Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 326

Thread: The Adept System (SB)

  1. #281
    Are you the real Batman?
    The Rack's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2006
    Location

    San Diego
    Posts

    602

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    yeah, you got me, I only read the useful posts.

    Now explain why this is detrimental?
    it's just proving my point, not everyone is being equally recognized, I guess that's a good thing to you but not for me. It's funny that you and PR are on the totally opposite ends of the spectrum and not once have you addressed each other but rather me.
    This is my Signature

  2. #282
    */*
    Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2004
    Location

    Syracuse, NY
    Posts

    207,137

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rack View Post
    it's just proving my point, not everyone is being equally recognized, I guess that's a good thing to you but not for me. It's funny that you and PR are on the totally opposite ends of the spectrum and not once have you addressed each other but rather me.
    Neither one of them have a problem with it. You do.

  3. #283
    Are you the real Batman?
    The Rack's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2006
    Location

    San Diego
    Posts

    602

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Neither one of them have a problem with it. You do.
    Prove it.
    This is my Signature

  4. #284
    Faerie Godfather

    Join Date

    Jul 2005
    Location

    Finland
    Posts

    1,617

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    But everyone is considered based on what they say, not what's their postcount, name colour, birthday, horoscope, sexuality or even the dreaded jewitude (I mean, look at Zach roll). I don't see absolutely anything wrong with that. Isn't that precisely how it should work? I haven't noticed people listening to me any more or less compared to the time before my promotion.

    Those who listen to me do so because they've noticed I tend to only talk when I know what I'm talking about, and conversely those who don't don't listen to me because they've noticed I'm totally clueless. Neither of those groups does what they do because I'm an adept, but because of my posting history and the level of grip on the game I've presented. If I suddenly became a lot more knowledgable, the people who presently ignore me would probably start playing attention and if I fell on my head, many who presently listen to me would put me on ignore. That again has nothing to do with the colour of my name.


    Adepthood serves to encourage people to clean up their act and to strive to contribute. That's definitely a positive contribution, and the system does that very well as things stand. Many posters (I'm not naming anyone) have improved a ton over their stay here and I don't think the Adept-system is an inconsequential part of that.

    Also, Adepthood serves to identify the people who have shown to know what they're talking about. This isn't exclusive - it doesn't serve to identify those who don't know what they're talking about; it's a kind of an "at least these guys"-list. More are added as people qualify (it isn't instantaneous - the people doing the electing are humans too), but the fact that everyone who could potentially be an adept isn't doesn't detract from the utility of the system serving to help people to recognize who others find knowledgable. Again, it doesn't mean only those people know what they're talking about, but it does mean that if an adept is disagreeing with you, they probably have a reason to. Wrong reason? Possibly. No reason? Unlikely. People will make their own decisions on who to listen to and that list will probably include Adepts and non-Adepts, but generally starting people will know that Adepts have, at least to some degree, proven themselves so they aren't totally full of crap.


    Also, is it just me or is this thread going in circles? The topic was just what I'm talking about for the first few pages, then it was a few pages about the buzz forum and then again a few pages about this. *shrug*

  5. #285
    Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

    Join Date

    Oct 2003
    Posts

    3,195

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rack View Post
    it's just proving my point, not everyone is being equally recognized, I guess that's a good thing to you but not for me. It's funny that you and PR are on the totally opposite ends of the spectrum and not once have you addressed each other but rather me.
    But people aren't equally good at expressing good ideas, or even having those ideas in the first place.

    re: proof that you have a problem with it: why would you even bother mentioning it?
    When in doubt, mumble.

    When in trouble, delegate.

  6. #286
    The King of Lockjobs
    Peter_Rotten's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2003
    Location

    Middle of Nowhere, NY
    Posts

    1,214

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    I'm awake, filled with one cup of coffee and going on to the second.

    Is it safe to say that this thead can be locked now? I'll try to organize/salvage some of the Buzz forum posts.

    PM me if you really feel the need to post in this thread, but I think that if you want to further discuss Adepts, regular members, or post counts, you can probably do it in Bovinious' poll. http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...695#post266695

    edit: opened by request.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

  7. #287

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    The adept system had been a horribly broken and terrible idea from the start. It has gotten better since my last post but still needs a ways to go before I can take most of the members seriously enough.

  8. #288

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    How can it bother you that much? If you don't like the system, ignore it. Read threads and find your own 'adepts' to follow.

  9. #289
    The King of Lockjobs
    Peter_Rotten's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2003
    Location

    Middle of Nowhere, NY
    Posts

    1,214

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    How can it bother you that much? If you don't like the system, ignore it. Read threads and find your own 'adepts' to follow.
    This is clearly not possible. If a member were to ignore an Adept, then we would hunt him down and remove his kneecaps.

    Anwar - ooops, I mean TheJack - should be ignored because of his low post count anyway.

    Seriously. What harm is the system doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

  10. #290
    Please read my signature.

