved in some variation of commander with exception of me argued, that "politics" should not be part of play, only deck and playing should matter. Then I realized that I am in wrong place.

So the main question which remained:

How to make EDH tournament, with current rules, banlists, 4 players FFA, with entry fee and prizes and still remain casual?

a) Change banlist and rules - I am strongly against it
b) Drop casual, make tournament for competetive - That actually happened this month.

What I hear from other playgroups, everything is fine with current rules and banlists, because people understand the casual fun behind politics. However not our case.