"Magical feelings" or simply said sentiment doesn't go along with some kind of financial value but with memories you have while looking at the card. "Oh I remember when I played the Tropical Island and then got crushed by Belcher. Those were happy times."
Duals for 10$/E?! That would be awesome for the game.
WantToPonder
former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
Team MTG Berlin
The Dragonstorm
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm
The future is already here and it's called Commander.
I don't know about the rest of you but really the only Legacy cards that get played around here are in Commander decks.
RIP Legacy. Your new casual nature is affordable and appealing to a much wider base of players.
I think if you are looking into a format similar to legacy you should consider tiny leaders and not commander
French Commander (= optimized for 1v1) is the only Commander I as a competitive player enjoy. But I do enjoy it very much. We also often have tournaments for it at big Eternal events, which is great and makes me want to really buy into it.
It's just a shame that the terminology is still so ambiguous. When I sit down for a match of 1v1 "Commander", I don't want my opponent to turn1 Sol Ring.
Last edited by Julian23; 08-13-2015 at 04:32 PM.
The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
1. Discuss the unbanning ofLand TaxEarthcraft.
2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
4. Stifle Standstill.
5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).
I really do love the responses to my point.
But the lure of Modern is going to impact Legacy. $300 for an underground sea is a bit insane. It also doesn't help that Legacy tournaments are being held less often. I know for my area I see modern tournaments but not legacy.
Seconding this. Duel Commander (the 'official' terminology for it) is a surprisingly in-depth competitive format. It plays very much like 'Legacy-lite' and optimal deckbuilding leads you far astray from a multiplayer Commander deck, making it feel like an entirely new format. It's the only format I enjoy more than Legacy. The only hard part is convincing people that, yes, Sol Ring is very much broken ESPECIALLY if you're playing 1v1. No, Primeval Titan is not broken in a 1v1 game. Etc...
I would highly recommend any Legacy enthusiasts to check it out if you're looking for a new competitive format with eternal card pool to try.
Odd. I find modo commander to be a better 1v1 format than french rules. I feel it's less constrictive, has more depth and more decks. Clique, Edric, and Zur aren't banned. One of the best decks me and friends have made is 5 color OmniTell. Beats pretty much any board state and only has trouble against a few decks(anything faster like Hermit Druid, or otherwise Clique).
Edit : Also tucking rules were still in effect last I played. Which I love.
How do you sell booze and sanction events in the same place? I thought that was against some WotC policy?
In terms of local economy, Denver has been growing like crazy and our job market is doing pretty well, which gives me some hope. Still, in that MTGS article, you'll notice DEN is at or near the bottom for attendance numbers every time it shows up. Our scene has definitely declined over the past year or so too. I think part of it is because we had too many stores spread out all over town each trying to run an event on a different weeknight. As nice as it sounds, nobody's driving 30min across town to play on Monday when there's an event 15min away on Tuesday.
Another, more concerning issue is that a lot of the long-time players (myself included), just haven't felt like screwing with the format. The reasons vary, but everyone just seems to be feeling burnt out on Legacy lately (personally I could do without seeing another Delver of Secrets ever again). Several went to Modern, and a handful of us are just getting together to do casual stuff like cube or limited because there can be booze and food and a more laid-back atmosphere.
I'd love to turn it around somehow, but I don't know how to get anyone else back into the format when I can't seem to get myself excited about it.
I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel
"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)