    Join Date

    Jul 2004
    Posts

    1,515

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Just a clarification, but that is not something Anwar would ever do. If Anwar had a problem he wanted to state, he would say it. He wouldn't make a new account in order to hide his identity.
    For the foreseeable future, expect to see less of me. I've lost my internet connection, and so I'll only be able to get on by siphoning free Wi-Fi from the surrounding areas. Which isn't always consistent.

    Plus, the guy that I used to leech off of has now instituted password protection. This means that I effectively do not have internet at home. :(

  11. #291
    */*
    Nightmare's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2004
    Location

    Syracuse, NY
    Posts

    207,137

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    Just a clarification, but that is not something Anwar would ever do. If Anwar had a problem he wanted to state, he would say it. He wouldn't make a new account in order to hide his identity.
    Yes, we're all aware of this. Still, someone's been sharing IP addresses.

  12. #292
    The King of Lockjobs
    Peter_Rotten's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2003
    Location

    Middle of Nowhere, NY
    Posts

    1,214

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    Just a clarification, but that is not something Anwar would ever do. If Anwar had a problem he wanted to state, he would say it. He wouldn't make a new account in order to hide his identity.
    I agree. But they are the only two members with that IP. Does Anwar have a little brother ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

  13. #293
    Clay Aiken
    URABAHN's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2005
    Location

    Mooshie's Grove
    Posts

    1,850

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Seriously. What harm is the system doing?
    Lazy Thinking

    and

    B) The Adept system is status quo encouraging and pointless
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

  14. #294
    The King of Lockjobs
    Peter_Rotten's Avatar
    Join Date

    Oct 2003
    Location

    Middle of Nowhere, NY
    Posts

    1,214

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Zur View Post
    So to summarize, a small group which which the mods could discuss community issues sounds fine, but I don't like the elitism in our current system. I think it creates conflict and encourages lazy thinking.
    Well, I do find this to be worthwhile. Maybe we should abolish the current Adept system and leave an - "Hey, the Mods value your opinion about the board Group."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

  15. #295
    Curmudgeon
    SpatulaOfTheAges's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2004
    Location

    Brussels
    Posts

    2,939

    Re: The Adept System (SB)


    I should clarify that I wasn't exactly agreeing; I was pointing out that the complaint was there and not limited to trolls.

    I think the main problem is that the name just isn't accurate. I think someone suggested "Grouchy Old Men". That's more accurate.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

  16. #296
    Member
    Bardo's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2004
    Location

    Portland, Oregon
    Posts

    3,844

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    You know, I've thought about this quite a bit over the past few days. I started in the "um, who gives a fuck?" camp, moved to the "let's change the color of everyone's (admins included) username to blue" camp (camp occupancy: 1), then went along with the "fuck the adept group, let's delete it" camp for a day or two.

    In the end, I've come full circle. I'm not convinced there's an actual "problem" that deleting the "Legacy Adept" user group will actually solve. Will it somehow improve Legacy deck innovation? I really fucking doubt it. Good ideas tend to speak for themselves, and bad ideas, regardless of who is speaking them, prove to be pretty worthless in short order.

    Does having a "Legacy Adept" group encourage the "status quo?" For one, I don't even know what that means. Does Legacy have a status quo? If so, enlighten me. I've been following the evolution of this format since 9/1/04 and have seen it shift regularly. We've seen Goblins-heavy metas, Flash, Threshold, but mainly a dynamic, vibrant and evolving format. I can neither blame nor praise the Adept group for that. Change seems to happen on its own accord.

    To me, being an Adept is a sort of "this guy is worth listening" stamp of approval. They're not always right, they're not frequently wrong and I don't really see the harm in dispensing these badges from time to time. Seems harmless, at worst.

    So, at the end of the day, what value is there in fixing something that isn't broken? In short, who gives a fuck?

  17. #297
    Member
    raharu's Avatar
    Join Date

    Jun 2007
    Location

    Scrubington
    Posts

    1,072

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Nobody, honestly.
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

    If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

  18. #298
    <3

    Join Date

    Jun 2006
    Location

    Kenmore, WA
    Posts

    517

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    To me, being an Adept is a sort of "this guy is worth listening" stamp of approval. They're not always right, they're not frequently wrong and I don't really see the harm in dispensing these badges from time to time. Seems harmless, at worst.
    In all honesty if that is all that being an adept is, there should be a lot more adepts (and possibly some people that are adepts shouldn't be, but I don't know).

  19. #299
    Shake that.
    Skeggi's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2008
    Location

    Amsterdam
    Posts

    2,047

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Anwar - ooops, I mean TheJack - should be ignored because of his low post count anyway.
    Look at your own postcount, lol
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

  20. #300
    Not Banned
    THEchubbymuffin's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2007
    Location

    Portland, OR
    Posts

    218

    Re: The Adept System (SB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I started in the "um, who gives a fuck?" camp
    I never left the camp.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)